IGNORED

Favorite Scary Movies

roddma

Glad to see this thread active again as I've been on a major horror movie kick this month.

Newly infatuated with The Conjuring universe films - watched the first one on Netflix and was instantly hooked.  I thought it was really well done.  Immediately went and got The Conjuring 2 at the library and loved that one too.  By the time I figured out The Nun was connected to these it was already gone from my local theater, but I imagine it will be out on DVD soon.  Valak is the creepiest damn thing I've seen in a movie in decades; kudos to whoever designed the makeup.

All-time favorites:

The Exorcist

The Shining

Silence of the Lambs

Halloween (the original)

Alien (I agree with John Landis who said Alien is not sci-fi, it's gothic horror)

Jaws (although I love Jaws so much I don't really consider it horror, it's in my top five favorite movies period)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh boy, do I love horror movies! My favorite for decades was the original “Halloween.” I still love that movie very much, but a movie that came out this year that absolutely knocked my socks off was, “Hereditary.” I can’t sing it’s praises enough. The acting, directing, writing, cinematography... everything about this movie is amazing. It is the closest I have seen to a perfect movie in a very long time. It is old school horror heavy on the feeling of dread. My kind of movie! 

• 1 month later...

Has anyone seen "Bird Box" yet?  For some reason even the previews seem too scary for me, but I'd like to see it eventually.   Comments, even spoilers, welcome. 

20 hours ago, CTRLZero said:

Has anyone seen "Bird Box" yet?  For some reason even the previews seem too scary for me, but I'd like to see it eventually.   Comments, even spoilers, welcome. 

I liked it okay enough. Not as good as “A Quiet Place” and imho not visually scary. It’s more ambience, tension. I was pretty “meh” about it, but I love horror, thrillers, scary anything and will watch something at least once. 

I haven’t read the book it’s based on either. 

I watched something really creepy on Netflix called “The Boy” recently. I’m working through the Annabelle and Conjuring movies in order. Also trying to finish Shirley Jackson’s Haunting of Hill House it’s really good. I’ve recently watched the 1963 version and loved it. I’ll go back to the Netflix series after the book. 

I guess that was more than you asked for! It’s worth watching and along the lines of “The Happening” by M Night.

2 minutes ago, DancingPhalanges said:

I liked it okay enough. Not as good as “A Quiet Place” and imho not visually scary. It’s more ambience, tension. I was pretty “meh” about it, but I love horror, thrillers, scary anything and will watch something at least once. 

Thank you!  I'll watch it soon.  The only reason I have hesitated is because of the little kids shown in the preview.  I sometimes can't take little kids being put in harm's way.

We watched the Black Mirror segment "Bandersnatch" last night on Netflix.  We chose every option offered.  It was gimmicky, but several of the scenes were surprising.

I'll have to check out "The Boy," and I am looking forward to eventually watching "A Quiet Place."   I recently watched "The Conjuring."  Didn't know it had sequels, so I'll have to take a look.

8 minutes ago, CTRLZero said:

Thank you!  I'll watch it soon.  The only reason I have hesitated is because of the little kids shown in the preview.  I sometimes can't take little kids being put in harm's way.

We watched the Black Mirror segment "Bandersnatch" last night on Netflix.  We chose every option offered.  It was gimmicky, but several of the scenes were surprising.

I'll have to check out "The Boy," and I am looking forward to eventually watching "A Quiet Place."   I recently watched "The Conjuring."  Didn't know it had sequels, so I'll have to take a look.

Spoiler 

Spoiler

The kids make it through 

Have you ever seen Pride and Prejudice and Zombies?! I loved it. A keen eye will have you laughing at scenes that are condensed from six scenes to one (I’m referencing the Colin Firth/Jennifer Ehle version). I think I loved it because I’m a fan and recognized the fun the movie had with the story. 

7 minutes ago, DancingPhalanges said:

Have you ever seen Pride and Prejudice and Zombies?! I

This brings back memories!  I was heavily involved in a Jane Austen group and have seen the Firth/Ehle version a zillion times.  When Pride and Prejudice and Zombies came out as a book, I bought it just for the sheer weirdness of it.  I'll add the movie to my list.  :zombie:

5 minutes ago, CTRLZero said:

This brings back memories!  I was heavily involved in a Jane Austen group and have seen the Firth/Ehle version a zillion times.  When Pride and Prejudice and Zombies came out as a book, I bought it just for the sheer weirdness of it.  I'll add the movie to my list.  :zombie:

I’ll have to add the book to my list! Honestly, you said it perfectly. I loved the movie because it was so weird and weirdly reminiscent of the Firth/Ehle movie (also seen a zillion times). I’m going to get the book ASAP.

Not enough time for my movie/book list. 

Time I wish I could get back? I watched The Belko Experiment and it was terrible. No real story and tons of gratuitous violence.

Halloween

Nightmare on Elm Street

Child’s Play - Chucky freaks me out and I love him. This whole franchise is maybe my favorite. It remains helmed by the creator and is so freaking weird at this point. It’s probably why I can’t handle reborn dolls.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Psycho

Suspiria

Rosemary’s Baby (I can’t put Polanski aside any longer but the movie remains creepy.)

Invasion of the Body Snatchers b/w

There is an episode of a show called Masters of Horror called Cigarette Burns

The episode of the Golden Girls when Blanche gets a pacemaker. That, at age 11, possibly around the same time I started heavy horror film viewing, was when I had the revelation of death. I am reminded of it whenever I catch a repeat.

Gremlins, The wolf in The Neverending Story

If it creeped me out sufficiently the first time I can recreate the feeling no matter how many times I have seen it.

It’s quite difficult to get there these days.

I was quite disappointed with Pride and Prejudice and Zombies - movie, after reading the book first.  It missed out my favourite moment in the book: 

Spoiler

When Elizabeth goes to visit Charlotte Lucas, and Charlotte is just turning into a Zombie - she shovels piles of leaves into her mouth.  I found it hilarious

It's difficult to pin down my favourite scary movies, so in no particular order: 

The Woman in Black 
The Conjuring 1 and 2
The Visit 
Some of the Insidious series (can't think which ones... it's too early in the morning)

.. and now my mind has shut down whilst opening my work emails... I will have to come back to it later (when I've looked at my sky-planner at home :p) 

• 2 months later...

Lake Placid.

One has not lived until one hears Betty White telling a cop that if she had a dick this is where she would tell him to suck it.  Along with calling the same cop Officer Fuckmeat.

OfficerFornicateMeat.png.fa54a36ae83e0d2772c5433be2cd008d.png

Archived