IGNORED

Erika Shupe *grim rictus* Large Families on Purpose Part 3

happy atheist

I am the grown up child of a controlling and overbearing mother. I always wanted my independence for as long as I can remember (something which my mother stills seems to resent me for). I fought for it often whilst growing up, sometimes I won, most times I didn't. I can tell you that my mother and I now have a rather frosty relationship at best. She is never going to change and doesn't seem to want to accept that I am a 30 year old grown ass woman, who moved out and has been financially supporting herself for almost 12 years.

Anyhow, I'd like to say congrats to all those parents here who are teaching their kids life skills, so that they can go out into the world and be functioning and independent adults. It was pretty hard when I left home at 19, but I gradually taught myself all the skills I had always wanted to learn but never had the opportunity to.

Also, as a side note, from about the age of 14 I was the sneakiest and most rebellious teen among my peer group. I think that is pretty normal for someone with a strong independent streak, who wasn't allowed much independence. Believe me, you do not want to be the parent of a teen that was doing the things that I was doing at that age, and my mother never had, and still doesn't have a clue about what I got up to (at least, she's never said a thing about it if she did!) However, somewhere along the way I grew out of that phase and managed to mature, thank God!

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 3:49 PM, princessmahina said:

Between the Duggars and Erika, I've pretty much crossed "desire" out of my vocabulary, at least temporarily. 

That & "righteously", "fulfilled" & "countenance"

13 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

The oldest five have seen Star Wars!!! Apparently the rest of them are at home ill with stomach flu. Wow, they seem to get that a LOT. I know they're a big family, which of course affects things. That means some of them will have been in the bathroom on towels, some having buckets in bed... I would hate to be in Stalag Shupe at any time, let alone during stomach flu season. Gack.

I saw that! Still, I couldn't help but roll my eyes at what she said in the comments of that post:

Of course we do have the discussion with the children, as with all Star Wars movies, that there is no self-power Force that we should look to for our strength and direction but to the Lord God our Heavenly Father.

Good grief. I grew up in a fairly religious household and my parents showed me all kinds of movies, including Star Wars, Indiana Jones, etc. Not once did my mom have to sit me down and convince me that the Force isn't real. Does she really think her children are that gullible/easy persuaded? 

4 hours ago, unforgiving said:

>>snip<<

Also, as a side note, from about the age of 14 I was the sneakiest and most rebellious teen among my peer group. I think that is pretty normal for someone with a strong independent streak, who wasn't allowed much independence. Believe me, you do not want to be the parent of a teen that was doing the things that I was doing at that age, and my mother never had, and still doesn't have a clue about what I got up to (at least, she's never said a thing about it if she did!) However, somewhere along the way I grew out of that phase and managed to mature, thank God!

I've often wondered how secretly rebellious Karen and Melanie are. Do they have a secret place where they hide stuff they're not supposed to have? Share survival/sneaky tips with friends at church? What do they talk about with each other when they're out of Erika's earshot?

So according to Erika, we shouldn't look within ourselves for strength? That's pretty shitty advice to her kids. :my_confused:

• keen23 locked this topic

Archived