IGNORED

Chainmail (Jewelry)

Walking Cat Bed

I took a chainmail class at my university's craft center earlier this semester, and I am HOOKED. It's amazing how satisfying the process is.

I've mostly been making pendants and bracelets (a few necklaces) mixed with beads and colored wire. I forgot how much I enjoy instant gratification projects. Knitting takes a bit longer. :)

I have not done it in a while but I love intricate bead weaving with seed beads and crystals. I have been looking through my stash lately considering giving it a go again. I would love to see your work.

I took a chainmail class at my university's craft center earlier this semester, and I am HOOKED. It's amazing how satisfying the process is.

I've mostly been making pendants and bracelets (a few necklaces) mixed with beads and colored wire. I forgot how much I enjoy instant gratification projects. Knitting takes a bit longer. :)

If you have any family or friends who cook with cast iron, you could make some of these for gifts. :pb_smile: 

I was just wondering do you use jumprings for the chainmail? I think if I had to make the rings myself it would become tiresome. I would want to get creating.

Chainmail can be so beautiful...but so time intensive too!  Wish I had to patience!

@Grimalkin--just had to comment on your screen name!  It's basically a hybrid of two names on my family tree:my_biggrin: 

My future headship has been working on a chainmail shirt for years, and he hasn't even started making the sleeves at this point.

• 4 months later...

I rarely venture out of QFoS, so didn't find this until now, but...Hi, I'm K'Z'K, and I'm a mailler. Yes, it's addictive. Yes, it's awesome. I usually make jewelry, but I've done a few other things as well. Current small project: a Turkish Round bracelet in 20.5AWG, 2.8mm ID bright aluminum. Grand plans for someday doing a big inlay of the bestest animal ever (aardvark), but since a small, simple inlay took approximately forever.... Someday. Most insane project thus far: an Elfweave Braid bracelet in 24AWG, 5/64" ID anodized titanium. Needed a magnifier for that one. You will pry my Xuron 475s out of my cold dead hands, and only after they rust.

I buy all my rings. For some people it makes sense to make their own (and they get that extra level of handmadedness), but with the materials and range of sizes I like, buying is a must. Some suppliers are kinda expensive, but others are reasonable to cheap.

To any aspiring junkies. . . there are tons of tutorials out there, some good books, and several specialty suppliers. None of that craft store junk. The Ring Lord is cheaper and higher quality, and they know their shit. I'd be happy to help anyone get hooked...

I . . . may have a problem.

[/goes back to corner, reveling in the shiny shiny rings....]

I get 90% of my rings and related supplies from The Ring Lord. It's worth waiting a few more days for an order. The other 10% are usually kits and random beads/embellishments/pendants/clasps. 

I'm currently turning an enormous amount of beads and tiny rings into charms for many upcoming projects. Repetitive but mindless, which is perfect for this stage of my capstone paper.

Archived