IGNORED

Joy-Anna turns 18th on Oct 28th

countressrascal

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't imagine Joy spilling the beans to anyone for the same reason Jinger hasn't - they're both young, sheltered, brainwashed, entirely dependent on their shitty family and have nowhere else to go. 

That said, I hope Joy has as enjoyable a birthday as possible, and never gives up hope of making a better life for herself.

Not gonna happen, but the writer of the article sure went to great pains to state they were NOT suggesting in any way, shape or form that Joy was one of Josh's victims.  Yes, we get it - it was repeated at least five times.   

Wish it would happen.  But not gonna happen.   

Good headline writing, though.  

Oh man that article had me giggling, the whole tone was so conspiratorial, with no support.  Still there is always a little tickle in the back of my brain when a fundie comes of age.  What's next for Joyless? .  

It's probably not going to happen, but I really, really, really, really wish it would. Really. :pb_biggrin:

Can't happen. Where would Joy go? She has no non fundie acquaintances to help. I hope one day one of those kids would be able to reach their potential.

Even if a Duggar teenager really really wanted to give us this coming of age tell-all, they couldn't do it! They all rely on boob for financial support and that's how he likes it. He hasn't given them the tools or resources (or even allowed them) to establish themselves outside of doing his petty errands and it's so fucking controlling. Not to mention, these kids have no support system outside of their family and other people exactly like them.

Even if Joy wanted to leave, she has nowhere to go. She has no support system, she has no money, and she's probably terrified of people that aren't like her because that's all she's been taught. I really hope all of these kids find a way out, but I think when it happens (and I do think it will happen for some), it will be a gradual transition once they're already adults. 

They bring up Nate Phelps every time.  The one thing the Phelps kids have going for them is they have exposure to the outside world.  They are in public school, they have friends outside of their circle.  Nate had somewhere to go, people who would help him, etc.  These kids don't have that, they don't have links to the outside world that they can trust.

Speaking of "tell all" books, The Hollywood Gossip was reporting back in September (if you can call what they do reporting) that Marjorie Jackson is going to "spill the beans" about the Duggars because her courtship with Josiah "ended badly".  I'm sure this was discussed here at the time but here's the link FWIW: 

http://www.thehollywoodgossip.com/2015/09/marjorie-jackson-josiah-duggars-ex-girlfriend-plannint-to-tell-a/

The only "evidence" they have is that apparently she told readers of her blog that she's sorry she's been gone for so long and will be back soon.

It really is amazing what tabloids/websites can "report" without any facts or corroboration.

Even if she did, I'd much rather read something written by one of the Duggar children.  

Why would any of them do a tell-all book? First of all, I don't think any of them have even heard of a tell-all book as it would not be something they would know from the fundy world. Second, even if Joy or any of them want to escape, they just want to live their lives on their terms, not basically shut out their family forever, which is what you basically do by writing a tell-all. Third, I wouldn't doubt that they are all very protective of their family. They love each other, no matter what. They don't want to hurt their family, which is what you do when writing a tell-all. I will say, I think tell-alls are tacky and trashy. For the most part, they are only written for money or revenge. It's not about getting their story out and there is rarely a classy way to do a tell-all because by its very description you have to write juicy, embarrassing and highly suspect material for it to have any change of making money.  When the money is gone, which it would be as they aren't going to get millions for it because most people couldn't care less about the Duggars, they will be broke and without a family that does love them, no matter how bizarre they are to the rest of us. They are snark fodder for us but this is the family they love and I have no doubt want to have a continuing relationship with. 

Why would any of those children write a tell all? They are white, wealthy, famous, straight, sheltered, brainwashed young adults...Heck, if I were all these things, I would feel great and wouldn't write a tell all either, because I wouldn't have anything to worry about. You don't bite the hand that feeds you! If you grow up in a cult and it turns out that your personality really fits into it why leave? So far they all seem to love love love it and want to live exactly like their parents did, including Josiah and Jinger (sadly)!

Yeah I'm feeling less and less optimistic that any of them will leave in a very public way that would give us any information unless there's a scandal that is three times Joshgate lurking around a corner. 

I had hopes for jinger when she was Joy's age, but nothing yet. I often say they have no money and no where to say when Duggar lovers say if they were unhappy they would leave. It's much more complex than that because they risk losing the family they really love.

I wonder if Marjorie saying;'ended badly' means because the show ended.. I hate thinking that about someone, but it seems she may have been trying to get a big break through the Duggars. 

Why would any of those children write a tell all? They are white, wealthy, famous, straight, sheltered, brainwashed young adults...Heck, if I were all these things, I would feel great and wouldn't write a tell all either, because I wouldn't have anything to worry about. You don't bite the hand that feeds you! If you grow up in a cult and it turns out that your personality really fits into it why leave? So far they all seem to love love love it and want to live exactly like their parents did, including Josiah and Jinger (sadly)!

I'm sorry, but how can you possibly know that all of the Duggar children are straight? I won't speculate on anyone's sexuality, but statistically speaking, it is very likely that at least one of them is not straight. And I'd say growing up queer in any way in that family would be a pretty good reason to break free (and possibly write a tell-all if that person had no other means of supporting themselves). Of course, it's by no means a given that said person will admit to themselves that they are not straight. They may just live in denial for the rest of their lives. But still, it's absolutely not a given that they are all straight.

I'm sorry, but how can you possibly know that all of the Duggar children are straight? I won't speculate on anyone's sexuality, but statistically speaking, it is very likely that at least one of them is not straight. And I'd say growing up queer in any way in that family would be a pretty good reason to break free (and possibly write a tell-all if that person had no other means of supporting themselves). Of course, it's by no means a given that said person will admit to themselves that they are not straight. They may just live in denial for the rest of their lives. But still, it's absolutely not a given that they are all straight.

well, I said it because

1. the Duggars think that everyone is straight and that having gay feelings can be treated and is really just a phase of terrible sinning that needs to go away and can be healed with therapy

2. yes, I know that with 19 children it is very probable that let's say 3 of them are not straight. but, let me tell you, i have said things on this forum in the past 3 years that didn't meet approval (about who of them might be gay and so on), so I'd rather not be as direct anymore. The IRONY of it all. In the past year or so my posts were controlled by admins before they posted it because I said too many gay things. And now I type the word "straight" and imideately  get attacked for not considering that one of them might be gay, wth??!!!!!I'm gay myself and usually can tell wether a person is gay or not. I just earned my right back to post directly without the admins approval and now this?!!!

so, until proven otherwise: all the adult children living still at home are straight per se!

Why would any of them do a tell-all book? First of all, I don't think any of them have even heard of a tell-all book as it would not be something they would know from the fundy world. Second, even if Joy or any of them want to escape, they just want to live their lives on their terms, not basically shut out their family forever, which is what you basically do by writing a tell-all. Third, I wouldn't doubt that they are all very protective of their family. They love each other, no matter what. They don't want to hurt their family, which is what you do when writing a tell-all. I will say, I think tell-alls are tacky and trashy. For the most part, they are only written for money or revenge. It's not about getting their story out and there is rarely a classy way to do a tell-all because by its very description you have to write juicy, embarrassing and highly suspect material for it to have any change of making money.  When the money is gone, which it would be as they aren't going to get millions for it because most people couldn't care less about the Duggars, they will be broke and without a family that does love them, no matter how bizarre they are to the rest of us. They are snark fodder for us but this is the family they love and I have no doubt want to have a continuing relationship with. 

Thank you for your POV. I absolutely agree and have faced quite some backlash in the past for criticizing people's longing for a tell-all. Yes, a tell-all would be great fodder for our snarky moments and voyeurism. I wouldn't put it past myself to enjoy reading the juicy details of the secret Duggar life, far away from the cameras and TLC's fine editing. However, no matter how much my family would let me down and not support me at best or shun me at worst if we happened to have the same background as Joy and the Duggar-clan, no circumstance in the world could make me throw my family under the bus like this. I would certainly have to pick a bone with my family, but I wouldn't ever consider making them snark material to the public.

well, I said it because

1. the Duggars think that everyone is straight and that having gay feelings can be treated and is really just a phase of terrible sinning that needs to go away and can be healed with therapy

2. yes, I know that with 19 children it is very probable that let's say 3 of them are not straight. but, let me tell you, i have said things on this forum in the past 3 years that didn't meet approval (about who of them might be gay and so on), so I'd rather not be as direct anymore. The IRONY of it all. In the past year or so my posts were controlled by admins before they posted it because I said too many gay things. And now I type the word "straight" and imideately  get attacked for not considering that one of them might be gay, wth??!!!!!I'm gay myself and usually can tell wether a person is gay or not. I just earned my right back to post directly without the admins approval and now this?!!!

so, until proven otherwise: all the adult children living still at home are straight per se!

Calm your pants. No one is attacking you.

well, I said it because

Calm your pants. No one is attacking you.

I am calm. Just pointnig out the irony in all of this. think it's pretty funny, too.

@isarhenne (sorry, I still can't figure out how to cut down these huge quotes) just FYI, you didn't sound calm at all. You sounded upset. I know internet communication can be iffy, which is why I'm saying this to you. If you didn't want to come across that way you probably shouldn't have lamented that you were being attacked and punctuated everything with '??!!!!!' - That sends a certain message.

I dont know that Joy even knows that turning 18 has any magical significance in the real world.  To her, she leaves the home when she's sold given married to another man.  Period. I dont know that she has any idea that she now has the ability to act as an adult.

I can hope that Amy told her, and that she would offer her a place to go, but Amy is too reliant on uncle Jim Bob for her chance at fame.  She needs him to keep her on the show, even if its just Jill and Jessa's specials. 

If she were clever enough, Amy could find a way get some fame and money from helping Joy escape. Win win!

True - I would be tempted to watch that show, but considering its Duggar related I wouldnt trust it was a true escape.

I agree, she has no where to go and has no support system outside her family. I don't think any of those kids are really strong enough to face life completely shunned which may happen if they leave the compound and it's way of life. I am not sure I would want to face life with no family ties etc.

She may just be shuttled off to Jill to help with the her second blessing once the announcement is made so Jill can focus on learning to use the word "like" in every sentence in Spanish. Oh and "totally".  Or even to help Jessa as she is in the immediate area and would still be close for Dim Bulb to keep his eyes/claws on.

If she were clever enough, Amy could find a way get some fame and money from helping Joy escape. Win win!

True - I would be tempted to watch that show, but considering its Duggar related I wouldnt trust it was a true escape.

I just had this idea about JB, in desperation for on-going TLC fame and money, agreeing to a series entitled "19 Kids and Fleeing" in which each of the older kids stages some sort of escape from DuggarLand and the format of the show is 3 episodes for each child.

In episode A the kid plots how to leave and makes plans for living Duggar-free.  The family is in some cases oblivious, in other cases deeply concerned. (Imagine the tearful little ones begging Sister-Mom Jana not to leave them and her replying that she has to go to find herself at clothing-design college or whatever.) It is all very dramatic.

Episode B focuses on after the kid leaves.  We see JB and Michelle discussing their fears and how much they miss the escapee and the other kids discuss how this is not the same as when sibling leaves with marriage and hoping the sibling will return.  We also follow them in the real world (according to TLC) as they try to negotiate finding a job and/or going to school, finding a roommate, who probably drinks and has sex outside marriage, shopping somewhere other than Walmart, etc.  We see them miss their family, etc.  

Episode C has some plot device to bring them home.  In some cases,  JB and Michelle can pray until the Lord sends it into the escapee's heart to return to the fold.  In another case, something terrible can happen ( an ungodly boss makes a pass at a Duggar girl, a roommate turns out to be a drug dealer, whatever) in another case the escapee concludes that even though his/her life as turned out great, s/he misses home too much and returns.  In a few rare cases, the escapee is allowed to continue worthwhile things (job, college) after returning to the family.

In any case,  there's a lot of "reality" there to watch.  And so long as they come back and he gets the pay checks, how could JB object to the drama of (fake) escape and return?  

:kitty-wink:

Archived