IGNORED

Legwarmers as Spats? Why not?

Lisa

Wasn't Lady Lydia the one that mocked the clothes women were wearing as they were trying to escape from flooded houses during Hurricane Katrina? I don't think she has ever been a nice person. 

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depression is a sad thing.  It turns people into shells of their real selves.

It may be hard to tell from the shell, but the real Lydia is/was pretty terrible.  I was around (though not here) for Prime Lydia, and honestly, the only woman I can think of who even comes close to Lydia in her almost sociopathic lack of mercy or compassion is Zsu.  In fact, Zsu has yet to utterly floor me the way Lydia once did (though to be fair, I'm far more jaded now).  

The truth is: the world is probably a better place without Lydia spewing her noxious filth everywhere.  I don't think anyone needs to hear about the fashion faux pas of the Syrian refugees, for example.  The only person this is sad for is Lydia.  

Mental illness takes the bad with the good.  No need to turn into Lydias ourselves and start romanticizing a wondrous woman who never was.  

Not so sure if "nice" fits the bill.  Maybe some of you don't know her whole past.  Remember, we are talking about the woman who co-founded Ladies Against Feminism with Jennie Chancey.  It's not all roses and teacups with her.  She has been exposed in the past to have made some pretty racist statements, IIRC, and also to have put down people who had debt when it was exposed that she herself had loads of it.  She may be losing it mentally a bit now, but 10-12 years ago she had plenty of vitriol for topics like women working and women who dared to not dress with enough "femininity" for her personal taste.

Welp. Guess I need to read back a while. Her latest posts just struck me as "yeah, she's obsessed with a long-dead cult of domesticity and probably has some weird/screwed up views, but she doesn't seem actively malicious". I'm sure that once I binge-read the rest of her blog (which I will totally do), I will stand corrected on my "she seems like a nice lady" comment.

Wow, I didn't realize she had such a history. I thought she was just an insane woman with a LHOP fetish.

Mind you, I wouldn't want to be caught fleeing a hurricane in some of the flowery aprons that she's wearing.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I have to make a personal mea culpa to Lydia Sherman. I've always been harping on how she is a decent seamstress, but uses crappy Wal-Mart fabrics and trims. I had to go to our newly revamped fabric department at the corner Wal-mart today, and they have some really nice fabrics there, and really decent prices. I had to get some fleece interfacing and some twill fabric for a pair of slippers I'm making, and it was about half the price I pay at Hancock or Joanns. Waverly has a line of really pretty fabrics there, including some nice twill and cotton poplin.

So, I'm sorry on the Wal-Mart fabric thing, Lydia. You just rock on with your pink calico self there.

Oh she's teaching a Skype class based on Gwen Webb's book Training Up a Child.

Which apparently is an amazing resource for all God-loving Christian parents about how to abuse your child biblically.

http://www.amazon.com/Training-Up-Child-Following-Gods/product-reviews/097273080X/ref=cm_cr_dp_see_all_btm?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

On 12/2/2015 at 11:29 AM, formergothardite said:

Wasn't Lady Lydia the one that mocked the clothes women were wearing as they were trying to escape from flooded houses during Hurricane Katrina? I don't think she has ever been a nice person. 

I had forgotten about the vitriol she had for those women. :pb_sad:

Training Up A Child? How come the Pearls haven't sued yet? Does the world need two books about how to slap ya kids, except one book has an infinitive in the title and the other has a gerund?

Oh Lady Lydia. I enjoyed the post about the women's tea. I imagine her guests as being akin to Hycinth Bucket's neighbors from Keeping Up Appearances - dreading all potential encounters, and if trapped bearing several hours of insufferable preening.

I'm dying at the Little Edie comparison, though Lydia would never call herself STAUNCH. I will say, I would find it preferable to visit Big and Little Edie at Grey Gardens than Lady Lydia at Pink Nightmare Manor. At least the Edies have some good stories and you would get at least a few good performances of Tea for Two.

13 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

Because the Webb book came out before the Pearls' book I think.

No,  the publishing date is 2005. 

I'd guess because "train up a child" is part of a biblical quote, it would be difficult to prove a copy right claim on it. 

5 minutes ago, Anonymousguest said:

No,  the publishing date is 2005.

I'd guess because "train up a child" is part of a biblical quote, it would be difficult to prove a copy right claim on it.

It was published in the seventies, according to Lady Lydia, amazon.com and google books.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Training-up-child-Gwendolyn-Webb/dp/B0006CUVCO

https://books.google.com/books/about/Training_Up_a_Child.html?id=Yo70GwAACAAJ&redir_esc=y

• 5 weeks later...

Archived