IGNORED

How to plan holiday meals, Teri Maxwell style

mango_fandango

Favourite Xmas leftover meal - cold turkey and/or ham, and bubble and squeak - made with fried mashed up together potatoes and brussel sprouts, and served with piccalli (a mustard pickle). Can't wait!

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

that's seriously the best part...not having to cook for days afterwards! cold or warmed up, it's allllll good.

my personal favourite post-thanksgiving meal is a sandwich of turkey, stuffing, and cranberry sauce with a little bit of gravy so it isn't too dry. yes i'm weird. no i don't care.

You should eat an extra sandwich this year. That way when your baby is old enough for sandwiches, he or she will like them too. :kitty-wink:

I think I have just found a fundamental flaw in Teri's plan.  Perhaps this is why she never seems to get it right.

So lets say that next year, she takes the Thanksgiving after plan from last year which said they made too many mashed potatoes and they had 2 days worth of leftovers.  So next year, Teri takes that into account and buys fewer potatoes.  But since the last Thanksgiving, John has gotten married, the new baby is now eating solid food, and the remaining grandchildren are all a year older and their stomach a year bigger.  If Teri goes by last year's data and buys fewer potatoes, then she may not have enough potatoes this year!!! Oh noessssssssss.  Is there like a yearly rectification of the after report of the prior year?

This post gives me a headache. I tried putting myself in their shoes and understand their mindset and thinking and it is stressful. Steve Maxwell's mind is like a bad neighborhood, never go in alone!

For the record, we tend to have certain food traditions, but sometimes I might do something different like brine the turkey, or add some ginger to my cranberry sauce! I often try a few extra sides.

P.S. I know some people look down on iceberg lettuce, I happen to find it delicious and crispy cool, and while it may not have the same nutritional content as spinach, it does have notional value like vitamin K and A.

You should eat an extra sandwich this year. That way when your baby is old enough for sandwiches, he or she will like them too. :kitty-wink:

mayhaps i will ;)

i will get to be at my mum's place this year, so there will be quite the spread! we're a lot alike...we don't know how to cook for only a few people!

No, Capriotti's has a sub called the "Bobbie", which is (excepting the bread & gravy) is similar to your sandwich.  (The Bobbie[emoji768] The nationally acclaimed best-seller! Homemade Turkey, cranberry sauce, stuffing, and mayo.)

i have not heard of them, but i like their style!

fiance teases me about weird food combinations, as he is typically really straight-laced and rather "plain" when it comes to food (compared to me, at least :P ). i've gotten him to be a little adventurous, though...he actually picked out some tamales to eat and i thought i'd die from shock!

You know Steve has to pre-approve every post before it gets put on the blog. This is great passive aggressive timing, Teri. 

I go crazy over holiday menu planning. I've had my Thanksgiving menu planned since September :pb_lol: It's a little bit different every year, but nothing too crazy.

FFS half the fun of celebration meals is coming up with new ideas and recipes.  

Funny, I feel exactly the opposite about certain holiday meals. Thanksgiving and Easter menus are written in stone and can never be changed, same dishes and same recipes of said dishes. Christmas, birthdays and other celebrations are a culinary free for all.

I definitely make a list for Thanksgiving and Christmas, because I don't want to go to the store on Thanksgiving day, assuming one is open.

Until I put iceberg lettuce on my master shopping list for the barbecue, we were sending someone back to the store the day of the barbecue for the lettuce that hadn’t been purchased.

this is by far my favorite part of the post, bc it suggests that despite the genius of her meal planning method and afer action reports this mistake was still made SEVERAL TIMES before teri could be bothered to pull up her word document and add "lettuce" to the list hahahaha

I couldn't help but catch this in the body of Teri's post: 

I thought, "Picnic eggs? What are picnic eggs?" After some preliminary googling, I found out that "picnic eggs" is another term that seems to be used in England and/or its colonies to denote deviled eggs. I find the avoidance of the word "devil" to be so silly. Its a very superstitious way to act about language, like if you dare to speak his name that Satan himself will appear. Good grief!

And yes, Teri's vocabulary and way of writing is so weirdly stilted. My guess is that lack of exposure to anything but the Bible will arrest your linguistic development. 

So is the word devil a curse word in Maxhell or something?  Deviled eggs  

I see nothing wrong w/ having the same thing for Holiday meals. My mother makes the same thing for Rosh Hashanah & Passover.  

I usually make the same things for Thanksgiving and Christmas, but sometimes I come across a new side dish or dessert and throw that in the mix. I found a recipe last year for a maple-pecan chiffon cake, and after making it, Mr. Cartmann99 asked me to please Include it in future holiday meals.

So is the word devil a curse word in Maxhell or something?  Deviled eggs

It's like those folks who call potluck dinners, pot providence dinners.

How on earth was three pounds of ground beef enough to feed everyone?

I couldn't believe it when I read it either.  But then again, I'm Italian and we're a bunch of gluttons.  We weren't raised to skimp on parties. 

This post gives me a headache. I tried putting myself in their shoes and understand their mindset and thinking and it is stressful. Steve Maxwell's mind is like a bad neighborhood, never go in alone!

For the record, we tend to have certain food traditions, but sometimes I might do something different like brine the turkey, or add some ginger to my cranberry sauce! I often try a few extra sides.

P.S. I know some people look down on iceberg lettuce, I happen to find it delicious and crispy cool, and while it may not have the same nutritional content as spinach, it does have notional value like vitamin K and A.

I like iceberg lettuce, but the rest of my family calls it junk food.  Too bad.  If they come to one of my parties, they are going to get iceberg in the salad.  I cannot stand romaine lettuce, fresh spinach, or kale.  It is like eating sand. 

These are the most boring people, with the most boring blog, and the most boring life, and yet... I keep reading it.

completely agree!!  I read cause I'm grateful my life is not like their lives. 

perhaps because they seem to barely eat anything?

i used 3lbs of ground beef when i made meatloaf last month. it made three nicely sized loaves that we ate on for about five meals. between two people.

seriously, the way they treat food, if they were looking in from the outside, they would admonish themselves for making an idol of it. the fact they remain painfully oblivious to this just kills me with the irony.

I use 1 pound for burgers for 4 people and two of us are kids! None of us eat huge meals and no one is close to overweight. My husband and son are both tall and skinny. I am a size 6-8. My daughter is a super tiny 34 pound 5 year old. How on earth is that enough food for the whole family? Even if that is just buying for the actual true family, not the ones who have had the audacity to become extended, that leaves 8 grown ups if you count GiGi. So that means 12 burgers at less than 3oz each after cooking out fat. 

Standard bun size calls for 4 oz precooked. You lose about 1 oz or more in cooking (I use butcher blend meat from whole foods, but I'd bet the Maxwells are using a fatty cut). So basically they end up with a charred, super thin burger that weighs about 2 oz. I would bet Teri dumps a bunch of filler into her meat to stretch it though- breadcrumbs, etc. And why the heck can Teri not make 6 pounds of burgers and save the rest for dinner the next night? You got the grill out; use it!

So basically they have cut the meat out of the burgers because Steve realized he cannot taste the difference.

my personal favourite post-thanksgiving meal is a sandwich of turkey, stuffing, and cranberry sauce with a little bit of gravy so it isn't too dry. yes i'm weird. no i don't care.

You're not weird; you're awesome! That's exactly how I eat my post-Thanksgiving sandwiches, down to the gravy. 

She didn't tell us how many hot dogs or brats they bought though, did she?  Maybe the family prefers those?  That's the only way 3 pounds of hamburger makes any sense at all.  Maybe they make slider size for the kids. 

Take the cranberry sauce out, and that sounds perfect to me!

These are the most boring people, with the most boring blog, and the most boring life, and yet... I keep reading it.

And I actually get... excited for the new posts. Truly, I am the most boring person on earth. 

I usually make the same things for Thanksgiving and Christmas, but sometimes I come across a new side dish or dessert and throw that in the mix. I found a recipe last year for a maple-pecan chiffon cake, and after making it, Mr. Cartmann99 asked me to please Include it in future holiday meals.

It's like those folks who call potluck dinners, pot providence dinners.

Can I come over on Thanksgiving and have some of that cake?  It sounds scrummy! as Mary Berry from The Great British Baking Show would say.

". . .let's freeze the rest in case someone drops by for coffee."

You're killing me here! Someone who made the mistake of dropping by Chez Maxwell would not be rewarded with coffee and poppyseed cake. Think of the havoc wreaked upon the schedule!

That's not weird at all. It's how leftover turkey sandwiches are supposed to be made! I deliberately make way too much of just about everything, but especially turkey, stuffing, and cranberry sauce because leftovers are the best part of Thanksgiving.

I imagine the three pounds of meat works out fine because each person is only allowed one item.  So you can either have a hamburger, or a hot dog, or a brat. If you're still hungry you can have 3 potato chips and a picnic egg.  Happy 4th of July, and do you know where you're going when you die??

After cooking for so many, especially Christmas, who the hell wants to cook anything for the next day or two. Bring out the leftovers!!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who found the writing strange. I had to read the first 2-3 paragraphs a few times. Thought I was losing it.

Why is this underscored??? I keep trying to change it but to no avail.

Archived