IGNORED

Thanksgiving

keen23

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here you go, Buffy.  I have never dipped the macaroons in chocolate because the person I make them for can't have chocolate.  The  plain macaroons are still divine.  Note that you can substitute an equal amount of corn starch for the potato starch in the recipe.   I've made these 5 times, and they always turn out wonderfully.

http://toriavey.com/toris-kitchen/2013/03/dark-chocolate-dipped-macaroons/

I'll have to check whether coconut = tree nut but these sound delicious.

Ya know, I might eventually venture into desserts with some of these recipes!

I do not like cakes and pies.  Or trifle, suet pudding, and treacle tart.  So sue me!

I do like baklava.  Odd that.

oooo whats the occasion and can I come -- you might need a taste tester :kitty-wink:

Here you go, Buffy.  I have never dipped the macaroons in chocolate because the person I make them for can't have chocolate.  The  plain macaroons are still divine.  Note that you can substitute an equal amount of corn starch for the potato starch in the recipe.   I've made these 5 times, and they always turn out wonderfully.

http://toriavey.com/toris-kitchen/2013/03/dark-chocolate-dipped-macaroons/

Those look really good!

Right now, I am baking some chocolate chip cookies to bring to the Friendsgiving tomorrow.  I'm concerned with the amount of people who are just bringing wine, so I decided to bulk up my contribution haha

oooo whats the occasion and can I come -- you might need a taste tester :kitty-wink:

Those look really good!

Right now, I am baking some chocolate chip cookies to bring to the Friendsgiving tomorrow.  I'm concerned with the amount of people who are just bringing wine, so I decided to bulk up my contribution haha

no occasion, just decided that needing to test for FJ was reason enough.  :)  and you can totally come.

@Palimpsest

Mary Berry from the Great British Bake Off has a lovely recipe for a flourless chocolate cake - she serves it as a roulade, but I have cooked two and sandwiched them with cream and raspberries.  The recipe is very easy, and virtually foolproof.

www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/chocolate_roulade_79152

Honestly? No idea. If I make this, I'll use almond milk.

Cashew milk is sold right by the almond milk. It is delicious and taste way better than almond milk to me. It's incredibly creamy and taste just like cashews. My entire family loves it I def recommend trying some.  

Thanks!  That looks really good.  I think Splenda is OK because it is natural but I'll have to check.  This person swears that all sweeteners other than honey and sugar are toxic to her.  Actually, that wasn't meant to sound sarcastic.  She is obviously not well so I believe how careful she has to be.

Shit.  Stevia is OK.  Not Splenda.

http://www.thefullhelping.com/recipes/desserts/

The recipes found here are mostly raw vegan, and I *think* a lot of them are gluten free too. I have tried several of her recipes and I love them. Edit: Actually, you can search on that page for gluten free desserts and since she's vegan, they're all dairy free. She's a nutritionist so her recipes rarely use preservatives.

Love leftover turkey sandwiches on toast with lots of mayo, turkey, salt, pepper, dressing, cranberry sauce, sometimes curried sweet potatoes.

Turkey noodle soup, made with the broth from the carcass.

Stuffed portabello mushrooms - marinate the mushrooms in olive oil, red wine or balsamic vinegar, worcestershire sauce; bake until tender; top with leftover stuffing (mixed with diced turkey for the omnivores) and a sprinkle of grated cheese; bake another 10-15 minutes. Serve with cranberry sauce.

I make Turkey Manhattans.

Grab some bread of your choice. I prefer sourdough.

Heat up left over mashed potatoes, turkey, and gravy. 

Get two pieces of bread. Put mashed potatoes on the bread. Put turkey on the potatoes. Cover the whole thing with gravy.

Then, sit back and admire your food baby, that you conceived, by carb overload. 

Oh THANK you for this!  I needed the reminder that convection ovens cook differently - I have my first with the new house and need to look up the difference in timing.

Also need to figure out why the bottom oven cooks differently than the top.  Need to run trials and get the formula for how much faster the bottom cooks than the top because I'm burning all kinds of stuff using that one.

Thanks for this post, I recently replaced my electric stove with gas and now have a convection oven. I never even gave it a thought that the turkey would cook differently! Research must be done on this.

This will be our first major holiday in our new home, so just the 4 of us for dinner, then we'll be visiting relatives in the afternoon and evening and sharing hubby's peanut butter pies.

menu: turkey, sausage and apple stuffing, gravy, baked mashed potatoes, sweet potato casserole, cranberry relish, maybe baked corn, mmmm....and lots of leftovers!

My parents decided today to try to find more guests for Thanksgiving. They've obviously left things rather late and most of the people they've asked already have plans (what a surprise!).

I'm not sure what I think about our menu. This year my father decided to do a crown roast instead of a turkey, which is fine. But today he went shopping and avocados were on sale so we're having a beef roast with guacamole. :confused2: I think as long as we have mashed potatoes I won't complain too much.

I make Turkey Manhattans.

Grab some bread of your choice. I prefer sourdough.

Heat up left over mashed potatoes, turkey, and gravy. 

Get two pieces of bread. Put mashed potatoes on the bread. Put turkey on the potatoes. Cover the whole thing with gravy.

Then, sit back and admire your food baby, that you conceived, by carb overload. 

Hi Mom!  I had no idea you could post posthumously on FJ!  

Seriously this made me smile.  I hate gravy so I couldn't get on board with it, but was her favorite post thanksgiving treat ever.

I always think that mashed potatoes can make everything better. :my_biggrin:

And you would be correct.

Mini vent - need to hit the store again because the kids got into my chicken in a biscuit crackers and it's not thanksgiving if I don't fill up on those to the point of not wanting dinner.

T-day is such a food based holiday I'm putting this in the Food Hobby forum.

So - who has people over, who goes elsewhere?

How many people at your holiday table(s)?

If you have people over what do you have them bring, if anything...and if you're not hosting do you bring anything?

There are a lot of compromises in the holiday season...what's your guest list for a perfect Thanksgiving?  Not a living or dead thing, but if you could magic wand it and have all the right people together for one holiday who would it be?  Just your people, friends, giant combined family mash up?

My answers are pathetic and antisocial so I'll post later...but I'm fascinated by the whole family thing other people do for holidays.  Like an outsider observing the customs of another culture...through a window.

I couldn't be happier to go to "friendsgiving Thanksgiving" with my 2 daughters. My BFF's husband is making turkey, stuffing and a veg. Another family of friends will be there. Just 3 families, no drama. I'm bringing garlic mashed potatoes, cranberry walnut pie, and an appetizer.

My 20 year old daughter is super excited that she will not have to explain her 'entire life plan' to any relatives and explain why she has no current boyfriend. I'm happy that I don't have to deal with my control freak mother, who has made alternate plans. My 23 year old daughter is excited because my BFF's husband makes his own beer. Hooray for Friendsgiving! :turkey:

My husband works every Thanksgiving, so I used to make dinner on the following Saturday. Now his employer provides a great turkey feast for everyone, so I have no guilt if I forgo the cooking entirely.

I have joined friends for Thanksgiving dinner in the past, and while I always had a lovely time, I think I prefer making a big pot of whatever I'm in the mood for and then relaxing with good books or movies. 

As for waving a magic wand and having all of the right people together--I would give nearly anything to be small again, watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade while my Mom and Dad were finishing up stuffing the turkey in the kitchen. Holidays back then felt so special; I remember the days would hum with excitement. I loved hearing the car doors slam as friends and relatives arrived for dinner.

Now, the holidays are just something to endure. We were a small family to begin with, and now nearly everyone I was close to has gone. I miss my parents so very much. 

T-day is such a food based holiday I'm putting this in the Food Hobby forum.

So - who has people over, who goes elsewhere?

How many people at your holiday table(s)?

If you have people over what do you have them bring, if anything...and if you're not hosting do you bring anything?

There are a lot of compromises in the holiday season...what's your guest list for a perfect Thanksgiving?  Not a living or dead thing, but if you could magic wand it and have all the right people together for one holiday who would it be?  Just your people, friends, giant combined family mash up?

My answers are pathetic and antisocial so I'll post later...but I'm fascinated by the whole family thing other people do for holidays.  Like an outsider observing the customs of another culture...through a window.

This year, the plan was to go to my parents' house for turkey. My brother and his family are in town. Well..the roads may be icy. We have no back up plan so we'll probably end up having spaghetti at home. Oh well. Last year it was just the three of us at home and it was quite nice (though we actually made a turkey and all the other typical Thanksgiving food.)

When we go to my parents' house...we usually bring something but this year my mom told us not to (which worked out well since we probably won't be there.)

For me, the perfect Thanksgiving is a toss up. I really did enjoy having just the 3 of us last year. But if we were to get together with family, I'd be happy with just us, my parents, my siblings (and their families.) My husband's family is farther away and drama, drama, drama....so no thanks.

Going over to Mom's house & bringing a few things. She's the primary cook of the family (& to be honest, she's also the Alpha headship & generally likes things done her way), & we help get things together. It's going to be a small bunch this year, but we may get a straggler or two. We almost usually have a few non-family folk that show up, & that's never been a problem; the more the merrier. We also check in w/other family/friends via phone, too.

We lost my brother a few years ago, & even though he'd lived across the country from us, it was still ok (as he tended to call 29384723894723897 times a day). Mom especially has a hard time this time o'year (but the rest of us do as well).

I've hosted Thanksgiving for many years since my mom passed away (prior to her passing, she was quite ill so I would "do" Thanksgiving at her house, several hours away) . But I digress.  

@ my house - eleven people this year including DH & me . .  usually a few more.   Son & daughter in law, niece, nephew (technically DH's nephew & wife) and their seven year old twin boys (who were just over here "helping" me get ready - ha!)  Then brother-in-law, sister-in-law (parents to the aforementioned nephew, grandparents to the twins)... + niece's mom who would otherwise be alone for Thanksgiving.     Daughter and son-in-law are in the Pacific NW (we're in Midwest) with new daughter so are not traveling/too expensive/hassle/etc. but I sure wish that baby were here!   

Doing most of the baking &  cooking today and yesterday.      I really enjoy it and love to cook and bake.  Feel so badly for people who either get really anxious doing it, or whose relatives don't appreciate them doing it (mine do!).

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!  

P.S.  If I could make the ideal list, I would add daugher & SIL and baby granddaughter. And my husband's brother & wife from the west coast and their two girls, who we are close to.  (They rarely travel for the holidays).    I don't see or speak to two of my three brothers (awful, awful horrible goings-on when our parents were dying, etc. - don't think the rift will ever be repaired).  Sigh.  But I am happy with who we'll have at the table tomorrow which is a lot more than many folks can say so I am grateful.  

We live about 800 miles away from any family, so typically it's just me and the headship on our own. Our daughter visits her bio Dad on the other coast, so she's generally not here.

We don't usually have guests (we have lots of friends here, but we've not gone to anyone's house or had anyone over when we've stayed here for Thanksgiving), but nonetheless, I usually put on a whole spread of turkey and several side dishes.

This year we are having a delayed Thanksgiving because I've had the flu since Monday so am not feeling like cooking.

If I could magically have whomever I wanted over, it would be my parents, two brothers and their SOs, 3 nieces, and the headships parents and sister.

We usually do the family thing, which I hate. This year, I cancelled everything, and it will just be me, hubby, and the girls. Younger daughter was just discharged from the hospital for anorexia, so a food based holiday is just not happening. We're going to the movies this year. We are focusing on the gratitude side of things and having a normal dinner. My extended family thinks I'm horrible for opting out this year, but I honestly don't give a shit what they think.

The "friendsgiving" thing I'm doing feels so right, even though my daughters are being guilted by their Dad (my ex); and my Mom and stepdad say they've been snubbed and have made plans to go to a cafeteria:naughty:. For the first time in years I feel stress free. :tw_glasses:

Eating with my parents, spouse, siblings and their spouses and their kids. Not sure if any of the  kids will be bringing dates or if anyone is bringing friends.  

Thanksgiving on my mother's side of the family was a huge deal that relatives my age still look back on with fond memories. My mom has carried on the tradition, but sadly her siblings (and thus their children) don't come because they became estranged when my mother and father cared for my grandmother after my grandfather's death. (They were apparently rooting for the nursing home route) 

We usually have a good time.  

Archived