IGNORED

Legwarmers as Spats? Why not?

Lisa

homeliving.blogspot.ca

You know those sites where they show beautiful Pinterest-style craft or project and then someone's horrible attempt at same? Lady Lydia did that to herself in this amazing rendition of a Victorian spat. I truly hope that she not only wears these in public but gives them as gifts to everyone on her list.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

but.............they have no embellishments, no lace, no fake flowers, not even a button or a bit of ribbon or......or......a tiny strip of ricrac. She is losing her touch.

no floral pattern? i'm shocked, shocked i tell you

great minds think alike!

no floral pattern? i'm shocked, shocked i tell you

Damn, you're right. I'm a little disappointed that she didn't hot glue fabric roses and bits of lace to those tubes. 

The sweater spats reminded me of the dance audition sequence in Flashdance (1983).  

:happy-partydance:

My eyes are shot. I thought she wrote that they were sweater sleeves!  :shocked:

I was on my way here to post about the sweater arm spats.  You beat me to it.  Lady Lydia, faller deeper and deeper into the pink crazy as the weeks go by.

The post below it is even sadder.  It's dated Nov. 2.  She sounds...well, desperate as she says she was trying to convince her husband that women at home are "heroic".  She says he leafed through the mail and handed her an ad with a blue ribbon on it.  The expiration date on the ad plainly states "order by August 28".  So that piece of paper has been sitting around her house for 3 months, and she dug it up and made up a story around it to post something.  What the fuck, seriously.

It sounds like Mr. Lydia is not so happy about his able-bodied wife sitting at home having imaginary tea parties and decorating the rusting truck in the yard.  Lydia, your slip is showing.  :kitty-shifty:

My eyes are shot. I thought she wrote that they were sweater sleeves!  :shocked:

THEY ARE sweater sleeves.  She thinks she is oh so clever and that they look just like spats.  On her $5 Wal-Mart shoes.  Yes, Lydia, they look completely authentic.  Go drink some hot berry water to congratulate yourself on your cleverness.

She did not come up with this idea.  My 11yr old daughter made some boot cuffs and leg warmers out of sweaters we got at Goodwill last winter. She was a little more creative though,  sewing on buttons,  and cutting the cuffs off a few sweaters, sewing then together to make a rainbow or patchwork style legwarmer. They were very cute,  I thought, especially for a little girl. 

You know I should be careful snarking, my kids drew on several dining room chairs with a sharpee, the seat is upholstered in leather and I painted the upholstery with chalk paint figuring it cant look worse, and if it does I could learn how to cover it with fabric properly. I painted them blue then ran out of paint, the store didn't carry that color when I went back so I got this pretty peacock color its a teal, some are blue, some are teal......I am deciding which I like best. So I am a bit lady Lydia like. I drew the line at the ballet slipper pink though.

I kind of want to buy some thrift store wedding dresses and put them on the chairs just to see the WTF look from my kids.

" I used my 40 percent coupon so it felt like I got them almost free."

40 percent off is totally the same as "almost free." 

I can't snark too much on the spats. I used to repurpose ladies' socks to make homemade "Babylegs" legwarmers for my kids. At least this is more useful than hot-glueing wedding dresses and lace all over everything.

The post below it is even sadder.  It's dated Nov. 2.  She sounds...well, desperate as she says she was trying to convince her husband that women at home are "heroic".  She says he leafed through the mail and handed her an ad with a blue ribbon on it.  The expiration date on the ad plainly states "order by August 28".  So that piece of paper has been sitting around her house for 3 months, and she dug it up and made up a story around it to post something.  What the fuck, seriously.

It sounds like Mr. Lydia is not so happy about his able-bodied wife sitting at home having imaginary tea parties and decorating the rusting truck in the yard.  Lydia, your slip is showing.  :kitty-shifty:

He's probably heard the same rant every day for forty-plus years. Lydia only has two themes - the virtue of  agoraphobia and playing house for adults - but she is amazingly inventive in creating variations. Just when you think there is no way she can stuff that house with more cheap pink crap, she finds a way. Just when you think there's no new way she can slag women who have interests outside of the home, she reaches deeper.

I was just coming to say that there are no pictures of her sweater spats nor is there an entry for Nov. 2.  The entry following the sweater spats is one for swings.

Also there is nothing about using a coupon.  I feel cheated.  There is barely anything at all and nothing worth snarking at.

yup, she took down her pictures and the other entry. lydia must be peeking in here lol.

She's been invited to a nice tea party. The hosts are veritable superstars of hospitality, quoting Austen and even knowing how to light candles.

This lady and her children have made an effort to learn all they can about hospitality, even to the point of knowing to use up scented candles when serving food, and watch cooking videos from way back when cooking shows first started, and use the old recipes with great success. They also collect books on entertainment in the White House and other important places, and they fix up their house to make it very comfortable.

The whole family is also very keen on Jane Austen, and we had a good time exchanging quotes from the books, back and forth. It was mentioned how important it was to have tea together to share our own news:

"What is your news?"

"You know how I like news!"

[qu ote post=1056628" timestamp="1447193866" name="Sobeknofret]Damn. I so love Lydia's posts. I'm gutted that I missed that one.

you didn't miss too much, it was unfortunately sub-par, just some plain white sweater sleeves worn over $5 walmart shoes. i was expecting her to use a floral-patterned sweater, or at least throw some lace or something on them. she seriously put more effort into decorating that truck than she did a clothing item she apparently plans on wearing on her body...

Ah, well, I am glad the friend's pumpkin roll photo remains.  I just don't have the knack for getting those to roll right, but I am always inspired by those who do.  For now, I just call my failures "bread pudding."

:my_blush:

Hi Lydia!  :pb_lol:

You're depressed.  You need to see a psychiatrist and a good therapist.  Some good antidepressants and getting out of the house more often would do you a world of good.

And sorry not sorry, you aren't saving the world by making fleece capes and straining hot water through berries.  You really, really aren't.

Gosh, I feel so privileged to have seen that post. I don't normally look at her stuff (although the truckafé sucked me in), but I couldn't resist last night. 

Did the Victorians really wear spats to make shoes look like boots? 

Did the Victorians really wear spats to make shoes look like boots?

I thought they were worn primarily to protect the shoes and socks. The streets were pretty dirty with horse muck and mud and other unmentionables.

I thought they were worn primarily to protect the shoes and socks. The streets were pretty dirty with horse muck and mud and other unmentionables.

I think this is probably the case because spat is the shortened word for spatterdashes. (I blame marching band for remembering this random obscure fact.)

Archived