IGNORED

Stuffing Recipes - PLEASE tell me someone has heard of this one

HerNameIsBuffy

I know there are almost as many stuffing recipes as there are families celebrating the holiday - so what are yours?  

Confession - I LOVE stuffing. And while I will always stick with my tradition for holidays I am on the prowl for other stuffing recipes from FJites to add to my weekend dinner repertoire.

I make two for the holidays - one we just call regular stuffing to differentiate from our holy grail of German Dressing.  In our family those words are uttered with reverence.  Here's the thing - we've eaten this every holiday in memory for all living family members. It was my grandmother's recipe from her childhood in Germany -  hence the oh so clever name of "German" dressing.  I have never seen this as a stuffing recipe anywhere else.   Not online, not in cookbooks, and newcomers to our family are always baffled and think it's weird until thy try it and learn to like it - but never as much as we do.  So if anyone has ever heard of something similar it will make me so happy because I am beginning to get the feeling my Gramma just threw a bunch of stuff together and called it a family recipe.

German Dressing

• A couple containers of chicken livers pureed until almost liquid, then sauteed in butter until cooked through
  • 10-12 eggs beaten
  • Dump cooled, cooked livers into eggs and stir. Liberally sprinkle nutmeg, salt, and pepper over the top (heavier on the nutmeg)
  • Add enough plain breadcrumbs until you have the consistency where you can form it with your hands.  
  • Shove it inside the turkey and the rest in a loaf pan.  the loaf pan is extra and gets splashed with chicken broth before baking.  Also fabulous as dumplings when rolled into balls and boiled in chicken broth.

Regular dressing

• Loaf of white bread cut into cubes about 3/4 inch (works best if slightly stale - can let bread sit out all night
  • Diced celery
  • Diced white onion
  • couple of tubes of mild breakfast sausage cooked and broken up
  • salt, pepper, lots of poultry seasoning

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm ashamed to admit this, but after years of trying various home made stuffing recipes, we decided we really loved the taste of "Stove Top" brand stuffing. It's quick, easy, and always comes out delicious. So when you see me in the grocery store loading my cart with Stove Top stuffing, sure I'll smile demurely and murmur something about the local food pantry, but I'll really be buying it for my family.

Your a woman after my own heart, Buffy.  I adore stuffing, and only get it once a year on Thanksgiving.  This is the recipe my dad developed that I now make for the family Thanksgiving.

-cubed Wonder Bread, leave out to get stale for 2 days.

-onion

-celery

-lots of thyme and sage 

-chopped mushrooms

-chopped roasted chesnuts

-chopped Granny Smith apples

-crumbled mild Italian sausage

-chicken sock, eggs

Sautee onions, celery, and herbs in very large skillet until onions start to carmelize,  as in they begin to take on golden hue around the edges.

Add sausage a cook till brown. Add mushrooms, apples, and chesnuts and cook till mushrooms are cooked through.  Add bread cubes and mix thouroughly with ingredients in skillet.  Add chicken stock until stuffing is consistency you like.  Turn off heat, mix ion 2 beaten eggs.  Transfer to oven pan and bake  at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes, or until top is dried.

Your a woman after my own heart, Buffy.  I adore stuffing, and only get it once a year on Thanksgiving.  This is the recipe my dad developed that I now make for the family Thanksgiving.

-cubed Wonder Bread, leave out to get stale for 2 days.

-onion

-celery

-lots of thyme and sage 

-chopped mushrooms

-chopped roasted chesnuts

-chopped Granny Smith apples

-crumbled mild Italian sausage

-chicken sock, eggs

Sautee onions, celery, and herbs in very large skillet until onions start to carmelize,  as in they begin to take on golden hue around the edges.

Add sausage a cook till brown. Add mushrooms, apples, and chesnuts and cook till mushrooms are cooked through.  Add bread cubes and mix thouroughly with ingredients in skillet.  Add chicken stock until stuffing is consistency you like.  Turn off heat, mix ion 2 beaten eggs.  Transfer to oven pan and bake  at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes, or until top is dried.

and this is being made tonight!  (Similar enough to mine to not be scary - different enough to be fun and i really want to try it with the apples and sauteing)  if i can figure out what a roasted chestnut is - i've only heard them in the song.  :)  What does the egg do?  Do you see bits of egg or is it like binder in meatloaf?  

The egg itself but especially the whites binds the stuffing.

What does 'container of chicken liver' mean? Is it something OkToBeTakei would use as an avatar?

Like Pretzel said, the egg is a binder.  You can now buy vacuum sealed roasted chestnuts in most supermarkets by me.  If you decide to buy the fresh chestnuts available in the produce section this time of year, you can prepare them by scoring each chestnut with a knife by making a small "x" through the brown shell. Once they are scored, put them on a roasting tray or cookie sheet and put in a 400 degree oven.  Check after 30 minutes.  Cool a chestnut, peel it, and make sure inside is cooked and tasty.  If not, keep checking at another 15 minutes.

Vacuum packed pre roasted saves time.

The egg itself but especially the whites binds the stuffing.

What does 'container of chicken liver' mean? Is it something OkToBeTakei would use as an avatar?

Ha!  Lets not give out gross avatar ideas! (although I miss her posts.)  when the headship comes home from shopping i'll see the size as he's picking some up for my homemade dog snacks I'm baking today...but they are like the size of medium containers of cottage cheese but filled with chicken livers.

I hate liver, but love this dressing.  My daughter who is a giant weirdo has always loved them plain so i need to make more so she can have a bowl of them once cooked...otherwise she will steal from those intended for the dressing.   She's a beast when it comes to her chicken livers.

Just hiding it because some people will find his particular ingredient gross.

b7874e0a4d05d4a404f0d03819cc146f.thumb.j

great faux "chicken liver" pate you can make from hard boiled eggs, steamed green beans, and caramelized onion.   A few times round in the food processor and no one would know that no animal gave its life.  If anyone wants an exact recipe, let me know.

great faux "chicken liver" pate you can make from hard boiled eggs, steamed green beans, and caramelized onion.   A few times round in the food processor and no one would know that no animal gave its life.  If anyone wants an exact recipe, let me know.

Yes, please. 

Like Pretzel said, the egg is a binder.  You can now buy vacuum sealed roasted chestnuts in most supermarkets by me.  If you decide to buy the fresh chestnuts available in the produce section this time of year, you can prepare them by scoring each chestnut with a knife by making a small "x" through the brown shell. Once they are scored, put them on a roasting tray or cookie sheet and put in a 400 degree oven.  Check after 30 minutes.  Cool a chestnut, peel it, and make sure inside is cooked and tasty.  If not, keep checking at another 15 minutes.

Vacuum packed pre roasted saves time.

Also, when they are cooked put them into a folded tablecloth or a  blanket so they are kept warm for 10-15 minutes.  They will "sweat" and will be easier to peel. The best way to cook them though is on a fire inside a perforated pan.

My mother's stuffing which also goes great inside empanadas:

• 1 part ground beef (I prefer round)
  • 1 part ground pork (I buy lean and have the butcher grind it for me)
  • 1 part ground cooking ham (I always grind it in the blender)
  • Chopped onion (about one medium onion for each pound or pound and a half depending on taste
  • minced garlic (about 1/2 tsp per pound or to taste)
  • 1/2 tsp oregano, 1/2 tsp cumin 1 tsp salt per pound or more depending on taste.
  • raisins (about 1/2 cup for every pound)
  • chopped walnuts (about 1/2 cup for every pound)
  • olives (6 per pound or so)
  • a splash or two of sweet vermouth (or plain sweet sherry)
  • a bit of olive oil for the skillet

Brown the meat on a skillet with a dab of olive oil. I begin with the pork, and stir in the beef as the pork browns.  When it is brown, add the oregano, cumin, onions, garlic and salt. Cook a little until the onions begin to soften and add the bay leaf and the ham. Stir around until the ham is mixed in with the meat and onion.  Taste and add salt or spices if needed.  Add and stir in the raisins, olives  and walnuts.  When well mixed, remove from heat and add the vermouth.

This can be made ahead of time. It is great in the turkey (better than the turkey imho) but also as dressing on the side.  And any leftovers can be made into little empanadas (savory turnovers) with store bought empanadas circles or refrigerator biscuit dough rolled out flat or homemade dough.   

This was a Cuban variation of a Spanish recipe, I believe.

I saw a recipe on facebook yesterday for one you make in the crockpot and now cant find it.  I was seriously thinking about dropping stove top this year, but I love it so much!

I could eat stuffing alone all year long.

I love stuffing and yes, I stuff my bird every year and my mother stuffed her bird every year. 50+ years later...no has gotten sick from stuffing the bird.

That said, here is the very simple recipe:

2 loaves of the cheapest bread (98 cents at my store) I usually buy one white, one wheat. Left out to dry and torn into cube size chunks (very rustic)

celery, onions and mushrooms, chopped and sauteed in lots of butter, but not letting anything brown

salt, pepper, poultry seasoning to taste

chicken broth or stock (or turkey if you have it)

We usually tear the bread into chunks and leave them out in a large roasting pan. After cooking and cooling the veg, mix in to the bread. Season to taste and then start "wetting" the bread until it starts to come together. When it gets to the consistency where you can bring it together without falling apart, but not so wet it's sticky, stuff that bird. We also stuff the neck cavity as well.

Any leftover goes in a baking dish and gets heated separately.

Is it time for stuffing yet?????

P.S. - Left over stuffing is delicious sliced and fried in butter. You're  welcome arteries!

This one's for you, Cartmann99.

Faux Liver Pate

1 pound  green beans
2 Tablespoons olive oil
2 medium onions, sliced
5 hard-boiled eggs
1 cup walnuts, toasted
salt and pepper- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, 1/2 teaspoon salt

Cook the green beans in boiling water for 10 minutes.  Taste to ensure they are done, then drain in colander and rinse in cold water to stop cooking process.  Heat olive oil in pan and sauté onions until they are caramelized (brown, not black, so the onions taste sweet, not burned.  You can add more oil if your pan gets too dry.  Takes about 10 minutes, maybe a little more.). Shut off heat.    Spread walnut pieces on cookie sheet and toast in a 350 degree oven.  Check after 10 minutes.  Check every 3 minutes after until walnuts toast.  Transfer immediately to a cool plate or sheet so nuts don't burn.  

Cut it green beans into smaller pieces.  Combine green beans, hard boiled eggs, salt, pepper, and caramelized onions in a food processor and process until you have the consistency of a pate.  Add more salt and pepper after you have tasted it to adjust seasoning if necessary.   Serve with crackers, pita, or sliced French bread.

This one's for you, Cartmann99.

Faux Liver Pate

1 pound  green beans
2 Tablespoons olive oil
2 medium onions, sliced
5 hard-boiled eggs
1 cup walnuts, toasted
salt and pepper- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, 1/2 teaspoon salt

Cook the green beans in boiling water for 10 minutes.  Taste to ensure they are done, then drain in colander and rinse in cold water to stop cooking process.  Heat olive oil in pan and sauté onions until they are caramelized (brown, not black, so the onions taste sweet, not burned.  You can add more oil if your pan gets too dry.  Takes about 10 minutes, maybe a little more.). Shut off heat.    Spread walnut pieces on cookie sheet and toast in a 350 degree oven.  Check after 10 minutes.  Check every 3 minutes after until walnuts toast.  Transfer immediately to a cool plate or sheet so nuts don't burn.  

Cut it green beans into smaller pieces.  Combine green beans, hard boiled eggs, salt, pepper, and caramelized onions in a food processor and process until you have the consistency of a pate.  Add more salt and pepper after you have tasted it to adjust seasoning if necessary.   Serve with crackers, pita, or sliced French bread.

I'm hungry now - that sounds seriously delicious.

I am 22 and in grad school halfway across the country from my home state so I'll likely be making a whole lot of nothing for Thanksgiving this year. However, my grandmother who was a real unkind person was very fond of her "famous Italian" stuffing recipe. It was horrible. Worst than anything we've ever seen the Duggar et al cook but truly a potential inspiration for other fundie families. Once I saw this thread, I knew that I of course had to share it with you. Allow me to tell y'all a tale.

For this stuffing recipe, you're going to need to go to a bread outlet. Not the grocery store. A bread outlet. Bread on the cheap. You're going to pick up a loaf of Wonder Bread, the classic. Primary colors on the bag, white, Wonder bread.

Once home, you've got to chop that up into squares. Once that is done, do not, I repeat DO NOT toast the bread. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD YOU TOAST THE BREAD. YOU WANT IT IN IT'S MUSHY WONDER BREAD STATE. 

Now you're going to arrange your bread cubes into a casserole dish and you're going to pour upon them a can of your favorite store brand chicken broth. Just pour it on top. Make sure it's all nice and soggy.

Now you're going to find the jar of McCormick Italian Spice Blend that you've had in the spice rack since 1988. For best results, they should be stale and the equivalent of sprinkling green confetti. Sprinkle it on your bread mush! Mix!

Put it in the oven to bake but for the love of God make sure you open the oven every 2 minutes to "see how it's doing" making sure to let all the heat out of the oven.

When it's done, serve it to your family! Brag about how great your Italian cooking is! Ignore the fact that you're actually Czech not Italian at all! For a true Antimony's Family Thanksgiving experience, make sure you kidnap your daughter-in-law's one year old baby so that she can't leave your home! Ta-Da!

Only cornbread stuffing for me. My mom taught me to add in some packaged Pepperidge Farm stuffing mix to the homemade mixture. Sauteed onions, green peppers, and celery is the scent of the holidays. I want to add chorizo for my daughter, has anybody ever used chorizo in stuffing?

I'm ashamed to admit this, but after years of trying various home made stuffing recipes, we decided we really loved the taste of "Stove Top" brand stuffing. It's quick, easy, and always comes out delicious. So when you see me in the grocery store loading my cart with Stove Top stuffing, sure I'll smile demurely and murmur something about the local food pantry, but I'll really be buying it for my family.

I use StoveTop when its not holiday time, their cornbread version is not bad.

Only cornbread stuffing for me. My mom taught me to add in some packaged Pepperidge Farm stuffing mix to the homemade mixture. Sauteed onions, green peppers, and celery is the scent of the holidays. I want to add chorizo for my daughter, has anybody ever used chorizo in stuffing?

I use StoveTop when its not holiday time, their cornbread version is not bad.

I've never used it in stuffing/dressing, but I found a recipe that looks good.

I don't put any wheat bread in my dressing. It's just cornbread, bacon, pecans, veggies, broth, and herbs. :pb_smile:

I use chicken and sun dried tomato sausages, split the casings and just use the insides. Onion, garlic, stale bread and dried cranberries.  Cook onion and garlic, cool.  Add all ingredients together and stuff inside the bird.  The sausage mixture has fat that bastes the bird from the inside (always cook the bird breast down according to Mum ), the fat helps keep the breast moist.  I sometimes add mixed herbs as well.

I've never used it in stuffing/dressing, but I found a recipe that looks good.

I don't put any wheat bread in my dressing. It's just cornbread, bacon, pecans, veggies, broth, and herbs. :pb_smile:

Thanks, I am definitely making the food network recipe for my daughter, who loves Mexican food and is coming in from AZ for thanksgiving. Your recipe sounds delicious too!

I am 22 and in grad school halfway across the country from my home state so I'll likely be making a whole lot of nothing for Thanksgiving this year. However, my grandmother who was a real unkind person was very fond of her "famous Italian" stuffing recipe. It was horrible. Worst than anything we've ever seen the Duggar et al cook but truly a potential inspiration for other fundie families. Once I saw this thread, I knew that I of course had to share it with you. Allow me to tell y'all a tale.

For this stuffing recipe, you're going to need to go to a bread outlet. Not the grocery store. A bread outlet. Bread on the cheap. You're going to pick up a loaf of Wonder Bread, the classic. Primary colors on the bag, white, Wonder bread.

Once home, you've got to chop that up into squares. Once that is done, do not, I repeat DO NOT toast the bread. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD YOU TOAST THE BREAD. YOU WANT IT IN IT'S MUSHY WONDER BREAD STATE. 

Now you're going to arrange your bread cubes into a casserole dish and you're going to pour upon them a can of your favorite store brand chicken broth. Just pour it on top. Make sure it's all nice and soggy.

Now you're going to find the jar of McCormick Italian Spice Blend that you've had in the spice rack since 1988. For best results, they should be stale and the equivalent of sprinkling green confetti. Sprinkle it on your bread mush! Mix!

Put it in the oven to bake but for the love of God make sure you open the oven every 2 minutes to "see how it's doing" making sure to let all the heat out of the oven.

When it's done, serve it to your family! Brag about how great your Italian cooking is! Ignore the fact that you're actually Czech not Italian at all! For a true Antimony's Family Thanksgiving experience, make sure you kidnap your daughter-in-law's one year old baby so that she can't leave your home! Ta-Da!

That "recipe" is just plain frightening! :pb_eek:

The German liver stuffing is an old dumpling recipe dating back to the 16th Century in the Bohemian region. 

My stuffing is my mom's. 

1. 1 carton chicken livers sauteed with onions. 
  2. 1 carton gizzards cooked in water till done.
  3. Blend livers and gizzards together. Set aside.
  4. Sauteed 4 stalks of celery and 1 sweet onion in butter till soft. If you like it, add some poultry spice to this mixture. Don't use too much or you'll have a sage nightmare. 
  5. Add blended meats and celery/onion mixture to 2 packages Mrs Cubbisons. Mix well. I use gloved hands to make sure it's the right texture. 
  6. 2  boxes of chicken stock to make moist. If it's not moist enough, add more liquid, it will bake out.
  7. Put in baking dish (9 1/2 x 13) and bake at 350º with turkey if you can. We rarely have leftovers.  

The German liver stuffing is an old dumpling recipe dating back to the 16th Century in the Bohemian region. 

My stuffing is my mom's. 

1. 1 carton chicken livers sauteed with onions. 
  2. 1 carton gizzards cooked in water till done.
  3. Blend livers and gizzards together. Set aside.
  4. Sauteed 4 stalks of celery and 1 sweet onion in butter till soft. If you like it, add some poultry spice to this mixture. Don't use too much or you'll have a sage nightmare. 
  5. Add blended meats and celery/onion mixture to 2 packages Mrs Cubbisons. Mix well. I use gloved hands to make sure it's the right texture. 
  6. 2  boxes of chicken stock to make moist. If it's not moist enough, add more liquid, it will bake out.
  7. Put in baking dish (9 1/2 x 13) and bake at 350º with turkey if you can. We rarely have leftovers.  

that's more info than I've had ever - thanks.  Guess I'm glad it made it to my gramma (down rabbit holes with old maps now, I have no sense of direction so figuring out old borders isn't my strong suit - I just love linking history to food.)

Well, I'm in tears laughing.  I just shared your story with my friend, she is rolling lol.  This made my evening, thank you for sharing.  You will be in my thoughts on Thanksgiving!

Another thing to do if you have a little more stuffing than what will fit your dish or bird:

Using mushrooms with big caps, remove the stems and scrap out any gills.  Line baking pan with aluminum foil or parchment paper, lay cleaned caps upside down.  Top each cap with a few teaspoons of your stuffing.  350 degree oven for about 20 minutes or until cap is cooked through.  You now have some nice stuffed mushrooms for your appetizer platter, or yourself. ;)

Save the stems you removed and slice and cook as an omelet filling, next to scrambled eggs, or use in a stir fry. 

Archived