IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozen - General Discussion Part 15

happy atheist

19 hours ago, InThePrayerCloset said:

i LOVE History Cold Case... so enlightening and so sad. the 3 babies in the well, incredible! at the poor little preserved child :SURLEQ:

Yes!  And did you see the York 13?  Absolutely amazing!  

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2015 at 5:27 PM, MakeItSo said:

I have to admit I did not pick up the magazine to actually read it. I'm sorry :(

I saw one of these headlines today, and it was about Anna divorcing Josh, even though it was Jim Bob and Michelle on the cover

3 hours ago, EmCatlyn said:

Seriously-- I suspect JB is self-deluded enough that, if he gave thought to the subject, he would think he would attract women other than Michelle.  

Agreed - but I don't think he's deluded.  I bet there are plenty of women living out their lives in Gothardom living hand to mouth in cramped rvs, trailers, garden sheds...spending their lives as SAHD who would be thrilled to slave away in the TTH where they'd have more space, food, and money.  

If I'm going to be a second class helpmeet I'd rather do it in better environs where I have my own bathroom.

And there is no accounting for weirdness...serial killers and other notorious murderers get married to their groupies in jail.  I'm sure there is some strange subset of the population (whom I hope never to meet) who'd be just thrilled to step in and become Michelle 2.0.

I doubt it's ever crossed his mind, though.  I've always thought he remains completely smitten with her and can't even contemplate life without her.  Her?  Im sure she loves him but she certainly has never seemed smitten.  In many relationships one partner is much more into the other and they have always read like that to me.  

On 12/30/2015 at 8:12 AM, missegeno said:

I feel like this picture shows exactly what Spurge will look like as an old man. Maybe I am just a weirdo, but sometimes I just feel like I can really see someone's visage of another time point. No idea what he'll look like as a toddler,  middle-ager, or anywhere in between. But that expression in the eyes, the droopy cheeks (just imagine them textured with pecked skin and light wrinkling, and a bit more deflated), and that combed-over hair. Does anyone else see it?

I totally see it. Also, why in the world would you comb-over a baby's hair? That may be one of the most disturbing things I've ever seen. 

On 12/30/2015 at 6:12 AM, missegeno said:

I feel like this picture shows exactly what Spurge will look like as an old man. Maybe I am just a weirdo, but sometimes I just feel like I can really see someone's visage of another time point. No idea what he'll look like as a toddler,  middle-ager, or anywhere in between. But that expression in the eyes, the droopy cheeks (just imagine them textured with pecked skin and light wrinkling, and a bit more deflated), and that combed-over hair. Does anyone else see it?

Definitely. I have no idea what possessed them to do that to his hair. 

I have seen a few babies with the old man look though. My brother looked exactly like our grandfather (and the same age at that) when he was a newborn, although I think he lucked out in that his head was totally bald rather than the receding hairline look.  My friends son also had a real old man look including the hairline up until a few months ago when his baby curls grew in.

5 hours ago, TuringMachine said:

Definitely. I have no idea what possessed them to do that to his hair. 

I have seen a few babies with the old man look though. My brother looked exactly like our grandfather (and the same age at that) when he was a newborn, although I think he lucked out in that his head was totally bald rather than the receding hairline look.  My friends son also had a real old man look including the hairline up until a few months ago when his baby curls grew in.

One of my sons was born with a beautiful head of brown hair, but he also had horrible cradle cap. One evening after I gave him his bath, I combed his hair and all the hair on the top of his head came out. I had been washing it with the stuff the doctor had told me to. He still had his hair going around the sides, he looked like a little old man for the longest time. (Now, as an adult he has beautiful, thick hair, so all is good).

5 hours ago, KSmom said:

One of my sons was born with a beautiful head of brown hair, but he also had horrible cradle cap. One evening after I gave him his bath, I combed his hair and all the hair on the top of his head came out. I had been washing it with the stuff the doctor had told me to. He still had his hair going around the sides, he looked like a little old man for the longest time. (Now, as an adult he has beautiful, thick hair, so all is good).

Both of my kids were born with full heads of hair and both lost all the hair on top of their heads within a few weeks and were left with a fringe around the sides. Totally looked like little old men. As adults my daughter has long curly hair. My son has thick straight hair which he insists on shaving off (maybe because whenever he lets it grow I love to rub my fingers through it).

Did anyone find that pic of Jordyn pretending to be pregnant with Jessa bothersome? Ghees We played house but never pretend to be pregnant at least not at 7. The 'kids' were already born. Maybe it's because of their belief women are for popping out babies.

8 minutes ago, roddma said:

Did anyone find that pic of Jordyn pretending to be pregnant with Jessa bothersome? Ghees We played house but never pretend to be pregnant at least not at 7. The 'kids' were already born. Maybe it's because of their belief women are for popping out babies.

Lots of children pretend to be pregnant when playing around. Especially if they are older siblings who have seen mummy pregnant. It really isn't unusual and I seriously doubt it is because they are told women are there for procreation. 

They mimic what they see. My Godson "breastfeeds" his stuffed monkey, because mummy breastfeeds his baby brother. 

2 hours ago, roddma said:

I've got a photo of me very pregnant and my goddaughter is standing next to me, sticking out her tummy and saying there was a baby in it.  Her mum had just had a baby, I was around a lot and pregnant, other friends were pregnant.  As @Jeebusismycopilot says, kids mimic what they see.  The younger Dugger girls see their fair share of pregnant women!  I've also got a cute photo of my daughter pretending to breast feed her babydoll.  If she had been a Duggar toddler, she'd probably also have a blanket covering the doll ;)

:agree:@Jeebusismycopilot and @Karma

Kids play helps them to process and understand the world they live in. There was an episode, I think the Jill's Delivery one, where TLC has Michelle teach the LGs about how to hold babies before the new baby comes. During the lesson, Josie pretends to breastfeed the baby. I would guess pregnancy- and baby- related play is very common in that house since they are so prevalent and associated with such positive elements (God's favor or whatever).

On 12/31/2015 at 9:28 PM, calimojo said:

Most babies have the same little  upturned nose, and yes, it is designed that way to facilitate breathing when nursing...

The nose debate reminds me of one of my nieces.  Her nose didn't look unusual when she was born, because babies usually have a tiny little upturned nose.  When she was five her nose had grown a bit longer, but was still really upturned and her nostrils were still really prevalent.  I wondered if she'd want a nose job later in life, because at that point her nose looked like a modified pig snout.

By the time she was ten her nose looked more normal, and by the time she was 16 she was absolutely stunning.

24 minutes ago, Flossie said:

The nose debate reminds me of one of my nieces.  Her nose didn't look unusual when she was born, because babies usually have a tiny little upturned nose.  When she was five her nose had grown a bit longer, but was still really upturned and her nostrils were still really prevalent.  I wondered if she'd want a nose job later in life, because at that point her nose looked like a modified pig snout.

By the time she was ten her nose looked more normal, and by the time she was 16 she was absolutely stunning.

My cousin's daughter that has a pig snout type nose as well.  It's actually getting more prevalent and I can imagine she may be getting teased about it.  She's twelve now, I have a feeling my cousin will take her to a plastic surgeon at some point.

On 12/31/2015 at 5:22 PM, EmCatlyn said:

Ah, but does JB know this?  He may have visions of showing Josh how it is done--divorce first, then find gorgeous women.

Seriously-- I suspect JB is self-deluded enough that, if he gave thought to the subject, he would think he would attract women other than Michelle.  But I am reasonably sure neither would seek divorce because it would make them look foolish and hypocritical.  Their "brand" matters.  Keeping up appearances matters.  Besides, even if they quarrel, I think their level of co-dependency is such that neither can envision life without the other.

As for the idea that they quarreled over exposing Anna on TV. I don't believe either of them has a sense of privacy or a bit of empathy for Anna.

IMHO- The most likely person in the TTH  to have complained that putting Anna on TV was exploitive was Grandma Duggar, possibly egged on by Amy who (in addition to being jealous) has enough sense about what the public would say and would perhaps make their grandmother uneasy enough to fuss at JB.  And the most likely person to report on this family tension would be Amy herself.  I don't believe it was her dad.

I would love to see what his excuse would be if JB ever did decided to divorce, what leaps of logic he would use from the bible to justify what he did.

And I think there probably are women who would go with him to latch on to his fame and any money he's pulling in.  Heck JimBoob might go for the trophy wife that's about the same age as his eldest daughters then (ewwwwww).

Yes, Donald Trump got himself in hot water being a dirty  old man by saying his daughter was beautiful & if she wasn't his daughter he'd date her. Can you imagine? First, that's a gross thing to say about AND infront of your daughter, but WTH does he even think a lovely young girl would touch him w/a ten foot poll.

J & M divorcing?  It'll never happen, but if it did, she would leave him.  That Puerto Rican marriage retreat/vacation/advertisement spoke volumes.  JB seriously thinks his marriage is perfect, whereas J'chelle seemed to have all these issues bottled up that she couldn't quite bring herself to express.  Or, maybe she's just a good actress.

On 12/19/2015 at 2:49 PM, Cerealgirl said:

Just saw this on fb and thought it was so "Michelle" looking. e49c345ec7ee34a384f437a3d5dbff92.jpg

This proves to me that women's clothes can get SO much worse than men's. Or that these women went easy on their dates. The guy to the right isn't my favorite outfit, but I can see someone wearing that. The left guy looks silly but not horrific. The women on the other hand... oh man!

I guess girls that havent reached double digits pretending to be pregnant/ breast feeding just rubs my feminist side the wrong way. Though kids should be aware of things, Constant play with gendered toys (kitchen sets, dolls, etc) just reinforces the expectations of women to be mothers and wives. I carried baby dolls to church but i never thought about pregnancy, and I saw pregnant women, it just wasnt on my radar and it shouldnt have been anyway. I also had doctors kits and pretend to be doctor on stuffed animals , microscopes, games, books, etc. I still only had a couple or three dolls. I just never was a doll person. Now I do make crochet outfits for my 'evil' Barbies for display.

My grandmother had a skirt and blouse just like the woman on the far left of the picture. Only her's was navy blue. She would wear it to church. This was 20 years ago or so.

Yeah, its crazy when they asked her abt Disagreements, and she basically said that even tho she express what she feels/wants Jim Bob usually ends up doing whatever he wants!!!

I can totally see her taking care of everything and him jst coasting by, like michelle sed during that PR marriage retreat.

J & M divorcing?  It'll never happen, but if it did, she would leave him.  That Puerto Rican marriage retreat/vacation/advertisement spoke volumes.  JB seriously thinks his marriage is perfect, whereas J'chelle seemed to have all these issues bottled up that she couldn't quite bring herself to express.  Or, maybe she's just a good actress.

1 hour ago, roddma said:

I guess girls that havent reached double digits pretending to be pregnant/ breast feeding just rubs my feminist side the wrong way. Though kids should be aware of things, Constant play with gendered toys (kitchen sets, dolls, etc) just reinforces the expectations of women to be mothers and wives. I carried baby dolls to church but i never thought about pregnancy, and I saw pregnant women, it just wasnt on my radar and it shouldnt have been anyway. I also had doctors kits and pretend to be doctor on stuffed animals , microscopes, games, books, etc. I still only had a couple or three dolls. I just never was a doll person. Now I do make crochet outfits for my 'evil' Barbies for display.

Funny story:  My *boys* have pretended they were pregnant and/or nursing their stuffed animals or a doll.  LOL  It's pretty cute and funny.  Since it was totally normal and something they saw a lot (me nursing) they mimicked me.  We thought it was funny. 

My girls did it too.  I did it as a child. 

Both sets of kids (boys and girls) play with kitchen sets, dolls, trucks, race car tracks, etc.  We don't really 'do' gendered anything.  Toys are toys and anyone who wants to play with them can when they like.  I have  an 8 yr old son who loves to get his sisters' American Girl dolls and comb and fix their hair.  I have a 2 and a half yr old who loves her kitchen set and Elsa doll (Frozen) but also loves to play with the Thomas Train set and the Hot Wheels racetrack. 

I'm liking those shoulder pads. NOT.    

When I worked in public accounting (in the 1990s) I wore stuff just like this... well, not the plum-ish color (or whatever it is)... too "bright") but similar style.    And the checked navy blue/green?  I think I donated that one to Goodwill.  

10 hours ago, 47of74 said:

I would love to see what his excuse would be if JB ever did decided to divorce, what leaps of logic he would use from the bible to justify what he did.

And I think there probably are women who would go with him to latch on to his fame and any money he's pulling in.  Heck JimBoob might go for the trophy wife that's about the same age as his eldest daughters then (ewwwwww).

Yeah, upon consideration, JimBob would not find it all that hard to find a second wife.  I can't imagine how he could justify divorce though, and in any case he truly seems to love Michelle.  

If Michelle were to pass away, he would definitely go for a younger model, a "woman of childbearing age," so he could continue procreating.

5 hours ago, twinmama said:

This proves to me that women's clothes can get SO much worse than men's. Or that these women went easy on their dates. The guy to the right isn't my favorite outfit, but I can see someone wearing that. The left guy looks silly but not horrific. The women on the other hand... oh man!

They all look sooo thrilled there.

• Coconut Flan unpinned and locked this topic

Archived