IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozen - General Discussion Part 15

happy atheist

19 minutes ago, CorruptionInc. said:

Nice Apple computers they have there - hurting for money my foot!

They have always had an enormous amount of computers and electronics along with cameras etc. They were crying "poor us" and Josh had the latest in cameras and filming equipment. I don't think they "buy used" in the electronics department.

Also, the little girl next to Josie is sitting indian style I bet Mechelle would have a stroke if she paid more attention to what her children were doing. I am sure sitting like that is unacceptable even with leggings on.

JB is going to need extra hair spray when Josie gets older. She is going to give him a run for his money. Go Josie Go!

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, missegeno said:

ldr: I don't think the kids' play topics are restricted explicitly (at least not until puberty), but they probably don't realize what they COULD play due to lack of experience/knowledge with loftier options.

Good point.

36 minutes ago, CorruptionInc. said:

Nice Apple computers they have there - hurting for money my foot!

I was thinking the same thing...Apples are toward the expensive range last time I was looking at prices for laptops.... 

4 hours ago, missegeno said:

I hope that they get to pretend a variety of jobs. But I would guess that they don't have a broad base from which they can choose a topic. This is less true for the kids who have always had TLC around, but the older kids had a lot fewer nonbiblical, nonfamily models to inspire play. I imagine that it wouldn't occur to them to play astronaut because thats not the kind of field trip they went on for the SODRT. Whereas a mommy, a nurse, and a veterinarian (all things we've heard of the girls playing as) are all things that they would have some experience with. I have gotten the impression that the kids (especially the youngest ones) are allowed to dream about until puberty nears and Michelle has that creepy talk about womanhood with them. I think I remember hearing that the younger ones play like the TLC crew. In one of the older shows they had little bios about each kid, including what they wanted to be when they grew up. I remember being irritated by Josh's smug "politician" answer, even back before I knew what he had recently been doing.

If you consider play as a way to develop an understanding of the world, it makes sense that they wouldn't pretend to be figures that aren't a part of their lives. I would guess that Amish kids don't play TV repairman (I know kids who have) unless TV repairmen are for some reason discussed in their house.

Tldr: I don't think the kids' play topics are restricted explicitly (at least not until puberty), but they probably don't realize what they COULD play due to lack of experience/knowledge with loftier options.

In the book "Defenders of the Faith" by Samuel Heilman, which is about ultra Orthodox Jews, he mentions going to a Purim party in Israel and seeing the children dressed as things that were completely foreign to the ultra Orthodox culture, such as Ninja Turtles, astronauts, college graduates in caps and gowns, etc. I know Purim parties are a bit different, because they're designed to be topsy turvy days where values are inverted, but Heilman wondered how the children interpreted their costumes, given the very narrow roles they were being socialized to play in ultra Orthodox society. While the one-TLC Duggars did seem very isolated, the younger kids have a bit more exposure to the outside world. The family went to a NASA museum once; I wonder how the female astronauts were explained away.

15 hours ago, biblelandjunkie said:

I was thinking the same thing...Apples are toward the expensive range last time I was looking at prices for laptops.... 

I really wanted a Mac laptop but I just couldn't justify spending that much money! If I had "money to spare" I would have gotten one. I have an iPhone-that is my only apple product. 

On 1/3/2016 at 7:37 AM, InThePrayerCloset said:

My good friends husband is an Australian SAS (special force) soldier... kinda like SEAL Team 6... one of the most uber masculine men you would ever meet... They have 3 kids, 2 girls and a boy. Hubby was delighted when he had a boy as he was desperate to play soccer and join boy scouts and do all sorts of "manly" stuff together... Long story short, son is now 13 and boarding at the Australian Ballet School, hubby is an expert in the finer points of Swan Lake and does weight training with the boy so he has the strength for pas de deux, plus lots of jump/squat training. You don't choose your children... His girls play soccer and are sea scouts, and he's loving being the "outdoor dad" with his girls. but he is OH SO PROUD of his "ballet boy"

I once told someone about how when I was growing up, my favorite Sunday activity was to go with my dad to Home Depot, do some woodworking or home-brewing with him, and then we'd play Quake II or watch Star Wars together. They said to me, "so I guess your dad wanted a boy".

Pretty sure my dad just enjoyed sharing his interests with me and wanted me to be a well-rounded individual, since he also had no problem playing Barbies or Disney Princess with me. Let your kids be individuals and expose them to a variety of things so they can forge their own paths and personalities.

16 minutes ago, nastyhobbitses said:

I once told someone about how when I was growing up, my favorite Sunday activity was to go with my dad to Home Depot, do some woodworking or home-brewing with him, and then we'd play Quake II or watch Star Wars together. They said to me, "so I guess your dad wanted a boy".

Pretty sure my dad just enjoyed sharing his interests with me and wanted me to be a well-rounded individual, since he also had no problem playing Barbies or Disney Princess with me. Let your kids be individuals and expose them to a variety of things so they can forge their own paths and personalities.

That is sort of like my dad! He died the day before my 15th birthday but I have the best memories of him doing all sorts of things with me from building forts with real lumber to playing baseball (his interests which became mine) to reading my sweet valley twins and sweet valley high books so we could talk about the plot lines! I'm pretty sure he only read the books for me and I love that he did!! 

My mom's saddest day and my dad's happiest day was the same.  For my birthday one year I got to go on a shopping spree at my favorite store.  My mom was hoping for clothing or possibly craft/art supplies.  I asked if I could split my money between the lumber store and the auto parts store.  I got my own battery operated drill and a rachet set. 

Star pulse have an article suggesting Jinger and Jana may get a show. I don't know how to attach link.  I have had some fun testing in SOTDRT however:my_shy:

I hope something like this-- a show centered around "finding love while living in a strict and religious home"-- doesn't force a courtship on either of them in order to maintain a show or ratings.

I would rather it be about their regular lives. I'd also feel better if the money from the show was going to a trust or a scholarship or a bank account only they can access. But I know I'm basically dreaming.

1 hour ago, Mothership said:

Thank you, not the same article I saw but the gist is the same.

I don't know if I would watch this as I also think there may be pressure on the girls. Maybe this was being discussed prior to Joshgate and that was what Josh was referring to in 'digging in with the Duggars 'when he made that comment about courtships and threw to Jana and Jinger.  The girls looked shocked so possible they did not know about it or were reluctant too participate.

Pure speculation 

48 minutes ago, Percy said:

Thank you, not the same article I saw but the gist is the same.

I don't know if I would watch this as I also think there may be pressure on the girls. Maybe this was being discussed prior to Joshgate and that was what Josh was referring to in 'digging in with the Duggars 'when he made that comment about courtships and threw to Jana and Jinger.  The girls looked shocked so possible they did not know about it or were reluctant too participate.

Pure speculation 

I remember when that happened. I thought that was odd and made me kind of uncomfortable actually. Knowing what kind of sleazeball he is now, this whole scene gives me the shudders all the more. 

1 hour ago, Mothership said:

Thanks for posting this.  It sounds straight out of some TLC public relations/promotion office.  

Listen to this:

TLC has not yet extended an offer to Jana Duggar or Jinger Duggar, but the planning behind the scenes is definitely happening. Duggar fans are emailing the network to try and get them to pick up more specials or a new show entirely. Jill & Jessa: Counting On garnered decent ratings, especially since the family has been off the air for several months. Some of the fans are extremists, but many of them just want to continue to follow the family as they all begin their new lives. Many fans put forth a lot of time to watch the Duggar family grow up, and yanking them off the air because of Josh Duggar was not something that sat well with the majority.

They make it sound as if watching a show is an "investment" and it isn't  "fair" to deprive the fans of access to the ongoing lives of the Duggars.

It is interesting also that they mention the fans are e-mailing but not that the Duggars are requesting the e-mails.

It seems also that the show will focus on Fundie courtships. I hope both Jana and Jinger are okay with whomever JB wants them to court with because I think they won't have a choice about being courted, if it means getting a show back.   And if the courtship idea won't work, Jana as virgin mother might.  

Jana Duggar would make a good fit for the new concept TLC is developing for a show. Together with Jinger Duggar, the sisters could truly change how young women view dating in a religious setting. Jana Duggar is a strong woman, and with her guidance, her siblings will be able to walk through life with support and love.

On 1/5/2016 at 6:56 AM, Jenirishdancer said:

That is sort of like my dad! He died the day before my 15th birthday but I have the best memories of him doing all sorts of things with me from building forts with real lumber to playing baseball (his interests which became mine) to reading my sweet valley twins and sweet valley high books so we could talk about the plot lines! I'm pretty sure he only read the books for me and I love that he did!! 

Oh my, what a very sweet father you had! I can't imagine any man wanting to read those books. He loved you so much!

Ok, that story about Jana and Jinger is terrible, keep this family off the air. Howeverrrrrr....it made me laugh because the thought of a show centered on Jana and Jinger and not Bin and Jessa is hilarious. It would really burn Blessa's britches, wouldn't it?

Does anyone know if any of the Duggars knew Craig Strickland, the country singer that died in NE Oklahoma?  He's from Springdale, AR and the family attends Cross Church.  Backroad Anthem is the band's name.  I tried the search function but couldn't find if this had been discussed.

17 minutes ago, Furbabies said:

Does anyone know if any of the Duggars knew Craig Strickland, the country singer that died in NE Oklahoma?  He's from Springdale, AR and the family attends Cross Church.  Backroad Anthem is the band's name.  I tried the search function but couldn't find if this had been discussed.

If there is a connection it would be Derick.  The rest of the Duggars weren't regular attenders of Cross Church before Derick.

I wonder if this is a hint that there is a courtship that's been kept under wraps?

On 1/4/2016 at 5:49 PM, Valerie3kids said:

They have always had an enormous amount of computers and electronics along with cameras etc. They were crying "poor us" and Josh had the latest in cameras and filming equipment. I don't think they "buy used" in the electronics department.

Also, the little girl next to Josie is sitting indian style I bet Mechelle would have a stroke if she paid more attention to what her children were doing. I am sure sitting like that is unacceptable even with leggings on.

JB is going to need extra hair spray when Josie gets older. She is going to give him a run for his money. Go Josie Go!

Has it ever been explained why the Duggars need all those computers when they are only allowed to go on fifty or so pre-approved websites, don't do heavy video editing, or don't play video games that require sophisticated graphics? I know the Switched on Schoolhouse is computer-based, but there's no reason why they must have top of the line apples and not cheaper PCs. It just seems like an extravagent expense, given how limited their media intake must be. In the wake of Joshley Madison, there are probably even more "safeguards" up to prevent the howlers from accessing unauthorized Internet material.

18 hours ago, EmCatlyn said:

Thanks for posting this.  It sounds straight out of some TLC public relations/promotion office.  

Listen to this:

They make it sound as if watching a show is an "investment" and it isn't  "fair" to deprive the fans of access to the ongoing lives of the Duggars.

Ugh. I really want to say to these things the same thing my grandpa said to me when I was a little kid and left me flabbergasted: "Who ever told you that life is fair?"

1 hour ago, Cleopatra7 said:

Has it ever been explained why the Duggars need all those computers when they are only allowed to go on fifty or so pre-approved websites, don't do heavy video editing, or don't play video games that require sophisticated graphics? I know the Switched on Schoolhouse is computer-based, but there's no reason why they must have top of the line apples and not cheaper PCs. It just seems like an extravagent expense, given how limited their media intake must be. In the wake of Joshley Madison, there are probably even more "safeguards" up to prevent the howlers from accessing unauthorized Internet material.

Could be they got the Apples at a discount in exchange for "product placement," don't you think?

• Coconut Flan unpinned and locked this topic

Archived