IGNORED

Ghost Stories: Do You Haz?

FundieFarmer

According to Kim Russo some of your spirit guides are deceased relatives. I have told this guy to not be scaring people. Me in particular.

@ksgranola1 Thanks, I don't know of any relatives other than my grandmother who is deceased that I would welcome as a guide, lol. I thought in a way that someone was not any wiser just because they were deceased. But I don't know.

Hope your ghost behaves himself. 

Someone was walking around upstairs the other day... creaky wooden floors.

I am not scared anymore, it is just weird.  

• Upvote 1

Oh man, so many things. I saw a hand come over the headboard at my grandma's house when I was little. It was ghostly white and creepy-looking. It seemed to move back when I closed my eyes, so I just closed my eyes and kept them that way. I was terrified, though.

My grandma's house was super-creepy. Think the phone--which was hanging up on the wall on it's cradle--would start dialing by itself. Lamps would come on by themselves. There was just an overall bad feeling there. I lived there for awhile as a teenager and I was terrified basically the entire time.

I heard my grandpa snoring once, in the middle of the day, two years after he died. The weird thing was, I wasn't scared that time. I am the biggest scaredy-cat when it comes to this stuff. But I just called my grandma to come hear it so I knew I wasn't losing my mind (she heard it too). Also, it was coming from a corner of the ceiling, not the place where he would normally fall asleep in his chair.

Hmmm, what else? I saw one of my cats the week after he died. He stared at me until I realized he looked healthy again (he'd gotten super skinny from kidney disease), then climbed over me and disappeared. That cat hated me for most of his life (he got more friendly in his old age), so that was surprising. I think my (other) grandma sent him.

I never got visited by S after he died (my cat that was totally my baby--I've talked about him on FJ before). I'm kind of upset about that but sometimes I feel a cat walking on my pillow when I'm in bed and I reach to pat M (my other cat who is miraculously still alive at 19), but there's nothing there. Maybe it's S. 

Oh, and I meant to ask...am I the only one who goes into total denial mode when something weird happens? Like, "Oh, I hear breathing and there's no one else here but me and the cat...nope, nothing weird about that. I hear nothing. It's probably just us somehow. Even though it's coming from over there..." or "Hmmm, why are those shadows on the ceiling moving in a way that makes no sense? I think I'll just go to sleep and pretend I didn't see that..."

• Upvote 4

This isn't a scary story, per se, but it's hard for me to write.

My brother died almost 3 years ago (it was sudden, but we weren't all that surprised). I went to the memorial service for a friend's son about 1 years & a few months after my brother passed, & at end of the service, (if we chose) we could release a balloon in either the friend's son's memory, or for anyone else we chose (& we could write things on the balloon, too).

I took a marker & wrote a short message to my brother, & asked him to say hello to our grandparents and one of our aunts. I kissed it & let it fly with the others. Overall, it was a sweet service & it was nice to see the balloons fly away.

A few hours later, I was driving home after going grocery shopping. As I was driving up the ramp to a local mall on the way home, I was thinking of my brother (which I do every day) & listening to music. I distinctly heard his laughter & when he was really amused about something he'd always said "Oh No", & I heard that too.

Makes me wonder if he'd seen the balloon itself. :: shrugs ::

• Upvote 4
  • Love 2

23 hours ago, Lainey said:

Oh man, so many things. I saw a hand come over the headboard at my grandma's house when I was little. It was ghostly white and creepy-looking. It seemed to move back when I closed my eyes, so I just closed my eyes and kept them that way. I was terrified, though.

My grandma's house was super-creepy. Think the phone--which was hanging up on the wall on it's cradle--would start dialing by itself. Lamps would come on by themselves. There was just an overall bad feeling there. I lived there for awhile as a teenager and I was terrified basically the entire time.

I heard my grandpa snoring once, in the middle of the day, two years after he died. The weird thing was, I wasn't scared that time. I am the biggest scaredy-cat when it comes to this stuff. But I just called my grandma to come hear it so I knew I wasn't losing my mind (she heard it too). Also, it was coming from a corner of the ceiling, not the place where he would normally fall asleep in his chair.

Hmmm, what else? I saw one of my cats the week after he died. He stared at me until I realized he looked healthy again (he'd gotten super skinny from kidney disease), then climbed over me and disappeared. That cat hated me for most of his life (he got more friendly in his old age), so that was surprising. I think my (other) grandma sent him.

I never got visited by S after he died (my cat that was totally my baby--I've talked about him on FJ before). I'm kind of upset about that but sometimes I feel a cat walking on my pillow when I'm in bed and I reach to pat M (my other cat who is miraculously still alive at 19), but there's nothing there. Maybe it's S. 

Oh, and I meant to ask...am I the only one who goes into total denial mode when something weird happens? Like, "Oh, I hear breathing and there's no one else here but me and the cat...nope, nothing weird about that. I hear nothing. It's probably just us somehow. Even though it's coming from over there..." or "Hmmm, why are those shadows on the ceiling moving in a way that makes no sense? I think I'll just go to sleep and pretend I didn't see that..."

Before my husband and I bought our own house we rented the lower (and earlier, the 2nd story) of a house that was built in the 1880s. 

We had heard stories about that house before we moved in.  I was ok with it, I like spooky stuff.  I thought it was interesting. :)

The landlord was renovating the house.  When we lived on the top floor (with 1 room on the lower story), the 1st floor was being renovated and vice versa. Our landlord used the unoccupied floor once in awhile to sleep over when he came into town on a red-eye flight and wanted to get some sleep before driving  to his home in the suburbs.

This incident happened when we lived on the 2nd floor.  One morning my husband left for work as usual.  I worked at home so when he left I was still in my PJs eating cereal and watching Phil Donohue on TV. ;)

A few minutes after he left I heard the front door being unlocked.  Sometimes my husband would forget things and come back to retrieve them.  I didn't think anything of it.  

I heard the door unlock and footsteps go into his first floor studio.  Then things started to get interesting.  I heard what sounded like furniture being overturned.  I was sure that we were being robbed.  

Whoever (whomever?) was trashing the studio burst out into the hallway and started up the stairs.  The footsteps were heavy, like a big man was making them.  I hid myself as best I could in on the upstairs landing and watched and waited for whatever was next...

I remember my cat "Kitty" was sitting at the top of the stairs, we didn't have dogs at the time.  She didn't appear to be scared.  Cats are curious creatures. 

I heard the footsteps ascending the stairs. They stopped right in front of our bedroom door.

Just like that it was over.  I tried to convince myself that I had imagined it. :) I went downstairs and looked for damage.  Nothing was out of place.

During our time in that house we heard lots of stories about it.  Supposedly it had been a hippie hangout in the early 70s.  Some violent stuff had gone on there.

We painted the kitchen once.  The house had those transom windows over the doors.  I found pieces of broken 70s dishes sitting on the transom moldings.  

Someone liked to throw dishes in a fight, I guess...

Back to my beloved cat, Kitty.  When she died we were devastated.  I used to snuggle with her on the couch in our living room while watching TV.  The night after she died I missed her so much that I pretended she was on the couch with me and I was petting her like always.  I made all the motions- yeah, I know I'm a weirdo.

My husband was lying on a blanket on the floor in front of the couch.

After a while of pretending to cuddle my dear, departed Kitty I relaxed and let her go.  I heard the sound of a cat jumping down from the couch onto the floor.  My husband gasped, turned to me and said "Did you hear that?  It sounded like a cat jumping off the couch...

Edited by Jucifer
  • Upvote 2

I can't recall any specifically scary stories that have happened to me.  My mom and all of us girls are very receptive and believers, my dad, brother, and husband don't believe.    

I grew up, and my parents and youngest sister still live in the LA beach city house that my grandmother bought in 1966, it was built in 1950, so not all that old and no one has died in it for at least 50 years.  We have family ghosts and random spirits that pass through, some kind, some meh, and some malevolent.  There was one that would walk in cowboy boots up and down the wood floor hallway, another that would rock in a creaking chair and rattle ice cubes in a glass. Those have been going on since the 60's/70's when my mom was a teenager.  I and my sisters have seen heads look around door frames into bedrooms. We occasionally smell cigarette smoke suddenly and intensely, and my mom will get a lung-full of smoke sometimes - she hasn't smoked in nearly thirty years and no one else in the house does.  Things will go missing and reappear in an odd location weeks or sometimes years later.  Once a piece of jewelry appeared in my sister's apartment in Phoenix that belonged to our grandmother, my sister called our mom and sure enough it was missing from her jewelry box. 

When I was about 2 my parents and older sisters were in the living room while I was in the bedroom down the hall, Mom says they all heard me babbling and laughing like I was carrying on a conversation.  My mom came to check on me and saw a ball that I had pushed away stop before hitting anything and roll back to me.  She asked who I was talking to/playing with and I said the lady in the white dress.  We all think it was my grandmother who died a little more than a year before I was born. 

I wish my BIL would visit and tell my husband how he really died - one does not commit suicide by jumping off a third floor balcony no matter what NCIS says.  They're both logical non-believers though, so BIL won't visit and husband wouldn't believe it if he did.   

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, mallallory said:

I wish my BIL would visit and tell my husband how he really died - one does not commit suicide by jumping off a third floor balcony no matter what NCIS says.  They're both logical non-believers though, so BIL won't visit and husband wouldn't believe it if he did.   

I'm really Sorry that this happened to you, but you would be surprised to see how people are killing themselves this days. My best friend is working as a forensic assistant, and this would be one of the most normal suicides he has seen in the few months he has been working

• 4 months later...

When I worked in malls, it was not uncommon for people to jump to their deaths from either an upper floor over the rail or from a parking garage.

Most of them took off their shoes, and I have never understood that.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if you'd call this a ghost story, but back in college my one roommate had a Ouija board. On nights that we were bored from studying, we'd pull it out and talk to the board (we gave it a nickname and it was a he) in the dark. I never really believed in anything and always thought someone was controlling the planchette. We never called forth any spirits, but if we asked a question we'd get an honest answer. It was usually something that none of us knew beforehand.

One night, it told us to go to a bar that was our favorite and that these certain guys we thought were cute and kind of knew would be there. We had no plans to go out, but the board was insistent on it telling us "go now" and kept telling us goodbye. So we got ready and went to the bar and sure as shit those guys were there. We were shocked because this bar wasn't one where we'd normally see them anyway. It ended up being a fun night of drinking and dancing with them.

The Ouija board was never mean and we were never scared during the use of it either.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, HeathenBlondie said:

Not sure if you'd call this a ghost story, but back in college my one roommate had a Ouija board. On nights that we were bored from studying, we'd pull it out and talk to the board (we gave it a nickname and it was a he) in the dark. I never really believed in anything and always thought someone was controlling the planchette. We never called forth any spirits, but if we asked a question we'd get an honest answer. It was usually something that none of us knew beforehand.

One night, it told us to go to a bar that was our favorite and that these certain guys we thought were cute and kind of knew would be there. We had no plans to go out, but the board was insistent on it telling us "go now" and kept telling us goodbye. So we got ready and went to the bar and sure as shit those guys were there. We were shocked because this bar wasn't one where we'd normally see them anyway. It ended up being a fun night of drinking and dancing with them.

The Ouija board was never mean and we were never scared during the use of it either.

That's actually a pleasant surprise; the Ouija board usually has a bad reputation & can bring forth some really nasty shit. Hmm, now you've got me wondering. I have a mini Ouija board keychain & have never used it.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, LadyCrow1313 said:

That's actually a pleasant surprise; the Ouija board usually has a bad reputation & can bring forth some really nasty shit. Hmm, now you've got me wondering. I have a mini Ouija board keychain & have never used it.

I'd always heard that the board could be nasty, but maybe the one my roommate had was a nice spirit. Now, this was back in 2002ish and I'm not sure I'd ever use it again. At least then we never had any scary shit happen and never asked anyone to come forward either.

• Upvote 1

The back side of the 1970's Ouija board made the best chalkboard.  Perfect surface.  That is all.

• Upvote 1

In reply to question , do I ever talk to my spirit & tell it to "be nice."

Yes, I do. He doesn't seem malevolent at all, just Mischievous. Sometimes when I'm getting ready for bed I'll say, No door-slamming tonight." b/c that scares the be-jeezus out of me. B/c my husband is a skeptic & thinks I'm just nuts, I tell him to go spook my hubby. And he did a cpl times, I think I talked about it a page or 2 back how I was sick in bed & he came running in asking me what  I needed. I said i didn't call you. He said "I heard it plain as day; you called me-twice."

When I remind him of that, he denies it happened. Men.

Edited by ksgranola1

• 4 months later...

Wait, what?! No new ghost stories in ... months?!

The objects on the dresser in the spare bedroom have been re-arranged several times over the winter.  I just assumed Marbles jumping off the bed caused enough vibration that they moved....

Who knows....

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, MarblesMom said:

The objects on the dresser in the spare bedroom have been re-arranged several times over the winter.  I just assumed Marbles jumping off the bed caused enough vibration that they moved....

Who knows....

I have a couple:

I used to work LTC and a resident who wasn't real happy about dying didn't exactly leave!  One night, while waiting for my relief to come in, I was sitting in the common area (so I could keep an eye on the door outside to see when my relief rolled in)  Out of the corner of my eye, I saw someone walking down the hall towards Jane (not her real name, she had a very uncommon name) old room.  I asked one of the CNA's who was out of bed, and she told me no one.  I got up and started to walk down the hall that the figure had walked down.  I stopped at Jane's room and peeked in and saw Jane sitting on her bed, watching her roommate sleep.  She faded.  I decided to go over to the other unit and while walking there, I walked through a spot that was freezing (middle of summer, air conditioner is barely adequate).  By the time I got to the other unit, I was apparently white as a sheet.  I told the nurses on the other unit "I just had a close encounter of the Jane kind"

At the hospital I worked at (until nov), I worked on a palliative care unit.  (It was also Onc). We had a patient who was dying from mets and one morning while I was on my way out, I glanced into her room and saw what I still believe was the grim reaper.  The pt died about 2 hours later.  

And we have a ghost cat in our house.  Little bugger likes to mess around.  

This I can't say if it was a ghost or if it was just because I was on the unit and on ativan, but I was in hospital and I kept seeing a woman drift in and out of my room.  I still think it was Sr. Bernadine, but like I said I was on ativan. :)

• Upvote 2

Oh, I have a ghost story.

The setting is a 200 year old house, where things often go bump. Usually for perfectly explicable reasons that call for DIY. But for the life of me, I couldn't figure out, where that dull knocking sound came from. It sounded like footsteps in the attic. Repeated checks told me that no one was in the attic. And Mr samurai_sarah stubbornly told me that he couldn't hear a thing!

A ghost was the only explanation left. Or so I thought.

Until I figured out that I only heard the sounds, whenever Mr ss was tapping his foot in precisely one spot in the living room. He didn't notice that he was doing it. Every time I asked him "do you hear that", he stopped to listen, and obviously didn't hear anything. My "ghost" turned out to be a restless leg and the weird acoustics of an old house. :)

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 2

I think and this sounds a bit nuts, but I think I have a ghost cat. I have woken up several times to a cat jumping on the bed, but it's neither of my cats. They're always sleeping soundly but it feels, like a cat. 

• Upvote 3

On 4/23/2017 at 7:43 PM, Carm_88 said:

I think and this sounds a bit nuts, but I think I have a ghost cat. I have woken up several times to a cat jumping on the bed, but it's neither of my cats. They're always sleeping soundly but it feels, like a cat. 

Might have been a previous cat. I had two cats who died shortly after one another. For years, until I moved out of that house and sold that bed, I would feel them jumping up onto my bed at night, just the same way they did in life. I could even tell who was who by the way they jumped.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

• 1 year later...
On 6/29/2016 at 11:37 PM, MarblesMom said:

Someone was walking around upstairs the other day... creaky wooden floors.

I am not scared anymore, it is just weird.  

On 4/21/2017 at 10:45 PM, MarblesMom said:

Who knows....

The lamp in the master bedroom keeps coming on.  I haven't been upstairs in over a year.  Finally, I asked my helper to just unplug it.  It was freaking her out, too, as she knew she turned it off several times.

And.... this.  A sealed frame that has been hanging in the same spot since 2010.  Marbles was barking and looking up the stairs.... frame was closed.

An hour or so later, I walked by and saw this:

frame.jpg

• Upvote 2

Before this pic, and before the frame opened, she came down the stairs and stared upstairs, totally alerting.  I was like, "what is your puppy problem?" and saw nothing to get worried about.

Not afraid.  Just letting me know something was going on.

And yes, she is a pretty girl  :)  Thank you.

• Upvote 6

It's been a while since anything has happened in our house. I thought maybe it had stopped for good. But about 3AM, I heard my hubby get up to the bathroom down the hall. Then I heard this: BAM! BAM! BAM! on the bathroom door in my room. I didn't freeze this time. I got up & turned on the light. It came from the 2 top panels on the door, very load. I was not about to open that door. Hubby came in to see why i was up. "You didn't hear that?" I said. He didn't. He opened the bathroom door & nothing.

• Upvote 2

When I was a teen my cousin was staying with us for a week.  We are close in age so we naturally spent a lot of time together and routinely stayed over at each other's homes.  

So one night everyone was gone and we were in the house alone.  There wasn't anything to watch on TV so we decided to play with my brothers ouija board.  To get more atmosphere, we turned out all the lights except the one in the kitchen.  My cousin was afraid of the dark, so she wouldn't let me close the door, but there wasn't too much light coming in.  Then we sat in the middle of my brothers floor and lit one of my sisters pillar candles.  It was a spooky as it was going to get.

My cousin insisted that we not ask any questions about people we knew, lest we bring evil down on them.  Then she expanded that prohibition to pets, celebrities, heads of countries, religious people, and the Bay City Rollers.  She didn't want any unexplained deaths on her head.  Finally I began.  "I call upon the spirit world to hear our call.  We would like to talk to you.  Is anyone out there?"  My cousin could barely keep her fingers on the planchette, so it fell to me to guide it to spell out Y-E-S.  "Don't ask it it's name!  Don't give it too much power!"  Well, there went my next question.  "Do you have something to tell us?"  Y-E-S.  "Don't let it talk to you!  It's evil!"  

"Oh, forget it.  If you're not going to play along we'll find something else to do.  This is stupid."

Suddenly the door slammed shut and at the same time the lights went out in the kitchen and the candle went out.  We screamed, of course.

My cousin was freaking out and I tried to calm her down.  "Don't worry.  My brother probably came home and is trying to scare us."  "I was facing the door!  I saw it moving and there was no one there.  And what about the candle?"  "The draft from the slamming door blew it out."  "What about the lights?"  "He obviously turned off the power, or we're having a power outage.  We get them out here sometimes."  "He can't be blowing out candles, slamming doors, and cutting the power all at once!"  "Look, let's go to the window and look at the neighbors house.  You'll see, we're all sitting in the dark"  But when we went to the window, the the neighbor had power.  By now we were holding on to each other for dear life.

"You made it mad!  What's going to happen to us?  I want to call my mom!"  But we couldn't bring ourselves to approach the door to open it, and I think we both suspected that the phone wouldn't work if we made it to the kitchen to make a call.

"Look, the dogs aren't barking.  Dogs bark if evil things are around."  "How do you know that?  I never heard that, and they're outside and we're inside.  We're alone in a house in the country and something is in here with us!"  "Well, let's light the candle and put up the board.  That should send whatever it is away.  Where's the lighter?"  Prying my cousins fingers off my arm, I gave the ouija board a wide berth and found the candle.  Of course I couldn't find the lighter  although we both remembered setting it on the floor next to the candle.  My cousin couldn't bring herself to approach the ouija board, so she crouched by the window and prayed while I felt around for the box, folded up the board, and put the planchette in on top of it.  I tried to recite the Lord's Prayer while I did this.  "The Lord is my shepherd.  Uh, though I walk through the valley of death I will fear no evil.  And see no evil and no evil will touch us.  Uh, give us this day our daily bread. -- Done!"  

As soon as I put the lid on the box a bunch of stuff happened.  The phone in the kitchen gave one startled ring, the radio that Mom kept on all day sprang back to life as Debbie Boone sang "You Light Up My Life", and we could see light coming in from under the door.  I kicked the box back under the bed and approached the door.  I flicked on the light, took a deep breath, and opened the door.  There was nothing there.  

My cousin won't go near a ouija board to this day.

• Upvote 2

my main stories are back on page one...but this one was more recent...

I was home alone for a bit one night...laying in bed, door open, tv on, cat next to me even though he's not supposed to be in my room, playing games in the iPad. Suddenly, the cat gets up, goes to the doorway, stops and makes a weird meow...I hear a pretty loud "thud" and the cat starts freaking out, I don't think I've heard him make that noise before... I go to look and my bathroom rug is in the middle of the hallway...the cat runs past, kinda yowling as he flies down the steps. the other cat couldn't have moved the rug, its got a rubber backing, plus there's a lip in between the bathroom and the hall. i have a theory...i have heard knocking on my bedroom door in the middle of the night for a few years, about once a month or so...but we've been sleeping with the door shut, the ac on and a fan running on high, nothing has woken me up...so...'someone' found another way to get my attention...

• Upvote 2