IGNORED

Which Duggar Will Escape First?

MyMilkshake

EW. I'm so glad you got out of there safely and filed a report - I hope he never drives again. I really want the Uber app to have an option where you can basically check an antisocial box indicating that you don't want to chat. I want to get in the car, make sure they know where I'm going and then be left alone until I'm at my destination. I use Uber all the time because I hate driving/parking, and I'm so tired of chatty drivers that want to make small talk when I'm very intentionally glued to my phone.

That's my main issue with Uber.  I really don't want to talk to drivers and would prefer they keep their minds and their eyes on the road.  Most city cab drivers barely acknowledge riders, and I'm quite fine with that.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First, I'd like to say I hate that Black Friday has creeped into Thanksgiving. I feel terrible for the retail workers who had to give up their holiday in the name of greed. I bet none of the executives who decided to open on Thanksgiving were working that day. 

Secondly, can somone please explain Jingers shoes to me? I mean I'm thrilled they aren't flip flops but I just don't get them.

So adorable! I wear reproduction vintage a lot, and those shoes are definitely up my alley.

I agree completely that the stores should not open on Thanksgiving or Christmas (or, for that matter, after noon on Xmas an NYEve).   I can tell you that the reason for the Thursday night shopping is competition from online shopping.  The brick-and-mortar stores are at a real disadvantage and trying all sorts of gimmicks to stay competitive.  

My solution would be that brick-and-mortar stores have great online sales where customers buy stuff online that they have to pick up at the store on Black Friday. This way the retail workers don't have to be there on Thursday night.

People are just inconsiderate.  I spent a lot of years working at B&N and at least once a year before Thanksgiving and/or Christmas we'd get at least one "Are you open tomorrow?" call where the person just wanted to have a place to hang out after the holiday meal.  Seriously??  STAY HOME.

As far as the shop online Thursday, pick up in store Friday is a great compromise.  Not only would it help stores combat online shopping, but it would guarantee traffic into their stores Black Friday

Black Friday shopping on Thanksgiving does not bother me at all.  I worked every.single.holiday for 10 years straight working at a movie theater.  Nobody cares if they get the day off.  :kitty-shifty:

I used to work retail and I'm not close with my family, so I didn't mind all that much when I worked holidays because I got paid 1.5 times my normal pay. I can see why it's a problem in general though, since most people would love to spend that time with their families. I don't shop on Thanksgiving or Black Friday for that reason.

Black Friday shopping does not bother me at all.  I worked every.single.holiday for 10 years straight working at a movie theater.  Nobody cares if they get the day off.  :kitty-shifty:

I refuse to go to the movies on holidays. I think that theatres should be closed on holidays. There is NO reason why you should be subjecting people to work at a theatre just so you can watch movies on a holiday. Sit in your living room and watch something you already have or can stream. 

People are just inconsiderate.  I spent a lot of years working at B&N and at least once a year before Thanksgiving and/or Christmas we'd get at least one "Are you open tomorrow?" call where the person just wanted to have a place to hang out after the holiday meal.  Seriously??  STAY HOME.

As far as the shop online Thursday, pick up in store Friday is a great compromise.  Not only would it help stores combat online shopping, but it would guarantee traffic into their stores Black Friday

That is what I was thinking because opening on Thursday doesn't mean more total traffic (which is what the stores want).  It just means that some of the customers who would come on Friday come on Thursday.

Barnes and Noble, by the way, does not seem to have gotten into the "open on Thurs night" yet.  (Maybe it is less consideration for employees that realistic assessment that people will not rush to buy books and toys on Thanksgiving.)  

So if Jinger & jana were out shopping on Thursday night, WTH cooked their TG dinner? Michelle?! She can't do much more than scramble eggs from what I've seen, and the girls were up late making pies, so who? Poor 73 yo grandma & maybe Jessa? Altho from the pictures it looked like they went to ben's. Cooking a holiday meal for 20, 19,  18 ppl is no easy task, certainly not left to an amateur.

So if Jinger & jana were out shopping on Thursday night, WTH cooked their TG dinner? Michelle?! She can't do much more than scramble eggs from what I've seen, and the girls were up late making pies, so who? Poor 73 yo grandma & maybe Jessa? Altho from the pictures it looked like they went to ben's. Cooking a holiday meal for 20, 19,  18 ppl is no easy task, certainly not left to an amateur.

Joy?  Johannah?  Jennifer?  (Johannah is 10 now, and when the J-slaves were that age, they were cooking for a large family).  

We had a big family thanksgiving this year. 25 adults, 8 kids and 4 dogs. We all brought something, and could probably have fed twice that many.

A few days before, I'd helped bag thanksgiving dinners at our local food bank. Really makes you appreciate what you have.

Oh, and nobody had a fit when the 18 month old escaped from her bath and streaked through the living room. I thought about yelling Nike. :special-snowflake1:

That is what I was thinking because opening on Thursday doesn't mean more total traffic (which is what the stores want).  It just means that some of the customers who would come on Friday come on Thursday.

Barnes and Noble, by the way, does not seem to have gotten into the "open on Thurs night" yet.  (Maybe it is less consideration for employees that realistic assessment that people will not rush to buy books and toys on Thanksgiving.)  

If they thought they'd make enough money to make it worthwhile they definitely would.  Or would have until they started getting good press for being one of the stores that refuses to open on Thanksgiving.  But I spent 12 years working for BN.  We're never busy on Black Friday (except for Starbucks).  We were always busiest the week before Christmas when people were looking for hard to shop for or forgotten last minute presents.

If they thought they'd make enough money to make it worthwhile they definitely would.  Or would have until they started getting good press for being one of the stores that refuses to open on Thanksgiving.  But I spent 12 years working for BN.  We're never busy on Black Friday (except for Starbucks).  We were always busiest the week before Christmas when people were looking for hard to shop for or forgotten last minute presents.

I was at the local B&N this past Friday afternoon, and they were pretty swamped.  I guess it was people who had hit the bigger stores earlier. 

I know a lot of people who decided to have a "Thanksgiving lunch" instead of dinner. Also, let's be honest, the Duggars have no standard for food. They probably had crap like tatertot casserole that takes no time for them to make. 

Like others here, my first reaction to this thread was to think: hasn't Josh kind of already tried to escape? At least in one of the double lives he was leading? Then I realized that treating women purely as objects for your own sexual gratification is actually consistent with the tenets of his cult. So now I am not so sure that this was an attempt at worldliness, but rather the logical consequence of the patriarchy movement and the position of power he thought he was in. And as much as I think he is a cad, I hope he is the first one to really escape, because he seems to be acutely in need of real help. 

After that I want Anna, Jana, JD and Joy to get out of there!

But I agree with those who say Josie is the only one who has a chance. 

Black Friday shopping on Thanksgiving does not bother me at all.  I worked every.single.holiday for 10 years straight working at a movie theater.  Nobody cares if they get the day off.  :kitty-shifty:

I think it depends on where you live and the makeup of the retail workforce. I was the first person in high school and college to sign up for the holidays. I loved the extra money and was happy to give the days off to those with families.

Where I live now retail is heavily college students and empty nesters so they love the hours. My neighbors sister who is in her late 50's got over 70 hours at target last week. She said it will pay for her grandkids Christmas gifts.

When I worked retail I always liked the extra hours for the money while hating actually working on the holidays. Retail is soul sucking on a good day, but my god, people are at their worst when shopping during the holidays. 

Isn't it customary for Thanksgiving dinner to be really early, like at around 2pm? My family never sits down for tday dinner before 6 (and if I'm being honest, it's usually closer to 7) and people have always found that weird. 

When I worked retail I always liked the extra hours for the money while hating actually working on the holidays. Retail is soul sucking on a good day, but my god, people are at their worst when shopping during the holidays. 

Isn't it customary for Thanksgiving dinner to be really early, like at around 2pm? My family never sits down for tday dinner before 6 (and if I'm being honest, it's usually closer to 7) and people have always found that weird. 

I think it depends. Half the people I know eat before 3, the other half eat an actual dinner. The earliest my family has ever eaten was 3, and that was because people had to travel. 

I guess for me, I'd want to clarify what escape means.  

Is it simply not being ATI?

Not being on Boob's payroll?

Not being a conservative Christian?

Becoming atheist/agnostic?

I can see ATI going away on its own.  They're selling property, etc.  Sexual abuse lawsuits won't help.

Boob can't support all of the kids and their spouses and children.  He simply can't.  Some of them will actually have to get jobs and support themselves.  Sadly, unless they married spouses who have actual educations, it's unlikely to happen.  Having an education means they're less likely to believe all the wisdom booklet crap.  Can still be conservative, but less likely to be Gotthardites.

I can see many switch to other conservative Christian denominations.  Blessa will become Spungeonites.   Derrick does not seem to have drunk the ATI kook-aid.  

I agree that Josh has already left mentally.  I do think he has the potential for the best come-to-Jesus story.  But I see him being more of a generic Christian, rather than uber-Conservative/cultish.  Maybe "grace" can be his platform.

I would like to think Jana is already rebelling by not marrying and by protecting the little ones.  She is their mother.  Let's be honest.  Leaving isn't that easy.  

I think the kicker will be when either Jim-Boob or Michelle has some sort of health crisis or even dies.   Could Boob keep together the family after that? I see Jana being creepy stand-in wife, until Boob marries some 18 year old.  (Yes, I do think he'd do that... eh voila another 10-20 kids.)   Could Michelle keep it together if Boob died? No, I don't think so.  I think she's mentally not there and would just deteriorate.  

Let's face it; he makes all the decisions, prob. has sole decision-making on any purchases, questions every bill. She wouldn't know what to do if a real crisis arose. And I think the kids would fly the coop in record time.

I can't help but wonder what shape JB's heart is in. He certainly doesn't seem to have stuck to that diet. And there is a shitstorm of stuff coming down Michelle's path after all those pregnancies. I hope she doesn't go completely to pieces when she  starts the change. Altho I think she's pretty much in it, already.

I guess for me, I'd want to clarify what escape means.  

Is it simply not being ATI?

Not being on Boob's payroll?

Not being a conservative Christian?

Becoming atheist/agnostic?

I can see ATI going away on its own.  They're selling property, etc.  Sexual abuse lawsuits won't help.

Boob can't support all of the kids and their spouses and children.  He simply can't.  Some of them will actually have to get jobs and support themselves.  Sadly, unless they married spouses who have actual educations, it's unlikely to happen.  Having an education means they're less likely to believe all the wisdom booklet crap.  Can still be conservative, but less likely to be Gotthardites.

I can see many switch to other conservative Christian denominations.  Blessa will become Spungeonites.   Derrick does not seem to have drunk the ATI kook-aid.  

I agree that Josh has already left mentally.  I do think he has the potential for the best come-to-Jesus story.  But I see him being more of a generic Christian, rather than uber-Conservative/cultish.  Maybe "grace" can be his platform.

I would like to think Jana is already rebelling by not marrying and by protecting the little ones.  She is their mother.  Let's be honest.  Leaving isn't that easy.  

I think the kicker will be when either Jim-Boob or Michelle has some sort of health crisis or even dies.   Could Boob keep together the family after that? I see Jana being creepy stand-in wife, until Boob marries some 18 year old.  (Yes, I do think he'd do that... eh voila another 10-20 kids.)   Could Michelle keep it together if Boob died? No, I don't think so.  I think she's mentally not there and would just deteriorate.  

I honestly don't think that JB cares about having a million more kids. I think he knows that Michelle does, and I think that's fueled his desire, but I don't think he'd marry again to have more kids. I also think he really loves Michelle and he'd be devastated if she died before him, especially if she died young. I mean, he was more than willing to forget his pro life stance to save her life (let's be honest, Josie wasn't considered a late term abortion for the mere fact that modern medicine has come a long way and they were damn lucky). He seemed to be breaking at the mere thought of losing Michelle. I doubt he would cope well if she actually died. And I really don't see him marrying again. 

Michelle, I think, would marry again. Not that I don't think she's not in love or anything, but I think she'll hold fast to the idea that she needs a man to be her headship. Plus, I don't think that she'll be as broken without him as he would be without her. I think that she has something going on with some kind of emotional or mental imbalance because she doesn't really seem to have the kind of emotional attachment to anyone as she likes to pretend she does. 

"Marry again?" OMG, no! She would have to spends the whole second half of her life on her back, again. Surely, she would realize what a relief it would be not to have to do THAT, ever again. And who would have her? Esp. since most or all of those kids would still be living w/her. I think she would just appoint one of the boys to be the headship & she's sorta check out again.

I have worked Thanksgiving Day for over 10 years.  All the summer holidays, Easter, New Year's Eve and Day....all at straight time.  Only holiday I insist on getting off is Christmas Day, which I get unpaid.  Hate working the holidays (summer holidays not so much) but all that family time wasted :(  ( Oh, and for the record, I am not in the medical field or retail.)

I actually just had the creepiest of creepy uber drivers today. We were talking about my cats how he has cats etc. Then when we got to my place, he asked when he could see them.  I didn't quite understand because of his accent, then he stated he wanted to see my ... yeah. THAT word for cat. And it got very creepy VERY quickly.  He asked if he could call me sometime. I left and immediately filed a report. But that will be my last trip with Uber. So not entirely certain how extensive their background checks really are. 

If that guy got through, Josh shouldn't have any troubles at all. 

Ugh I'm sorry that happened to you, that's awful. I'm glad you got out safely. I once had a cab driver who "misheard" my last name as virgin and pestered me about my relationship status and if I'd go out with him. I filed a report with the company, which they took seriously. I don't know if he still works there, but I'm incredibly hesitant to use that company again because I'm afraid of seeing him again. 

"Marry again?" OMG, no! She would have to spends the whole second half of her life on her back, again. Surely, she would realize what a relief it would be not to have to do THAT, ever again. And who would have her? Esp. since most or all of those kids would still be living w/her. I think she would just appoint one of the boys to be the headship & she's sorta check out again.

Michelle can't produce children. That's the only reason they aren't anymore. If Michelle could get pregnant again, she would. I guarantee she prays every day that God might reopen her womb, as he did for Sarah. I don't think she sees this time of her life as a "relief," as many of us would if we were in her shoes. Her entire identity is wrapped up in popping out babies. Without more babies, there isn't anything "special" about her. She's just another woman who is going through or has gone through menopause. 

As for who would have her: she's proven to be a perfect fundie husband. I'm sure there are some aging fundies in need of a wife but not necessarily looking to start popping out babies. 

Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if Gothard himself didn't take it upon himself to marry her. Not that I would ever want him to have access to those children, but it could happen. I mean, she's followed his code to the letter of the law, she has fame, and ............... She's got enough young kids who would have friends that he could prey on.........

I refuse to go to the movies on holidays. I think that theatres should be closed on holidays. There is NO reason why you should be subjecting people to work at a theatre just so you can watch movies on a holiday. Sit in your living room and watch something you already have or can stream. 

Your logic makes no sense from a business standpoint. I've worked at a movie theater (and now at a nicer one) and Thanksgiving weekend and Christmas Day are the busiest days of the year, guaranteed. By staying closed on those days, they lose a fuckton of money. They will close early on Christmas Eve (generally 7 p.m.) and open later on Christmas Day (after 2 p.m.) if that's any consolation.

Plus, a lot of families do like going on Christmas because sometimes that's the only time they can get together. People who have holidays off like to go to movies on those days, not just the big ones.

Archived