IGNORED

Maxwells doing their Operation Christmas Child crap again

SPHASH

Oh, I remember my school class doing that project in elementary back in the day. I guess back then the idea existed that kids prepare boxes with toys and stuff that they want to share with a poor kid in who knows where. 

Just imagine the paternalism, the elitist classism of thinking a poor African kid will be overjoyed by an old shoe box filled with used crap. I believe Samaritan's Purse must have tightened up their criteria of what can go in there and what can't since then. 

I still hear people say it's such a great way for kids to learn how to share their toys. 

No. It's just a cheap way for kids to get rid of the stuff they don't like anymore. I hope the people who pre-inspect the boxes throw those out entirely. 

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've done OCC in the past.  Before I ran screaming from Christianity a few years back.  I drank the associated koolaid then.  I am very aware now.  I'd rather go donate to a charity that does real work to sustain impoverished families around the world than shove a shoe box full of dollar store trinkets so that someone can shove tracts into them (and then - my interpretation of how the OCC stuff works - hold the box hostage so the teams handing them out can force the kids into indoctrination and get the parents to go to similar 'classes' all so that uptight american Christians can make themselves fell better about spreading the word of Jesus).  

The purses are cute, but does a child living in poverty in a developing country really need a purse?  I'm sure there are other things they would need more, or things that would be more fun like crayons and coloring books or something.  

And what if a boy ends up getting a box with a purse.  Won't that turn him gay (and make Jesus cry)?  Way to go, Maxwells.  /sarcasm

The boxes have specific labels regarding gender and age. There are 6 categories; 3 age categories(2-5, 6-9, 10-14), and, of course, 2 gender categories. I'm sure the boxes they are filling with purses are for girls, likely the older category. If they fill any boy boxes, I guess they would have other things in them......wait, that could go places, as we know how Steve is, lol. And which sons are like him and which ones are not. The nephews/grandsons, too soon to tell. Except that Joshua loves to play with balls.

Thanks for that link from the one who's been there. I'm about to do one myself as I do every year. Except I don't sew, so it'd have to be bought stuff. Who gets more boxes; girls or boys? Let the research begin.

Oh yeah, Johnna's comments are SO inspiring.

They aren't even difficult for someone who does NOT sew often. It's an elementary school project. Those Maxwells just don't have any reference frame apart from their own petty experiences. 

Not being snarky, but were you kidding about this being an elementary school project?  Just curious as I have an even smaller frame of reference than the Maxwells and I would never be able to make one of those.

I thought they were really cute...I would have loved one of those when I was a little girl.  But if someone else got one with hearts and mine didn't have hearts I would have been sad.  Hearts on all them next time, Maxwell ladies!

(I own a sewing machine because I love the idea of learning how to sew, but it's only use for 20+ years is to give me something else to pack when we move.)

HerNameIsBuffy, depending on when a person learns to sew, yes, that could be a beginner/grade school project. I was in 4-H from the time I was 8, and our first project was a simple apron, and we helped with basic curtains for the 4-H building. A friend of mine and I made matching jumpers (not gathered like the frumpers) the summer between 3rd and 4th grade. I made a lot of my clothes in HS, and my sister made a wool coat with a full fake fur lining her sophomore year.  The key is practice, and a decent teacher, if possible.  My 4-h sewing leader was great, and my mom had taken tailoring classes, so I had people to show me how to do it. 

I will repeat what I've said before. why fundies don't start their own 4-H clubs to learn a lot of these skills I'll never know. 

That said, I don't sew much lately and would have to start with an apron again, probably.  The machine I bought 35 years ago was iffy then and a piece of junk now, and decent fabric is expensive... buying clothing is often cheaper  than making it, even not counting time 

HerNameIsBuffy, depending on when a person learns to sew, yes, that could be a beginner/grade school project. I was in 4-H from the time I was 8, and our first project was a simple apron, and we helped with basic curtains for the 4-H building. A friend of mine and I made matching jumpers (not gathered like the frumpers) the summer between 3rd and 4th grade. I made a lot of my clothes in HS, and my sister made a wool coat with a full fake fur lining her sophomore year.  The key is practice, and a decent teacher, if possible.  My 4-h sewing leader was great, and my mom had taken tailoring classes, so I had people to show me how to do it. 

I will repeat what I've said before. why fundies don't start their own 4-H clubs to learn a lot of these skills I'll never know. 

That said, I don't sew much lately and would have to start with an apron again, probably.  The machine I bought 35 years ago was iffy then and a piece of junk now, and decent fabric is expensive... buying clothing is often cheaper  than making it, even not counting time 

That is amazing.  My mom could sew beautifully, but I never had the interest to learn and I wish I had.

I guess I'm happy to see the Maxwell inmates are keeping busy with sewing projects, morale is important. 

Aww, now I'm envisioning a girl excitedly opening her box and pulling out...some yarn.  What a letdown if you don't know how to knit or crochet.  

Pollyanna situation. You hope for a doll, you get crutches. Thanks, Maxwells. 

I would imagine that if Teri had to teach herself to sew so that she in turn could teach the Maxgirls, they're probably not very good at it, especially if the work on those purses is any indication. From what they show on the blog, they sew only the most basic pieces—simple frumpers and plain A-line skirts. I don't think I've ever seen a ruffle or anything else decorative that might indicate some skill. Hell, the stitching on those purses is all over the place and they can't even turn a clean seam. 

I learned to sew in 7th grade home ec and took to it right away once I discovered that my English teacher, who was probably the most stylish person I'd ever met, revealed that she sewed her own clothes. I ended up making almost all of mine, made all of the dresses for my wedding, Halloween costumes for my daughter and niece and nephew, curtains, slipcovers, you name it. I also studied—continuing ed classes at Parsons—so that I could improve my skills and I was pretty damned good at it. Even as a beginner, I took care that my work looked like a lot of care went into it. I may be hypercritical and judgmental, but damn, I would never have let anything like those Maxhell purses out of my hands. That's what took four adults all day?

Anna Marie was very faithful to cut out purses.

WTF does this mean?

She cut out pattern pieces that were to be sewn into purses. I don't like the way fundies use the word 'faithful,' but I see it all the time. 

I got what she was doing, I just don't get why one would choose that particular adjective to describe they action at hand.  I guess I should be happy Sarah didn't use 'sweet' to describe it.

When the only book you read is KJV1611, your vocabulary tends to become a little dated.

Can we talk about the piss poor sewing on those purses? Unless the work was done by Abby and Bethie, in which case I take it back, it looks like a really half assed job. Where are Mary's much crowed about sewing skills? 

Maybe I'm the only one who thinks this, but OMG The patterns!!  The colors!!!  My eyes!!   :ENVOUTER:

Were there not more eye-pleasing patterns or colors they could have chosen to use for the fabric on those bags? Also, a thought just occurred to me - could you imagine them using any of that fabric again if they ever reverted to their matching frumper glory days?

In other Maxwell news, I don't remember how I found this page, but it appears that the Maxwells have a webpage for cash donations to Titus 2:

https://www.titus2.com/support-titus2.html

https://cash.me/$Titus2

Anyone else spot this?  Anyone know how long they've had this?

Holy Cow. :COLERE:

We are regularly asked about donations to Titus2.

We are deeply grateful for those who do support us with their gifts, but Titus2 is not a 501-C3 entity. Therefore gifts given to us can not be deducted from your federal income tax. For both our church and Titus2 we have chosen not to register with the government as tax-exempt nonprofit organizations so as to remain free of government constraints imposed on such organizations.

There are two ways you can help us financially. The first is you can donate via debit card through our Square Cash page. It's extremely easy! Or, you can mail a check to: Titus2, 1504 Santa Fe St, Leavenworth, KS 66048

Thank you.

So they will just take a check from people because...Jesus.  That's pretty crazy.  I wonder if they took a leaf out of the Duggars' book?  Because I sure don't remember them soliciting for money before. I find it hard to imagine that proud Stevehovah has come to this -- just begging for money.  I guess he can justify this by pretending to himself that it is all God's will.  If God chooses to move people so that they are showering the Maxwells with greenbacks, so be it.  Of course God could have turned the Moody books into runaway best sellers or  1Ton into a prosperous little business, but you know God-- he likes to be so mysterious.

I love how Steve has to get his little jab into the government.  Taking money from "friends" is NOT the same as welfare, no siree! "We hold no truck with Feds!  We do like money, though."

I don't know about the Square Cash page bit, but the donations blurb has been on site for as long as I can remember. They've also always not-so-subtly shilled for donations at conference. "We won't ASK but if you want to, you're free to give."

Holy Cow. :COLERE:

We are regularly asked about donations to Titus2.

We are deeply grateful for those who do support us with their gifts, but Titus2 is not a 501-C3 entity. Therefore gifts given to us can not be deducted from your federal income tax. For both our church and Titus2 we have chosen not to register with the government as tax-exempt nonprofit organizations so as to remain free of government constraints imposed on such organizations.

There are two ways you can help us financially. The first is you can donate via debit card through our Square Cash page. It's extremely easy! Or, you can mail a check to: Titus2, 1504 Santa Fe St, Leavenworth, KS 66048

Thank you.

So they will just take a check from people because...Jesus.  That's pretty crazy.  I wonder if they took a leaf out of the Duggars' book?  Because I sure don't remember them soliciting for money before. I find it hard to imagine that proud Stevehovah has come to this -- just begging for money.  I guess he can justify this by pretending to himself that it is all God's will.  If God chooses to move people so that they are showering the Maxwells with greenbacks, so be it.  Of course God could have turned the Moody books into runaway best sellers or  1Ton into a prosperous little business, but you know God-- he likes to be so mysterious.

I love how Steve has to get his little jab into the government.  Taking money from "friends" is NOT the same as welfare, no siree! "We hold no truck with Feds!  We do like money, though."

I'm confused.  Why would someone give money to them?  What do they do?  Their "mission" is to give conference where they profit by selling their merchandise.  

And yeah...the constraints would include being accountable and transparently regarding how the money was used so I can see that being a problem when you don't do any charitable work to spend the money on.  They are an isolated, weird, middle class family shilling for donations because...they clean their house and post boring pictures?  Okay...

This is one several ceiling fans that I cleaned on Saturday...and here's a picture...

What kind of people will send me money for this?  Because I'll do it...I can photo essay the heck out of my cleaning my bathrooms.  

Honestly, throwing money at the Maxwells as gifts...because there are no worthy organizations who can actually use that money to help those in need?  

IMG_0040.thumb.JPG.1cb5e4b1e81f30c5cf68a

Seriously I posted a boring picture...is someone going to send me a check?

Let's see:

Did you take initiative?

Did the ceiling fans work and look better after they were cleaned?

Were you blessed?  

Are you going to post at least a dozen or more pictures of you wiping each individual blade?  Each light bulb?

If you answered "yes" to all of these questions, I have a million dollar bill set aside just for you.  :pb_lol:

Let's see:

Did you take initiative? 

If by that you mean I sighed and complained to the dogs that if I didn't clean it wouldn't get done?  Maybe.  :wink-penguin:

Did the ceiling fans work and look better after they were cleaned?

They worked/looked exactly the same since I dust them every week and we don't tend to spatter them with hard to clean substances.  What do they do in that house, anyway?  

Were you blessed?  

I doubt it very much.

Are you going to post at least a dozen or more pictures of you wiping each individual blade?  Each light bulb?

I have several more ceiling fans and I can certainly do that...if this is going to be my new livelihood!

If you answered "yes" to all of these questions, I have a million dollar bill set aside just for you.  :pb_lol:

Is it a tract?  Because you being worried about where I'll go when I die is worth more than a million dollars!  

:laughing-jumpingpurple: :laughing-jumpingpurple:

Why the heck did they stick glitter glue on the 7th grade home ec purses?? They were okay before the glitter.

I am surprised Steve would support something run by someone as worldly as Franklin Graham!

Yeah, I agree that the donation page must've been up for a while because the photo includes Joseph pre-Elissa. I'd forgotten about their creepily-lit photo shoot at that church.

Why the heck did they stick glitter glue on the 7th grade home ec purses?? They were okay before the glitter.

Glitter sounds like too much fun for the Maxwells. I thought it was embroidery. Oops. 

I would imagine that if Teri had to teach herself to sew so that she in turn could teach the Maxgirls, they're probably not very good at it, especially if the work on those purses is any indication. From what they show on the blog, they sew only the most basic pieces—simple frumpers and plain A-line skirts. I don't think I've ever seen a ruffle or anything else decorative that might indicate some skill. Hell, the stitching on those purses is all over the place and they can't even turn a clean seam. 

I learned to sew in 7th grade home ec and took to it right away once I discovered that my English teacher, who was probably the most stylish person I'd ever met, revealed that she sewed her own clothes. I ended up making almost all of mine, made all of the dresses for my wedding, Halloween costumes for my daughter and niece and nephew, curtains, slipcovers, you name it. I also studied—continuing ed classes at Parsons—so that I could improve my skills and I was pretty damned good at it. Even as a beginner, I took care that my work looked like a lot of care went into it. I may be hypercritical and judgmental, but damn, I would never have let anything like those Maxhell purses out of my hands. That's what took four adults all day?

That's just amazing. I'm in awe of sewing skills. Good for you! 

I don't know about the Square Cash page bit, but the donations blurb has been on site for as long as I can remember. They've also always not-so-subtly shilled for donations at conference. "We won't ASK but if you want to, you're free to give."

I agree.  I think only the Square Cash link is new.  Everything else has been there for ages.

Not-so-subtly shilled is an understatement. They outright expect love-offerings, mention them in their conference schedules, have the local coordinators suggest them, and have baskets labeled "love-offerings" prominently displayed on the book tables.  Steve also brings up the not-a-501(c)3 stuff during the business meeting and men's sessions, IIRC.  Per Steve, it's because the evil government will interfere with his preaching ministry if the Maxwells claimed non-profit status.  Actually, I think it is because he would run into book-keeping issues way beyond Poor Sarah's abilities in trying to keep the conferences and "ministry" separate from all the businesses under the Communications Concepts, Inc. umbrella.  Steve is not a fool.

I was always under the impression that NR-Anna has some mad sewing skills, as does Elissa as we know from the 4-H work. You'd think with the two of them as well as Mary, who should at least be slightly above average in sewing skill, making those purses wouldn't be so difficult for them. 

Yeah, I agree that the donation page must've been up for a while because the photo includes Joseph pre-Elissa. I'd forgotten about their creepily-lit photo shoot at that church.

The donation page has always been there. The Square Cash thing is new.

I'm pretty sure Teri has always sewn, she didn't just learn to teach the girls.  There was a whole deal in the original MOTH book about how scheduling gave her the time she wanted to sew and how in just 30 minutes a day she got X amount of sewing done in a year.  Among her accomplishments was sewing ruffles and such onto baby pants and rompers to turn them into dresses. :pb_rollseyes: And she used to sew matching outfits for herself and Sarah, not sure about the younger girls.  

Can we talk about the piss poor sewing on those purses? Unless the work was done by Abby and Bethie, in which case I take it back, it looks like a really half assed job. Where are Mary's much crowed about sewing skills? 

Maybe I'm the only one who thinks this, but OMG The patterns!!  The colors!!!  My eyes!!   :ENVOUTER:

Were there not more eye-pleasing patterns or colors they could have chosen to use for the fabric on those bags? Also, a thought just occurred to me - could you imagine them using any of that fabric again if they ever reverted to their matching frumper glory days?

Some of that fabric is from their frumper days. Both Anna and Bethany were wearing skirts from that fabric (I've seen the skirt before). They've used the green paisley and pink and green flower fabrics for frumpers. The only fabric I have not seen before is the bright pink, orange and blue vaguely African-esque fabric. Anna must have scrounged for this. 

I agree.  I think only the Square Cash link is new.  Everything else has been there for ages.

Not-so-subtly shilled is an understatement. They outright expect love-offerings, mention them in their conference schedules, have the local coordinators suggest them, and have baskets labeled "love-offerings" prominently displayed on the book tables.  Steve also brings up the not-a-501(c)3 stuff during the business meeting and men's sessions, IIRC.  Per Steve, it's because the evil government will interfere with his preaching ministry if the Maxwells claimed non-profit status.  Actually, I think it is because he would run into book-keeping issues way beyond Poor Sarah's abilities in trying to keep the conferences and "ministry" separate from all the businesses under the Communications Concepts, Inc. umbrella.  Steve is not a fool.

Ain't no way Charity Navigator would give them good marks for their "charitable" work or expenses and overhead ratio.

Archived