IGNORED

Which Duggar Will Escape First?

MyMilkshake

I think Josh's best chance/choice will be to work for JB. He will not be expected to do much or put in many hours. Many employers who may normally hire him will take a step back due to the media circus and the fact he does not know that woman are equals in the work force. They can not take the chance that something inappropriate will fall out of his smarmy face.

I don't think he can go the Uber route as they require an extensive background check and I do not think he could pass it. Plus, where is he going to Uber in the small town they live in? Everyone who requests an Uber driver gets their picture and name which that alone would put off many many single female riders.

As I said in the message to which you are replying, I think that his best bet is to work for JB, so we agree.  I also mentioned construction work, gardening, hauling, etc. as work that he could be hired for regardless of his moral/social reputation.  I have never taken Uber, so I can't comment on their drivers, but I did say in another message that I don't think Josh is any creepier than some taxi drivers I have had in the past.  And I stand by that.  When I need a ride in a strange city and flag a taxi, a driver would have to look worse than Josh for me to avoid riding his taxi.  

That being said, I agree that Josh's best offer will probably come from JB.  I just don't agree with those who are declaring him "unemployable."

Josh will probably choose to work for his father because it will be "easier" than some of the jobs he might be able to get on his own.  If he does, he will be choosing dependency and submission over independence.  I just want to point out that it is not that he has no other choice.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I said in the message to which you are replying, I think that his best bet is to work for JB, so we agree.  I also mentioned construction work, gardening, hauling, etc. as work that he could be hired for regardless of his moral/social reputation.  I have never taken Uber, so I can't comment on their drivers, but I did say in another message that I don't think Josh is any creepier than some taxi drivers I have had in the past.  And I stand by that.  When I need a ride in a strange city and flag a taxi, a driver would have to look worse than Josh for me to avoid riding his taxi.  

That being said, I agree that Josh's best offer will probably come from JB.  I just don't agree with those who are declaring him "unemployable."

Josh will probably choose to work for his father because it will be "easier" than some of the jobs he might be able to get on his own.  If he does, he will be choosing dependency and submission over independence.  I just want to point out that it is not that he has no other choice.

I agree about the taxi drivers. I have gotten out of a taxi in Miami for reasons I will not disclose. I was just very fortunate that we had not really moved very far and I had a very bad feeling. It just wasn't worth the worry the entire ride in my mind in my book.

I am just not sure how "hard" of a worker Josh is willing to be. Yard services and construction are both good options but is he willing to do that? But, does he really have a choice? He literally screwed the "job of a lifetime" for people in his social group. He didn't give the impression with the used car lot that he was working very hard or very long hours.

But, I could be completely wrong. He could come back and realize that people working regular jobs out in the "real" world don't have it so bad. We don't have to answer to JB and Michelle.

I agree about the taxi drivers. I have gotten out of a taxi in Miami for reasons I will not disclose. I was just very fortunate that we had not really moved very far and I had a very bad feeling. It just wasn't worth the worry the entire ride in my mind in my book.

I am just not sure how "hard" of a worker Josh is willing to be. Yard services and construction are both good options but is he willing to do that? But, does he really have a choice? He literally screwed the "job of a lifetime" for people in his social group. He didn't give the impression with the used car lot that he was working very hard or very long hours.

But, I could be completely wrong. He could come back and realize that people working regular jobs out in the "real" world don't have it so bad. We don't have to answer to JB and Michelle.

Interestingly, one of the taxi drivers I was thinking of as "creepier than Josh" was in Miami. (A few others were not.)  I have never actually gotten out of a taxi because I was scared, but I came very close to doing so once in New Orleans.  Luckily we got to my destination before I panicked completely.

As for Josh, I have no more reason to believe that he would work hard than you do.  But he does have a choice of working hard and gaining independence and eventually self-respect and maybe the respect of others or remaining dependent on JB with all that this implies.  There are jobs he could do, and he could become independent.  But given his previous history, I think he will go back to working for Daddy.

Interestingly, one of the taxi drivers I was thinking of as "creepier than Josh" was in Miami. (A few others were not.)  I have never actually gotten out of a taxi because I was scared, but I came very close to doing so once in New Orleans.  Luckily we got to my destination before I panicked completely.

As for Josh, I have no more reason to believe that he would work hard than you do.  But he does have a choice of working hard and gaining independence and eventually self-respect and maybe the respect of others or remaining dependent on JB with all that this implies.  There are jobs he could do, and he could become independent.  But given his previous history, I think he will go back to working for Daddy.

I was very new to business traveling at the time I got out of the taxi in Miami. After several years of almost constant travel, at a later time I probably would have stayed in the taxi. It was just an odd situation and I was still new at it so I let my "what ifs" take over and got out of the taxi.

I don't think he can go the Uber route as they require an extensive background check and I do not think he could pass it. Plus, where is he going to Uber in the small town they live in? Everyone who requests an Uber driver gets their picture and name which that alone would put off many many single female riders.

Unless things have changed recently, he'd probably be able to pass. Uber is much looser with their screening process than Lyft (which is one of the reasons I prefer the latter). That said, you're right in that their area probably wouldn't be very productive. 

Uber has very extensive background checks required to be a driver, much more stringent than 'regular' taxis. It's a big reason it is so popular with women. There is no way Uber would touch Joshley. 

But Josh can't drive a taxi... what if he has to drive people who are drunk home? That would be approving of that behavior and in the duggar-world its not okay.

I tried to start my own thread by couldn't figure out how on the new forum.

I also wanted to post from my main account, ElderPrice, but couldn't remember my password. Anyway, I'm a huge luker but I've only posted about how I worked in retail for several years and how the family would come in all the time and be disruptive. Anyway, me and my fiancé were out Black Friday shopping and saw Jana. Wasn't a big deal, people were walking by her and saying her name and such. I didn't think anything of it until
I looked at who she was with. She was with a group of people 7-8, Nearly all seemed to be grown men. I didn't recognize any of them. I think she had probably 2 younger boys with her, but I wasn't looking too closely. I walked right by her and didn't think it would be newsworthy to tell you guys until I looked at the group she was with and then my fiancé refused to go back and by and look with me. Lol. Anyway, she looked adorable. It was around 8:30 on thanksgiving night, at the pinnacle mall. She was wearing a calf length skirt with flats, red sweater and a scarf. She's seriously beautiful in person, very petite too. Ive never see any of they guys before (like I said, huge luker here). Wondering if Jana has her own group of friends...

Do tell?

Also, I think Jana has friends from JTTH and such, but I look at her and feel sad that she's 2 years older than me and just has no spark left in her now.

Do tell?

Also, I think Jana has friends from JTTH and such, but I look at her and feel sad that she's 2 years older than me and just has no spark left in her now.

She has a spark with her beauty, even though she looks older than she is. But I agree. It made me happy to see her with a group of friends instead of family.

I worked at target and The family would come in (mainly Jess's, Ben and buddies) and wreck havoc, and absolutely destroy everyone's zones. I wrote a loooong post about it, let me see if I can find and link it for you. I had an account a while ago but completely lost access to it, so it may be deleted by now. They came in all the time. the store was only about 3 minutes from Jill's home by cross church 

I tried to start my own thread by couldn't figure out how on the new forum.

I also wanted to post from my main account, ElderPrice, but couldn't remember my password. Anyway, I'm a huge luker but I've only posted about how I worked in retail for several years and how the family would come in all the time and be disruptive. Anyway, me and my fiancé were out Black Friday shopping and saw Jana. Wasn't a big deal, people were walking by her and saying her name and such. I didn't think anything of it until
I looked at who she was with. She was with a group of people 7-8, Nearly all seemed to be grown men. I didn't recognize any of them. I think she had probably 2 younger boys with her, but I wasn't looking too closely. I walked right by her and didn't think it would be newsworthy to tell you guys until I looked at the group she was with and then my fiancé refused to go back and by and look with me. Lol. Anyway, she looked adorable. It was around 8:30 on thanksgiving night, at the pinnacle mall. She was wearing a calf length skirt with flats, red sweater and a scarf. She's seriously beautiful in person, very petite too. Ive never see any of they guys before (like I said, huge luker here). Wondering if Jana has her own group of friends...

You mean she was wearing something like this?... (And yay Amy for being a normal 20-something that puts her life out on social media!)

But Josh can't drive a taxi... what if he has to drive people who are drunk home? That would be approving of that behavior and in the duggar-world its not okay.

But think of the opportunity he would have for preaching!  He could share the Word of the Lord, and maybe convert some drunk to Gothardism.   :562479b38219e_WinkingmygrinD:

Jessa, but not until her "man" mans up and moves away.  It will start with less and less fundy clothes and slowly morph to stuck up Calvinists.   

Jinger is also on my radar but only because she has not had a genuine smile since Jessa glommed onto Bin.  I honestly worry about her mental health and think that's how she's going to break free.  Hopefully grandma Mary steps in at some point and gets her actual accredited medical professional help.

Uber has very extensive background checks required to be a driver, much more stringent than 'regular' taxis. It's a big reason it is so popular with women. There is no way Uber would touch Joshley. 

I actually just had the creepiest of creepy uber drivers today. We were talking about my cats how he has cats etc. Then when we got to my place, he asked when he could see them.  I didn't quite understand because of his accent, then he stated he wanted to see my ... yeah. THAT word for cat. And it got very creepy VERY quickly.  He asked if he could call me sometime. I left and immediately filed a report. But that will be my last trip with Uber. So not entirely certain how extensive their background checks really are. 

If that guy got through, Josh shouldn't have any troubles at all. 

I actually just had the creepiest of creepy uber drivers today. We were talking about my cats how he has cats etc. Then when we got to my place, he asked when he could see them.  I didn't quite understand because of his accent, then he stated he wanted to see my ... yeah. THAT word for cat. And it got very creepy VERY quickly.  He asked if he could call me sometime. I left and immediately filed a report. But that will be my last trip with Uber. So not entirely certain how extensive their background checks really are. 

If that guy got through, Josh shouldn't have any troubles at all. 

EW. I'm so glad you got out of there safely and filed a report - I hope he never drives again. I really want the Uber app to have an option where you can basically check an antisocial box indicating that you don't want to chat. I want to get in the car, make sure they know where I'm going and then be left alone until I'm at my destination. I use Uber all the time because I hate driving/parking, and I'm so tired of chatty drivers that want to make small talk when I'm very intentionally glued to my phone.

She has a spark with her beauty, even though she looks older than she is. But I agree. It made me happy to see her with a group of friends instead of family.

I worked at target and The family would come in (mainly Jess's, Ben and buddies) and wreck havoc, and absolutely destroy everyone's zones. I wrote a loooong post about it, let me see if I can find and link it for you. I had an account a while ago but completely lost access to it, so it may be deleted by now. They came in all the time. the store was only about 3 minutes from Jill's home by cross church 

Ugh, people who destroy or mess with store displays piss me off to no end.

My reasoning for betting on Josie as the one to break free if Jessa doesn't do it is that she's likely learned to be extremely manipulative. Josie knows that she's the Golden Child. She knows that she gets a lot more leeway than her siblings ever got. She's likely figured out by now that she can get her way if she plays her cards right. I'm sure that by the time she's old enough to become a brood mare, she'll have manipulated JB and Michelle into giving her a lot more freedom. And they'll probably grant it to her because they just won't care anymore. They already pretty much don't.

I don't know. I know a LOT of golden children. They're pretty good at breaking the rules and not getting as severely punished as their siblings. However, they do so by doing a great job of towing the family line and placating the parents. You can't be a total rebel AND be the golden child. You're one or the other. 

You mean she was wearing something like this?... (And yay Amy for being a normal 20-something that puts her life out on social media!)

Yes!! She had on a scarf when I was saw her, but that's from the same night and a few stores down from where I saw her. I didn't see amy or jinger though!

They still hang out with Amy and they go shopping on Thanksgiving night!!

First, I'd like to say I hate that Black Friday has creeped into Thanksgiving. I feel terrible for the retail workers who had to give up their holiday in the name of greed. I bet none of the executives who decided to open on Thanksgiving were working that day. 

Secondly, can somone please explain Jingers shoes to me? I mean I'm thrilled they aren't flip flops but I just don't get them.

First, I'd like to say I hate that Black Friday has creeped into Thanksgiving. I feel terrible for the retail workers who had to give up their holiday in the name of greed. I bet none of the executives who decided to open on Thanksgiving were working that day. 

Secondly, can somone please explain Jingers shoes to me? I mean I'm thrilled they aren't flip flops but I just don't get them.

I hate that too. I refuse to shop on Thanksgiving just on principle. I spent way to many years working retail, but luckily my store was one of the "closed on Thanksgiving and Christmas" stores so I was never put in that position.  Black Friday is usually pretty slow now since so many people go out the night before.  It's just ridiculous.  Move it back to Friday.  The masses can wait until Friday for their deals.

They are like saddle shoes. If you are younger that 70, you probably don't know about those. Jinger's are really cute Wingtip ties w/a little texture.

Cousin Amy.

My first reaction was to jokingly suggest her! :pb_lol:

I agree with other posters. I doubt any of the kids will make a massively public break - it's much more likely that there will be some drifting though. Maybe no clean breaks entirely, but I could see some of them loosening their clothing standards a bit or being ok with a Gothard approved female occupation - sort of like the Bates kids.

Most of them will likely remain extremely conservative and religious. Some of them may be a bit less rigid in their views, but I doubt many of them (if any) will ever truly leave the movement completely.

I completely agree. I also know that sometimes it isn't even the executives of a company who get to make that choice. One of the malls here opened on thanksgiving at 6 pm. From 6 pm on, every store and restaurant had to be open or they'd receive a hefty fine. Every single one. 

They are like saddle shoes. If you are younger that 70, you probably don't know about those. Jinger's are really cute Wingtip ties w/a little texture.

i think every Catholic school girl here wears those as part of their uniforms...there are different colors for different schools. my granddaughter's were solid blue, but some schools do the black and white, or other color and white. they are ugly imo, but i can see how others might think they are cute.

I completely agree. I also know that sometimes it isn't even the executives of a company who get to make that choice. One of the malls here opened on thanksgiving at 6 pm. From 6 pm on, every store and restaurant had to be open or they'd receive a hefty fine. Every single one. 

Our local mall is run by Simon. Apparently the rule was that if the anchor stores decided to open then all the other stores had to open too so customers would have a "consistent" shopping experience.  

It's not lke anthing at the mall is necessary. If medical, police and firefighters aren't there to do their jobs people die. Who is hurt if WalCrap isn't open to sell me a crappy made in China sweater or a big screen TV I didn't really need anyway?

I hate that too. I refuse to shop on Thanksgiving just on principle. I spent way to many years working retail, but luckily my store was one of the "closed on Thanksgiving and Christmas" stores so I was never put in that position.  Black Friday is usually pretty slow now since so many people go out the night before.  It's just ridiculous.  Move it back to Friday.  The masses can wait until Friday for their deals.

I agree completely that the stores should not open on Thanksgiving or Christmas (or, for that matter, after noon on Xmas an NYEve).   I can tell you that the reason for the Thursday night shopping is competition from online shopping.  The brick-and-mortar stores are at a real disadvantage and trying all sorts of gimmicks to stay competitive.  

My solution would be that brick-and-mortar stores have great online sales where customers buy stuff online that they have to pick up at the store on Black Friday. This way the retail workers don't have to be there on Thursday night.

Archived