IGNORED

Maxwells doing their Operation Christmas Child crap again

SPHASH

Operation Christmas Child is probably one of the biggest Christian mission scams out there. I'm really peeved that so many mainstream Christians fall prey to the deceitful operations of the company. 

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Operation Christmas Child is probably one of the biggest Christian mission scams out there. I'm really peeved that so many mainstream Christians fall prey to the deceitful operations of the company. 

Just curious, but how is it a scam? It seems like a more Jesus'd-up Toys for Tots type of deal, which seems nice on the surface, but I'm sure there are ways that it can get absolutely mucked up and turned into a scam.

Just curious, but how is it a scam? It seems like a more Jesus'd-up Toys for Tots type of deal, which seems nice on the surface, but I'm sure there are ways that it can get absolutely mucked up and turned into a scam.

Just google it*, there's enough material and voices against it out there that should put people off from participating. They add a lot of their evangelical, fundie missionary material to each package which degrades the boxes merely as a means to spread their message. It's easy to drag people and even entire families into cults if you act nice towards the kids and abuse their need and poverty as a way to get through to them. 

IMHO, it also awakes material desires in kids. Desires that wouldn't be there if it weren't for OCC in the first place. 

*This article provides a great summary on what could be perceived as wrong with OCC: http://www.newstatesman.com/religion/2013/10/operation-christmas-childs-shoebox-campaign-just-propaganda-tool-christianity 

Here is another article about some of the problems with OCC. If you search there are lots of articles talking about how OCC tries to lure children away from their parents' religion using these boxes, which can cause a lot of problems. Franklin Graham who runs it is just not a good person. 

http://goodwillingly.com/2012/11/think-again-operation-christmas-child

Somewhat more relevant is the argument that the movement can be viewed as highly offensive to those in primarily Islamic countries. This quote by Hodan Hassan, a spokeswoman for the Council on American-Islamic Relations from the preceding article stood out to me: “We have no problem with people going into a country to do evangelical work, but when you mix humanitarian work in a war-torn country with evangelisation you create a problem. You have desperate people and you have someone who has food in one hand and a Bible in another.

And finally, here are my personal hang ups with the movement. Firstly, I have to stop and wonder if it’s not just promoting consumerism, which is arguably why those kids are in the poverty they’re in to begin with.  Is giving out toys to children in other nations just promoting the idealism of Western consumerism, further entrenching developing nations in poverty?  And secondly, I must confess that in the past I’ve always filled the shoeboxes by shopping at either Walmart or the Dollar Store (depending on how far my current schooling had impoverished me that year) which, ironically, both sell products produced by exploited workers, and likely child labour.  Irony?  I think yes.  You always run the risk of having a child open their shoebox and say, “Oh… well… this is cool and all but I made 3000 of these yesterday…”. 

Mary needs to stay away from the glitter.

I don't sew much, but this pattern doesn't look impossible -- certainly shouldn't perplex women who do sew quite often as part of their entire life goal of being homemakers! 

Sewer here, and nope, these patterns are not difficult for someone who sews often.

They aren't even difficult for someone who does NOT sew often. It's an elementary school project. Those Maxwells just don't have any reference frame apart from their own petty experiences. 

From what I remember, Teri, Anna and Sarah never liked sewing that much. Teri had to teach herself in order to teach the girls. She kept the patterns simple. I even remember one post where it was mentioned that Sarah crying because she couldn't get a seam right. 

It was always Mary that was the sewing expert. I imagine that since most of the woman in the household didn't like sewing they always kept patterns as simple as possible. Now, they aren't making skirts and frumpers all the time like they used to, so they probably aren't sewing very often.

Perhaps they've never actually had to deal with anything as complicated as that simple purse?

The bags are quite nice but the glitter crucifixes on the flap.... :omg:

Poor Sarah's writing skills are getting worse and worse.  It reads as though someone has asked her to go through her work and add more adjectives and adverbs to make it interesting, but without helping her to choose relevant words.  

(Teri, was that you....? :) )

I especially enjoyed the sentence:

"Anna made spaghetti and garlic bread so the moms wouldn’t have to go home and fix lunch".

Because it would otherwise be so normal to send your guests home for a lunchbreak in the middle of an activity?!  :my_huh:

Because it would otherwise be so normal to send your guests home for a lunchbreak in the middle of an activity?!  :my_huh:

It does seem that the Maxwells live in some sort of bizzaro parallel universe doesn't it?

They are so sheltered, the chidults really seem to have no idea how society around them functions do they?

I am not a Franklin Graham fan (understatement).

However - I have a problem with criticizing the program as "awakens material desires" in children, or "promotes consumerism". Not unless that same criticism is leveraged against Toys for Tots, first responders who give teddy bears to children at fire or crime scenes, and against every parent who gives their child some gift for their birthday. This is a grasping-at-straws, hypocritical statement.

That is true. My main objection to OCC is that they use gifts to try and convert poor, at risk children. At one point they even bragged on their website about this child who refused to listen to them tell him about Jesus until they lured him with OCC gifts that they told came from Jesus and then they got him into a six week Bible program despite this upsetting his parents. Their main objective isn't to help children in need, it is to convert children to Franklin Graham's version of Christianity.  

I am surprised at the fabric choices. Some are quite interesting almost hippyish. I would have expected something more beige.

Jo-Ann's had a great price on remnants last week- I got some amazing deals for $0.60-$4.00.  Perhaps this is why?  They were on sale for the bolt price, plus 50% off plus a coupon, in addition.  That might also explain the, uh, variation in the outcome of their pattern.

ETA: I just realized that my avatar looks like she is menstruating into a glass of wine.  Odd.

Better than a roast...

I am not a Franklin Graham fan (understatement).

However - I have a problem with criticizing the program as "awakens material desires" in children, or "promotes consumerism". Not unless that same criticism is leveraged against Toys for Tots, first responders who give teddy bears to children at fire or crime scenes, and against every parent who gives their child some gift for their birthday. This is a grasping-at-straws, hypocritical statement.

First responders who give teddy bears don't use the teddy bear to push their patronizing agenda on that kid, they want to calm that kid down and comfort. It is for the kid's sake.  A parent who buys their kid a gift for their birthday most likely does it out of love for their kid, for the kids own sake, for their surprise, joy, fun.

I don't know enough about Toys for Tots to get an idea whether the United States Marine Corps uses it as a way to promote themselves, but what I understand is that they give to children from a similar sociocultural background. 

OCC however, give to poor kids from other cultures. Those kids' poverty is the loophole they use to spread and promote their rigid evangelical agenda further, with little to no cost. As I understand it, the gifts go mostly to kids in Africa and the Middle East.

Those children may otherwise play with entirely different toys than American/European kids. They may need entirely different things than American/European kids.

Yet now an elitist group of people pushes the Western idea of what kids should play with and what kids need on innocent children. The kids who are given the boxes may be happy about it for a while. Or they may not, because they don't even know why they're given a box with stuff once a year when they're needy all year round (some of those kids don't celebrate Christmas, because they're not Christian to begin with). Their friends may not be as lucky and get a box with toys, but now they'd like one too?! The local communities may produce their very own toys for their kids but now people send American toys and stuff and local products are not as interesting anymore. The local holidays may become less important, their own religious celebrations may be sadder because the parents /caregivers do not have the money to buy stuff on those days. Now some kids might start to anticipate Christmas, but for what reason? Because they're given a box of American stuff for free. Are the American toys really appreciated in the children's respective culture? 

I could spin this further and further. To put it all in a nutshell, I think this program's way to "give to the poor" is done in the most self-righteous way possible. Playing around with poor people's needs and yes, desires, with no regard for the kids' individual cultural backgrounds, customs, no respect for what is socially accepted by the children's culture, with no plan to help in any long-term way. It is merely there to calm some people's really bad conscience before Christmas. 

So no, I don't think this is at all a hypocritical statement. It is only hypocritical to assume that the whole world needs (For the sake of no better word) "first world" stuff on Christmas. 

Just google it*, there's enough material and voices against it out there that should put people off from participating. They add a lot of their evangelical, fundie missionary material to each package which degrades the boxes merely as a means to spread their message. It's easy to drag people and even entire families into cults if you act nice towards the kids and abuse their need and poverty as a way to get through to them. 

IMHO, it also awakes material desires in kids. Desires that wouldn't be there if it weren't for OCC in the first place. 

*This article provides a great summary on what could be perceived as wrong with OCC: http://www.newstatesman.com/religion/2013/10/operation-christmas-childs-shoebox-campaign-just-propaganda-tool-christianity 

Oy. Yeah, I kinda figured that would be the long and short of it. Screw OCC and their manipulative bullshit.

When I lived in California my church adopted an orphanage in Mexico.  We who wanted to be involved would be given a photograph of  a child along with a short description (age, height, likes)  Then we could personally tailor a box for each child including a new outfit, one toy, and some grooming products.  Plus we would do extra large boxes for all the children to share which would have books and art supplies in them-- lots of construction paper, paints, crayons, colored pencils, glue, and children's scissors.  This way the boxes were all age appropriate and filled with some practical stuff along with some fun stuff.  The boxes plus diapers and medical supplies were delivered by van twice a year.

These OCC boxes strike me as a lot of trash and wasted effort.  Sure everybody loves getting a gift but when you send something half way around the world wouldn't you like to know whether or not the stuff you sent was used and appreciated?  Of course what the Maxwells are doing is complete nonsense, like so much of their lives.  They are busy patting themselves on the back and thinking how great it is to be so Godly when really they could be doing something really useful-- like making an actual monetary donation to a International charity or buying a goat through The Heifer Project.   The mean part of me wants to send each of the Maxwells a Christmas box full of inappropriate trash and see how they like it.  Maybe send Sarah a basic Sewing for Dummies book, Anna a push-up bra, Mary a Sex and the City DVD, and Teri a glittery phone case with a Skull on it.

Can we talk about the piss poor sewing on those purses? Unless the work was done by Abby and Bethie, in which case I take it back, it looks like a really half assed job. Where are Mary's much crowed about sewing skills? 

The purses are cute, but does a child living in poverty in a developing country really need a purse?  I'm sure there are other things they would need more, or things that would be more fun like crayons and coloring books or something.  

And what if a boy ends up getting a box with a purse.  Won't that turn him gay (and make Jesus cry)?  Way to go, Maxwells.  /sarcasm

The purses are cute, but does a child living in poverty in a developing country really need a purse?  I'm sure there are other things they would need more, or things that would be more fun like crayons and coloring books or something.  

And what if a boy ends up getting a box with a purse.  Won't that turn him gay (and make Jesus cry)?  Way to go, Maxwells.  /sarcasm

I don't think it's the worst idea from what I've read about the boxes. Purses give children a place to put things that are just theirs, in a sense. Perhaps carry around some special trinkets like all children do, or stuff the purses with wildflowers or any garden fruit that could be in their area. (I normally fill my shirt with tomatoes in the summer, but a purse like this would do the job as well.)

It seems in line with some of the suggested gifts on the articles I've read -- hardy plastic plates (practical and personal and special). 

Of course, they also sent flip flops and winter hats once so clearly the Maxwells just lucked out if they packed something even close to appropriate. 

I don't think it's the worst idea from what I've read about the boxes. Purses give children a place to put things that are just theirs, in a sense. Perhaps carry around some special trinkets like all children do, or stuff the purses with wildflowers or any garden fruit that could be in their area. (I normally fill my shirt with tomatoes in the summer, but a purse like this would do the job as well.)

It seems in line with some of the suggested gifts on the articles I've read -- hardy plastic plates (practical and personal and special). 

Of course, they also sent flip flops and winter hats once so clearly the Maxwells just lucked out if they packed something even close to appropriate. 

Those are good points.  I didn't really think about them being useful because they seem pretty small, but for a child that would be okay, of course.  Flip-flops and winter hats, at the same time?  Lol, I guess this is definitely an improvement.

Those are good points.  I didn't really think about them being useful because they seem pretty small, but for a child that would be okay, of course.  Flip-flops and winter hats, at the same time?  Lol, I guess this is definitely an improvement.

blog.titus2.com/2015/06/12/saving-money-more-sharing/

They don't say if they put them in the same box but they mention the hats and show the flip flops. Many people suggest not sending winter wear because you don't know if these will end up in Africa or Russia or wherever. Shoes might not fit, etc. They have no sense of what is appropriate.

Yarn is also strange to me that they assume these girls will know how to knit or crochet. They're very out of touch but that isn't news. 

They don't say if they put them in the same box but they mention the hats and show the flip flops. Many people suggest not sending winter wear because you don't know if these will end up in Africa or Russia or wherever. Shoes might not fit, etc. They have no sense of what is appropriate.

Yarn is also strange to me that they assume these girls will know how to knit or crochet. They're very out of touch but that isn't news. 

Aww, now I'm envisioning a girl excitedly opening her box and pulling out...some yarn.  What a letdown if you don't know how to knit or crochet.  

I think this program would be better if donors were to be assigned a particular child or children and told where they live, what they need, their clothing size, their interests, stuff like that. Then the gifts could be more personal and tailored to the child and their situation.  The Maxwells would still manage to screw that up somehow, though.

When I lived in California my church adopted an orphanage in Mexico.  We who wanted to be involved would be given a photograph of  a child along with a short description (age, height, likes)  Then we could personally tailor a box for each child including a new outfit, one toy, and some grooming products.  Plus we would do extra large boxes for all the children to share which would have books and art supplies in them-- lots of construction paper, paints, crayons, colored pencils, glue, and children's scissors.  This way the boxes were all age appropriate and filled with some practical stuff along with some fun stuff.  The boxes plus diapers and medical supplies were delivered by van twice a year.

These OCC boxes strike me as a lot of trash and wasted effort.  Sure everybody loves getting a gift but when you send something half way around the world wouldn't you like to know whether or not the stuff you sent was used and appreciated?  Of course what the Maxwells are doing is complete nonsense, like so much of their lives.  They are busy patting themselves on the back and thinking how great it is to be so Godly when really they could be doing something really useful-- like making an actual monetary donation to a International charity or buying a goat through The Heifer Project.   The mean part of me wants to send each of the Maxwells a Christmas box full of inappropriate trash and see how they like it.  Maybe send Sarah a basic Sewing for Dummies book, Anna a push-up bra, Mary a Sex and the City DVD, and Teri a glittery phone case with a Skull on it.

Operation Christmas Maxwell! :my_biggrin:

No, how about Maxwell Operation Christmas Kids?  It's better for two reasons.  1. It makes less sense, and 2. It spells MOCK!

I really dislike this program.  A couple of the more evangelical churches in my area do them every year. Last year they had a thing on one of the local online newspapers on what was in the boxes and where the boxes went - Bibles and literature on Jesus, and sent to heavily Muslim countries.  All I could think was "if this were a mosque doing the same collections and sending boxes with literature on Muhammad and copies of the Qu'ran to Christian children, these same people would be screaming in outrage that we're trying to convert their children, but it's okay for them to do it?"  But I tend to agree with most of what the evangelical church does anyway.

Aww, now I'm envisioning a girl excitedly opening her box and pulling out...some yarn.  What a letdown if you don't know how to knit or crochet.  

I think this program would be better if donors were to be assigned a particular child or children and told where they live, what they need, their clothing size, their interests, stuff like that. Then the gifts could be more personal and tailored to the child and their situation.  The Maxwells would still manage to screw that up somehow, though.

Well the program really isn't about getting things to children that they want and need, it is about trying to find ways to convert children, especially in countries where it is harder for Christian missionaries to come in and openly witness. 

I really dislike this program.  A couple of the more evangelical churches in my area do them every year. Last year they had a thing on one of the local online newspapers on what was in the boxes and where the boxes went - Bibles and literature on Jesus, and sent to heavily Muslim countries.  All I could think was "if this were a mosque doing the same collections and sending boxes with literature on Muhammad and copies of the Qu'ran to Christian children, these same people would be screaming in outrage that we're trying to convert their children, but it's okay for them to do it?"  But I tend to agree with most of what the evangelical church does anyway.

I dislike the programme now, but I used to make shoeboxes when I was a young adult, first living away from home.  I didn't know much about Samaritans Purse and I wasn't really aware that the boxes were going to places that might not celebrate Christmas.  I just got caught up in the idea of doing something nice for kids who didn't have much and, at a time in my own life where there were no kids in the family, it gave me something though do that helped me feel connected with others.

I don't blame the Maxgirls for doing what they are doing, when they have never known any other ways of thinking exist.  They have only ever been allowed to respond with gratitude to anything they have been given; why would it occur to them that other people might not be grateful for their gifts?

They are all just playing along with the Keeping Sweet Game,  think. They grew up being punished for any act of "selfishness", and they had any hobby taken away from them if they made it an "idol".  So now they fulfil their natural desires to shop, to make, to bake, by turning them into acts of "giving". They don't have time to stop and think during the day; the only time for reflection is at Bible time when they have to consider their sins against Steve/God.

They don't yet have the intellectual or emotional freedom to think things through the way we do.  That is a real privilege that we have that they don't.

Archived