IGNORED

Texas Case Mulls Whether Home Schooled Kids Have to Learn Anything

ladymissdiva

I remember back in the early and mid-seventies there were Jehovah's Witnesses who did not attend college because the world was going to end in 1975. I think they believe that Jesus is coming back to live on the earth for a thousand years with the faithful. There was no point in wasting time, effort, and money when there would be no need for an education.

The Bible says no one knows when Jesus will come again, so why do some people think they know? Since you don't, educate your children!

What's the harm in knowing maths, history and geography when you're raptured? It gives you something to talk about during that long eternity in heaven.

It's Texas so nothing will happen. They will claim persecution.  

I don't understand how home schoolers get away with bs like this. As a homeschool aka online school mom, my state has the strictest homeschool laws in the country. I also can't imagine making my kids dumb. My 19yo just graduated from homeschool (online school) and is now a freshman in college with tons of AP, college,honors, and CLEP credits. Which is the reason why she was home schooled a better education

Nope. He can't read. Not well at least. We had a sign up that said "believe" around Christmas last year and he asked me what it said. It's a long story but, basically my SIL is an high school drop out who has no kind of background that would justify being an educator. She had severe anxiety and depression and wanted her kids home with her all day. They have no schedule, sleep until 3-4pm and play video/computer games all day. It terrible but, there's no recourse. I contacted CPS and she said they don't handle anything to do with education.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i know of a situation like that and the dad is the stay-at-home parent.  The crazy runs deep in this family.  Frankly both the parents need to reported for child neglect.

I remember back in the early and mid-seventies there were Jehovah's Witnesses who did not attend college because the world was going to end in 1975. I think they believe that Jesus is coming back to live on the earth for a thousand years with the faithful. There was no point in wasting time, effort, and money when there would be no need for an education.

The Bible says no one knows when Jesus will come again, so why do some people think they know? Since you don't, educate your children!

Yet if you mention this to a JW they will deny it ever happened. I've worked with two and they both deny that the church stated the world was coming to an end. They attribute it to a few overzealous brothers from a couple of congregations. :pb_confused:

I had to look this up and http://articles.titus2.com/whose-mouth-is-it/

oh my gosh what a toxic person...

Yes of course, if you recognize that your kids are their own person and will some day be expected to have their own opinions,  it will lead to complete anarchy...

I couldn't fucking finish reading that. I found it horrifying. Actually horrifying.

I think of parenting or educating a kid in terms of scaffolding (putting those grad school classes to use, haha): no, you're not going to give your kid complete, anarchic autonomy to let them do whatever they want. That would be stupid. And dangerous. But you need to gradually loosen the reins and relinquish control as your child gains the knowledge, skills, and judgment they need to become more autonomous. Soon, they won't need quite as many specific rules, or need to ask you permission to do things, because they'll be ready to do stuff on their own and make informed choices about their actions, needs, and wants. Your rules and guidance should be there to support your kid and give them a framework until they're ready to function with those things in mind, but without you breathing down their neck. But that would mean recognizing your child's inherent worth and capability as a separate human being, and we simply can't have that in Maxhell.

It's like he's got no sense of proportion. It's all black and white, all or nothing, total extremes and nothing in between. Either everything is controlled by the parents, or nothing is. Strict tyranny, or complete chaos. Children can't express any opinions, or the parents can't influence them at all. 

It's like he's got no sense of proportion. It's all black and white, all or nothing, total extremes and nothing in between. Either everything is controlled by the parents, or nothing is. Strict tyranny, or complete chaos. Children can't express any opinions, or the parents can't influence them at all. 

Can you imagine a meeting between Steve and Sparkling Lauren? Opposite ends of the parenting spectrum but both are extreme and I'm not sure which one is worse (although I tip towards Steve). It would be like matter meeting anti-matter. The universe would explode.

Can you imagine a meeting between Steve and Sparkling Lauren? Opposite ends of the parenting spectrum but both are extreme and I'm not sure which one is worse (although I tip towards Steve). It would be like matter meeting anti-matter. The universe would explode.

Ha!  I was thinking the exact same thing.  I'd rather be Lauren's kid but it'd be a close call.

Yet if you mention this to a JW they will deny it ever happened. I've worked with two and they both deny that the church stated the world was coming to an end. They attribute it to a few overzealous brothers from a couple of congregations. :pb_confused:

The JWs have had several end-of-the-world dates that have come and gone. Each time it happens there is a new "revelation" that the end time is not here yet, or......something. But I remember being in college and knowing JW kids who did not go because they would not have graduated by 1975, so no point. Sad. I always wondered if they were able to go later, when it was apparent that the world had continued.

They weren't waiting for the rapture but one of my sons first adoptive family did exactly this. They homeschooled when the oldest children were young, enough for those children to learn to read. All children who hadn't learned to read when the special needs child was born were never educated, including my son.

He was dumped at my doorstep two weeks shy of 15, having lived with them for 4 years and unable to read, write or do basic math.

We lived in a state with significant oversight to homeschooling and I was still homeschooling several children. My school system reported them to CPS for educational neglect and they did nothing

At least I can report that while it's been a long, hard journey for my son, he's a HS junior, making As and Bs and will have his diploma next year.

I cannot say enough good things about the educators who took on this traumatized, uneducated teenage and have given him a childhood of education in the few years they had left. HS teachers are not used to teaching basic skills but they have done exactly that for him.

Well, isn't that what Steve thinks everyone who doesn't do things his way is like?  Such a meeting would only serve to validate his belief that only the two ends of the spectrum exist, with nothing in between.

Archived