IGNORED

Texas Case Mulls Whether Home Schooled Kids Have to Learn Anything

ladymissdiva

http://www.krgv.com/news/local-news/Texas-Case-Mulls-if-Home-school-Kids-Have-to-Learn-Something/36190388

The parents are accused of not teaching their children because the were "waiting to be raptured."

The family has nine children. They refused to provide any information about their curriculum when asked, instead filing a lawsuit which appeared to assert "a fundamental right to be free of any state supervision or regulation concerning whatever education they choose to provide to their children in their home."

The grandparents reached out to the school district and expressed concerns that their grandchildren were not attending school or otherwise receiving a proper education."

When truancy charges were filed, the parents lawyered up behind the Home School Legal Defense Association, a legal advocacy group that collects hefty dues from its members in exchange for legal services if they get into to trouble.

The HSLDA, a "social welfare" nonprofit with an annual budget of over 10 million dollars, sent a letter to the school board claiming that the McIntyres were “in full compliance.” Despite this claim, the court of appeals later found that "The letter did not reflect that the attorney was licensed in Texas, or had any personal knowledge of the educational studies occurring in the McIntyre home."

Although the truancy charges were later dropped, leading the HSLDA to "praise God for this victory", the McIntyres continued their lawsuit. The court ruled against them, noting that the Texas Supreme Court has "specifically authorized inquiries into the curriculum of home schools" and that parents do not have an "absolute constitutional right to educate their children in the home, completely free of any state supervision, regulation, or requirements."

In my opinion, these parents are abusing their children and should be required to provide them with a proper education. I can't wait to hear the opinions of the all-Republican Texas Supreme Court.

this is texas so i would be surprised if anything happens.

I live in Texas and I totally agree.

I grew up in Texas and I agree, I doubt much will be done. Unfortunately, many conservative lawmakers and officials are consistently voted into office and they'd hate to offend their older and more religiously conservative constituents by "quashing the rights" of some oh-so-Christian homeschoolers. 

Dear stupid parents (not just fundies)

Your child has constitutional rights as citizens of the USA. As such, the government (state and federal) has a responsibility to ensure that your child's rights are not be violating. While you have the right of to decidde how your child is educate, it is the duty of the government to ensure that an education is taking place. Protecting our rights is kind of the government's job. Your child doesn't belong to you. Your child doen't belong to the government, either. Ideally, you and government are supposed to work together to ensure your child's rights are respected. But when you can't do that, it is the duty of the government to step in. Get over it and we'll all be happier.

Sincerely,

Everyone who isn't stupid

I think the right to homeschool should be defended to the end. But this can only be done if proper requirements are in place. If not, the crazies will ruin it for everyone and homeschooling will be banned because some can't handle their freedom.

So basically, in order for responsible parents to keep the right to homeschool, this right should be taken from those who refuse to do a proper job. That is why I think the HSLDA should not back these people up.

I think the right to homeschool should be defended to the end. But this can only be done if proper requirements are in place. If not, the crazies will ruin it for everyone and homeschooling will be banned because some can't handle their freedom.

So basically, in order for responsible parents to keep the right to homeschool, this right should be taken from those who refuse to do a proper job. That is why I think the HSLDA should not back these people up.

If it is true and they really are not doing anything to educate their kids, then nobody should back them up.  They are just giving legitimate homeschoolers a bad name.

Was anybody surprised that this happened in Texas? Anybody??? (crickets)

I know from personal experience, there is 0 regulation of Texas homeschoolers. My SIL home "schools" my nephews and by that I mean she has registered as a homeschooler and lets them do whatever they want. No tests. No regulation. Her 11 year old can't read.

I know from personal experience, there is 0 regulation of Texas homeschoolers. My SIL home "schools" my nephews and by that I mean she has registered as a homeschooler and lets them do whatever they want. No tests. No regulation. Her 11 year old can't read.

He can't read? I always thought the great thing about homeschooling is that you teach your kids to read and then they can (with proper encouragement and resources) basically educate themselves. If your kids don't read then what do they do all day? You make your life as mum a lot harder...

Nope. He can't read. Not well at least. We had a sign up that said "believe" around Christmas last year and he asked me what it said. It's a long story but, basically my SIL is an high school drop out who has no kind of background that would justify being an educator. She had severe anxiety and depression and wanted her kids home with her all day. They have no schedule, sleep until 3-4pm and play video/computer games all day. It terrible but, there's no recourse. I contacted CPS and she said they don't handle anything to do with education.

That's terrible. I would hope something would be done to ensure the kids are educated, but I doubt that will happen. Maybe in 20 years, the kids can sue the state for failing to ensure they received an education. 

My brother is their step dad and he goes along with whatever SIL says because they are her kids from prior relationships. I have reached out to all my resources trying to get these kids help. My family has offered to help in educating them or driving them to a charter school (she claims schools are unsafe due to mass shootings) but, she insists she is doing fine.

On 11/1/2015 at 6:35 PM, Ampak said:

See, this is the kind of story that scares me. Does she not care that her kids can't read? How will they function as adults when she isn't around to care for them? I absolutely believe that homeschooling should be legal, but there should also be standards. One of my co-workers' wives is homeschooling their three boys using workbooks from Dollar Tree and 25 year old encyclopedias. They claim the kids will be fine as long as they have "the basics." I consider this a form of child abuse.

I don't understand why it's so hard for some people. There is online school. It is free. Children graduate with an actual diploma, not just a GED. If the problem is brick and mortar schools, there are other options. I'm not at all qualified to educate. I am, however perfectly qualified to help with schoolwork, make sure it gets done, and be a total PITA until it does get done if necessary. I get that crazy religious types want a "bible based" curriculum (they are supremely misguided, but at least want curriculum), but to blame school shootings for not doing it at all is a total cop-out. It really doesn't require THAT much effort on my part. I have to stay on top of it to make sure everything's done and answer questions (just like I do with homework for my public school child). My son needs homeschooling. He doesn't do well in a school setting. He was constantly on edge and sullen. Now he's back to being a goofy kid again (with the normal teenage argumentative attitude). If people like this make it so that I can no longer do what's best for my son... It's really frustrating to see stuff like this.

HSLDA will pretty much back up any shitty parent who wants to use homeschooling as an excuse to do anything to their kids.  Their goal is not to protect children, but to protect parents. The HSLDA has supported some really, really bad parents. They praised a guy who kept a child locked in a cage as being a "hero". I read an article not long ago about how they have used their power to do away with many of the protections for homeschooled children. 

Wasn't Dougie the Tool associated with the HSLDA at one point? 

"a fundamental right to be free of any state supervision or regulation concerning whatever education they choose to provide to their children in their home."

I know the US didn't ratify the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child (putting us in fine company with Somalia), but one of the rights enshrined in that Convention is "States Parties recognize the right of the child to education...States Parties agree that the education of the child shall be directed to: (a) The development of the child's personality, talents and mental and physical abilities to their fullest potential...No part of the present article or article 28 shall be construed so as to interfere with the liberty of individuals and bodies to establish and direct educational institutions, subject always to the observance of the principle set forth in paragraph 1 of the present article and to the requirements that the education given in such institutions shall conform to such minimum standards as may be laid down by the State."

If you're not educating your children to even a basic, minimum level, you are denying them of a fundamental human right. You are denying your child of their very humanity and autonomy.

I was "homeschooled" in Texas. My parents never taught me a thing, they both worked full time so I stayed home alone and watched TV all day. I was very lucky to have gone to public school until 3rd grade, so I could at least read. There are no regulations in Texas. When I turned 17 my mother declared me graduated and created a diploma in Word. All completely legal.

It took me years of taking the most basic remedial classes at the local community college to catch up. I couldn't multiply, had never written an essay. I think parents that do this kind of thing really neglecting their children, there should be oversight of homeschoolers. Children should be entitled to a basic education. 

Yeah, it happens and it is wrong. That said, it happens elsewhere, too. Probably less in private schools. I've worked with some very, very poorly public-schooled kids in the workforce, too. The best answer would be to provide for specific checks on specific kids where there is reasonable suspicion of negligence in my opinion. I was homeschooled and could pass the standardized tests just fine WITHOUT studying "for the test" and my parents had me take some just for peace of mind. I've known homeschooled families - even at BCA - where the kids are probably significantly hampered by lack of proper schooling, and that stinks for the kids. Most of them are pretty easy to spot, though, so a basic, "hey, come in and take a free test on basic stuff" should suffice.

Nope. He can't read. Not well at least. We had a sign up that said "believe" around Christmas last year and he asked me what it said. It's a long story but, basically my SIL is an high school drop out who has no kind of background that would justify being an educator. She had severe anxiety and depression and wanted her kids home with her all day. They have no schedule, sleep until 3-4pm and play video/computer games all day. It terrible but, there's no recourse. I contacted CPS and she said they don't handle anything to do with education.

This is terrible.  Those poor kids.  

But it sounds like Texas! If they're not ignoring the educational neglect of some homeschoolers, they're working to whitewash history through politicized textbooks: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/06/us/publisher-promises-revisions-after-textbook-refers-to-african-slaves-as-workers.html

Children should have autonomy? What a novel idea.

You just reminded me of Stevhovah's rant when the orthodontist dared to ask Mary's opinion regarding her braces. That doctor undermined a lifetime of work to destroy any sparkle of autonomy!  How did he dare!

I don't understand why it's so hard for some people. There is online school. It is free. Children graduate with an actual diploma, not just a GED. If the problem is brick and mortar schools, there are other options. I'm not at all qualified to educate. I am, however perfectly qualified to help with schoolwork, make sure it gets done, and be a total PITA until it does get done if necessary. I get that crazy religious types want a "bible based" curriculum (they are supremely misguided, but at least want curriculum), but to blame school shootings for not doing it at all is a total cop-out. It really doesn't require THAT much effort on my part. I have to stay on top of it to make sure everything's done and answer questions (just like I do with homework for my public school child). My son needs homeschooling. He doesn't do well in a school setting. He was constantly on edge and sullen. Now he's back to being a goofy kid again (with the normal teenage argumentative attitude). If people like this make it so that I can no longer do what's best for my son... It's really frustrating to see stuff like this.

Just ftr, not every state offers free online schooling.

But that still doesn't excuse parents from educational neglect. I homeschooled my kids for seven years (and am still HSing the third for one more year), and there are PLENTY of educational resources available out there for free or low cost. There is simply no excuse beyond laziness or deliberate neglect for not educating your child properly. Hell, one of my kids managed to get into a free (FREE!) science class through a world-class private university. Not a dime out of my pocket and practically no effort, either. You just have to actually CARE. 

It pisses me off that these "HSers," or so-called HSers, are ruining it for the rest of us, who actually ARE trying to do right by our kids. 

You just reminded me of Stevhovah's rant when the orthodontist dared to ask Mary's opinion regarding her braces. That doctor undermined a lifetime of work to destroy any sparkle of autonomy!  How did he dare!

I had to look this up and http://articles.titus2.com/whose-mouth-is-it/

Imagine for a minute what it would be like in your home if instead of teaching your young children to listen to your direction and instruction, you encouraged them that they were their own person. They should make their own decisions as long as they abide by the law. Think about the havoc it would wreck on their lives and your home.

oh my gosh what a toxic person...

Yes of course, if you recognize that your kids are their own person and will some day be expected to have their own opinions,  it will lead to complete anarchy...

Archived