IGNORED

Miss Raquel is writing "another" novel.

xRoo

Raquel just posted a blog that she will be participating in NaNoWriMo.  

The synopsis sounds very 50 Shades of Raquel already.

Title: I Cannot Fathom

Main Characters:
Fathom Brooks
Xaquerie Niven
James Bowen

Synopsis:

Fathom Brooks is a recent graduate with a journalism degree and is eager to begin her career after just getting accepted as an intern reporter at one of the city's largest newspapers.  But no sooner does her job begin that she suddenly receives a mysterious package from an anonymous sender.  Inside the package is the first chapter of a story.  A story that will only continue in being sent to her if she chooses to accept the mission that the anonymous writer is sending her on: to edit the chapters and publish them in her column at the paper.  Once she agrees to it, Fathom receives a chapter a week in the months to follow, until the last chapter bears a threatening message.  

She is posting under the username LiteraryRaindrop. Has anyone used the NaNoWrimo website before? Does that mean we will get to follow her novel's progress daily?

Also: if this stuff does get posted daily, do we think she'll be able to live without getting feedback on social media? Will she break her Sabbatical? I suppose people praising her on the NaNoWriMo website wouldn't count?

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if there will be a return of the ferret penis?  

I don't think Raquel has self-discipline and patience to write 50,000 words in a month. Nah,she will give up mid-November. 

I'm still trying to decide if I want to do NaNoWriMo this year. And it starts in six hours. :pb_biggrin:

I wonder how long it took her to come up with Xaquerie....

I bet it's the most productive thing she's done since finding the miraculous day planner that starts in September.

I wonder if there will be a return of the Orange Mystical ferret penis?  

fixed it for you.

I can only dream that he will reappear in one of her fictionals at some point /swoon

For the dumb (ie: me) can someone explain what NaNowhatevertheheckitis is?  Thanks in advance.

NaNoWriMo is "National Novel Writing Month" theres a website and people make a promise to write 50,000 words in the month of November. It's a really popular challenge so the idea is all the hype and fellow support and stuff will amp people up to write more than usual.

I wonder how long it took her to come up with Xaquerie....

Same. I liked to experiment with weird spellings of names in all of my "screenplays" I wrote as a preteen. It's been a few years since I have taken a composition course, but part of me wants to edit Raquel's description. And other material she has posted. I need the practice, I have to take a composition course next quarter. 

Raquel really does write like someone middle school/junior high age. I am just surprised that she hasn't gotten somewhat better with all the "writing" she does. Does she read often? Of course, all of her writings are just ramblings and disturbing lists. 

I wonder if Raquel came up with the book title first and then named her heroine or vice versa.  

This summary does not create a desire in me to read this book, due to the characters' precious (ridiculous) names and the author's poor execution.  I could, however, look forward to daily installments here, just to enjoy everyone's comments.

(She's just a silly young lady, really. Not sure why she has followers.)

(@Cats B4 Quivers, I enjoy seeing our catvatars lined up like that but, if yours thinks mine feels threatened by his/her menacing countenance, that is evidently not the case. Yours is clearly boring mine to no end. Nice try.)

I'm not sure Xaquerie is a character, it could be the drugs that everyone is taking to get some sleep.

Is the main heroine dark haired, dark eyed  wanna-be-fundie in her 20s still living with her parents and dreaming about a perfect prince?

OMG annother Fictional by Raquel? And the characters are named Fathom and Xaquerie?!

This is going to be spectacuraly wonderful.

Does anyone remember the last fictional Racqel wrote (basically antichoice propaganda) along with a FJ poster who re wrote the book with realistic dialogue, better character development

NaNoWriMo is "National Novel Writing Month" theres a website and people make a promise to write 50,000 words in the month of November. It's a really popular challenge so the idea is all the hype and fellow support and stuff will amp people up to write more than usual.

I wouldn't call it a promise so much as a quest.  Hi, I nanowrimo.  

OMG annother Fictional by Raquel? And the characters are named Fathom and Xaquerie?!

Does anyone remember the last fictional Racqel wrote (basically antichoice propaganda) along with a FJ poster who re wrote the book with realistic dialogue, better character development

I don't see how that can be done with this one. I mean, if someone sent me a chapter and said "Edit and publish this, or I won't give the rest" my response would be to line the litter box with the pages. 

It's a real Raquel fantasy. She's an intern who is given a column that she apparently can do whatever she wants with, and she doesn't even have to write it. Someone else does that for her.

That was me, and I had my heroine decide to have a medical abortion. It would have been equally plausible to have her decide to give birth, but I wanted to try the experience of having a character choose to end a pregnancy as a life choice and not a morally fraught act.

OT: I love all the catvatars lined in this thread, true snarky personalities.

Those character names are sure interesting... nothing wrong with having a project to pursue, though. 

For some reason the 1st sentence in the novel description made me think of 50 Shades of Grey. Isn't the girl in that like a journalism student or something? 

OT: Is NaNoWriMo really helpful? If anyone who's done it before wants to PM me and let me know what they thought... I'm considering trying it this year.

I cannot fathom how she came up with those names.

I've never participated in NaNoWriMo.  Actually this is probably the first time I've thought about it at the beginning of the month rather than noticing it's over at the end.  But I'm usually writing one or more things (mostly fanfics), so I've never considered that I might need some extra incentive to write.

I don't see how that can be done with this one. I mean, if someone sent me a chapter and said "Edit and publish this, or I won't give the rest" my response would be to line the litter box with the pages. 

It's a real Raquel fantasy. She's an intern who is given a column that she apparently can do whatever she wants with, and she doesn't even have to write it. Someone else does that for her.

I was about to say that while it's fine if novels take some flights of fancy, an intern at a newspaper, especially a large one, would likely be grinding away at stories about drunk people getting arrested for indecent exposure at Wal-Mart or people teaching squirrels how to do tricks. Though I'm sure Fathom is SUPER-SPECIAL and is SUCH AN AMAZING WRITER (though of course we will never see examples of her work, only praise from everyone who reads it) that she gets a whole column and becomes the next Peggy Noonan immediately after her job interview.

Again, it's OK if novels have a little wish fulfillment -- James Bond would be incredibly boring if it were about a handsome MI6 agent who spends his whole day translating telegraphs and combing through surveillance negatives, and Tamora Pierce novels would be like watching paint dry if they were just talking about Alanna maintaining her armor and feeding/grooming her horse all day -- but I do get annoyed when characters get to do SOOPER SPECIAL things without earning it (I suppose in this context, nepotism and blowing your boss count as ways to earn it, because at least those are plausible explanations) or showing the reader why they'd get such an exceptional job/privilege -- or worse, inadvertently showing the character to be lazy, incompetent, unqualified, and unmotivated when they're supposed to be so awesome that they get to have a super glamorous cool job.

How is her editor going to react? He/she is never going to say, hey, write about this topic  in your column next time?  Is he/she going to be okay that the brand new intern publishes a random continuing story that was ghostwritten by some strange unknown character for strange unknown reasons and which is completely unpredictable as you don't know how it will end and if you even get the next chapter next week after all?

I'd be thinking that the intern is trying to sneaky-publish her new novel that got rejected by all the major publishers using my magazine in a publicity stunt.

Those character names are sure interesting... nothing wrong with having a project to pursue, though. 

For some reason the 1st sentence in the novel description made me think of 50 Shades of Grey. Isn't the girl in that like a journalism student or something? 

OT: Is NaNoWriMo really helpful? If anyone who's done it before wants to PM me and let me know what they thought... I'm considering trying it this year.

I think it can be. It goes best if you have things outlined ahead of time or are adding to an already existing story. I had a hard time because I didn't really know where I was going with my story and that was annoying. But I did it more to support a family member who was also working on a novel than anything else.. solidarity and community are super helpful in NaNoWriMo. 

• keen23 locked this topic

Archived