IGNORED

Maxwells doing their Operation Christmas Child crap again

SPHASH

As usual, people who endlessly lecture about how homemaking is such a complex job that a girl needs to be home until about age 25 to learn it all, yet they can't do any of the basics of homemaking (except cleaning, of course, in this case). Not to mention the inability to raise functional adults.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good point about Elissa being in 4H.  Perhaps it was just Sarah who was befuddled.

I took a closer look at the purses.  I'm not even sure why they needed a pattern for them.  They consist of 2 rectangles with the edges rounded off, sewn together.  Maybe Sarah was confused on how to sew the straps on? I'm a bit baffled as to why Sarah thinks this stuff is difficult because it looks like the type of project you would do with a 10 year old.

The Maxwell girls used to sew a lot. They made all their frumpers before switching to skirts. Anna and Mary were pretty good. Sarah, not so much.

Sarah doesn't seem to like or is very good at "homemaking" chores. I bet she would have made a terrific accountant or other business professional is born to a "normal" family and allowed to go to collage.

Good point about Elissa being in 4H.  Perhaps it was just Sarah who was befuddled.

I took a closer look at the purses.  I'm not even sure why they needed a pattern for them.  They consist of 2 rectangles with the edges rounded off, sewn together.  Maybe Sarah was confused on how to sew the straps on? I'm a bit baffled as to why Sarah thinks this stuff is difficult because it looks like the type of project you would do with a 10 year old.

That sounds like a project that my daughter could do with her Brownie troop.  My daughter is already a good seamstress and she has infinite patience.  What she doesn't have is tons of sewing machines.

The Maxwell girls used to sew a lot. They made all their frumpers before switching to skirts. Anna and Mary were pretty good. Sarah, not so much.

Sarah doesn't seem to like or is very good at "homemaking" chores. I bet she would have made a terrific accountant or other business professional is born to a "normal" family and allowed to go to collage.

There are times when I think Sarah's a real sly fox who discovered she could give herself an out by becoming the family chronicler/documentarian. She doesn't seem to be a happy homemaker type, she doesn't participate in the musical extravaganzas, it's unclear how much she participates in things with the younger generation or in big family projects like house renovation (although I think she could only get away with just so much). If she's managed to carve out a bit of space for herself that way, I say bravo! But who knows…?

Can we talk about the piss poor sewing on those purses? Unless the work was done by Abby and Bethie, in which case I take it back, it looks like a really half assed job. Where are Mary's much crowed about sewing skills? 

Mary's sewing praises are being sung by the same people who think Sarah is a good writer and Steve is a good father.

I think the Maxwells' tagline should be something like "praising mediocrity since 1984".

Didn't Elissa make a purse as a gift to Mary for her High School "graduation"? Could this be where they got the idea to make the purses?

The MaxGirls sewing skills have always been restricted to simple frumpers and some less than lovely bridesmaid dresses, but NR-Anna can sew quite well. She sewed most of her own clothes before all the babies started arriving, including fairly complicated blouses and shirts.

I have a question, who exactly do they send these packages to?

It goes to Operation Christmas Child, an organization run by Franklin Graham. They will be sent to various countries and used to try and convert children. But when making the box you have no idea where it will end up. 

I am not a Franklin Graham fan (understatement).

However - I have a problem with criticizing the program as "awakens material desires" in children, or "promotes consumerism". Not unless that same criticism is leveraged against Toys for Tots, first responders who give teddy bears to children at fire or crime scenes, and against every parent who gives their child some gift for their birthday. This is a grasping-at-straws, hypocritical statement.

I don't like OCC and also, wouldn't recommend stuffing boxes with cheap things from the dollar store, but find the consumerism claims ridic.  I have had the opportunity to travel to countries where children live in a lot of poverty, even in the affluent areas.  These kids will often make a soccer ball from trash, etc.  the things in the link provided were perfect.

when we went to Tanzania, we took a bunch of deflated soccer balls and a pump and provided them to a local charity for children.  Nice short sleeve shirts are perfect, soap can often be a premium, etc.

i think OCC sucks, and the bible in one hand and food in another criticism is spot on.  But sending children items of need or to have fun with don't feed consumerism.

Not being snarky, but were you kidding about this being an elementary school project?  Just curious as I have an even smaller frame of reference than the Maxwells and I would never be able to make one of those.

I thought they were really cute...I would have loved one of those when I was a little girl.  But if someone else got one with hearts and mine didn't have hearts I would have been sad.  Hearts on all them next time, Maxwell ladies!

I wasn't in 4-H so I didn't have sewing until 7th or 8th grade. The apron I made was a failure. So I too didn't see these purses as being an elementary project and I thought they were cute. I would have loved one as a kid. 

• 4 weeks later...

Here, have some 7 month old candy, and boys between the ages of 10 - 14, you need to learn a LIFE SKILL, so have some tools. I feel sorry for any kid who is unlucky enough to get a Maxwell box.

They put candies and stuffed animals in these boxes? I though OCC specifically asks not to send food and anything that can have negative symbolic meaning.

They put candies and stuffed animals in these boxes? I though OCC specifically asks not to send food and anything that can have negative symbolic meaning.

II'm a little lost with this one...what could be symbolically negative about candy and stuffed animals?

They are sending old candy, yarn, winter hats, flip-flops, life skill tools and best of all this came at hardly any costs to the Maxwells. It looks like Melanie did a bit of a better job with her boxes. She put them in plastic containers, something that is suggested, that the children can use again.  

I can't find the article now, but a woman who lives in the area where a lot of these boxes are brought explained why stuffed animals and toys that people in America think are cute and harmless can be scary or useless to children in other countries. The candy can cause cavities in children who don't have a lot of access to dental care, plus it can attract bugs. 

II'm a little lost with this one...what could be symbolically negative about candy and stuffed animals?

Well, you don't want to send a kid something that he/she associates with death, war, illness or bad luck. Different animals have different symbolic meaning around the world.
And food can get old or cause problems for children with specific health issues. And some children simply don't like sweets.

They are sending old candy, yarn, winter hats, flip-flops, life skill tools and best of all this came at hardly any costs to the Maxwells. It looks like Melanie did a bit of a better job with her boxes. She put them in plastic containers, something that is suggested, that the children can use again.  

I can't find the article now, but a woman who lives in the area where a lot of these boxes are brought explained why stuffed animals and toys that people in America think are cute and harmless can be scary or useless to children in other countries. The candy can cause cavities in children who don't have a lot of access to dental care, plus it can attract bugs. 

I thought that blog was wonderful for what is best to send for Operation Christmas Child. I wanted to post the article to numerous blogs. There are so many individuals posting this weekend about OCC and most are sending unwanted items.

Here's the article called Unsolicited Advice About Shoeboxes:

http://garrett.with.sim.org/index.php/archives/1675

It's an great article.

This one family that I follow was at least sending flashlights with batteries, hair accessories, toothbrushes and toothpaste. But they were also sending matchbox cars and stuffed animals.

I hope that the Maxwell Family is at least paying the shipping costs for sending their boxes.

I would hate to be a child who lives in Africa and receives a Maxwell box. Nothing useful in the box. At least the tools or yarn could be sold.

Since nobody knows where the stuff will really go, we'll never know who's receiving these boxes and if the content is useful to them or not. 

AGAIN: Operation Christmas Child is a shady organisation. 

I thought that blog was wonderful for what is best to send for Operation Christmas Child. I wanted to post the article to numerous blogs. There are so many individuals posting this weekend about OCC and most are sending unwanted items.

Here's the article called Unsolicited Advice About Shoeboxes:

http://garrett.with.sim.org/index.php/archives/1675

It's an great article.

This one family that I follow was at least sending flashlights with batteries, hair accessories, toothbrushes and toothpaste. But they were also sending matchbox cars and stuffed animals.

I hope that the Maxwell Family is at least paying the shipping costs for sending their boxes.

I would hate to be a child who lives in Africa and receives a Maxwell box. Nothing useful in the box. At least the tools or yarn could be sold.

That was one of the articles I read but there was another one from a lady who I think lived in South or Central America and she talked about the problems with candy and how it could attract ants and roaches when the kids brought them home, plus it could cause dental problems and it isn't like these kids typically have access to dental care. She also talked about how awful it was for the kids who got cheap toys that broke almost as soon as they got them or kids who got boxes of Happy Meal toys that all related to movies that they didn't understand or relate to, and like stuffed animals, they can find scary. 

But, like Pretzel said, OCC is a shady organization. 

Archived