IGNORED

Thanksgiving

keen23

Does anyone have a suggestion to make cranberry orange relish without a food processor ? Mine was a victim of the great kitchen cleanout during remodeling. I don't want  to have to chop those rollie things by hand! Thanks!!

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, DaniLouisiana said:

Does anyone have a suggestion to make cranberry orange relish without a food processor ? Mine was a victim of the great kitchen cleanout during remodeling. I don't want  to have to chop those rollie things by hand! Thanks!!

I don't chop to make jelly, I just...cook without chopping and let them pop.
I think 'my' recipe came off an ocean spray bag

Do this: http://www.oceanspray.com/Recipes/Corporate/Sauces,-Sides-Salads/Homemade-Whole-Berry-Cranberry-Sauce.aspx
zest in some orange, sub some of the water w/ apple juice, season as you like...call it good.

You can also try the tricksy parent-grape-cutting hack  that I don't know if will work, see:

And option 3, if you want a cheap alt. to a food processor, I got one of the pull cord ones a few years ago, and I almost never use it, but I rarely wish for anything more--mine isn't made anymore, but it was close to this: https://www.amazon.com/Brieftons-QuickPull-Food-Chopper-Vegetables/dp/B010VDS8K4/ref=pd_sbs_79_6?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B010VDS8K4&pd_rd_r=B6PQX0Z3RG3BN7DYHQBD&pd_rd_w=WNnws&pd_rd_wg=Yd4Uu&psc=1&refRID=B6PQX0Z3RG3BN7DYHQBD

@dawbs, Thank you!  I'll try the grape trick. Hubs likes the raw cranberry-orange relish my mom made so.. I'll be making it. Its great the next day on turkey sandwiches.

On November 14, 2016 at 9:17 PM, Maggie Mae said:

(i have a maple syrup curried sweet potato recipe with I love)

@Maggie Mae are you willing to share this recipe?  It sounds fabulous!

15 minutes ago, church_of_dog said:

@Maggie Mae are you willing to share this recipe?  It sounds fabulous!

Of course! 

Roast 4 lbs of sweet potatoes. For me, it's 3-4, sometimes 6. Doesn't have to be exact. let them cool somewhat and mash. I used a hand masher but it probably doesn't matter.

Simmer red curry paste with coconut milk. 3/4 of a cup coconut milk and some (2 to 3 teaspoons or to taste.) Simmer for a few minutes, add potato mash and 3 tablespoons of maple syrup, 2 tablespoons butter, and a teaspoon of butter. 

Coat gratin dishes with butter, divide potatoes and put in dishes. (Or just put it in one) Cut up 3 tablespoons of butter. Dot the potatoes with butter and 1/4th cup of syrup. Broil until its brown (3 to 4 minutes). Serve. 

No marshmallows! Still not at all healthy. 

Feel free to look up the actual recipe, I think it's from Martha Stewart, and I probably add more butter, curry paste, and syrup. 

8 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

Of course! 

Roast 4 lbs of sweet potatoes. For me, it's 3-4, sometimes 6. Doesn't have to be exact. let them cool somewhat and mash. I used a hand masher but it probably doesn't matter.

Simmer red curry paste with coconut milk. 3/4 of a cup coconut milk and some (2 to 3 teaspoons or to taste.) Simmer for a few minutes, add potato mash and 3 tablespoons of maple syrup, 2 tablespoons butter, and a teaspoon of butter. 

Coat gratin dishes with butter, divide potatoes and put in dishes. (Or just put it in one) Cut up 3 tablespoons of butter. Dot the potatoes with butter and 1/4th cup of syrup. Broil until its brown (3 to 4 minutes). Serve. 

Thanks!  Gonna try this sometime this winter.  Not TOO unhealthy.  I'm making a few dishes to share with a few friends on Thanksgiving, but I don't know if they like curry, so I'll wait, make something plainer, try this later just for me, mmmmmm....

Gosh, I have not made red Thai curry in years. Now I have a hankering. I am so over making a big ginormous meal. I need to come up with a new tradition.

My extras this year will be a cranberry salsa https://www.google.com/amp/s/allrecipes.com/recipe/141135/cranberry-salsa/amp/?client=safari  which I made last year and enjoyed the change. I also saw a cranberry curd pie I think I will try along with pecan. I will probably skip sweet potatoes too since nobody likes them but me. Garlicky green beans with almonds, I never had green bean casserole and I'm okay with that. Mushroom gravy, mash, I make kiddy cocktails for the kiddos; they like that, it's probably the highlight for them. I'm just not into it this year. I think we will decorate together as a way to occupy my mom. I found two new snow village houses at a thrift store. I'm pretty psyched about that. I have my mom's collection, but I'm too cheap to buy more to add on to it.

I have to tell you FJites about my Thanksgiving eve sojourn in pastry making. I'd cut up the butter and popped in the freezer to chill while I got everything else ready.  I put the flour, salt and sugar into the bowl of my food processor and then couldn't get  the food processor on just right.  The bowl wasn't locked into place and I couldn't fit the lid on either.  (The bowl has to be locked in place before the lid can lock into place.)  I tried and tried to mo avail.  Meanwhile my butter was in the freezer getting harder and harder.  I decided that the only thing to do was to make it by hand.  At first I used a pastry blender, but then I just used my hands to cut the butter into the flour.  I added the ice water and it still didn't come together as well as I wanted.  I think one disc of pastry will be okay, but the second one may be too crumbly. I put the dough into the fridge to deal with tomorrow.   I cleaned up the mess which wasn't as bad as I thought.  

When I got finished with the dishes,  I wiped out the food processor and tried again to assemble it.  That sucker snapped into place with no effort at all!   I just left it assembled over night.  I'll make two more crusts in the morning for the apple pie.

I made a recipe (that I found online) for homemade whole cranberry sauce, & it was ridiculously easy. As I love tart things, I thought it came out great; however, when I brought it to my mother's house as part of my meal contribution, Mom said it could've been a little bit sweeter.

I took the rest home with me, so I look forward to having some with dinner tonight. 

I'm looking for new day-after recipes. Currently in the lead:

• white turkey chili with great northern beans and green chilies
  • savory turkey-and-stuffing strata
  • turkey and stuffing frittata

Usually the rest of the sides don't last long enough to worry about.

I cooked family favorites for a very small group. Kept the menu very small (for Thanksgiving), everything made from scratch except as noted:

• fresh turkey (Alton brown brine then roasted unstuffed, breast-up, on a roasting pan rack at 450F for 30 mins then 325F until thermometer beeps; door kept shut the whole time)
  • gravy from turkey stock and drippings
  • mashed potatoes
  • sweet potatoes with marshmallows (nothing scratch here, the store was out of fresh yams)
  • cranberry sauce (strained, comes out just like canned and i love it)
  • rolls
  • small dish of giblets that were used in the stock, for a family member who loves them
  • "ethnic" side dish as a nod to grandparents and family heritage; also, super tasty
  • stuffing that didn't turn out great bc the bread cubes just never got wet enough to stick together. will remake this to go with the leftovers.
  • pumpkin pie (canned filling this year) with fresh whipped cream

And lots of coffee and wine. Watched some football, watched a bad movie, a good time was had by all.

I'm late for Thanksgiving, but I'm making these for my Christmas party. Very easy side dishes to make anytime, especially the corn.

Green bean casserole 
~4 cans of green beans (or use fresh boiled in chicken broth)
~ 2 medium sized onions (vidalia are my favorite, but whatever you like best)
~ 8oz baby bella mushrooms
~ 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese 
~ Frenches fried onions
~ And the most important ingredient: 2 cans of golden mushroom soup, NOT cream of mushroom

Saute your mushrooms and onions, mix them in a casserole dish with green beans and golden mushroom soup; salt and pepper to taste. Top with cheese then fried onions, and bake till cheese is melted. I hate cream of mushroom and this is a great alternative. 

Fiesta corn
~2 12 oz bags of frozen corn, I like the kind your can steam in the bag
~ 1 large yellow onion
~ 1 large bell pepper (I prefer red)
~ 8 oz cream cheese
~ pack of your favorite bacon

Cook bacon, crumble, and set aside. Reserve enough grease to cook chopped onion and pepper. Cook corn and throw in with onion and pepper, cut chunks of cream cheese to melt. Salt and pepper to taste. Stir till combined. Serve and top with bacon. 

Any suggestions to jazz these up are welcome!

Turkey has now been turned into hubs favorite part of Thanksgiving- turkey noodle soup. But tomorrow he gets red beans and rice. 

My neighbor just brought over turkey chowder.  It's creamy and has potatoes and carrots in it.  This will now be my leftover go to recipe besides quiche.

On 28.11.2016 at 5:40 AM, TacoCat said:

I'm late for Thanksgiving, but I'm making these for my Christmas party. Very easy side dishes to make anytime, especially the corn.

Green bean casserole 
~4 cans of green beans (or use fresh boiled in chicken broth)
~ 2 medium sized onions (vidalia are my favorite, but whatever you like best)
~ 8oz baby bella mushrooms
~ 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese 
~ Frenches fried onions
~ And the most important ingredient: 2 cans of golden mushroom soup, NOT cream of mushroom

Saute your mushrooms and onions, mix them in a casserole dish with green beans and golden mushroom soup; salt and pepper to taste. Top with cheese then fried onions, and bake till cheese is melted. I hate cream of mushroom and this is a great alternative. 

Fiesta corn
~2 12 oz bags of frozen corn, I like the kind your can steam in the bag
~ 1 large yellow onion
~ 1 large bell pepper (I prefer red)
~ 8 oz cream cheese
~ pack of your favorite bacon

Cook bacon, crumble, and set aside. Reserve enough grease to cook chopped onion and pepper. Cook corn and throw in with onion and pepper, cut chunks of cream cheese to melt. Salt and pepper to taste. Stir till combined. Serve and top with bacon. 

Any suggestions to jazz these up are welcome!

This sounds a lot better than the white glop that the Duggars are calling green bean casserole... 

I wonder why there's so many American recipes that use canned soups as an ingredient and where that stems from? Was that the Campbell comany's idea in order to promote their soups and it simply became a staple in American households? 

It sounds so much easier to mix a cup of heavy cream, a cup of broth and a teaspoon of starch with salt, pepper, spices and herbs and call it a day? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/15/2016 at 4:41 AM, Pretzel said:

Thanksgiving is, of course, an American thing but Mr. Pretzel loves typical Thanksgiving food, i.e. chicken, potatoes, sweet potato fries, cranberry sauce etc.

So I rise to the occasion this time of year and usually make chicken involtini/ roll ups with goat cheese (or feta) and spinach filling, rub them with homemade garlic butter, roast 'em quickly in a pan or skillet on high heat, put 'em in the oven and on very low heat (80-100° Celcius) and let them cook until done. I make a side of potato and carrot mash with some garlic, parsley and lemon juice. My sweet potato fries get roasted in the oven with herbs, salt, pepper and olive oil. 

I cook my cranberries in half cranberry juice (pure) and half unfiltered apple juice. I add brown sugar, a cinnamon stick, all spice kernels, ginger, pepper, nutmeg and whole cloves (and I pick all these spices out by hand after cooking) and let it cook until slightly coagulated. Sometimes I use the blender, sometimes I don't. 

I serve it with a cold yogurt-beetroot-cucumber-and-dill soup and serve pumpkin muffins for dessert. 

Can I come to  your house next year?  MR NOL and I love trying new foods and we are never turned off by anything (Maybe brains and  chitterlings)

On 11/25/2016 at 8:21 AM, LadyCrow1313 said:

I made a recipe (that I found online) for homemade whole cranberry sauce, & it was ridiculously easy. As I love tart things, I thought it came out great; however, when I brought it to my mother's house as part of my meal contribution, Mom said it could've been a little bit sweeter.

I took the rest home with me, so I look forward to having some with dinner tonight. 

Had a bad UTI before Thanksgiving.  Made a double batch of cranberry sauce and since MR NOL  and I are the only ones who eat it had plenty left over.  Ate it with hamburgers instead of lettuce and tomatoes, fried chicken (from Popeye's) and as a breakfast treat (Crescent rolls with cream cheese and cranberries).  Finished it up in 3 days and the UTI is past history.   Just thought you might like to know.

On 11/20/2016 at 9:07 PM, Maggie Mae said:

Of course! 

Feel free to look up the actual recipe, I think it's from Martha Stewart, and I probably add more butter, curry paste, and syrup. 

May I offer a word here?  Since it is Martha Stewart she probably uses REAL MAPLE SYRUP and not pancake syrup.  The taste is as different as night and day.

2 hours ago, NewOrleansLady said:

May I offer a word here?  Since it is Martha Stewart she probably uses REAL MAPLE SYRUP and not pancake syrup.  The taste is as different as night and day.

I said maple syrup. I don't even know what pancake syrup is, but if I expected people to use pancake syrup (do you mean like mrs Butterworth?) I would have specified. I don't know why you are correcting a mistake that didn't happen.  

As many home cooks will attest to, sometimes we , out of necessity, think it is o..k. to use pancake syrup for maple syrup.  It changes the complexity of the recipe.   I personally think you need to pull out your knickers from wherever they are , unknot them and put a fresh pair on.

25 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

I don't even know what pancake syrup is

Sorry, @NewOrleansLady...gotta go with MM here. I don't think she's got her knickers in a twist; like her, I'm completely confused. What's the difference? In our house, we use genuine maple syrup on pancakes anyway so it wouldn't be a problem here regardless, but I'm interested in knowing the difference anyway just because I like knowing facts.

Of course, we all know I don't have the time to cook much and I've never substituted a banana for an egg either so I guess you wouldn't call me one for substituting things. I take things as literally as they come! 

2 hours ago, FundieFarmer said:

Sorry, @NewOrleansLady...gotta go with MM here. I don't think she's got her knickers in a twist; like her, I'm completely confused. What's the difference? In our house, we use genuine maple syrup on pancakes anyway so it wouldn't be a problem here regardless, but I'm interested in knowing the difference anyway just because I like knowing facts.

According to my very extensive research in google over the last two minutes, "pancake syrup" is sugar or corn sugar/syrup and flavorings mixed with water. I guess it's less expensive? I've only ever had maple syrup. I think my dad liked Mrs. Buttersworth's but my mom insisted we use maple syrup as it was local and not gross. 

2 hours ago, FundieFarmer said:

Of course, we all know I don't have the time to cook much and I've never substituted a banana for an egg either so I guess you wouldn't call me one for substituting things. I take things as literally as they come! 

Can you substitute a banana for an egg? That doesn't make any sense. 

Can you substitute a banana for an egg? That doesn't make any sense. 

Yes! Theoretically it's a banana for every egg. I tried it and it was a disaster just in the mixing process alone so I gave up. Props to whoever's managed it. Supposedly it'll replace butter as well.

• 9 months later...

Ok folks, we are 49 days away from Thanksgiving.  Who is planning what?

6 minutes ago, MarblesMom said:

Ok folks, we are 49 days away from Thanksgiving.  Who is planning what?

Drawn by your post, I scrolled up into last year's posts, saw @Maggie Mae's recipe for sweet potatoes, thought "yum, I need to make that soon", then scrolled up further and saw that I had commented on that recipe last year, saying I wanted to try it, but then never made it.  This autumn I really will try it!   Maybe even for Thanksgiving (just to stay on topic, lol)

Archived