IGNORED

What's Everyone Sewing For Christmas

grandmadugger

My current plans are bowl cozies and casserole carries for my inlaws and the gift exchange at work.  I'm also going to make two small quilts, maybe quillows, for the "new" grandkids.  Oh and I'll make at least a lap size quilt for my girlfriend whose name I drew.

Sounds fun! I'm mostly sewing for myself lately, but I am making a blouse for my mom for christmas! Probablu using a vintage pattern that I bought recently and can't find :my_dodgy:

Oooh your presents sound great!

I'm cross stitching cards for close friends and family - just simple designs that only take a few hours to do. I really need to get going with that again or they won't be ready until next Christmas!

I'm also planning on making a cushion for my grandad. He's very difficult to get presents for - he doesn't want or need anything and his Dementia makes it more difficult. He really likes boats though, so I want to make a cushion from a canal boat print apron. I would like to do an applique narrow boat on the cushion too. Hand embroidery is definitely my favourite type of sewing, plus I can watch telly at the same time ;)

Microwave heating pads for my Mother. She has a bad back and uses her pillows multiple times a day. I use deer corn or field corn as the filler, and make a removable cover for them that is easily washable.

Don't know if this really counts as sewing (it's more embroidery) but I'm been making lots of felt/sequin ornaments which i haven't done for decades.  I was inspired because my first grandchild was born this year (a girl, in March - a week before Izzy "Choo Choo" Dillard).    I am sort of involuntarily retired so I again have the time.  I last did stuff like this when I was pregnant with my first which was many Xmases ago.  

They're from old (but new, never opened) Bucilla kits I find on ebay.  I like the ones from the 1970's.  This one is newer (maybe 90's?) and a little scary because of the size especially of the mother cat.      " Three Little Kittens who Lost Their Mittens" ...  and the Mother Cat.  

IMG_3530.JPG

Don't know if this really counts as sewing (it's more embroidery) but I'm been making lots of felt/sequin ornaments which i haven't done for decades.  I was inspired because my first grandchild was born this year (a girl, in March - a week before Izzy "Choo Choo" Dillard).    I am sort of involuntarily retired so I again have the time.  I last did stuff like this when I was pregnant with my first which was many Xmases ago.  

They're from old (but new, never opened) Bucilla kits I find on ebay.  I like the ones from the 1970's.  This one is newer (maybe 90's?) and a little scary because of the size especially of the mother cat.      " Three Little Kittens who Lost Their Mittens" ...  and the Mother Cat.  

IMG_3530.JPG

Holy cow  We have those!!!!  (sew the little mittens onto the kittens' hands or the mittens will drift away;)

@quincygal - OMG back at you!  Did you make them?    And yes, it says specifically in the directions NOT to sew the mittens on the hands, but I definitely did.  I always "over-sew" these things, to the point where my work looks sloppy.  But yes, I sewed them on.  

I'm sewing a simple rosary case for my sister (her main Christmas gift is a handmade rosary I bought from etsy). I also want to sew some sort of Christmas craft but can't think of what (I have enough ornaments and don't have a very large house). Any suggestions appreciated! 

I saw crocheted "cat butt" drink coasters for sale on etsy. My crocheting is terrible. I'm using the same idea but with sewn felt,( like notfundy's above).  I am tailoring the design of the coasters to the cat butts of my friends' actual cats. 

d474b9327bc119b2d81e8ff6811ad4a4.jpg

I'm sewing a simple rosary case for my sister (her main Christmas gift is a handmade rosary I bought from etsy). I also want to sew some sort of Christmas craft but can't think of what (I have enough ornaments and don't have a very large house). Any suggestions appreciated! 

I found this on pinterest.  Looks pretty straight forward.  https://www.pinterest.com/pin/45036065001172018/

those kittens are insanely cute!  I am sewing tons.  I host an artisan open house sale with 8 other artisans at my place in 2 weeks time.

I've been lurking on FJ for nearly a year and have only just stumbled on this area. (Technology really isn't my strong point!)

Dipping my toe and posting for the first time to say cushions! I'm new to sowing and last week I made my first ever cushion. I now have three, all Christmasy and ready to go! House looks like tip, sowing is way to addictive to bother with house work! 

It's my first proper Christmas with my only grandchild. born on Christmas Day last year, so that doesn't really count! ) and I'm feeling twice as Christmasy as usual. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, seeing as how this was started over 4 years ago, I hope to have it done by Christmas this year.  Lol.

It started as a lap quilt for my sister who at the time was taking chemo.  She always complained about being cold during treatment.  

I put it on hold when she found out she was in remission.  Then it hung on my wall til this fall.  I showed it to her one day and she wanted it and bigger than a lap quilt.  So, now I have the top done.  It's been a huge pain in my ass but she loves it.  Lol.  We're getting together next week to quilt it.  Then, for meanness, I'm keeping it til Christmas day.  Lol.

IMAG1050_1.jpg

I just finished a Tardis quilt for a friend's Christmas gift! I'm so excited, but she has no idea so I'm trying to keep it super quiet. So here it is!! :) 

20151206_091356.jpg

Not quite sewing, but I'm going to attempt to organize my bedroom/sewing-room to make it easier for me to actually sew in over the holidays. One day I'll have a room specifically devoted to sewing and crafts...

On 12/7/2015 at 7:52 PM, FrumperSeamstress said:

Not quite sewing, but I'm going to attempt to organize my bedroom/sewing-room to make it easier for me to actually sew in over the holidays. One day I'll have a room specifically devoted to sewing and crafts...

We've turned half of our living room into a sewing area.  I'm hoping over my holiday break to get part of it moved to the basement.

I don't sew, but I admire the skill so much.  I think it's great that the stuff you make will last and become part of the holiday for your family for years.

this was made for me when I was away at school many years go and I still think of the relative who made it for me every year when we get the Christmas stuff out.

image.jpeg

Will soon be starting this blouse for my mom! I bought this great wine and tan dotted print for it. I think I'll be making the lower neckline, but with the longer sleeves. And after my breast reduction, I plan on making myself a bunch in some cute fabrics I've been hoarding saving.

1278.jpg

On November 23, 2015 at 0:10 PM, Exposedknees said:

I am tailoring the design of the coasters to the cat butts of my friends' actual cats. 

This is my most favorite sentence ever. 

On 12/13/2015 at 1:45 PM, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I don't sew, but I admire the skill so much.  I think it's great that the stuff you make will last and become part of the holiday for your family for years.

this was made for me when I was away at school many years go and I still think of the relative who made it for me every year when we get the Christmas stuff out.

image.jpeg

That's such a cute little tree! I love the different prints!

Archived