IGNORED

Ghost Stories: Do You Haz?

FundieFarmer

@ksgranola1 Wow. How long have you lived in the house, do you own it? There are people who can get rid of this stuff. When I lived in Northern Virginia in Civil War territory, near Manassas I knew of a couple who woke up to see a Civil War soldier and  Native American in their room. I met the woman. And they found someone to "rid" them of these spirits. I don't  know how you would begin looking, or how you would know if the person was for real.  I guess there wouldn't be a review on Yelp, ha  ha. But it can be done in some cases. 

Keep us informed. Very interesting. 

• Upvote 3

We've lived here 10 years come April. Moved to Georgia to help w/expected grandchild. Yes, we own it, but I haven't been able to find out much about the history of the house. I'm not afraid of this entity, tho. I could smudge the house w/sage but I don't feel the need. I did wake up one night to a voice by the br door going, OLLIEPHIPHEROLLIEPHIPHER! Like he was very annoyed & he said it all in one word like that, so I just kept repeating it to myself over & over until I got the names separate. His name he wanted me to know, was Ollie Phipher. So I started looking. There are hundreds of Ollie Phipher's in this country living & dead. And just as many Oliver Phipher's. Also Pheiffer's, Fiffer's and a cpl other spelling's as well.  I detected a slight accent.

• Upvote 1

I forgot to tell you about the vegetables.

We came back from the market one morning,usual once a week groceries; I too the bag w/bathrm stuff & just placed it just inside the bedroom door. Yes, I made sure I had the right bag. Toothpaste, TP, my eye drops, soap. Dropped it off & went right to my computer room. My hubby like to put away the groceries so hell, I'm not going to stop him. A cpl hours later, I went into the bedroom and the potatoes and onions we had bought that morning were on the bed.

Not just ON the bed, they were arranged. Onions on one side, the potatoes  on the other. The bags were twisted shut & the tops fanned out,as if arranged. I was so stunned. I should have left them there & gotten hubby to take a look  but I gathered them up & went into the living room.

"Did you put the potatoes & onions on the bed?" I asked him. He gave me that deer-in-the-headlights look. "I put them in the vegetable drawer. Why?"

They were on our bed-all laid out." I told him. There's only the 2 of us. Even if he had accidently-how could that happen-carried them into the bedroom, he wouldn't have laid them out like that.

Freakiest thing I ever saw.

• Upvote 9

@ksgranola1 You are very brave. I am speechless. I guess you are much braver than me, lol.

Have you talked to anyone familiar with spirits about this? Although, what can someone do except what I suggested above. Life is very different than we think I do believe, in certain areas. 

Like, what causes certain homes/areas to be "haunted" and not others. So many people do not believe this i s actually happening that I have not heard of any true research about it. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

@ksgranola1 Wow. How long have you lived in the house, do you own it? There are people who can get rid of this stuff. When I lived in Northern Virginia in Civil War territory, near Manassas I knew of a couple who woke up to see a Civil War soldier and  Native American in their room. I met the woman. And they found someone to "rid" them of these spirits. I don't  know how you would begin looking, or how you would know if the person was for real.  I guess there wouldn't be a review on Yelp, ha  ha. But it can be done in some cases. 

Keep us informed. Very interesting. 

When I was 4 years old, I would tell my mom that I would see Pocahontas in my closet. I have no memory of this, but apparently it had freaked her and dad out because they had been experiencing some weird stuff that couldn't be explained. My grandma had found somebody to cleanse our house, and the problems stopped. It can be done!

• Upvote 1

Ah, I just thought of the one other really weird and unexplained thing that ever happened to me.

I was home alone with my mom one day (not weird at all, I'm an only child and she was a stay-at-home mom until I went to college). I was about 8, maybe? Not entirely sure to be honest. Not super young but definitely not in the teens yet and probably not in double digits yet either. Anyway, I was alone in the living room, sitting on my end of the couch, and for some reason I looked up to the opposite end. This was a normal, full-length couch, so there was a good amount of space between myself and this other end. As I looked, I saw an opaque black head with no features other than a pair of slightly slanted, glowing red eyes rise up from behind the couch arm. It reminded me of the shape of a seal, except for the eye shape being quite wrong for a seal. When it noticed me looking, it ducked behind the couch arm again and vanished. The whole thing happened in complete silence, and this is one of the few cases where I know I definitely wasn't dreaming. I had never experienced anything before in that house, and have never experienced anything since. If my parents ever experienced anything they never told me. We did have a dog for most of my childhood (who was not in the room at the time and definitely did not look like a demonic seal anyway), and she would sometimes bark at "nothing," but we always managed to explain it away as her barking at an animal outside that we couldn't spot (which wouldn't be all that weird since we live in a very heavily forested area). 

• Upvote 1

I did contact 3 paranormal groups. ONe, in the next town, never responded. Apple picking las t fall, I saw a girl in a "Middle Ga.Paranormal Group. She said Marietta was too far for them to travel. Then I saw someone on FB but thought better of having a strange man come over. As long as this spirit isn't breaking things or touching us,

2 hours ago, ksgranola1 said:

I did contact 3 paranormal groups. ONe, in the next town, never responded. Apple picking las t fall, I saw a girl in a "Middle Ga.Paranormal Group. She said Marietta was too far for them to travel. Then I saw someone on FB but thought better of having a strange man come over. As long as this spirit isn't breaking things or touching us,

Have you spoken to the spirit, as in ask them to stop and say something nice, like, ..I don't know what. People on this thread I think have done that. And yes, no strange man coming over. But there might be others, although it is a strange thing to start going around asking about. Do you belong to a church, would anyone there have had some experience? 

There is enough of this around that I wish there was help in this. But, nobody wants to publiclly acknowledge it I guess. 

The first group I contacted, the one in the next town had me fill out a lengthy form & one question was, "Does anyone from you church know of your experience?" And I answered, "Hell no, they already think I'm a little nuts.";)

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

Have you spoken to the spirit, as in ask them to stop and say something nice, like, ..I don't know what. People on this thread I think have done that. And yes, no strange man coming over. But there might be others, although it is a strange thing to start going around asking about. Do you belong to a church, would anyone there have had some experience? 

There is enough of this around that I wish there was help in this. But, nobody wants to publiclly acknowledge it I guess. 

I've done that -- when one of the cats seems especially freaked out or grouchy, I tell them "hey now, Ghostie has lived here much longer than us and is being very nice, letting us stay in their house. Don't give Ghostie attitude."

When I first moved in, I said, out loud, "thank you for letting me live in your lovely house. I hope we can be friends."

It sounds silly, but it felt effective -- if nothing else, I convinced myself that Ghostie is benevolent or neutral.

• Upvote 7

8 minutes ago, ksgranola1 said:

The first group I contacted, the one in the next town had me fill out a lengthy form & one question was, "Does anyone from you church know of your experience?" And I answered, "Hell no, they already think I'm a little nuts.";)

Too funny. This kind of thing is not in the bible, really, except for Jesus Christ, I guess, sort of. 

I would think someone could help you, but hard to find. Depends on how you feel about it. The veggie thing would be quite the thing. I thought it took a lot of energy for a spirit to move physical things. But they have never "appeared" to you, have they?

Maybe the Long Island Medium. But she is not near you and probably is quite expensive. 

LI Medium is 2 towns over from where we lived on LI. Our house there was 100 y.o. but I never felt a spirit there. I started hearing scratching in the walls-freaked me out...we had mice.

have they "appeared" to me? well....you better sit down.

My hubby has this heart condition & I am very restless at night so he sleeps down the hall so I don't wake him. He has to get up to pee at least once & I am usually awake when he does that. I see his flash light go on. I wait for what should be the appropriate amount of time, wait for him to get back in bed, flashlight off. So I know he's ok.

But this one night, I noticed there was still a small yellow glow in the hall so I got up on one elbow to see if he was up again. The "yellow glow" suddenly peaked around my door. It was translucent. We stared at each other & I was frozen. I blinked a cpl times to see if it was my eyes. he was cute. Round face,curly hair, little mustache,PJ's, & a robe that looked plaid. That was maybe 6 seconds. I was telling myself it was just my imagination when he turned & floated into my computer room. His robe billowed out behind him. Well,  at least now I know what he looks like.

I did not go back to sleep after that.

Early on in this freak fest, I have a couple of times felt someone lie  down next to me. I thought it was my hubby. I felt behind me for his hand. Nothing there. Hubby covered every room w/the holy water after that!

• Upvote 1

I got scared in my apartment about a year ago. My sister did too. I was in the living room that has a huge window I always have open, anyway, it was around 11pm when I was on my laptop and something -someone- whistled on my ear and then blow some air in both of them. I was very calm, closed the window and went to sleep. My sister stayed about a week later and the exact same thing happened to her, except that she was just watching TV... She screamed like a maniac though... lol. The next day I bought a huge bouquet and several plants and ALL of them died within 24 hours. Never had another experience myself but my sis was here two months ago and she got scared again.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, ksgranola1 said:

LI Medium is 2 towns over from where we lived on LI. Our house there was 100 y.o. but I never felt a spirit there. I started hearing scratching in the walls-freaked me out...we had mice.

My hubby has this heart condition & I am very restless at night so he sleeps down the hall so I don't wake him. He has to get up to pee at least once & I am usually awake when he does that. I see his flash light go on. I wait for what should be the appropriate amount of time, wait for him to get back in bed, flashlight off. So I know he's ok.

But this one night, I noticed there was still a small yellow glow in the hall so I got up on one elbow to see if he was up again. The "yellow glow" suddenly peaked around my door. It was translucent. We stared at each other & I was frozen. I blinked a cpl times to see if it was my eyes. he was cute. Round face,curly hair, little mustache,PJ's, & a robe that looked plaid. That was maybe 6 seconds. I was telling myself it was just my imagination when he turned & floated into my computer room. His robe billowed out behind him. Well,  at least now I know what he looks like.

Early on in this freak fest, I have a couple of times felt someone lie  down next to me. I thought it was my hubby. I felt behind me for his hand. Nothing there. Hubby covered every room w/the holy water after that!

I am stunned. How are you feeling about this, lol? I mean, are you nervous a lot, or used to it by now? 

7 hours ago, ksgranola1 said:

Agreed.   This is strange stuff!  Something is obs a roommate... Wow, you have nerves of steel!

I remembered another story. I had a friend who lived in an old, crumbling Victorian mansion and the remainder of its "grounds" alone. It was the family manse and he was the last of the family. He kept the cremated remains of his parents and a few other relatives in brass cubes on the fireplace mantel. "Meet the folks", he'd say when he pointed to them.. Tasteful display, photos and flowers, not rude or anything, just like Jimmy...

I'd been to his house a few times, but this particular time, we were working on something for a group we were part of, and I was spending the night. We'd worked in his "office", which was basically a huge room, bay window, fireplace, its own bathroom, and outfitted with many shelves for books. Very comfortable place, until time came for me to go to sleep. (there was a bed in this room, and that's where I was staying.)

I sensed the presence of a very angry old lady. Very. Angry. I couldn't really shake it, but I think it was that after Jimmy had gone off to his room, I'd wandered the room a bit and had picked up a few items and looked at them... just little odds and ends that were there...

At one point I HAD to get out of bed to use the restroom. Before I did, I said, out loud, "I mean you no harm. I mean Jimmy no harm. I don't want any thing. I appreciate the use of this room and this bed, but I really just want to sleep. Please?"  Gradually the ill feeling lessened.

Next morning, I relate this to Jimmy, who says, "Oh, you met Aunt X. You slept in her room. She died in that room. You may hav been the first person to sleep there since."

I guess I said the right thing, then.

• Upvote 4

19 hours ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

I am stunned. How are you feeling about this, lol? I mean, are you nervous a lot, or used to it by now? 

I still get a little freaked out, but I don't believe it's dangerous. This house had a lot of gardening started when we moved in. The lady who owned it said the guy she bought it from had started up making terraces & such. But he must have died in the process. That was 40 years ago. So I figure it must be him. And Now that I've "seen" him, I know he couldn't hurt a fly.

Our old house on Long Island, it was your basic Victorian. Not fancy. It was built for the people who worked on a near-by estate. People were born there & died there, that's for sure. We started ripping down walls in every room. If there had been any spirits in that house, surely ripping the walls down would have brought them out. My mother died there. Maybe she's haunting the current owners.;)

We did take down one wall here, maybe that stirred Ollie up.

• Upvote 1

No, it is not dangerous, just nervewracking I would think. Amazing that you saw him, Ollie! 

And we cannot know who becomes a ghost, who gets to "travel on", and so on and so forth. It is fascinating, but I think it would drive me nuts. This is the way of the world, it would seem!!

When my grandma's grandparents got married in 1911, they moved into a house that had just been built for them. This house came to be known as 'the old house' in our family, and saw a lot of happiness and tragedy. Their six daughters were born there.

The second oldest died when she was three (I've heard different stories, either she ate soap with lye in it or she had a hole in her heart).

In 1924, the husband died, I think of pneumonia. He wasn't resting as he should have been and apparently the doctor at the time was on drugs, and did not provide adequate care. He was only 43. Two days later, on the same day they buried him, his youngest daughter was born. 

The oldest daughter was born with severe scoliosis and died in her mid-30s (like the others, in the house).

My grandma, her parents, and her brother lived there for a while when she was young. She and her brother were both born in the house. By that time it was also serving as the post office. People would come in to get the mail, and sit around and gossip. 

Grandma's grandma passed away in the 50s of a stroke - again, in the house.

All the wakes were also held in the house.

Strange things used to happen there. My grandma's cousin was staying there as a teenager and always wanted to sleep with the door closed. But every time she closed the door, it would end up swinging open again. It was their grandmother's room, and grandmother had always slept with the door open. During the day, the door stayed closed.

One summer my grandma and my mum and uncle were staying at the house. My mum and uncle were kids, and had gone down to the beach to play. My grandma was alone there, but suddenly she heard loud footsteps upstairs. She thought, "How did those kids get in here without me seeing them?" She ran upstairs, and no one was there.

When my grandma's cousin was an adult, she was staying at the house with her husband and their infant son. In the night, her husband woke up to see an older woman in a long dress leaning over the cradle where the baby slept.

My family went down to the house one summer when my sister and I were kids. We had these bubble maker things that would play songs when you pressed certain buttons. We left them out on the porch. Late one night, when we were all in bed, we heard the bubble makers start playing music outside. My mum said the wind must have done it, but she was freaked out. She went to a different room to sleep, and slept much better. The next morning, my grandma told her that the room she'd slept in was the one they used to lay the bodies out it. Haha.

I don't necessarily think any of these things are paranormal. But if the spirits of my ancestors do visit the old house, I would never be afraid of them. They were kind, loving people with wonderful senses of humour in life, and I see no reason why they would be different in the great beyond.

• Upvote 8

I'm really surprised that the paranormal group two towns over never responded. Usually a possibility of sighting a full bodied apparition would pique their interest!

Have you ever tried looking through newspaper archives or property records? More and more of those have become digitized and some are even indexed!

On 23.2.2016 at 4:01 PM, MarblesMom said:
On 24.2.2016 at 6:06 AM, MarblesMom said:

Agreed.   This is strange stuff!  Something is obs a roommate... Wow, you have nerves of steel!

You are brave, @ksgranola1.  I would be in the nearest hotel, calling a realtor.

I agree. I most likely would be calling the realtor from the hospital they would have to take me after suffering a severe nervous breakdown. I don't think I could deal with any of these things you guys describe here.

What I'm still wondering: assuming that there is such a thing as ghosts, considering the billions of people who died since the beginning of mankind, shouldn't there be a lot more spirits around?

My own relatively recent experince with this was hearing my Grandma call me out of bed in the middle of the night after passing on the other side of the country, Enough that I went wandering around the house I was staying in. I'm glad we have a thread receptive to it. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Peas n carrots said:

I'm really surprised that the paranormal group two towns over never responded. Usually a possibility of sighting a full bodied apparition would pique their interest!

Have you ever tried looking through newspaper archives or property records? More and more of those have become digitized and some are even indexed!

Yes, Ive looked in all that's available online. I checked war records back to the civil war. Birth & death certificates. There were just so many spellings for the name "Pheiffer." There are 4 deceased Pheiffer's in close prozimity. One in Tx, 1 Ky, 1 Oh, and ONE IN GA, in the next town! But I can't just call somebody up & say, "Um..your dead relative is haunting my house." I have to get downtown to check our property records.

I'm probably less scared now than I was before the apparition.

Like I tell my husband, we don't know everything. I've heard scientists say they think there could be a '4th dimension,' we just can't see it.

No scientist or professional wants to investigate this because they will be labelled crazy. I do think, hearing it here and other places, that many ghost will respond to requests to cease and desist. And the sage clearing is something too, but who does it. 

And yes, billiions of people have died and where are all those ghosts? Dunno. It is only really relevant if they are "bothering" you. And I've heard that Gettysburg and then the stories I told of Civil War areas, are really haunted. Poor soldiers. What it is, and is that what we all have to look forward to, is anybody's guess. No reputable person studies it. 

• Upvote 1