IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozen - General Discussion Part 15

happy atheist

Oh God! The thought of JB filling his quiver as an old man is sickening.

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No matter what we think of them, I could never see JIm Bob leaving Michelle, either. From what I gather, he's the unpopular guy who caught the pretty cheerleader. He seems insecure which si the reason for always reminding Michelle of her 'baggage' and likely thinks he 'saved' her from an ungodly life.

4 hours ago, slp said:

Both sets of kids (boys and girls) play with kitchen sets, dolls, trucks, race car tracks, etc.  We don't really 'do' gendered anything.  Toys are toys and anyone who wants to play with them can when they like.  I have  an 8 yr old son who loves to get his sisters' American Girl dolls and comb and fix their hair.  I have a 2 and a half yr old who loves her kitchen set and Elsa doll (Frozen) but also loves to play with the Thomas Train set and the Hot Wheels racetrack. 

My good friends husband is an Australian SAS (special force) soldier... kinda like SEAL Team 6... one of the most uber masculine men you would ever meet... They have 3 kids, 2 girls and a boy. Hubby was delighted when he had a boy as he was desperate to play soccer and join boy scouts and do all sorts of "manly" stuff together... Long story short, son is now 13 and boarding at the Australian Ballet School, hubby is an expert in the finer points of Swan Lake and does weight training with the boy so he has the strength for pas de deux, plus lots of jump/squat training. You don't choose your children... His girls play soccer and are sea scouts, and he's loving being the "outdoor dad" with his girls. but he is OH SO PROUD of his "ballet boy"

Marriage retreats are not for troubled marriages. It is to help you get back in touch w/your mate on a personal level

when you can get caught up in the everyday business of life. It's a communication tool. Catholic churches have them all the time.

13 hours ago, twinmama said:

This proves to me that women's clothes can get SO much worse than men's. Or that these women went easy on their dates. The guy to the right isn't my favorite outfit, but I can see someone wearing that. The left guy looks silly but not horrific. The women on the other hand... oh man!

Given that they only had $10 apiece for an outfit, the results aren't bad.

9 hours ago, InThePrayerCloset said:

My good friends husband is an Australian SAS (special force) soldier... kinda like SEAL Team 6... one of the most uber masculine men you would ever meet... They have 3 kids, 2 girls and a boy. Hubby was delighted when he had a boy as he was desperate to play soccer and join boy scouts and do all sorts of "manly" stuff together... Long story short, son is now 13 and boarding at the Australian Ballet School, hubby is an expert in the finer points of Swan Lake and does weight training with the boy so he has the strength for pas de deux, plus lots of jump/squat training. You don't choose your children... His girls play soccer and are sea scouts, and he's loving being the "outdoor dad" with his girls. but he is OH SO PROUD of his "ballet boy"

After hanging out with and playing princess dress up with a girl friend of his, my 4 year old's Elsa love grew by like 200%, so for their 4th birthday we got our boys Anna and Elsa dresses. I swear the little guy got home from school each day and put on his Elsa dress and wore it until bedtime! The other one didn't really care about the Anna one. Best thing ever about their school is that their philosophy is that anyone can be anything there, so he puts on a cape (superhero or otherwise) and plays Elsa at school too. It lasted about a month, and now he is non stop Darth Vader. Sad that the Duggar kids and grandkids won't get this kind of freedom for play!

You know, if JB begins to hurt for $$$, all he's have to do is send all his of-age children out to get pissy jobs like McD's or Walmart & btw. the what; 8 of them? They could probably bring in enough to equal one salary to feed & shelter the rest. Since none of them have any real form of employment, there is a significant work force, there. Or, JB could kick the free-loaders out of the house to fend for themselves & rent half that barn they live in for income.

See JB? You're not out of options!

2 minutes ago, ksgranola1 said:

You know, if JB begins to hurt for $$$, all he's have to do is send all his of-age children out to get pissy jobs like McD's or Walmart & btw. the what; 8 of them? They could probably bring in enough to equal one salary to feed & shelter the rest. Since none of them have any real form of employment, there is a significant work force, there. Or, JB could kick the free-loaders out of the house to fend for themselves & rent half that barn they live in for income.

The kids will be the only losers in the equation.

JB and M used them for income, in essence putting them to work instead of only himself and his wife.

He limited their choices and their educations.

He likely has all the money earned sheltered under his own name

He controls all AND

When push comes to shove, he'll have the ability to toss them out.

Eff him.

I just came back from a trip to Arkansas to visit the in-laws (near Little Rock, not near the Duggars..)

Word is that if you get one of them fancy cell phone towers on your land, the monthly payments you get START at $500/month and go up from there depending on how tall the tower is, and what other things they can put on it (other antennas).  And DimBob has many industrial rental properties and other rental properties.  SO they are not scrounging for money by ANY MEANS, even if TLC kicks them to the curb.

I had a bold patch on the back of my head. It was due to me arching my back and scooting across the floor. It was my early attempt to crawl. 

11 hours ago, RosyDaisy said:

Oh God! The thought of JB filling his quiver as an old man is sickening.

Or emptying said quiver, if you get my drift.

Now excuse me while I do the following...

:brainbleach:

5 hours ago, JHeathen said:

I just came back from a trip to Arkansas to visit the in-laws (near Little Rock, not near the Duggars..)

Word is that if you get one of them fancy cell phone towers on your land, the monthly payments you get START at $500/month and go up from there depending on how tall the tower is, and what other things they can put on it (other antennas).  And DimBob has many industrial rental properties and other rental properties.  SO they are not scrounging for money by ANY MEANS, even if TLC kicks them to the curb.

I don't doubt that there is decent money from the towers, but $500/month is nothing for a family the size of the Duggars, and he has at least 2 if not 3 extended families he is supporting as well.  I don't know how many towers he rents land to, but 1-2 towers wouldn't help him much.  I would think that the best income that JimBob has is from that credit card processing company he runs.  That seems to me like easy  money.  I think that JimBob probably has his hands in lots of little money schemes, all of which probably contribute a fair amount and when combined to together, it is a good living.    The money from shows is probably missed, only because it was a fairly good sized single income stream.   But even if the show had continued,  I think at some point in time it wouldn't have been enough money given how his family's destiny is shaping up.  JB and M have effectively created 18-19 kids who have little to no job skill or education.  And they have convinced said children that they don't really need to get jobs and that they should have boatloads of kids. 

JB has also given the impression to the kids that he will provide them all with a house upon marriage.  Remember Josiah saying that last year in a TH?  To support 19 adult children and their huge broods would take an unbelievable amount of money, especially now that the kids have all had a taste of the good life.  These are kids who expect to drive SUV's, travel, have apple computers and iPhones, have a pretty kitchen and an industrial kitchen, move into fully furnished mansions, or even fully remodeled little ranch homes, etc. 

I think, if JB has any sense of self awareness, or insight, that he must lie awake at night wondering just how he can continue to finance all of this into perpetuity.  Prior to Josh's disgrace, he was probably making enough to support his medium sized family, but now it looks like he will need to be fully back on Daddy's payroll. 

Just think!  In 18 years Israel and Spurgeon will be old enough to start courting and making their own babies.  Wonder how much money will be in the family coffers by then? 

12 hours ago, JHeathen said:

I am glad you mentioned this.  The Duggars have earned, traded and gritted enough that I don't think they will hurt for money for quite a while.  There may be fewer trips abroad (except on missions that others pay for) and the spouses of the younger daughters may need to find employment outside the Duggar business, but between real estate and what not, JB can probably continue to support his extended family for a while.  

@calimojo is right that the kids are too used to the good life and they are undereducated and not used to work, but I think that is the sort of thing that people gradually adjust to and deal with when the money is less. The younger kids will have lower expectations and maybe even better educations since they won't be on tv so much.  And I don't think Josh will necessarily be unable to support his family once he gets out.  He can have towing business, a gardening business, whatever.  (Now the Danica lawsuit and things like that may be a problem.)

Am I the only one who saw this pic on the Duggar Family Official FB page and thought "On Wednesdays, we wear pink?"

Also, I noticed they were playing Settlers of Catan. I guess I have one thing in common with them because that is a fun game!

Spoiler

Wednesdays.thumb.jpg.b6ab5aa5172453e42ca

23 hours ago, ksgranola1 said:

If boob gets low on funds, they'll just write another book.  Its a new "season of life," after all! All those fundie mothers out there need to know how to handle marrying off your children and how to interact with grandbabies!

On 1/3/2016 at 6:14 PM, roddma said:

I guess girls that havent reached double digits pretending to be pregnant/ breast feeding just rubs my feminist side the wrong way. Though kids should be aware of things, Constant play with gendered toys (kitchen sets, dolls, etc) just reinforces the expectations of women to be mothers and wives. I carried baby dolls to church but i never thought about pregnancy, and I saw pregnant women, it just wasnt on my radar and it shouldnt have been anyway. I also had doctors kits and pretend to be doctor on stuffed animals , microscopes, games, books, etc. I still only had a couple or three dolls. I just never was a doll person. Now I do make crochet outfits for my 'evil' Barbies for display.

We have some gendered toys, but only because she wanted them, we also have tons of boy toys too, since we have one of each... and my kids are in full time daycare, so exposed to both types all the time. Yet, my daughter and a friend like to play pregnant/have the baby, whatever..... they both have younger siblings and neither family wants more than 2 and we aren't religious and never push the mom is the only way angle (I'm an engineer). So...I think it's normal playing.

2 minutes ago, karen77 said:

We have some gendered toys, but only because she wanted them, we also have tons of boy toys too, since we have one of each... and my kids are in full time daycare, so exposed to both types all the time. Yet, my daughter and a friend like to play pregnant/have the baby, whatever..... they both have younger siblings and neither family wants more than 2 and we aren't religious and never push the mom is the only way angle (I'm an engineer). So...I think it's normal playing.

I agree its normal playing, particularly when its what they see.  Its sad if that is all they play.  

18 minutes ago, justoneoftwo said:

I agree its normal playing, particularly when its what they see.  Its sad if that is all they play.  

That's my issue with it. I think the little girls are probably only allowed to play at being pregnant or being "mommies," as opposed to pretending to be a "mommy" on Monday, an astronaut on Tuesday, a doctor on Wednesday, etc. I would actually be surprised if much imaginative play of any sort goes on in Gothardite homes, since imagination in general is not valued in this subculture. As I recall, in the early episodes the Duggars didn't have many toys of any sort, perhaps because of the expense and also because of Gothard's bizarre beliefs about toys having demonic powers.

10 minutes ago, Cleopatra7 said:

That's my issue with it. I think the little girls are probably only allowed to play at being pregnant or being "mommies," as opposed to pretending to be a "mommy" on Monday, an astronaut on Tuesday, a doctor on Wednesday, etc. I would actually be surprised if much imaginative play of any sort goes on in Gothardite homes, since imagination in general is not valued in this subculture. As I recall, in the early episodes the Duggars didn't have many toys of any sort, perhaps because of the expense and also because of Gothard's bizarre beliefs about toys having demonic powers.

Yes, this would be the concern.  I found it interesting that they said Jill used to play at nurse. 

7 hours ago, missegeno said:

Am I the only one who saw this pic on the Duggar Family Official FB page and thought "On Wednesdays, we wear pink?"

Also, I noticed they were playing Settlers of Catan. I guess I have one thing in common with them because that is a fun game!

Hide contents

So good to see that Josie is still hammin it up over there. You go, kiddo! Don't let them extinguish your spark! (Josie may have a good chance of being allowed to keep her spark since she is the youngest and Meechelle might forever baby her and let her get away with certain things. Let me day dream here, folks)

18 minutes ago, justoneoftwo said: I agree its normal playing, particularly when its what they see.  Its sad if that is all they play.  

I hope that they get to pretend a variety of jobs. But I would guess that they don't have a broad base from which they can choose a topic. This is less true for the kids who have always had TLC around, but the older kids had a lot fewer nonbiblical, nonfamily models to inspire play. I imagine that it wouldn't occur to them to play astronaut because thats not the kind of field trip they went on for the SODRT. Whereas a mommy, a nurse, and a veterinarian (all things we've heard of the girls playing as) are all things that they would have some experience with. I have gotten the impression that the kids (especially the youngest ones) are allowed to dream about until puberty nears and Michelle has that creepy talk about womanhood with them. I think I remember hearing that the younger ones play like the TLC crew. In one of the older shows they had little bios about each kid, including what they wanted to be when they grew up. I remember being irritated by Josh's smug "politician" answer, even back before I knew what he had recently been doing.

If you consider play as a way to develop an understanding of the world, it makes sense that they wouldn't pretend to be figures that aren't a part of their lives. I would guess that Amish kids don't play TV repairman (I know kids who have) unless TV repairmen are for some reason discussed in their house.

Tldr: I don't think the kids' play topics are restricted explicitly (at least not until puberty), but they probably don't realize what they COULD play due to lack of experience/knowledge with loftier options.

10 hours ago, missegeno said:

Reveal hidden contents

Nice Apple computers they have there - hurting for money my foot!

• Coconut Flan unpinned and locked this topic

Archived