IGNORED

White Americans long for the 1950s, when they didn’t face so much discrimination

doggie

only in murica.™
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2015/11/17/white-americans-long-for-the-1950s-when-they-werent-such-victims-of-reverse-discrimination/
In 
a new poll released by the Public Religion Research Institute (PRRI) on Tuesday

, a whopping 43 percent of Americans told researchers that discrimination against whites has become as large a problem as discrimination against blacks and other minority groups. And an even bigger share of Americans — 53 percent — told pollsters American culture and "way of life" have mostly changed for the worse since 1950.

imrs.php_zpsqoeuuun2.jpeg

Yeah, its so much worse now that Jim Crow laws are gone and marriage equality is here.  Our culture was so much better when white straight people were free to discriminate against, terrorize, and kill minorities. :pb_rollseyes:

. . . Can I switch races? Or, at least, can I kick these assholes out of my racial group? Please?

Also, I'm pretty sure these people don't understand what the word, "Discrimination," actually means. Just a hunch though.

Fucking bullshit. White people are so used to being prioritized that when people of other races are being told they matter, they pitch a fucking fit. See also "All Lives Matter"

That is BS-I was a white Jewish child living in the deep south (Alabama) in the late '50-early '60 and there were signs in the windows of restaurants- " NO COLORED, NO DOGS, NO JEWS. "  Discrimination was alive and well in South against White's if you were the wrong religion. I felt it in many ways not only the restaurant signs- not being invited to birthday parties of my classmates because I was a dirty Jew, yes I heard that statement many times. My father was not allowed to play golf at the local country club, my mother was not allow to join the local Women's Club I can go on and go. That is why I get hot under my collar when people like PP screams about how bad all religions are except his, that is what starts all of this.

This is ridiculous. The world will never be perfect but overall we've made an enormous amount of progress in racial issues. Let me know when the kkk shuts down or when there hasn't been a white supremacist killing for a couple of years then MAYBE we can have this discussion

Many are still reeling from the idea that a majority of the electorate voted in an African American for president.

It scares a lot of white "Christian" males in particular to think the end of their reign of power may be nigh.  Hence the hysteria over birth certificates, immigration, voter ID, and female reproductive rights.

Well this was also a time when there were no vaccines, husbands could rape their wifes without any prosecution, abortion still killed thousands of women, gay people went to prison for being gay, simple diseases killed you, millions of people had just died in WW2 and the holocaust and this is the time you want to go back to?????

But white men were TOTALLY top of the heap, with no real competition. LIfe was so much more straightforward and simple, then. No wimmins arguing (and they had to resign their job when they got married), no uppity n******, that fag*ot guy could be sacked without having to give a reason (even if he was much better at his job than you) so life was theirs! Why wouldn't they want to go back?

I can't change the color of my skin, but now I want to change my political affiliation. Horrifically embarrassing. 

Aaah the 1950's when you could get away from the wife and kiddies by going to your men-only golf club.  When you could grab your secretary's butt and tell her to be extra sweet to you or start looking for another job. When you could drink 3 martinis at lunch and then drive back to your job and sleep it off.  When you could be sure no coloreds or Jews would be buying into your neighborhood.  When you gave your wife a little housekeeping money and then kept all the rest for yourself. When you could take a belt to Junior if he sassed you or forgot to mow the lawn.  Lovely time the 50's.

There's no such thing as the "good old days," and few people seem to realize it. There has always been murkiness and filth beneath the shining surface of nostalgia.

White people want to go back to a time when Black people couldn't publicly stand up for themselves because they faced being beat up or lynched.

White people consider the empowerment of other races the oppression of white people. Just because they aren't actively worshiping us means they are oppressing us.

:doh:

The good old days are a terrible myth that keeps being perpetuated. Not to mention that if we buried stuff under the rug better back then doesn't mean things were better back then! 

I agree with all of that. Let me add that it is still a pretty friggin good deal to be a white male. Particularly a white, straight, Christian male. 

I not surprised that the tea party swings so far the wrong way.

I saw this a few days ago and rolled my eyes back in my head. In the 50s my mother was attending a one room segregated school and didn't have indoor plumbing. Who would want to go back to that?

My husband says he'll believe white men are facing discrimination  it when he gets stopped for driving while while white. 

My husband says he'll believe white men are facing discrimination  it when he gets stopped for driving while while white. 

Great husband you have there! 

I was reading comments (I know, big mistake) on the articles about what happened to Laquan McDonald, and the blatant racism was sickening. I know it shouldn't shock me, but it does. It shocks me and I take it very personally; not just as a woman of color, but as a human. 

... and USSR was alive and healthy back then!
I imagine these folks wouldn't want to be in this part of the world in the 50s.

And if they were, they'd be pining for the glory days of the early oughts or something.  

Great husband you have there! 

I was reading comments (I know, big mistake) on the articles about what happened to Laquan McDonald, and the blatant racism was sickening. I know it shouldn't shock me, but it does. It shocks me and I take it very personally; not just as a woman of color, but as a human. 

I am white but reading a lot of the comments about Mr. McDonald's murder have made me sick. I have learned first hand what some of my "friends" on FB really believe...I willingly acknowledge I have benefited from white privilege...and in at least two cases it has been a real eye opener...anyway, needless to say, I have been blocking a lot of people on social media....

Fucking bullshit. White people are so used to being prioritized that when people of other races are being told they matter, they pitch a fucking fit. See also "All Lives Matter"

I watch those videos of people being randomly shot by police and it's almost impossible to believe that they didn't do something awful just before the video started, because I've nevr even experienced anything even remotely close to that.

Note, almost, because fucking everyone is saying "yep, happens ALL the time", so even a person with only three living brain cells has to step back and realise that all the black people are saying it happens to them, the white people who've been in black friends cars are saying yep, happens to them, and all the Asian people are saying that when they get pulled over the cop asks them to fix their computer or prescribe something (srsly, there was an article about it. Will find.).  

Here, this might make good ammo for those conversations with elderly republican relatives tomorrow

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2014/01/programmer_privilege_as_an_asian_male_computer_science_major_everyone_gave.html

First off - apologies for catastrophic spelling errors. My natural disinclination to spell combined with my tablet's auto correct developing a mind of its own is just ugly... But i wanted to go on record as saying that I can't believe this craptastic attitude is so widespread. 

I have heard certain family members and white male coworkers complain bitterly about how "hard it is for them to get jobs nowadays", "how it isn't fair that women and people of colour (NOT the terms generally used) get so many of the good jobs, they used to go to the right sort of people". Gag. These people are angry that being low in melanin production and in possession of a penis no longer affords special privileges such as being allowed to deny other people opportunity, restrict the rights of others and generally behave as lords of creation. I don't think it is as blatent where I live as it is in some parts of the world, but even here, there are so many ANGRY old white men (their privilege has been revoked by society), and bitter middle aged white men (who were deprived of experiencing the privilege of their father's generation). I've called a few of them out on it and they just attack me for being a g-d feminazi.... 

It's like so many of them are so self centred that they can't see that the here and now is better and fairer for everyone. People are now getting more of an equal chance to succeed or fail according to how good they actually are. There is still a long ways to go, but I'd rather live in a world where people are free to be whatever they feel they are, and run their own lives..  A world that is being managed by competent people rather than just those who are all about their own privilege. 

I remember some sort of pbs special where a group of modern people were totally immersed in the lives of a wealthy household in the 1900s in Britain. Some were servants, and one family got to play at being to the manor born. I think it went on for six weeks, and at the end of it, all the people confessed to having a difficult, and largely unfun time. The only exception was the man cast as lord of the manor, who was seriously grieved that the show was ending. He didn't understand how his psydo privilege set him apart from the other cast members and left the manor lamenting about a lost golden age. Oblivious and tone deaf, just like the people whinging about the wonderful 50's...

Archived