IGNORED

Favorite Scary Movies

roddma

I'm surprised nobody mentioned The Conjuring. I forgot that on my list as well. It was pretty decent.

I recently watched the spinoff Annabelle. It was alright, it kept my attention throughout and I would definitely watch it again. Not near as good as The Conjurong though.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Curious,

Very similar for me. I was a sensitive, anxious child and even the sewer scene with the rats n Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade freaked me out. At 14.

These day, not much bothers me with movies. Except for The Thing. I can not get past the scene with the dogs. I love dogs. That scene makes me want to cry.

Curious and Terrie:  Me, too!  When I was 8 I was staying over at my aunt's house, and she did not monitor anything her kids (my cousins--roughly the same age as me at the time) watched. They were watching "Phantasm" on HBO (not cable--it was back when HBO came in through an antenna on your roof).

I now regard "Phantasm" as a cheesy movie, but to an 8-year-old, that "Tall Man" and those little robed figures that looked like demonic Jawas were utterly terrifying--not to mention the metal ball with blades that would chase people through the mortuary and lodge in their skulls, exsanguinating them in roughly 30 seconds.

To quote someone above, the 8-year-old me said, "HAIL NAW!" and I wouldn't sleep in my own room for literally 3 months after that. My mom was really thrilled (not!) and was pissed at her sister for a long time after that.

These day, not much bothers me with movies. Except for The Thing. I can not get past the scene with the dogs. I love dogs. That scene makes me want to cry.

This is actually one of my favorite horror movies. Carpenter is masterful at building up an atmosphere of suspense and paranoia that just totally works in that film. And I love his music.

But, yes. Those poor dogs. :(

Mine is The Exorcist.

I don't know the name (it wasn't Christine), but I was scarred at the drive-in when I was a very young child. Back then they would show two movies, one for kids and right after one for adults. I was always in my pj's and sacked out before the second movie--except for one time.

My parents didn't look in the backseat to see if I was asleep, so I stared, scared into silence, as I watched a demonic car swipe bicyclists off cliffs and run down hapless pedestrians. The only safe place was a graveyard, because of the Holy ground. The film ended with the heroine being run down in her house after thinking the horror was over.

Afterward, my parents looked back at me, surprised to see me sitting there, traumatized. My mom asked, "Honey, do you want to talk about what you just saw?". No, no mom, I don't want to talk about it.

Hands down my favories are Spider Baby  (not really about spiders, don´t let the title fool you) and -as a avid hiker and climber- Blutgletscher/Blood Glacier.

I also really like The Others with Nicole Kidman, because of the atmosphere of that film. For funsies, Tales From The Crypt, the real life 90s version. Gosh, they had some really well thought-out storylines and alot of A-list actors in the series!

What I can´t watch because it would give some serious nightmares and also because it´s just really bad IMHO:

Dawn of the Dead (but Shaun of the Dead is great^^). Hostel, just everything Quentin Tarantino. Seriously, I really really dislike Tarantino. When I was pregnant with my oldest daughter, Mr Nym and I gave a then-popular QT movie a try and we had to get out after like 20 minutes, because it upset me that much I had to leave the room.

• 2 weeks later...

Yay for horror movies! My favorites: The Omen, Suspiria, Dead Silence (lol), The Babadook, The Conjuring, The Skeleton Key and Trick R Treat. Those are the ones I can name off the top of my head, anyway.

Any good recs of horror movies that have spirits and demons, FJ? I'm not really into slashers. They never scare me. 

My faves are oldies:  The Shining with Jack Nicholas and Shelly Duvall and Wait Until Dark with Audrey Hepburn.

What was the name of that movie (within the past five years or so) where the couple set up a video camera in their bedroom to see what was happening while they slept at night and it showed that the wife was getting up and standing by her husband's side of the bed for hours at a time?  That one was scary, IMO.

My faves are oldies:  The Shining with Jack Nicholas and Shelly Duvall and Wait Until Dark with Audrey Hepburn.

What was the name of that movie (within the past five years or so) where the couple set up a video camera in their bedroom to see what was happening while they slept at night and it showed that the wife was getting up and standing by her husband's side of the bed for hours at a time?  That one was scary, IMO.

Paranormal Activity 1?

Yay for horror movies! My favorites: The Omen, Suspiria, Dead Silence (lol), The Babadook, The Conjuring, The Skeleton Key and Trick R Treat. Those are the ones I can name off the top of my head, anyway.

Any good recs of horror movies that have spirits and demons, FJ? I'm not really into slashers. They never scare me. 

Just saw a really good one last night called Last Shift, which was pretty scary/creepy. It's about a rookie cop (a woman, and she was a pretty strong female lead for a typical horror movie) who is left alone to sit the night shift at the old police station while the department is transitioning to the new one down the street.

So, person alone....empty, creepy building....and it goes from there (I don't want to give too much away).

People keep recommending "Let the Right One In." 

I was not scared. I was bored. And I love movies with subtitles and slow pacing. I just was not entertained. 

Not scary movies I liked: Dale & Tucker vs Evil, Cabin in the Woods, Troll Hunter, Rare Exports, Dead Snow. 

I was not scared. I was bored. And I love movies with subtitles and slow pacing. I just was not entertained. 

Not scary movies I liked: Dale & Tucker vs Evil, Cabin in the Woods, Troll Hunter, Rare Exports, Dead Snow. 

I thought I was alone! I hated Let The Right One In. Watched both versions and they both bored me. 

I thought I was alone! I hated Let The Right One In. Watched both versions and they both bored me. 

Is there a Hollywood version? I didn't know that. 

Is there a Hollywood version? I didn't know that. 

Yup, there is a version with Chloe Grace Moretz.

I *loved* Troll Hunter! An excellent, excellent film. I think a Troll Hunter 2 is going to be coming out at some point.  Dale & Tucker was great, and Cabin in the Woods is one of my faves. I haven't seen Rare Exports or Dead Snow, but will put them on my list.

Yup, there is a version with Chloe Grace Moretz.

Personally, I didn't see the need for an America re-make of that movie. It was literally almost a shot-for-shot remake. I don't think that version brought anything to the table, and I much preferred the original.

A Nightmare on Elm Street marathon tomorrow on IFC.  They're showing parts 1-5.  Get the popcorn ready!

Um... we have a Jason :character-jason: emoji but no Freddy?  And this Fred :character-fred: doesn't count :snooty:

• 2 weeks later...

EQ: I think what I found most appealing about The Shrine is my interest in cults. I think this might be a common interest around here. Movies about cults are almost always good, like I mentioned among others before me, the Wickerman. 

Speaking of movies about cults,  I forgot to add The Sacrament to my list. Though it is a fictional story, it is also a direct parody of what happened at The People's Temple at Jonestown. Even the leader in the story has a striking resemblance to Jim Jones. I recommend this one too.

YES. Everyone with Netflix on here needs to check The Sacrament. It's disturbing as described above. But many of us are interested in that sort of disturbing. Quentin Tarantino has cast the guy playing the cult leader in his newest movie. I was delighted by it.

I am of the camp that will watch all of them. I like Hitchcock and the 70s/80s best. But I do Roger Corman. I do creatures. I'm pretty burnt out on the current trends of found footage and torture gore. But - I think Hostel, Saw, and The Blair Witch Project (and maybe the first Paranormal Activity) were possibly the defining pictures of this era. We need something new. 

The Babadook was good. It's one to be watched with lights off and full attention. Occulus was also good.

And what scared me most as a child was Tim Curry as Pennywise in It on tv. I loved him in Rocky Horror though. (We had tv w/ cable in our bedrooms from a young age. A parenting decision that I think may have been a mistake at times)

Also recent - It follows. Its more of a creepy than scary. But more original than most.

• 1 year later...

The Exorcist  (I need to re watch it next month pre Halloween 

Silence of the Lambs 

The Exorcism of Emily Rose

And all of the conjuring franchise movies, I don't know why but I've really enjoyed all of them immensely. The new Annabelle was better than I expected. 

• 3 months later...

I love horror movies and agree with a lot of here. Some others I like are the Tremors franchise, Jennifer's Body, and It Follows, although they straddle genres. I also enjoyed a recent Belgian (I think?) movie called Raw. I think I've watched Cabin In The Woods about 10 times. It's so entertaining. Easily my favorite Joss Whedon movie.

• 9 months later...

The original "The Hills Have Eyes" (I think the mutants eat a baby.  Not cool.  )  These movies seemed to come out when I was doing the same stuff in the plot.

Jaws   I grew up about a mile and a half from the beach and used to go out on a raft with my best friend.  That scene with the boy on the raft?   Yeah.   We didn't do that anymore.

Halloween    I used to babysit.  One of my families had this newfangled thing called cable where you could see a movie right after it was in the theaters.  My mom wouldn't get it.  So, here I am babysitting, watching Halloween on Showtime. Yeah.   That kept me awake until the parents came home.

Friday The 13th  (the original)  Not only was it filmed up at Camp NoBeBoSco in Blairstown,  NJ,  my son went to a camporee there.  Anyhoo, the year it came out, I worked at my camp as a waitress .  Part 2 was filmed across the lake.  (Kent Connecticut)  The actors and crew stayed in the waitress cabins and signed the walls.  (yes, this is the summer camp with the bastard I've spoken of before)  But I digress....

Blair Witch Project   My son was a Cub Scout and a Boy Scout and I have volunteered or was tapped last minute for helping out.  I have had several evenings with a bear snuffling outside my tent, hearing coyotes and wolves howl, ( yes , in NJ) and taken plenty of middle-of-the-night trips into the woods to take care of business.

Remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers     The last scene with Donald Sutherland just creeped me out, I got scared watching him in Ordinary People.

Archived