IGNORED

Ghost Stories: Do You Haz?

FundieFarmer

Thanks. Interesting picture! I always wonder about photoshopping but if it's real, it's remarkable.

I have to admit I was kind of hoping you caught a picture of Ollie!

• I Agree 2

?Ollie isn't very photogenic. It's like you can see right thru him.

But I developed a cold yesterday and after a mix-up about tissues, I retired for the night,

I had a box of tissues by my side. We had just been to the market & bought a cpl extras.

When I woke up this morning, one of the extra boxes was on the bed. Hubby said,

"I thought you were just playing it safe."

This is why I think Ollie is so endearing.

• Upvote 6

• 2 months later...
On 12/31/2019 at 7:18 PM, ksgranola1 said:

But I developed a cold yesterday and after a mix-up about tissues, I retired for the night,

I had a box of tissues by my side. We had just been to the market & bought a cpl extras.

Hey there! Happy new year! Just checking in for any new Ollie stories. ?

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

That Twitter feed was amazing - thanks!

On 12/31/2019 at 7:18 PM, ksgranola1 said:

Hi ksg1! I hope you are doing okay in this time of pandemic.

Wondering if Ollie has been up to anything...things have been so emotional this year!

• Thank You 1

• 5 months later...

I miss us on here.... certainly someone's something has been a knockin

• Upvote 1

Hi, Elderly & FJ-

Ollie has been very quiet lately. It's been a while since he has made an appearance.

I'm a foodie too, FJ. Love to cook. I'm sick right now so have to wait to try a new tortilla soup recipe from the Pioneer woman.

I threw up in the supermarket yesterday. Talk about embarrassing! I had eaten a piece of 6 day old deli roast beef. It seemed alright but apparently not. But I had all the fixin's for my great grandma's  Maine seafood chowder in my basket so today I had to cook up the base so we didn't have cod moldering in the fridge. I sent my hubby back to Publix to pick up the remaining things I didn't get yesterday or he would have done it. He's a good cook.

I better get back to bed.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 3

• 2 years later...

Not sure what made me think to pop in here tonight. The house we live in currently is a very peaceful house. However we have lost all but one of our pets since we’ve been here. Did think I sensed on of the dogs a while ago….standing by the bed where she always waited for me to get up. I caught a glimpse of our cat….she was 19….just a flash of black running past the end of the bed. Nothing else in the house is the right size to be what I saw. 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 3

In Dubuque there's the Hotel Julien Dubuque.  It has an interesting history going back to 1839 when the first hotel, then called the Waples House was built.  It became the Julien House in the 1850s when it was remodeled and expanded.  The present hotel was finished in 1915 after a fire destroyed the old structure.  Abraham Lincoln was believed to have stayed in the 1839 building when he was in the area attending to legal matters in Galena.  During the early 20th century it was rumored that Al Capone owned the hotel and used it as a retreat when it got a bit too interesting in Chicago.  In the following years people reported seeing a man in vintage clothes on the upper floors of the hotel.

There's just one catch... the Hotel Julien is one of the most haunted buildings in Iowa.

Guests and staff have reported sightings of a figure floating through the halls, dressed in vintage clothing. The man is usually spotted on the upper floors of the hotel.

Al Capone stayed here frequently, and many guests believe he is the ghost that refuses to leave. Dubuque was one city the mafia man used as a hideout during Prohibition.

The hotel was fixed up really nicely 13 years ago to bring it up to par with newer hotels in town, and to also restore vintage features after "improvements" were made in the 1960s and 70s.  Improvements that didn't age well. 

• Upvote 2

• 11 months later...

Weird story: I have been out on Lake Superior overnight. Anchored once with family off of Sand Island, quiet night, great for stars. I went up to the deck by myself to look, since my bunk was near the stern, and heard splashing and crying out/struggling in the water near the boat. I looked all over and got out a flashlight, literally ready to start throwing ropes. I even stripped off, because I felt a draw to jump in and save whoever it was.

But just ripples in the water. I did hear one voice mention "Sevona", and looked it up. There was a shipwreck a hundred years earlier, the Sevona, and seven people died in that anchorage near the lighthouse. I guess you can't rescue ghosts, and I'm glad I wasn't stupid enough to get in the water.

Also, in my life, in times when I've been really upset or stressed, stuff tends to break. Last time that happened was when I failed the bar exam by half a point, was completely freaking out about it, and four or five glasses shifted in a cabinet, so that one couldn't open it up and fix them without breaking a few. They were well back before that. Another time as a teenager in similar circumstances, a big stack of books, but well set not to fall, fell over.

• Upvote 4