IGNORED

Colorado with the Moodys

fiery redhead

Reading that was seriously painful. I was embarrassed for Sara since she doesn't have the good sense to be embarrassed for herself. How humiliating it would be for a 32 year old to write that drivel and have it seen in public. I guess that's a good thing about her isolation - no one will really notice the awfulness since only those in their bubble world will ever read it. 

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ouch.  My eyes and brain.  That was painful.

So many weird parts of that stunted life creeping in. Here are my favorites:

Accosting strangers and requesting band-aids and socks while hiking. A "million dollar tract" is an excellent exchange for such help.  Of course the other ladies would ask for their own personal tracts.  Very normal behavior.

Making rules for hiking, but not bothering to bring any kind of first aid kit. 

Dad taking pictures of his fallen son, rather than heeding his request for help.  

Dad casually asking the kids about band aids, and Mitch weirdly saying that Aunt Olga should have told them to bring a first aid kit.  

Those poor kidults raised in Maxhell.  What a stifling bubble of a world.

The only program allowed in Maxhell would be the Duggars' show, no? Because where else could poor little childult Sara have learnt that you always first take a picture/make a video of your hurting child before taking care of them if not on the Duggars' show?

The only program allowed in Maxhell would be the Duggars' show, no? Because where else could poor little childult Sara have learnt that you always first take a picture/make a video of your hurting child before taking care of them if not on the Duggars' show?

Maybe it's just part of traditional fundie parenting techniques.  Plus, it provides evidence of a "clumsy kid," which could be useful  for followers of the Pearls.  

Ouch.  My eyes and brain.  That was painful.

So many weird parts of that stunted life creeping in. Here are my favorites:

Accosting strangers and requesting band-aids and socks while hiking. A "million dollar tract" is an excellent exchange for such help.  Of course the other ladies would ask for their own personal tracts.  Very normal behavior.

Making rules for hiking, but not bothering to bring any kind of first aid kit. 

Dad taking pictures of his fallen son, rather than heeding his request for help.  

Dad casually asking the kids about band aids, and Mitch weirdly saying that Aunt Olga should have told them to bring a first aid kit.  

Those poor kidults raised in Maxhell.  What a stifling bubble of a world.

I agree about the million dollar question, that was the first thing that seriously irked me in this. It is very unrealistic that any person should ask for a Bible tract. Most Christians all across the board would agree with that. The Maxwells are insanely out of touch, I feel like their evangelism is not sincere, but just an excuse to seem like they care about the outside world of their artificial Christian bubble. The way the go about spreading the gospel is too ineffective and sporadic to really mean anything. Yes, their entire life is a "ministry", but it's just for (Steve) themselves.

I immediately thought of that too. I was just talking w/ someone the other day about how sociopathic Michelle acts whenever her kids get hurt. It is abusive IMHO to take a picture and be smiling while your hurt child is being examined to determine if he is paralyzed. And then to make him get up the next and sign books? 

The Duggars are so greedy. And negligent. And poisonous. I'll stop.

I'd love to hand these books to any high school student and a red pen and see what they do with it.

Hell, I'd love to hand it to any grade school student with a red pen and see what they do with it; a few Transformers and lightsabers can only liven things up. Plus any given fourth-grader on up could probably improve on the plot and dialogue.

I bought the book. Should be getting it in November sometime. I'll let you know what else is as exciting as the wet sock.

Thanks for taking one for the team!

Yes!  Consider either donating it to a church library or somewhere else afterwards to really piss Steve off :pb_evil:

Better yet, resell it!

Oh my those sample pages are hard to read.  I'm baffled that they have the reading comprehension as 7-12. My 11 year old would be insulted if I asked her to read this and do comprehension questions for it.  and let's face it, my 7 year old would roll his eyes. 

Just read the sample pages.

Really want to know how many "rules" there are for hiking......

The first rule is: No Talking About Hiking.

The second rule is (this rule was added by Steve of course): YOU'RE ALL GOING TO DIE.

Yes, the dad comes off as an overgrown child with zero sense of responsibility, while elderly Aunt Olga is blamed for the lack of preparation for a hike in which she isn't participating!

Steve and Teri should read how they come off in these novels and weep for the lost years and inadequate parenting of their children.

I just watched her promo vid for it. I like how she says "Imagine that? Brothers and sisters loving eachother!"

Maxwells: Just because children in other families have friends who are not their siblings does not mean that they hate their siblings. 

I just watched her promo vid for it. I like how she says "Imagine that? Brothers and sisters loving eachother!"

Maxwells: Just because children in other families have friends who are not their siblings does not mean that they hate their siblings. 

What?!?!?! How is that possible?  I don't believe it.  Unless your a KJV toten-home schooling-home churching- no TV- no friends-completely sheltering Christian parent, of course your kids will HATE each other.

Steve says so.

The smug. It burns.

From the way Teri describes their life, I imagine there was very little love lost between Sarah, Christopher and Nathan in the early days.  They had all their contact with friends cut off, the telly was thrown out, they were pulled out of school, sports, youth club and even church, and kept at home with a deeply depressed mother and a very angry father.

And in that household, Teri has written extensively about how to deal with children who tattle, how to schedule every 15 minutes of the day, how to train children to work and be respectful, and on and on. They clearly didn't love each other back when Sarah was a young girl.

It must have been such a blessed relief as Teri finally started to recover, and they all learned how to tiptoe around Steve, that Sarah probably genuinely believes that the descent into Maxhell has been in itself the redemptive factor, rather than recognising that it has taken the total subjugation of her will, and the loss of her entire young adulthood to servitude, in order to make her parents happy. And it will likely never occur to her that her nieces and nephews are happier not because of the schedule or death sermons, but simply because they have so many people around ghem with the time and energy to love them, that Sarah never experienced.

Oh my those sample pages are hard to read.  I'm baffled that they have the reading comprehension as 7-12. My 11 year old would be insulted if I asked her to read this and do comprehension questions for it.  and let's face it, my 7 year old would roll his eyes. 

Let me guess...your kids are well-educated and attend school somewhere other than your kitchen or living room.  It may be true, and is possibly optimistic, for the 7-12 year olds they're gearing it toward.

ETA:  Not to say that kids can't be well-educated at home.

Pre-order Colorado with the Moodys from October 19th-November 2nd, and Sarah will sign your copy! This offer is only valid during the pre-order season.

Right.  Because it would be so very onerous for Sarah to sign every book.  How many could they possibly sell?

Colorado with the Moodys, Sarah’s tenth book in the Moody Family Series, is a heart-warming conclusion to the series that’s loved by children around the world.

So it's the last Moody book.  Hmm.  Lots of the Maxwell enterprises seem to be ending recently.  Do the Moody books sell so poorly that Sarah Steve decided they were a waste of her time?

Colorado with the Moodys is the biggest book of the series, and it’s packed with adventure. We think you’ll find your children begging for just one more chapter.

"Packed with adventure"   HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHa!:56247958035f1_32(18):

But were the 3 female hikers on the trail wearing pants? Or short sleeved shirts? Where were their headships?

I'm sure the way the dad talks to the Moody children is still how Steve talks to his adult children. Poor Jesse probably has to ask permission to cross the stream first. 

So I just read the part where the three female hikers hand over blister kits (moleskin?) to the Moodys and get a Million Dollar Tract in return.  Then the two other hikers ask for two more.  I'm trying to imagine what Sarah Maxwell thought this scene signified.  In real life, of course, I would assume that the hikers were planning on snarking at the tract and/or using them to wipe their butts.  In Sarah's mind?  I can't decide.  Either she thinks of the non-Moodys as Christians in which case why would they need to read the tracts?  Or they are heathens in which case why would they want the tracts?  Does Sarah imagine that heathens are so greedy that even pretend Million Dollar bills are exciting or that their lives are so devoid of Jesus/excitement that these bills are worth reading and possessing.

Sarah must have handed out these tracts in real life.  I would guess that most people refuse them or end up crumpling them  up and throwing them away immediately. I find it very hard to believe that anyone ever asked for more tracts except to mock them.  Does she write this scene as wish fulfillment? I have a sneaking suspicion that later on one of the hikers comes to Jesus as a result of the tract she was given, however, Sarah often lets plot lines dangle with no follow up so maybe we never hear anything more of the non-Moody hikers.

Poor Sarah used to "write" about such exciting things for us, like exploding bratwurst.  Now we get a wet sock. Maybe all that fasting is negatively affecting her "creativity."  I can't wait for the next book series.  Sigh.

Poor Sarah used to "write" about such exciting things for us, like exploding bratwurst.  Now we get a wet sock. Maybe all that fasting is negatively affecting her "creativity."  I can't wait for the next book series.  Sigh.

exploding bratwurst? When was this?!

Re: the blister pad/million-dollar-question tract exchange - want to know what would strike me as a far more "Christian" thing to do? If Steve (in the guise of Father Moody) offered to reimburse the other hikers so they could replenish their first aid kit. Or (referencing another famous moment from their blog), "We talked about praying for our hard-working waitress, but decided instead that true Christian charity would be to leave her a generous tip." What a concept! :pb_evil:

The Maxwell blog is replete with years' worth of free restaurant meals, free places to stay, and "love offerings." I think Steve is, not to put too fine a point on it, a cheap bastard. 

exploding bratwurst? When was this?!

Lol, I think it's in "Exciting Times with the Moody's." The neighbor's sausage explodes on the grill. Exciting times indeed. :kitty-wink:

Let me guess...your kids are well-educated and attend school somewhere other than your kitchen or living room.  It may be true, and is possibly optimistic, for the 7-12 year olds they're gearing it toward.

ETA:  Not to say that kids can't be well-educated at home.

Oh yes, my brood walk to the local public school. DH and say that we homeschool our children but we outsource the book learning to the experts. ;)  

Does Sarah imagine that heathens are so greedy that even pretend Million Dollar bills are exciting or that their lives are so devoid of Jesus/excitement that these bills are worth reading and possessing.

Maybe if the other hikers were aware that Creflo Dollar wants a ~$70M jet, they could ask the Maxwells for a whole stack of tracts and use them to fashion the most badass "$70M" paper plane out of them???   :my_biggrin:

In any event, I read that sample of "Colorado" yesterday, and I was left speechless.  It was painful to read.  I feel truly embarrassed for Sarah.

Archived