IGNORED

Noah's (Theme P)Ark Opens in July

happy atheist

What a ridiculous waste of money. A gigantic wooden warehouse full of caged animal statues. It's not even in the water!

I am glad that no real animals seem to be part of their plans any longer.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a ridiculous waste of money. A gigantic wooden warehouse full of caged animal statues. It's not even in the water!

I am glad that no real animals seem to be part of their plans any longer.

Well it isn't like there are any hungry or homeless people in this world that could have been helped with that money.....:my_confused:

The building of it is the one of the least problems with the flood story. Though having read a book about ark/flood stories that came before the Noah's ark story there are some fascinating ways that people built boats back then. 

Yeah, but a LARGE portion of the planet has been underwater. Finding fossil shells all over Texas and stuff like that does make you wonder...

Yeah, but a LARGE portion of the planet has been underwater. Finding fossil shells all over Texas and stuff like that does make you wonder...

No, it makes me think that plate tectonics are really cool.

fossils don't happen in 5000 years.

Apparently, they were built by a coalition of farmers to be rather large and pointy grain silos. :my_rolleyes:

(Thank you Reoublicans for an alternatively amusing and frightening campaign season.)

And "grain silos" that don't have a hell of a lot of storage space for grain either.  What it does have is storage space for dead Pharaohs.  We know how the ancient Egyptians stored grain as their granaries complete with storage vessels (jars) are still intact.

I followed their instagram for a while, where they post construction progress and the like. I think most of the animals will be stationary dummies. For reasons I don't understand, they thought it would be cool to recreate extinct (or mythical? I don't recall) creatures for the majority of displays. And they're pretty proud of the fact that they got Mennonite/Amish ladies to hand weave or sew (idr again) the fabric items. It all got pretty eye roll worthy and I unfollowed.

https://www.instagram.com/arkencounter/

The instagram showed a 4000 space parking lot. I can't imagine that that will remain full for long. How many people could possibly be interested in this "park?" How do they plan on getting repeat visitors? If it's just "walk through this wooden structure and look at fake animals", I can't imagine people winning to go more than once. Especially when there are actual zoos with real animals that have changing exhibits and interactive exhibits and shows and educational programs.

The instagram showed a 4000 space parking lot. I can't imagine that that will remain full for long. How many people could possibly be interested in this "park?" How do they plan on getting repeat visitors? If it's just "walk through this wooden structure and look at fake animals", I can't imagine people winning to go more than once. Especially when there are actual zoos with real animals that have changing exhibits and interactive exhibits and shows and educational programs.

You're giving fundies too much credit. Change, entertaining and interesting stuff, and actual education - that's not really their cup of tee.

Wonder if the flood happened? Nope. Not one tiny, itsy bitsy bit because the biblical flood story is no more realistic than the fairy stories I used to read my daughter.  I used to read to her stories about how the Autumn fairies would paint the leaves and then she would go out and see leaves changing and, when she was tiny, believe it was true. As she grew up she realized it couldn't possible happen, but was a fun story. The Noah flood story couldn't have possible happened and people see proof because they want to see proof just like my daughter wanted to see proof that fairies existed. 

As for fossils shells in Texas, well this make a hell of a lot more sense than the idea of a angry God deciding to destroy the world with a flood, demanding one guy build an impossible boat and cramming all the animals in the world on it.

http://www.fossilmuseum.net/fossil-art/maps/seaway/seaway100mya.htm

http://www.desertusa.com/desert-california/seashells-in-desert.html

potato city has a better justification than noahs ark theme park .lol. it is however interesting that many myths feature a great flood happening. ( the biblical one is said to possibly being the flooding of the black sea by the mediterrainian sea) europe been quite low through out history so germany was basically a shelf sea couple of 100 tjoudand years ago.

potato city has a better justification than noahs ark theme park .lol. it is however interesting that many myths feature a great flood happening. ( the biblical one is said to possibly being the flooding of the black sea by the mediterrainian sea) europe been quite low through out history so germany was basically a shelf sea couple of 100 tjoudand years ago.

I'm new to evolution, and I've never really had a satisfactory answer to the whole "most cultures have a flood myth, so it must've been the biblical one."

Could someone explain how this happened? Like, how multiple cultures came up with very similar to almost the same stories without meeting each other?

Flooding after the ice age or something?

The biblical flood story is actually two flood stories combined into one, that is why there are contradictions in the biblical story. The biblical one is most likely an adaption of existing flood stories. It is amazing that nobody ever discussed the contradictions in the story when I was growing up and I was so trained to see the Bible as having no contradictions that I didn't see them. 

I'm going to try not to tread too far away from the topic but has anyone seen the Bill Nye vs. Ken Ham debate regarding Is creation a viable model of origin in today's modern, scientific era? The whole debate is on YouTube and it nearly 3 hours long. I watched it in parts because I was curious of how creationists would argue origin against scientifically proven points. I bring this up because Noah's Ark seems to be mentioned frequently as an example. I personally think the debate winner was no contest, Bill Nur (BILL BILL BILL BILL), but I think Ken Ham and his supporters think he won. I wonder what your thoughts on the arguments are, especially to someone new to evolution as stated by @Trynn.

I'm new to evolution, and I've never really had a satisfactory answer to the whole "most cultures have a flood myth, so it must've been the biblical one."

Could someone explain how this happened? Like, how multiple cultures came up with very similar to almost the same stories without meeting each other?

Flooding after the ice age or something?

Massive floods happen, even today. When you view the entire area you live in as the "world" it could really  seem like the world flooded. A devastating flood after a long, heavy rain that killed most of the people in the community would easily get turned into a mythical story that is passed down. Flood stories don't prove a world wide flood anymore than vampire stories in various ancient cultures prove that vampires used to exist. 

When evolution was new to me one of my biggest problems was that I had been lied to my entire life about evolution. I thought I understood evolution but I didn't. Once I started learning the truth about it it makes so much more sense then the creation crap I was raised with. 

I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but there will be a delay in the opening of my back yard atheist park due to the actions of one of my horses. Yesterday Domingo was found smoking a dooby without offering to pass his joint to the rest of the herd.  Until Domingo learns the value of selfless sharing we will be unable to admit the public to my back yard. My apologies. 

domingosmoking1-2.jpg

I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but there will be a delay in the opening of my back yard atheist park due to the actions of one of my horses. Yesterday Domingo was found smoking a dooby without offering to pass his joint to the rest of the herd.  Until Domingo learns the value of selfless sharing we will be unable to admit the public to my back yard. My apologies. 

domingosmoking1-2.jpg

Sounds like Domingo has a rebellious spirit. Perhaps a journey to the heart will straighten him out. 

Nah, if God can drown a planet he can float an ark.

this is the thing that gets me about the fundamentalist, bible literalist mind. God is supposed to be omnipotent, right. He is all powerful, right. He can do anything, right. So why does he have to run this whole complicated gambit in order to preserve life? Why couldn't he just smite down all the bad people and then move on fresh? It makes so much more sense that this story is a metaphor.

I'm going to try not to tread too far away from the topic but has anyone seen the Bill Nye vs. Ken Ham debate regarding Is creation a viable model of origin in today's modern, scientific era? The whole debate is on YouTube and it nearly 3 hours long. I watched it in parts because I was curious of how creationists would argue origin against scientifically proven points. I bring this up because Noah's Ark seems to be mentioned frequently as an example. I personally think the debate winner was no contest, Bill Nur (BILL BILL BILL BILL), but I think Ken Ham and his supporters think he won. I wonder what your thoughts on the arguments are, especially to someone new to evolution as stated by @Trynn.

I remember watching this on the live stream. Ken Ham's camp was definitely claiming victory but the general public wasn't buying it. Ken's power point slides were slick but you can tell Bill put thought and effort into his arguments (which were wasted on this crowd). 

Bill Nye is the coolest. Seriously. And the fact that he kept his composure speaks volumes about him.

domingosmoking1-2.jpg

Maybe Domingo should read this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latawnya,_the_Naughty_Horse,_Learns_to_Say_"No"_to_Drugs

• 7 months later...

Archived