IGNORED

Which Duggar Will Escape First?

MyMilkshake

What exactly is John David's job?  Besides being a constable ( which doesn't pay) and flying the Duggar plane (which seems like a hobby that JB pays for) what does he do for a living?  I mean, does he really make a living apart from JB and TLC?

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I´ll answer the other way around:

Totally hopeless Duggar: Jill

Even for Fundis a Fundamentalist Duggar: Jessa

Way to deep into the sh... to break free Duggar: Anna

Simply not gonna happen Duggar: Jinger

The others are equal options with one exception: JANA the one who is hopefully going to surprise us all

I dont think any will escape per say but drift away quietly. No fan fare at all. 

My vote is for Josiah.  He may walk the walk and talk the talk for now, but I sense in him a desire to see things work differently.  He is a compassionate person and sometimes, I feel that his sensitivity is frowned upon by JB.  He cares about others and, from the episode about his high school completion and the 200+ people he invited to the house for that celebration, he likes having lots of friends.  He wants to get out and about, IMHO.

Statistically one of them will break free. Who? Probably one of the younger ones, they have it easier than the rest. I have ZERO hope for the older ones! Unless it's Josh.

Statistically one of them will break free. Who? Probably one of the younger ones, they have it easier than the rest. I have ZERO hope for the older ones! Unless it's Josh.

I wouldn't write the older ones off just yet They are still all very young. Who knows what's going to happen in the next 20 or 30 years? Jill and Jessa are in their early 20s, and probably have the mental maturity of a 15 year old.

I agree that it won't happen tomorrow or next week, but, depending on how their life will turn out, I could even see Jill and Dereck getting more liberal, and slowly sliding towards mainstream Christian conservatism.

I think someone will definitely have a very different lifestyle, just because of shear numbers.  Even the Phelps family had 4 of Fred Phelps' children leave.  Although I think it's unlikely the older ones will make a big break I think a few will definitely drift.  

Josh seems somewhat less keen on the Gothard lifestyle, but I don't know how far he will drift away.  I think he probably would've been somewhat creepy regardless of his upbringing, but I think the amount of pressure on him to not have any sexual desires has caused some serious problems.  He would probably be much healthier if he could get into some mainstream therapy.  Although he'd probably be much happier if he stayed fundie because he doesn't have to worry about what he's done once God has forgiven him.

John-David and Jana seem to have drifted away a bit already.  I think Jana was probably once close to as head-strong as Jessa, but being the oldest girl and the example to the rest, had much more pressure to suppress that side of her.  It's always a possibility that her intelligence and probably inquisitive personality could come back.  Sometimes the doubts just become too much.

I doubt Jill will ever leave.  Her personality seems to work in Gothardism, so I don't think she feels any big pull to change.  However, if something dramatic happens with multiple siblings, I can see that swaying her.  She seems to be really connected with a number of them and more of a follower than a leader, so if they change en masse, she might as well.

Jessa probably won't change, but if she starts to question I'd want to watch that show.  By all accounts Jessa seems to see things very black and white and is very headstrong.  She also seems the type of person who will commit herself fully to something once she's decided it's right.  If she decides her interpretation of the bible is wrong, I have a feeling she would switch directions to what she thinks the correct interpretation is incredibly fast .  It would definitely be something to see.

Jinger seems to me to be somewhat similar to Jill in that she is more of a follower than a leader.  If her siblings, especially Jessa change, I would imagine that would accelerate a change in her views.  I wouldn't be surprised if she became a bit more fundy-lite when she leaves the TTH, similar, but maybe not as far, as Alyssa Bates.

Joseph is hard to determine because we don't seem very much of him, but I wouldn't be surprised if he follows a similar path to John-David, as they seem to be close.

Besides these ones, I think there is a good change of maybe Jedidiah or Jeremiah leaving together or separately.  Jeremiah especially seems very intelligent and more introverted than Jedidiah so he would be my pick.  

If the pressure doesn't become too much for Johannah (she could be forced into a similar position as Jana), she is another major possibility.  She seems smart and somewhat headstrong enough to think for herself and perhaps re-evaluate what she's been told.

I really hope Jenny is able to leave.  I'm sure by the time she's a teenager Jim Bob and Michelle will be over parenting, so there is a good possibility for her.  She also seems surrounded my much more extroverted sisters, so I'm sure growing up with as a teenager may just make her feel like she needs to leave for some space to breathe.  Not to mention how huge her family will be at that point.

I agree. The younger ones always knew TLC and the accompanying money. If they money dries up or dwindles, I really think they will question where this life is leading them. Jill and jessa likely have a good enough fan base to sustain them for a while  

I wouldn't write the older ones off just yet They are still all very young. Who knows what's going to happen in the next 20 or 30 years? Jill and Jessa are in their early 20s, and probably have the mental maturity of a 15 year old.

I agree that it won't happen tomorrow or next week, but, depending on how their life will turn out, I could even see Jill and Dereck getting more liberal, and slowly sliding towards mainstream Christian conservatism.

With Jill? Not a chance. She's not quite as visibly domineering as Jessa, but we've seen how she constantly talks over Derick in interviews, and speculated that her abandonment issues/control issues/complete lack of understanding of how the real world and money work led her to pressure Derick into quitting his Wal-Mart job so they could go fuck around in Guatemala. She is fully immersed in a tank of Kool-Aid like Luke Skywalker in the beginning of Empire Strikes Back, and damned if she isn't pulling Derick in to join her. And he's too greedy/horny/enamored with the idea of his wife being part of a cult that regards her as little more than his personal sex robot/actually in love with her to object at all, even if he hasn't really bought into the ideology (or he totally has because WOOHOO SEX ROBOT).

I still keep a glimmer of hope that Amy can steer Jinger away, they used to be pretty close. 

I agree, Josh has already left the fold, just not in the way we thought or hoped a Duggar would. And, who needs a tell all book when things are coming out now?

Oh, I want a tell all so badly, no matter how much tabloids might dig up. I want first-person accounts of conversations, of consequences to broken rules, of how they discussed Josh's behavior, of how the show changed the family dynamic and was was expected. I want a Duggar child to say in no uncertain terms that their parents completely checked out of childrearing handed the responsibility to the older girls. I want details on which siblings got along with whom and who could barely tolerate each other. I want to hear it all straight from a disgrunteled horse's mouths, and not just from anonymous sources or educated guesses based on what they tell us. 

I also agree that Josh has already left in a way. He may continue to pretend because he doesn't want to lose his family, but he obviously doesn't actually believe that Jesus was watching him when he was sneaking around on his wife. 

It's really hard to predict who else might actually leave, but I do believe that more defections are inevitable. In any group that large, there are going to be some people who are going to rebel, especially now that the Josh scandals have made the family's hypocrisy so blatant. It may not happen for years, but someone else will definitely leave. I wouldn't even be surprised if Jill or Jessa drifts away since they are being exposed to aspects of the world that they never knew about back when they were sheltered at home. 

I also agree that Josh has already left in a way. He may continue to pretend because he doesn't want to lose his family, but he obviously doesn't actually believe that Jesus was watching him when he was sneaking around on his wife.  

He may not have believed Jesus was watching when he was cheating on Anna, etc. But he may be reconsidering after his whole world has collapsed over the scandals.

It might just seem like divine retribution or a warning from God.

I cannot see Josh ever returning and living under the vice-grip of Jim Bob.  What adult would after being out in the real world? If Jim Bob withholds money Josh will just go it alone, leaving Anna and the kids (which he likely wants to do anyway)

My hope was for first for Jinger, then Josiah, which both I have lost hope for, especially Jinger, who seems to be deeper in it than ever. I mean look at my avatar, that was her a few years ago, and look at her now, is that even the same woman?

Then I would say Jedidiah. I don't know why I have hopes for him. He seems a bit like an underdog.

And then Jenny and Jordyn, and Justin, of course. They seem the most sensitive and introverted.

Plus: I really hope Jana gets married soon, why? because I feel she has a tight grip on all children still at home. if she goes, the children will have more freedom because let's face it: jb and michelle have checked out...

I cannot see Josh ever returning and living under the vice-grip of Jim Bob.  What adult would after being out in the real world? If Jim Bob withholds money Josh will just go it alone, leaving Anna and the kids (which he likely wants to do anyway)

The whole situation is hard to imagine. If Josh has indeed been at RU all this time, he has to have gone there voluntarily and he is staying because he judges it is better to stay, even though he can't be having much fun.  

When he gets out, his father may offer him a cushier and higher paying job than he could get on his own. His father is probably helping out with legal expenses and other things.  Until/unless Josh sees a better option, he will probably try to conform for a while.

My vote is for Josiah.  He may walk the walk and talk the talk for now, but I sense in him a desire to see things work differently.  He is a compassionate person and sometimes, I feel that his sensitivity is frowned upon by JB.  He cares about others and, from the episode about his high school completion and the 200+ people he invited to the house for that celebration, he likes having lots of friends.  He wants to get out and about, IMHO.

I agree! Josh is going to pull a Jon Gosselin and Josiah will be the one to show him real empathy. And the howler twins. 

I can't believe I feel a little bad for Josh. On the one hand, he's done just about every dick move in the book, and leaving his under-educated, unemployed wife and four small children would be just the dick move cherry on top of the dick move sundae. But on the other, leaving her might be what's best for them both. And it sounds terrible/cynical, but probably best for the children as well.

I can't believe I feel a little bad for Josh. On the one hand, he's done just about every dick move in the book, and leaving his under-educated, unemployed wife and four small children would be just the dick move cherry on top of the dick move sundae. But on the other, leaving her might be what's best for them both. And it sounds terrible/cynical, but probably best for the children as well.

Being kept in the dark about your own life and staying married to someone that doesn't want to be married to you is a sentence. 
If he stays and marks time he holds Anna back from moving on and possibly finding someone who loves her. I hope he decides to leave and Anna gets adequate financial support.  

Given the number of kids in the family, the odds are automatically pretty good that at least one of them will leave, "escape" so to speak.  I agree that Josh in a sense has left just not in the way we all expected and the revelations about Josh's behavior thus far is far better than any "tell all" book.  

Earlier in my time at FJ, I often speculated that perhaps one of the girls would leave via a fundie lite marriage but so far that has not come to pass at all.   Both Duggar sons in law appear to have been consumed by the Duggar borg.    It appears that JB continues to hold on tightly to his daughters even after marriage despite all the blather about "leave and cleave".

I don't think that the Duggar family is necessarily held in high esteem by other fundies because of their fame whoring.  Sure they are friends with the Bateseses who are doing the same thing and you have the likes of JRod who desperately fawns over these people, but seriously I don't think other lesser known fundie like them enough to want to see their kids marry into the mess.  Especially after this year.   I honestly think that some of the kid's prospects are diminished within their own circles which is why you are getting guys like Ben and Derrick who were a bit more in the mainstream and not fully in fundie circles until they decided to pursue a Duggar girl. 

I foresee more drift than anything else, unless Josh decides that the terms and conditions of his return to good standing within the family are more than he's willing to put up with. He's always been catered to and babied, and may react badly to everyone coming down on him like a ton of bricks. On the other hand, he's craven and sneaky, and may not have the spine to openly rebel, so he may do juuuuuust enough to get back in his parents' good graces, and then start back up with the shady behavior when his tether is long enough. 

If it's not Josh, it'll probably be a while. Jim Bob and Michelle have made some absolutely terrible choices as parents, but they don't seem to be aggressively awful enough to full-stop drive their children away (like what happened with Cynthia and Lydia Jeub). Children from families that are insidiously dysfunctional have a much harder time getting out than those who hail from ones that are flagrantly abusive. 

I do think that after the first one(s) bail publicly, it'll be like a dam breaking. 

Archived