IGNORED

3 Maxwell girls on 'road trip'

albanuadh_1

Happy for John that he seems to be breaking away to a degree.  Sad for the sisters that picking up Sarah's book from the printer is probably all the solo traveling they'll get.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

John could have listed the house and someone else sold it. The realtor who sold our first house was known for being a listing agent who  would bring in other realtors to show the place, after he listed it. He made a good living that way. 

I also wonder if John is buying,mildly rehabbing and selling his own/Maxwell renovations?

I know two LDS families and they would be consider wild and worldly compared to the Maxwells. Sure they don't drink, swear, or have sex out of wedlock but for the most part they don't stand out wildly different than the other people I know. Maybe it's regional?

I think pretty anyone this side of Carthusian monks would be considered wild and worldly compared to the Maxwells. That said, there are huge cultural differences between Mormons in Utah and Idaho and those elsewhere in the world.

They go to start fires in Africa to roast marshmallows missionaries on.

FTFY.  Sarah's descriptions of missionaries are about this informed.

I think, if anything, they're told not to talk to anyone unless necessary.

And since we've been talking about John, looks like he finally sold a house last month. http://www.realtor.com/realestateagents/John-Maxwell_Lansing_KS_2170198_007904685

Well, good for John!  And good catch by you.

In the latest blog post Teri shares the earth-shattering news that she keeps a master ingredient list for holiday meals on the computer.  Imagine!  Does she have recipes saved too because no-one would ever have thought of that in a million years.

Of course this means that if "some" switch their preferences from hamburger buns to lettuce wraps it takes a couple of years to update the master ingredient list.  So ingredients are missed and unscheduled visits to the store for iceberg lettuce are made.  Teri, sweetie, wouldn't it be easier if you occasionally used your brain?

In the latest blog post Teri shares the earth-shattering news that she keeps a master ingredient list for holiday meals on the computer.  Imagine!  Does she have recipes saved too because no-one would ever have thought of that in a million years.

Of course this means that if "some" switch their preferences from hamburger buns to lettuce wraps it takes a couple of years to update the master ingredient list.  So ingredients are missed and unscheduled visits to the store for iceberg lettuce are made.  Teri, sweetie, wouldn't it be easier if you occasionally used your brain?

Regarding Teri's latest post, "picnic eggs". Seriously? Also I think we all know Teri turned off her brain over a decade ago and couldn't be happier with not thinking.

I grew up in a pretty conservative evangelical church and while I don't recall hearing 'picnic eggs' in place of 'deviled eggs', I did know a church lady who refused to call devil's food cake and instead called it heavenly cocoa cake. :crazy:

If someone used the term "picnic eggs" out of the blue, I wouldn't know what in hell they were talking about.  I would make them spell it out.  "Why, I have never had Picnic Eggs.  They sound so interesting and unique.  Did you invent them?" And then when they told me how they were made I would make a big point of saying, "Oh!  You mean deviled eggs. I'm so disappointed, I thought you had invented a brand new dish."

Holy crap, is that why she calls them "picnic eggs"? Because she doesn't want to say "deviled"? I just thought it was a Midwestern term. 

I wonder if they're allowed to use Dirt Devil vacuum cleaners or if it's Dyson's only for their household. 

What exactly are picnic eggs in the US?

Here in the UK, picnic eggs (also scotch eggs) are either a whole boiled egg, or a spoon of chopped boiled egg, wrapped in sausagemeat, then rolled in breadcrumbs,  before baking. Usually the whole egg ones are called Scotch eggs, and the smaller ones are called picnic eggs, because they are bite sized. But both are portable stocky items that could easily be wrapped to go on a picnic.

Devilled eggs are boiled eggs, sliced in half, with the yolk removed, mashed with mayo and seasonings, and then spooned back into the egge white halves.  No sausages or breadcrumbs involved, just Satan's own egg masher. But they are more messy and so are likely to be served on a plate as an appetiser, not packed in a tupperware box and slung in a rucksack. 

Holy crap, is that why she calls them "picnic eggs"? Because she doesn't want to say "deviled"? I just thought it was a Midwestern term. 

I wonder if they're allowed to use Dirt Devil vacuum cleaners or if it's Dyson's only for their household. 

They would obviously strike through the word "dirt" with a marker pen, so as not to stir up unhealthy images in the chidults' minds.  ;)

The Duggars won't say," deviled eggs, " either! I can't remember what they call them, but I remember rolling my eyes during an old episode. 

It took her years of sobbing through the first day of school before it occurred to her to start her prep ahead of time, so probably changing the schedule is never the first option in Maxhell. Changing the shopping list must fall in the same category: it has to inconvenience them for a LONG time before they'll consider adjusting how they do things.

If someone used the term "picnic eggs" out of the blue, I wouldn't know what in hell they were talking about.  I would make them spell it out.  "Why, I have never had Picnic Eggs.  They sound so interesting and unique.  Did you invent them?" And then when they told me how they were made I would make a big point of saying, "Oh!  You mean deviled eggs. I'm so disappointed, I thought you had invented a brand new dish."

hell- I didn't know what any of you were talking about until someone spelled it out. So they must not say potluck either. :kitty-cussing:

Indeed. My eyes were rolling in my head like a slot machine once I figured out what she was talking about.

It's definitely not a Midwestern term. At least not in the greater Chicago area. I like where someone asked what picnic eggs where and she refereed them to Google rather than saying deviled eggs. Seriously.

Heck, I wonder what they call Dust Devils?  Land spouts? Teeny-weeny tornadoes?  Nothing?

I wonder what they'd call this little devil:

250px-Sarcophilus_harrisii_taranna.jpg

Sarcophilus harrisii, I supppose.

Dammit. Now I want to go home and make some deviled eggs. Mine look all fancy: I cut the eggs in half with a crinkle-cutter, then whip up the filling in the food processor. Then I put the filling into a disposable decorating tube and pipe rosettes into the egg whites. (It's way easier and neater than using a spoon.) I also have a handy plastic deviled egg caddy with wells that keep the eggs from sliding around and a nice tight lid to keep them fresh.

Oh my!  Hane.  You take your deviled eggs seriously.

I used to add chopped pickled jalapeno peppers to my eggs but recently I've started adding (Japanese) pickled sushi ginger.  I love ginger and this adds just the right sour/sweet combo.

hell- I didn't know what any of you were talking about until someone spelled it out. So they must not say potluck either. :kitty-cussing:

Ugh! This is absolutely maddening: just yesterday I was on someone's blog and in the right sidebar there were brief instructions about a potluck dinner at the church, but is wasn't called potluck, it was pot...something and I can't remember what the word was or where I saw it! I wasn't that many places yesterday and I've already checked the ones I was at. Of course a word that's the opposite of luck was used in place of it. Pot... I'm going to tear my hair out! And your post immediately came to mind when I saw it! Where's the head-banging emoticon?!?

Ugh! This is absolutely maddening: just yesterday I was on someone's blog and in the right sidebar there were brief instructions about a potluck dinner at the church, but is wasn't called potluck, it was pot...something and I can't remember what the word was or where I saw it! I wasn't that many places yesterday and I've already checked the ones I was at. Of course a word that's the opposite of luck was used in place of it. Pot... I'm going to tear my hair out! And your post immediately came to mind when I saw it! Where's the head-banging emoticon?!?

@Seven Severn  here are a couple options (I searched for "bang"    :bangheaddesk:             :angry-banghead:               :head-desk:

Pot providence?  Pot blessing?

I have seen "Potblessing" a couple times but of course I thought of :obscene-smokingweed: not a church activity when I read it. These people are nuts.

If people don't want to say potluck, why not call the supper a covered-dish or a hot dish supper instead of a "pot providence" or "pot blessing"? Those are pretty traditional and avoid something stupid.

@Seven Severn  here are a couple options (I searched for "bang"    :bangheaddesk:             :angry-banghead:               :head-desk:

I have seen "Potblessing" a couple times but of course I thought of :obscene-smokingweed: not a church activity when I read it. These people are nuts.

Now that it's had time to stew/marinate/fester, I think it might have been potfaith. A potfaith dinner. Whatever. Nuts is right. :angry-banghead:

Thanks for the headbanging choices!

Archived