IGNORED

Legwarmers as Spats? Why not?

Lisa

Damn it! I hate I missed seeing her "spats" and the other post she deleted. I found her post about swinging odd. It is pretty clear that no children had been drinking tea or playing there and that instead it was Lydia who set it up for the photo. 

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lydia didn't make them. https://www.flickr.com/photos/maideartwork/380853124

There are more pictures here, by the person who did make them.  https://www.flickr.com/photos/maideartwork/page2

she's not claiming to make those, she used those pictures for reference.

the ones she made she just cut the sleeves off of a plain white sweater, no decoration at all.

she's not claiming to make those, she used those pictures for reference.

the ones she made she just cut the sleeves off of a plain white sweater, no decoration at all.

Ah.  The only spats post I see if the one with that picture of the ones she didn't make.

Ah.  The only spats post I see if the one with that picture of the ones she didn't make.

yeah, she took down her pictures. maybe she realized they weren't quite up to her floral-y pink standards. :P

yeah, she took down her pictures. maybe she realized they weren't quite up to her floral-y pink standards. :P

Well, now even that post is gone, and up is a post about how tattoo artists don't care about the health of anyone's skin.

"Ladies, particularly, have always enjoyed changes in their appearance. Hairstyles, makeup, jewelry and clothing can be changed. There are many things available that have no permanent effect on the skin"

I don't think she knows how makeup and other products can have a permanent affect on the skin, for good or bad.  I think someone getting a tattoo and wearing sun block is better off than the leather lady at the beach who shuns sub block and makeup in favor of getting more tan.

Tattoos and skin piercings in no way improve anything in your appearance, nor do they give you a distinctive edge in fashion.

Hmm, I think that's a matter of personal taste. Even if Lydia doesn't think that tattoos and piercings are edgy or pretty, someone else might.

Clothing, on the other hand, provides protection and gives you daily choices that are not permanent.

Talk about stating the obvious... I'm sure no one would have realized that you can change your clothes if it wasn't for reading her blog.

However, juxtaposing the two as if they're somehow mutually exclusive alternatives seems a little odd, as most people I know with tattoos and piercings wear clothes just the same as the people who don't have tattoos and piercings. I have pierced ears but it never occurred to me not to wear clothing.

Who is she writing to? How many % of her serious readers are in the demographic who is trying to decide whether they should get tattooed and pierce their navel and genitals, while pondering the merits of not working outside the home and spending your time staging Jane Austen berry tea parties?

This lady and her children have made an effort to learn all they can about hospitality, even to the point of knowing to use up scented candles when serving food, and watch cooking videos from way back when cooking shows first started, and use the old recipes with great success. They also collect books on entertainment in the White House and other important places, and they fix up their house to make it very comfortable.

They light scented candles while serving food? Heathen me says that's a hospitality no-no. Who wants fake flowery candles masking the smell of your meal?

Hmmm.  My tattoo is a big stone Celtic cross with flowers entwined around it.  Barring the 1-2 tenants who are usually at the pool at the same time as me in the summer, no one ever sees it but my husband and myself.  I'm not sure if Lydia's fluffy lace brain is capable of understanding that some people get tattoos as a symbol of empowerment, of pride of ownership of their own bodies, as a living work of art that they will have with them always.  It has NOTHING to do with fashion or what anyone else does or doesn't think about it.  I came up with the concept, I designed it, I chose the placement and the colors, it has deep meaning for me and I love it dearly.  I have several more planned, I just can't afford to get them right now.  Soon.

ETA: and I got my first tattoo at age 44.  Not exactly a youthful impulsive move.

They light scented candles while serving food? Heathen me says that's a hospitality no-no. Who wants fake flowery candles masking the smell of your meal?

I wondered if it was a damn you autocorrect error and she meant to say "use unscented candles" instead of "use up scented candles"

Nothing to add here except I keep misreading the title as "Leghumpers As Spats."

Carry on...:pb_lol:

I saved the spats pics from the blog... But honestly, of all the wack shit Lady Lydia has made or done, this comes in somewhere between the caligraphy to-do lists and random decorative fabric berries on the mantle.  It's really not up to Thomas-Kincade levels of kitsch I expect- I've actually seen some similar pictures on a random fashion/craft blog. 

blogger-image-1608920777.jpg

blogger-image-1853836676.jpg

hallelujah! now all may bask in the glory of the sweater sleeve spats

I saved the spats pics from the blog... But honestly, of all the wack shit Lady Lydia has made or done, this comes in somewhere between the caligraphy to-do lists and random decorative fabric berries on the mantle.  It's really not up to Thomas-Kincade levels of kitsch I expect- I've actually seen some similar pictures on a random fashion/craft blog. 

blogger-image-1608920777.jpg

blogger-image-1853836676.jpg

Wow you can't even tell they are sweater sleeves! :my_sick:

It is important that they look like sweater sleeves.  Otherwise, someone may think she is wearing leggings or chaps, and she may be confused for a man.

No godly man would wear sweater sleeves on his legs, so they safely pertain to women.  ;-)

It is important that they look like sweater sleeves.  Otherwise, someone may think she is wearing leggings or chaps, and she may be confused for a man.

No godly man would wear sweater sleeves on his legs, so they safely pertain to women.  ;-)

Do godly men wear leggings? (other than DPIAT and his band of merry men of course)

Well, no, they don't look like sweater sleeves; they look like knee-high socks with the foot cut off except that they are baggy around the ankle.  Come to think of it, knee-high socks would work better because they would not be so shapeless.

Some of the comments on her blog entries are much more entertaining then her actual entry. 

• 2 weeks later...

I liked this  post from Lydia:

This is a reminder to let your children be children, and do not rush them into being all grown-up. Comfort them when they are hurt and let them cry. Let them have uninterrupted play, because their minds are growing and their thinking is forming. To be often interrupted and channeled into other activities makes it harder to develop a thought process. Simple playing is one way to develop contentment.

I liked this  post from Lydia:

This is a reminder to let your children be children, and do not rush them into being all grown-up. Comfort them when they are hurt and let them cry. Let them have uninterrupted play, because their minds are growing and their thinking is forming. To be often interrupted and channeled into other activities makes it harder to develop a thought process. Simple playing is one way to develop contentment.

That might be the most sensible thing Lydia has ever written. It confirms my suspicion that Lydia is a good-hearted woman (at least when it comes to empathy for her own kind), just very bored or rather simple, or both.

That might be the most sensible thing Lydia has ever written. It confirms my suspicion that Lydia is a good-hearted woman (at least when it comes to empathy for her own kind), just very bored or rather simple, or both.

Yeah, unlike a lot of fundie types we discuss on here, I think she is a genuinely nice person, just kinda isolated and with questionable decor tastes. She reminds me of this one female blogger I used to follow who was a really nice lady (apart from a weird obsession with pale skin and questionable claims of Native American/Romani ancestry...claims that were really weird in light of her obsession with pale skin), but very wrapped up in a fantasy world that she believed was beautiful and mystical, but to outside observers, she just looked like a Vitamin D-deficient 40+-year-old singing off-key Les Miserables and dressing like a budget production of Camelot. I think she and Lydia are both very lonely women from lower-income backgrounds and with very humble/limited life aspirations who retreat into fantasies of earlier times (Renaissance/Tudor, Victorian) because it's comforting, especially if they don't understand the full history of what life was really like then.

Basically, there's nothing wrong with what Lydia does, though I find her taste kind of hilarious and I find her glamorization of the Victorian/Edwardian age pretty problematic (though then again, I love to read about Queen Victoria and study Victorian fashion while knowing full well what horrible things she allowed to happen/looked the other way about/actively supported in Africa and the Indian Subcontinent).

Not so sure if "nice" fits the bill.  Maybe some of you don't know her whole past.  Remember, we are talking about the woman who co-founded Ladies Against Feminism with Jennie Chancey.  It's not all roses and teacups with her.  She has been exposed in the past to have made some pretty racist statements, IIRC, and also to have put down people who had debt when it was exposed that she herself had loads of it.  She may be losing it mentally a bit now, but 10-12 years ago she had plenty of vitriol for topics like women working and women who dared to not dress with enough "femininity" for her personal taste.

I've only read her recent posts but they give me the impression that she's against women working outside the home because personally she wouldn't be able to handle the stress and the demands,  and tinkering with teacups is far more suited to her current coping skills.

Archived