IGNORED

Meredith's Husband is at Harvard

MissBitters

Huh. Anybody notice that Lina (Paulina) and Meredith are FB friends?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I noticed Elizabeth Botkin, but I didn't see her. 

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Really?

Just really?  

You know that's not actually how it works, right?  

But isn't that exactly how these patriarchal types operate?

But isn't that exactly how these patriarchal types operate?

I don't think we yet know very much about what it is to grow up in a culture that is so bigoted towards non-heterosexual men and women.  

In general, it seems seems a harsh and negative thing to assume that a gay man would respond to this upbringing by becoming abusive, or conversely, to assume that an abusive man "must be gay".

In this specific case, we can see what looks to us outwardly to be patriarchal dick behaviour on Stephen's part, but we actually have no evidence that Meredith is at all unhappy in the relationship.

I don't think we yet know very much about what it is to grow up in a culture that is so bigoted towards non-heterosexual men and women.  

In general, it seems seems a harsh and negative thing to assume that a gay man would respond to this upbringing by becoming abusive, or conversely, to assume that an abusive man "must be gay".

In this specific case, we can see what looks to us outwardly to be patriarchal dick behaviour on Stephen's part, but we actually have no evidence that Meredith is at all unhappy in the relationship.

Ok, I must have misunderstood the other poster's response. I didn't read it as he's gay so he must be an asshole. I just read it as he's an asshole. And you're right, if Meredith is truly happy, his supposed assholery shouldn't matter.

This is gonna sound weird, but, as an almost-classics major, what a typical classics major! Steve (I bet he hates being called Steve) is the stereotype of a classics major: stuffy, conservative, and sexist to the bone. (That being said, the classics landscape is changing but there were just enough Steves in my classics department for me to give it a general miss). I feel like he couldn't handle a woman who dared challenge his comparisons of Herodotus and Thuycidides, or question his interpretation of the character of Antigone. While he could handle that in a classroom (where the professor is the arbiter, and may tend towards his side), he could never deal with an egalitarian home or a go-getter wife. Don't get me wrong, his resume is impressive, but I feel like it's being ballooned out of proportion by his adoring wife, who is not educated enough to challenge him on his subjects.

It makes me really sad to see. I, too, saw a lot of potential in Meredith. I come from a family where I was pushed, hard, to achieve the maximum. I love university. I love my majors (early modern studies and philosophy), and I debate and discuss them all day with my friends and family if they let me. I'm a little infamous for being exasperated with the key figure of a series my boyfriend enjoys because his character arch is so "unhegelian" (the infamy comes from having several protracted arguments about this-- on the bus, in bookstores, over dinner, at pubs, etc.). That kind of wholehearted investment in something for its own sake is so rewarding and gratifying. I would have loved to see Meredith (and SAHDs in general) get the opportunity to explore a variety of things and really pursue what interests them, whether that's philosophy or welding or jam-making. But I don't get the sense that she ever got to explore her options the way Steve did, and I think he likes having something she doesn't; he likes being more educated and he likes having opportunities that make him special. If they really had met at Oxford, Steve would no longer be special as his wife would be just as overachieving and high-flying. Gross.

Aww, how disappointing. I minored in Classics. I was the only female there, but none of the people I knew in that department were like that. A little stuffy, yes, but definitely not above a good Catullus poem. They weren't particularly sexist either. It could have just been my small department, but my experiences with people from Classics elsewhere have been similar. Classics is definitely changing, and I'm glad to see it.

Interesting,  I had no idea of the reputation of Classics majors.  My daughter is considering it. I dont think we know and classics majors. Is that a common major for someone intending to go into law and politics? I think my daughter just wants to stay in university and academia forever.  :D funny she's the second of my 3 homeschool graduates who dream of teaching at the university level. 

This thread is my first introduction to Stephen and Meredith. I read her courtship story with my eyes popping out on stalks. It's appalling! And all I could think was, how many prospective fundie SAHD wives did he email at the same time? I get the feeling he could have been casting a wide net to see which fish bit. *shudders*

Interesting,  I had no idea of the reputation of Classics majors.  My daughter is considering it. I dont think we know and classics majors. Is that a common major for someone intending to go into law and politics? I think my daughter just wants to stay in university and academia forever.  [emoji3] funny she's the second of my 3 homeschool graduates who dream of teaching at the university level. 

In my area of liberal arts (philosophy/history/literature) a fair number of people go into classics. I did a very unusual first year programme (I can tell you about it via PM if you like) that basically was a run through of the history of western thought and civilization. It began with a section on the classical world and a lot of people (including myself) really enjoyed that. A lot of classics majors stay in acadaemia/classics, which is how it can end up an old boys club (although, again, it's being shaken up at last). If you go onto anything following classics, it's probably gonna be law.

In my area of liberal arts (philosophy/history/literature) a fair number of people go into classics. I did a very unusual first year programme (I can tell you about it via PM if you like) that basically was a run through of the history of western thought and civilization. It began with a section on the classical world and a lot of people (including myself) really enjoyed that. A lot of classics majors stay in acadaemia/classics, which is how it can end up an old boys club (although, again, it's being shaken up at last). If you go onto anything following classics, it's probably gonna be law.

I find this really interesting, as it hasn't been my experience. I'm now wondering if my program is the exception to the norm :pb_lol:

Out of the classics graduates I know/know of, two are artists and have opened their own businesses, one is a chef, one is an engineer applying for PHD programs in classics, one is in graduate school for ancient history (me), another is in graduate school for classics, and another is a professor of classics at a major university in California. No lawyers in the bunch. I'm not sure if I should be happy that we're different, or bummed that we're so far from normal. :pb_biggrin:

Archived