IGNORED

Horses/Horse training

Curious

A new member that can't start their own topics yet asked me to start this thread.   Talk about your horse love here :)

• 4 weeks later...

This is one of the better photos of my first horse - he was pre-digital and had a habit of going lop-eared any time a camera was around or something.  I don't have many pictures of him at all, and none of them are really great.  He died in 1993, at the age of 20-something, and I still miss him.  My second and last horse was a mistake in many ways, had him for 3 years - he had a very pretty head, but he was a little flakey. 

Which means it's been almost 20 years since I've owned a horse.  I've made do since then with a few riding lessons and a lot of Breyers, but I'm not sure I'll ever be in a position to own a horse again.  I keep telling myself that the Breyers are cheaper and lower maintenance (no vet fees!). 

smoky1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have two, both 18 years old.  One Quarter Horse, one Standardbred.  The QH is a good girl, the other one is sweet but a little. . . "speshul" as they say.  I no longer ride either one, only because my interests have gone to other things.  They both live at my sister's house which is the only way I can afford them, what with being an adult and having bills and stuff now. Not sure I'll have more when they are no longer around but I would like to get back into riding at some point.  I only have a handy pic of one of them, bad horse mom.  Not sure what's happening with her lips.

IMG_2321.JPG

• 1 month later...

Well..... horses are like potato chips.  You can't have just one. We are down to 5 now. Our seniors crossed the rainbow bridge a couple years ago.

Darn. My post got eaten.  Anyway we have 2 quarter horses, 2 paints, and 1 Morgan / mustang cross. Two are reiners and they all trailride, except the young blonde  (palomino ) gelding. He is a bit of a tweenage idiot, but he's cute so.

We don't get to ride much, but I am happy just to waste time looking at them. Just this bad photo as I am on my phone.20160113_124358.thumb.png.4f9a5463283bc420160113_124358.thumb.png.4f9a5463283bc4

• 3 weeks later...

Despite awful weather, I was able to do a mini lesson with my niece on my goober-face. It's the first time she's ridden him unassisted, so proud of them both. I hope to dig up a saddle that fits her so subsequent rides won't be her kicking the flaps on mine (and I'm too lazy to roll those leathers every time). 

image.jpeg

• 3 months later...

Why did it take me so long to find this thread????

I like to say I have 3 horsies, but none of them belong to me.

My husband has a psychotic Quarter Horse/Arab mare named Jenna.  She is as stubborn and hot-headed as she is pretty.  She is also the love of his life.  I admire my husband's neverending determination with her.  They compete regularly in dressage competitions, but only at the Intro level because it's just about the only thing she'll do.  She's a gorgeous mover and could probably be brilliant at it, but she just won't be submissive. 

My mother has two ponies that I like to call "mine".  The first is a 27-year-old POA named Starbeam (barn name Baby).  She's another piece of work.  She's also quite stubborn, although you can get her to submit if you let you know you're serious.  In her heydey she was a brilliant event horse who loved cross country jumping (dressage phase not so much). 

My pride and joy is Mom's other pony, a 10 year old Chincoteague Pony named Riddle Me This (named for her question-mark shaped blaze).  Although Mom owns her, she has been my project since she was a tiny foal that we brought home from the Pony Penning.  She is a pony mare when she wants to be, but is still sweet and people loving and if you ride her correctly, she will try her heart out for you.

IMG_1298.JPG

P1030818.JPG

IMG_1340.JPG

• 5 weeks later...

*gasps*

I'll try to post some photos later this week.  Hurray!  Fellow horse people!

Yay! Horses!

I only have one currently, husband said NO more! *pout* so here is my one and only. He's a Norwegian Fjord named Viking.

10422000_10152548567156900_4939930292100710693_n.jpg

Nocturnalbuny, do I remember you from FISH??

Anyway, here are mine - this was after their vet appointment when they were waiting to go back outside after the anesthesia wore off. 

Komet on the left is my retired eventer, a 22-y-o Arab/Trakehner.  I've had him since he was a foal.  Fiona on the right is a failed race horse, who a trainer friend of mine rescued from the kill pen at the auction.  After rehabbing her, she wasn't suitable for my friend's lesson program, so I bought her as a possible future eventer, if I can get off my butt enough to get serious about her schooling (I'm old and not as gung-ho anymore about competing, really.)  They are both fun to ride on the trails or in the arena though.

I wish I knew something about driving, because they are so similar in color, size and markings they'd make a good matched pair!

Fiona and Komet 5-15.PNG

I had to step away from Freejinger for a bit (fj is way too distracting when you have deadlines to meet) and I return to find fellow horse lovers (yeah) and missing photos (boo). I wonder where they disappeared to? My posts are ridiculous without photos so here are some updated photos of my wonderful money wasters.  They are Kolbi, Squirrel* (Pearl), Noni, Domingo, and Mischief.

*Squirrel is probably one of the most beautiful horses you'll see and apparently I have succeeded in taking only the most unflattering photos of her. Go figure.

20160618_181636.jpg

20160531_193420.jpg

20160618_181528.jpg

20160531_193450.jpg

20160326_162600.jpg

I am a fellow horse person.  I've owned horses for a majority of my life and now I am down to one, my 18 year old Arabian gelding.  I bred and show Arabians for many years and loved doing it, but it got to the point where I couldn't find the kind of homes I wanted for them so I quit.  I sold my farm and am now living in a condo, visiting "Sparky" where he's boarded.  I still go to local Arabian shows but now I'm a spectator.

Horses & my supervisors.  There is one photo that was the one sunny day in the midst of many rainy ones so the ground is all torn to hell.

F.March2016.jpg

Daisy.Ace.May2016.jpg

27Jan2015.Ebony.2.jpg

Dream.April2016.jpg

DogTeam.Apr2016.jpg

Fellow horse lovers, hello!!!! I've ridden off and on for as long as I can remember...my mom hated it so she tried to call it a phase, but you all know- when you've been bitten by the horse bug, you know it's not a phase! As soon as I left for college I started working at a therapy ranch and soon got certified to work with disabled and abused kids AND horses. Right now I'm horseless due to life's phases, but I miss the barn life!! 

Archived