IGNORED

Texas Governor Orders Private Charities To Refuse Help To Homeless Syrian Refugees

doggie

since this is texas I won't make a separate post because this is what the asshat governor has caused 

Armed protesters stalk peaceful Muslims at Texas mosque: We want to show force

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/11/armed-protesters-stalk-peaceful-muslims-at-texas-mosque-we-want-to-show-force/

group of armed protesters who wanted to “show force” gathered outside a Texas mosque Saturday in response rumors about Syrian refugees and Sharia law.

The group, calling itself the Bureau of American Islamic Relations, stationed itself outside the Islamic Center of Irving carrying signs with messages like, “Stop the Islamization of America,” according to the Dallas Morning News. A video taken at the mosque shows a man dressed in black with his face masked carrying a rifle.

The group’s leader told the News they were upset because they had heard rumors of a Sharia court at the mosque and the prospect of letting Syrian refugees in. They also claimed members of the local Muslim community had made death threats against Irving’s mayor, Beth Van Duyne, earlier this year. The News found no evidence that this claim was true.

When asked by the News why his group was armed, organizer David Wright said the weapons were “mostly for self protection,” but then added, “But I’m not going to lie. We do want to show force. We’re not sitting ducks.”

He then added,“We don’t want people to think we’re out to kill people or shoot people. It would be ridiculous to protest Islam without defending ourselves.”

The town of Irving gained notoriety earlier this year when police arrested a Muslim school boy who had made a clock at home and brought it to school, accusing him of making a “hoax bomb.”

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does he ever stop to think that one of the reasons many young men like the ones who carried out the attack in Paris are turning to extremism and violence is because they feel alienated and disenfranchised, and groups like ISIS offer a sense of community and respect that their adopted Western homes do not or will not? More to the point, does he even have any shred of humanity or compassion? Now, I have a policy of not wishing death on people, even if they're irredeemably horrible bigots without a shred of kindness for others in a terrible situation. So unto Greg Abbott, instead I wish these things:

May he always miss his exit whenever he's driving on the freeway to go home, adding 15 minutes to his commute home every single day.

May he suddenly develop a mild allergy to the fabric of his underwear, making his genitals itch at inopportune times.

May he misjudge every fart.

May every pair of shoes he ever buys from now on give him horrible blisters.

May the path rise to meet him, and may that path be riddled with dog poop wherever he steps.

May his Netflix subscription get cancelled, and any attempt he makes to get it reinstated result in a garbled message about credit card fraud.

May the person in front of him in any line he ever stands in have an extremely complicated order/issue that takes at minimum 7 minutes and the presence of a manager to resolve.

May the proprietors of all Middle Eastern restaurants and businesses in Texas collectively decide to deny him service.

May his children pick out a horrible nursing home for him when he is old, and may the Maxwell family make that nursing home their new ministry, and may he be forced to go to every one of their "hanging out with the elderly" sessions.

Adding a couple to this:

May his pizzas always arrive late and with the wrong toppings.

May Legos find their way under his feet when he walks barefoot.

May any microphone he ever uses turn itself on at inopportune moments.

Adding a couple to this:

May his pizzas always arrive late and with the wrong toppings.

May Legos find their way under his feet when he walks barefoot.

May any microphone he ever uses turn itself on at inopportune moments.

May any food he microwaves not cook uniformly, so some parts are still basically frozen, but other parts are so hot that they burn the roof of his mouth.

May someone spoil his favorite TV show or book.

May he attend church, and may he think of something really, really funny during the most solemn part of the service, and then may he get a giggle fit that he is unable to stifle.

May he get diarrhea at Barnes and Noble. May his best friend laugh at him, tell everyone about his ordeal, and then recount the tale at a later date.

I think @nastyhobbitses is onto something here. We could introduce a whole new era of placing modern curses on the irredeemable, the incompetent, the truly offensive  and the wilfully stupid. Thanks in anticipation!:smiley-signs136:

Oh, and for that idiot Abbott,

May he not have changed his underwear the day he is in an accident.

May the power cut out at the climax of the big game he is watching on tv.

I hate to tell the governor but the terrorists are already here and they are homegrown. The FBI has investigations in all 50 states.

Also, not all Syrians are Muslim. The CIA fact book informed me that 10% of the population is Christian and 3% Druze.

I am more worried about being gunned down by a mental ill individual who was able to buy a gun than letting in Syrian refugees.

The screening process to let Syrian refugees into the country is extremely difficult. Only about 2% are single men.

Article on the screening process from the Wall Street Journal:

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2015/11/18/qa-how-does-the-syrian-refugee-screening-process-work/

I am deeply worried about the state of our country.

This is disgusting and embarrassing.  What has our country become? I guess it's time to take the statue of Liberty down. 

On another embarrassing note, I am horrified to find that my Democratic Governor wants to hold out on taking refugees until we are sure the security is securely secure or some other such bullshit.  Letter writing starting today.

Does he really expect Catholic Charities to disobey the Pope who said that it was the churches duty to aid these refugees?

And the American Friends Service Committee will continue to aid the refugees. I don't know how much funding they have that comes from the state, but I suspect not much anyway.

Thank god I read FJ! If I only read the newspapers, I would now, as a non American, believe that the entire US had decided to reject all Syrian refugees, and believed all Muslims to be potential terrorists - because that is how the reporting of nut jobs like Abbott, and of the vote in the House, comes across. Thank you for being the voice of tolerant and compassionate Americans. I just wish you, and those like you, were cited more in the international media. In a way, it's a bit like the moderate Muslims not being heard, either - neither of you are as newsworthy as the extremists.

I would also like to make note that not all Christians feel this way about taking people in. My pastor made a comment yesterday how Jesus said to do unto others how you would like them to do unto you, not do unto them as they MIGHT do to you

and I go to a conservative SBC church.

In this country you are far, far more likely to be killed by a family member wielding a gun than by a terrorist.  We really have to have our elected officials stop reacting emotionally to events and look at the actual risks out there.  We can't continue to be swayed by hysterical public opinion.

This is disgusting and embarrassing.  What has our country become? I guess it's time to take the statue of Liberty down. 

On another embarrassing note, I am horrified to find that my Democratic Governor wants to hold out on taking refugees until we are sure the security is securely secure or some other such bullshit.  Letter writing starting today.

There was the CNN reporter who tweeted after the House passed their odious legislation regarding the Syrian  refugees:  "The Statue of Liberty hangs head in anguish" and got suspended for the tweet.

I think that France ought to ask for their statue back.  Obviously it doesn't mean that much to some Americans anymore.

John Oliver said on Last Week Tonight and Orlando Jones had tweeted something similar a day or so earlier that in only one situation had refugees come here and proceeded to slaughter the natives.  John also pointed out that we're celebrating those same refugees this week.

Finally, I love the headline that a paper in Scotland, The National, had when they were about to welcome a large group of Syrian refugees:  "Welcome to Scotland"

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/11/22/1453341/-A-Scottish-Nationalist-Newspaper-made-sure-that-Syrian-Refugees-were-greeted-by-three-words

These Republican governors (mine included, Wisconsin) are such assholes.   

The process for being vetted as a refugee in the U.S. is already very lengthy (years) and very stringent.  If someone really wants to look thoughtfully at a process by which people enter our country, perhaps look at how we grant tourist visas (that process is less stringent, and imo, more possibilities for a bad guy/gal getting in).

My daughter is married to a Czech citizen (not a known terrorist country afaik) and the process they had to go through for his permanent legal residency was mind-boggling. 

And don't even get me started on Trump talking about Muslims having to wear some sort of identifying "badge" (Nazi Germany, anyone?) or being entered into a database (again, Nazi Germany)?

I agree - something has to be done about ISIS and its ilk . . .  they are surely determined to root out all the infidels in the west, but these refugees are fleeing ISIS and are in need of help.   I keep thinking that people are entitled to their own opinions but not to their own FACTS.   Ugh.   

I have a lot of American friends who've married foreigners and foreign friends who've married Americans, and all but one found it easier to get citizenship in the other country instead of the US.  The couple who stayed here are both college professors in specialty fields, and they have money and good health and are both white-skinned and basically everything that is "American," except one of then was born in New Zealand.  He's been talking lately about his it took even him THIRTEEN WHOLE YEARS to get residency, and he's not bothering trying for citizenship.  If he didn't have the wealth, he says he couldn't have gotten residency.  When rich white people married to Americans have a hard time, how can poor non-whites stand a chance?

There was the CNN reporter who tweeted after the House passed their odious legislation regarding the Syrian  refugees:  "The Statue of Liberty hangs head in anguish" and got suspended for the tweet.

I think that France ought to ask for their statue back.  Obviously it doesn't mean that much to some Americans anymore.

John Oliver said on Last Week Tonight and Orlando Jones had tweeted something similar a day or so earlier that in only one situation had refugees come here and proceeded to slaughter the natives.  John also pointed out that we're celebrating those same refugees this week.

Finally, I love the headline that a paper in Scotland, The National, had when they were about to welcome a large group of Syrian refugees:  "Welcome to Scotland"

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/11/22/1453341/-A-Scottish-Nationalist-Newspaper-made-sure-that-Syrian-Refugees-were-greeted-by-three-words

That newspaper headline make's me very proud of my country.  May all the Syrian refugees who arrived here have a long and peaceful life in their new home's.

That newspaper headline make's me very proud of my country.  May all the Syrian refugees who arrived here have a long and peaceful life in their new home's.

To all our Scottish posters - congratulations on having some intelligent, empathetic, and compassionate press to represent your nation internationally!

I guess now that Obamacare and gay marriage are pretty much a done deal, crap like this is all they have left to get worked up about.  It's pathetic, really.  And fuck CNN for suspending that reporter.  I don't understand how the media can treat these ridiculous politicians as though they are sane and these policies are reasonable.  It's scary.

Does he ever stop to think that one of the reasons many young men like the ones who carried out the attack in Paris are turning to extremism and violence is because they feel alienated and disenfranchised, and groups like ISIS offer a sense of community and respect that their adopted Western homes do not or will not? More to the point, does he even have any shred of humanity or compassion? Now, I have a policy of not wishing death on people, even if they're irredeemably horrible bigots without a shred of kindness for others in a terrible situation. So unto Greg Abbott, instead I wish these things:

May he always miss his exit whenever he's driving on the freeway to go home, adding 15 minutes to his commute home every single day.

May he suddenly develop a mild allergy to the fabric of his underwear, making his genitals itch at inopportune times.

May he misjudge every fart.

May the path rise to meet him, and may that path be riddled with dog poop wherever he steps.

May his Netflix subscription get cancelled, and any attempt he makes to get it reinstated result in a garbled message about credit card fraud.

May the person in front of him in any line he ever stands in have an extremely complicated order/issue that takes at minimum 7 minutes and the presence of a manager to resolve.

May the proprietors of all Middle Eastern restaurants and businesses in Texas collectively decide to deny him service.

May his children pick out a horrible nursing home for him when he is old, and may the Maxwell family make that nursing home their new ministry, and may he be forced to go to every one of their "hanging out with the elderly" sessions.

Guys, there's a problem with the new interface. I appear to be only able to like a post once. Can we fix that?

In this country you are far, far more likely to be killed by a family member wielding a gun than by a terrorist.  We really have to have our elected officials stop reacting emotionally to events and look at the actual risks out there.  We can't continue to be swayed by hysterical public opinion.

Really, need to be able to like more than once. This is a problem!

So unto Greg Abbott, instead I wish these things:

I disagree with the man on this and other issues, but some of those curses should be modified...

abbottelection2014jpg-0cd68a5b72e924f7.j

I disagree with the man on this and other issues, but some of those curses should be modified...
abbottelection2014jpg-0cd68a5b72e924f7.j

Sorry, but with his support for therapy cuts, I wouldn't modify. He has the money to cope with his challenges; those who do not, can just sink,as far as he is concerned.

Now this one just seems excessively cruel.  :smiley-signs136:

Good Lord this country is becoming terrifying. How can people be this stupid and short sighted? How can they listen to Trump and his ilk and NOT be seeing the stark parallels in rhetoric to Hitler ? How??? It wasn't THAT long ago. I'm in my early 50's. Many of these politicians, and their supporters are my age or older. Surely they heard their grandparents or parents talk about what happened? Or learned about it in school. Or just, from TV or the news or the damn Internet. What the hell

Archived