IGNORED

Maxwells hang out with the elderly

SPHASH

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't they all go down with colds on a conference tour once, and just carried on regardless?  Was that the one we discussed recently, where they described Anna as being "down and out" on her birthday?  I wonder if the Maxwells refrain from touching children at conferences if one of them is at all unwell?

My mom was the head nurse at a nursing home for years, and when I was in high school I would go over there a few times a year to put up seasonal decorations....there was this one cantankerous old man who would always push himself out on his walker to "oversee" me putting up the decorations, and make remarks such as "Mmm, mmm, mmm. I love to see a tall, good looking girl in here! Nothing but short old women everyday." He was clearly kind of a gross old man, but I found it hilarious. (Obviously, cat-calling is not funny, this is the only instance of being cat-called in my entire life that I found amusing because getting heckled by a 90 year old man in a nursing home was just so ridiculous)  Every time the Maxwells post about their visits to the "elderly" I think of that old man, and imagine how one of the Maxwell girls would respond to an old man like that.

Brings back memories of when I was a nurse at a local nursing home.  Whenever a new aide was assigned to one particular elderly gent, the aide would invariably come running red-faced out of said fellow's room.  That's when I would remember that I forgot to warn the new aide of the man's penchant for asking if the aide had ever seen a willy as big as his before.  I'd coach new aides to say, "Of course I have--you're on the small side."

I would pay money to see that happen with a Maxwell lass, even Terrified.

Off topic, but the Maxwells updated their "About" section with new pictures and bios.  Most notably, Sarah is once again described as wanting to be a wife and mother, but waiting for the right guy!  That part was removed a few years ago.  I guess the Maxwells have not given up on her marrying.  

I saw that. They've also now changed the bios to "The Nathan Maxwell Family" and the "Christopher Maxwell Family" etc, same photos there. Mary is apparently a "creative". "Creative" is not a noun. Why can't they just say "Mary is a creative girl?" 

Sarah doesn't have much of a chance of having that many kids now. Is it really because she's been waiting for the right guy? Methinks it's more to do with how isolated they are and Steve's control. We love to say how "old" Jana Duggar is in fundie terms, yet she is much younger than Sarah, by about 8 or 9 years IIRC. Jana could easily get married in a year and have 10+ kids. That's unlikely to happen to Sarah. If Sarah has been waiting for the right guy, God sounds like a right asshole for not providing one. She's been waiting for ages. If it is Steve's fault, well, we all know what he's like. It sucks to be a girl in Maxhell.

Do they (the senior citizens) shut their hearing aids off, when the Maxwell's come around?

I wonder how much Sarah really wants to leave. Of course, in theory, falling in love, getting married and having her own family probably sounds good to her. However, If she did meet someone, and it came time to get married and move out of Maxhell (and down the street :pb_lol:), I imagine she might be terrified. She's 33 years old and has been living with her parents since birth, with very little (if any) experience being away from her family. Also, if I recall correctly, didn't her and her sisters have complete meltdowns when their brothers got married? 

I'm starting to get very sleepy, so I'll cut this short, but you get the idea... :zzz:

I think she fully expected to be married in her early 20s from reading the history, but I agree that at this stage it could be a traumatic event for her. 

I surmise that Sarah has propped up Steve and Teri's marriage singlehandedly since she was a teen. Teri had admitted to treating her badly when Teri spent long periods cying in bex and Sarah ran the house for her. Now Sarah is Steve's helpmeet at conferences, organising the others. Steve and Teri don't seem to like each other, the best solution they have arrived at is to spend their time together judging others (eg on their morning walks, as per this months Dad's article).   If Sarah left home there would be a big hole in their marriage.

If Sarah were to just move down the street after marriage, I think she'd be fine. She'd make a schedule and stick to it. She could still hang out with her family very often.

If she would move across the country (or to Africa!) it'd be much more difficult. Would she know how to navigate a new city by herself? If she didn't have a bunch of in-laws as automatic friends, who would she hang out with? Would she be ok with spending the whole day by herself while hubby is at work?

That's the thing, they would need to find a man who meets all Steve's criteria and is willing to join the local cult.

That's the thing, they would need to find a man who meets all Steve's criteria and is willing to join the local cult.

Agree w/ this. He is going to have to find 3 of them. 

And now that Sarah is in her thirties, it is unlikely that it will be a young man of 18 or 19 whom Steve can still mold and control, like we've seen in other fundie marriages.  We've seen it several times: a "patriarch" marrying his twenty-something daughter to a boy barely finished with puberty.  A man old enough to marry Sarah, presumably in his thirties or forties, would likely not be willing to bow to Steve's every whim, unless he's truly desperate, which is a whole other topic.  

And now that Sarah is in her thirties, it is unlikely that it will be a young man of 18 or 19 whom Steve can still mold and control, like we've seen in other fundie marriages.  We've seen it several times: a "patriarch" marrying his twenty-something daughter to a boy barely finished with puberty.  A man old enough to marry Sarah, presumably in his thirties or forties, would likely not be willing to bow to Steve's every whim, unless he's truly desperate, which is a whole other topic.  

Agree!!  

Sarah's new "bio" reads like a super-Christian personal ad and reeks of desperation. It's quite pathetic, actually. 

Sarah's new "bio" reads like a super-Christian personal ad and reeks of desperation. It's quite pathetic, actually.

Agree!!! It might be the only way. 

Looks like the T2 bio blurbs aren't the only updates in Maxwell land. Daddy dearest has inserted himself into Joe and Jesse's Swift Otter venture and brought Chris along for the ride.

Looks like the T2 bio blurbs aren't the only updates in Maxwell land. Daddy dearest has inserted himself into Joe and Jesse's Swift Otter venture and brought Chris along for the ride.

With the black shirts, the staring eyes, and Jesse's fists, they look like a bunch of wannabe heavies: the Kansas City Mafia, at your service! :D

I wonder if this means that Nathan deliberately left the family business when the 1 ton ramp was dismantled?  Nathan was the original IT professional, who worked with Steve for a while, before Steve was let go from his real job.

I love that they have matching embroidered company shirts, that is hilarious! 

With the black shirts, the stances, and Jesse's fists, they look like a bunch of wannabe heavies: the Kansas City Mafia, at your service! :D

:pb_lol: My question is, how long before that picture is replaced with one where Steve is standing in front.

OMG, another white background!  It washes them all out, and makes Steve look at least 10 years older than he actually is.

OMG, another white background!  It washes them all out, and makes Steve look at least 10 years older than he actually is.

ETA: For those FJers in the know, are their rates in line with similar companies?  Just curious.

ETA#2:  How the heck did I quote myself?  Oh well.

ETA: For those FJers in the know, are their rates in line with similar companies?  Just curious.

ETA#2:  How the heck did I quote myself?  Oh well.

Definitely less expensive than our web development company, but they are based out of Manhattan so that may figure in.

I love the overexplaining about All The Things.... the blurb about having to wildly overcharge for set-pricing made me chuckle.  It is very clear that this family are writers, not readers.

There are more than a few typos and formatting errors but I don't think it would be right for a woman to correct a man, so I suggest we all just pray for Steve to hear from the Lord about them, rather than pointing them out to him for free. ;)

This is fantastic.  On one of the portfolio project websites they have included a page to over-explain the transition, and to include all the old links, just so customers don't have to become used to the benefits of the new site. :huh:

http://pleasanthillgrain.com/website-transition

Oh brother. Where do you start? The horribly washed out photo (which makes them look like a team of plumbers or something)? The insane embroidered shirts? The fact that Joseph links to his StackOverflow profile (which would mean nothing to a client)? At least they actually have a legitimate client in Pleasant Hill Grain (I've bought from them but have to look at the redone site).

My daughter is a web developer here in NYC and the company she works for has some big name clients. I showed her the original SwiftOtter site and she couldn't stop rolling her eyes. Can't wait to see what she thinks of what they've done this time, but I know she'll be mega-jealous of their company branded attire. 

ETA: If you need to explain to visitors how to navigate a site after a revamp, you haven't done your job.

ETA2: I can't get over how much Jesse reminds me of Leonard from Big Bang Theory.

ETA3: I see all the Jesus-y stuff is gone. Clearly, the lord put it on their hearts that it might be a good business move.

sparkles, I noticed the "saved by the blood of Jesus" stuff gone too.  I would imagine that would put a good many potential clients off.  It would put me off, that's for sure.

Also, I found it interesting that in his portfolio, Joseph makes it sound like he was hired by Titus2 to redo their web site.  No mention of it being his family's business, and no mention that it was he and his "team" who developed the original site.  It almost reads like he came in and saved the day.

ETA:  Will the cool Swift Otter shirts end up in the same Goodwill bag as the Maxwell and Sons Construction shirts?  Stay tuned.

sparkles, I noticed the "saved by the blood of Jesus" stuff gone too.  I would imagine that would put a good many potential clients off.  It would put me off, that's for sure.

Also, I found it interesting that in his portfolio, Joseph makes it sound like he was hired by Titus2 to redo their web site.  No mention of it being his family's business, and no mention that it was he and his "team" who developed the original site.  It almost reads like he came in and saved the day.

ETA:  Will the cool Swift Otter shirts end up in the same Goodwill bag as the Maxwell and Sons Construction shirts?  Stay tuned.

It wouldn't take more than a minute or two looking around the site to realize, though, that it's his family's business. He's featured in two places on the main page (the link to their blog and on the cover of one of their books), and he's in the about section. 

Titus2 should not be listed at all in his portfolio, in my opinion. Maybe if he were just starting out, but he's been doing web design for some time now. 

I've seen various shenangians of the Maxwell but don't know their philosophy or family history that well but has anyone ever asked on their website Why Sarah still lives at home when she is 35 (is she?)and able bodied? Has he given a response? Has anyone asked why he hasn't found her a man? Doesn't he want his family to grow?

Didn't the construction business website incude the Maxwell family home in its portfolio?! :)

It is interesting that Joseph is the golden child leading the business. I wonder if Christopher and Nathan resent being superceded by a reversal boy in the family business.

I will laugh hard if this business fails too, and the manly men all have to work for rebel John's irrigation company. :D

Archived