IGNORED

The Christian Persecution Complex

roddma

Some Christians always ramble about how they are persecuted for beliefs. I  gave my 2 cents on Duggar Family Official when a poster mentioned Coptic Christians being killed by ISIS. . I actually got called stupid for mentioning the Holocaust. In no way am I minimizing what happens to Christians in other lands, but pointed out Christians are far from innocent. Then, there are some who really dont understand suffering, yet holler 'persecution' at every turn. Here' an excellent article.

patheos.com/blogs/godisnotarepublican/2015/07/please-stop-with-the-christian-persecution-complex-youre-embarrassing-the-faith/

I think the Christian Persecution Complex angers me for the very reasons this guy mentioned. Not only is it absolutely not persecution if you have to share your country and rights with others (what are you, five? Are you a poor widdle baby who can't fathom the idea that you're not the only person or interest group in the world?), but it minimizes and outright ignores the actual religious persecution many Christians in other parts of the world face. Though some of the Evangelical types who follow the Duggar line of logic would try to claim that Copts or Orthodox Christians are not "really" Christian because it's not their specific brand of Christianity. So now when I hear an American fundie type carrying on about persecution, I just want to respond with "oh, are you starting up a relief effort to help Christians in Iraq and Syria to escape ISIS or help refugees who may be resettled here? Because those guys sure are facing some pretty bad persecution, let me tell you".

Thanks for the link. I really appreciated the article. 

Unfortunately my mother has this (insert nasty word) habit of listening to the main Catholic radio and yesterday I heard a priest say that also the heathens should respect the law of god because st Paul said that the pagans too will be judged if they refuse conversion. The logic behind such a sentence is so stupid that doesn't even need to be commented. The context though was that in our Parliament people are discussing a law to recognise homosexual couples, probably not with the form of marriage yet, but aat least as civil partnerships. The Catholic Church is trying to describe it as a huge attack against Christianity and in front of those who argue that civil partnerships or same sex marriages are private matters that in no way should be a problem for those not directly interested,  the clergy answers that the this is the law of god and we ebil heathens should fear for our immortal soul and that Christianity is persecuted. Logic at it's finest. :5624795033223_They-see-me-rollinroll:

There's a lot of parallels between this and MRAs. Apparently, not having all the power now means you're a victim of a world-wide movement.

There's a lot of parallels between this and MRAs. Apparently, not having all the power now means you're a victim of a world-wide movement.

I also find it really funny that the sorts of bigots who get up in arms about the world not keeping them so firmly at the top can't decide if the now-more-empowered targets of their hatred can't decide if said now-empowered targets are subhumans or somehow part of a massive international conspiracy to destroy the poor maligned rich Protestant straight white male. At least pick one. With MRAs I find it particularly hilarious: what's going to be, boys -- you seem to think that we're so stupid and helpless that you should be in charge of everything, yet at the same time we women are all somehow so competent and cunning that we orchestrated a worldwide conspiracy to deny you nookie and take over the world. Maybe the bigots are so used to the "fuck you I got mine" attitude that they can't fathom that people fighting for equality and humane treatment just want those things, not to claw their way to the top and then kick everyone else down.

There are some parts of the world dangerous for humanitarians, let alone Christians. A few Bible stories aren't going to change them. I know some mission groups mean well, but why not just send the money instead of uprooting your family and putting them in danger, or better, help your own dang country? I especially feel for kids being raised away from families in no telling what conditions.

I got into a huge debate when same sex marriage was legalized this summer.  I have know this person for years.  I lived with his family for awhile so we certainly know each others beliefs very well.  He, fundi-lite, was up in arms about it.  I shut him up very quickly.  "I know you believe that it's a sin and that's fine.  I don't want the government to be making laws based on Christianity.  Even if they fall in line with my personal beliefs I don't want them making laws based on it.  What if in 10 years Christianity isn't the majority religion?  Are you going to be down for Jewish or Muslim based laws to be enacted?"  I've found that the quickest way to shut up those who cry about persecution when it's not really  persecution at all.

I think the Christian Persecution Complex angers me for the very reasons this guy mentioned. Not only is it absolutely not persecution if you have to share your country and rights with others (what are you, five? Are you a poor widdle baby who can't fathom the idea that you're not the only person or interest group in the world?), but it minimizes and outright ignores the actual religious persecution many Christians in other parts of the world face. 

THIS, this train of thought is why I hate the movie God's not Dead and its eventual sequel, they try and make it seem like not being able to teach their faith in schools makes them persecuted. Also, look at the newest release in line of relgious films; Woodlawn. It's esentially a history re write of racial issues in the 1970's where they claim in Alabama, of all places, that people were 'closeted'  christians. So, if they actually made a film about the actually persecuted people, it would be whitewashed over to fit their specific agenda sadly. :(

This article explains some of the people perfectly:

http://gawker.com/christian-vlogger-couple-admits-pregnancy-was-staged-1724624391

So this vlogger did a stupid pregnancy announcement video and was busted on Ashley Madison. People didn't react to that well, so he thinks it's a sign that he's being persecuted for Jesus. Because he's such a godly person.

The un-acceptance that this world has shown our family has actually been a blessing to me. Let me explain. ...t seems as though the media out there, all the articles being written about us, are trying to put us in a bad light for the most part. And I feel like those are the ones that represent the world. And it makes me think of the verse John 15:19: “If you are of the world, the world will love you as its own. But because you are not of the world, but I have chose you from the world, the world hates you.”

I just think that’s so amazing. “Because I chose you, the world hates you.” God told us we’re going to be hated, so what we’re seeing right now is god’s will being played out for our lives as Christians. We’re being persecuted somewhat.

It's a logical fallacy really. Yes, it's true that Jesus says in the Bible that people may hate and persecute  his followers for doing the right thing.

But what these people fail to see is that just because people criticize you doesn't mean that you're being persecuted for Jesus. Sometimes it might simply be because  you're an ass. .

I think the Christian Persecution Complex angers me for the very reasons this guy mentioned. Not only is it absolutely not persecution if you have to share your country and rights with others (what are you, five? Are you a poor widdle baby who can't fathom the idea that you're not the only person or interest group in the world?), but it minimizes and outright ignores the actual religious persecution many Christians in other parts of the world face. 

THIS, this train of thought is why I hate the movie God's not Dead and its eventual sequel, they try and make it seem like not being able to teach their faith in schools makes them persecuted. Also, look at the newest release in line of relgious films; Woodlawn. It's esentially a history re write of racial issues in the 1970's where they claim in Alabama, of all places, that people were 'closeted'  christians. So, if they actually made a film about the actually persecuted people, it would be whitewashed over to fit their specific agenda sadly. :(

So...Woodlawn is the film equivalent of the people the guy mentioned in the article who were trying to turn the very painfully obviously racially motivated Charleston church shooting into a Christian persecution issue? Jesus fucking Christ.

And yeah, I can see them making a movie about IS persecuting Christians, but replacing all those still Muslim-looking (to them), differently-worshiping Coptic and Orthodox Christians with some wholesome American-as-apple-pie Southern Baptists who just happened to be vacationing in Syria.

So...Woodlawn is the film equivalent of the people the guy mentioned in the article who were trying to turn the very painfully obviously racially motivated Charleston church shooting into a Christian persecution issue? Jesus fucking Christ.

And yeah, I can see them making a movie about IS persecuting Christians, but replacing all those still Muslim-looking (to them), differently-worshiping Coptic and Orthodox Christians with some wholesome American-as-apple-pie Southern Baptists who just happened to be vacationing in Syria.

Sadly, yes I could see there being a film like that where they once again make Athiests into the new ISIS. Ughh... God's not dead 2 takes place about a teacher bringing up God in the classroom and gets in trouble and it goes to the Supreme court which means you know they will have them 'win' even though a small case like one teacher in some high school would NOT go to the supreme court. Just watch the first, they make Kevin Sorbo's character into a mustache-twirlling Villian.

Went off on this on FB Friday. Not my most popular post, but I did get some likes and one, "There are different degrees of persecution." This was in reference to Candace Cameron Bure's claims of persecution on The View.

I wish that people could recognize that losing privilege is not the same thing as losing a right.

If teachers were really practicing what was displayed by the professor in God's Not Dead, there could be an argument. Requiring that students agree and sign a contract that God is dead or they can't pass the course would be wrong. However, this has not been my experience in any college classroom. Will the professors challenge your beliefs? Yes. Will they require you to make your arguments from "reputable sources", which the Bible would not be considered as one? Yes. But requiring all students to sign a statement that God was dead would be religious discrimination against several religions, not just Christianity, and would violate equity rules. The professor created a "intimidating, hostile, or offensive. . . learning environment". But again, challenging or disagreement with one's belief is NOT persecution under most circumstances.

Went off on this on FB Friday. Not my most popular post, but I did get some likes and one, "There are different degrees of persecution." This was in reference to Candace Cameron Bure's claims of persecution on The View.

I wish that people could recognize that losing privilege is not the same thing as losing a right.

If teachers were really practicing what was displayed by the professor in God's Not Dead, there could be an argument. Requiring that students agree and sign a contract that God is dead or they can't pass the course would be wrong. However, this has not been my experience in any college classroom. Will the professors challenge your beliefs? Yes. Will they require you to make your arguments from "reputable sources", which the Bible would not be considered as one? Yes. But requiring all students to sign a statement that God was dead would be religious discrimination against several religions, not just Christianity, and would violate equity rules. The professor created a "intimidating, hostile, or offensive. . . learning environment". But again, challenging or disagreement with one's belief is NOT persecution under most circumstances.

Oh, but dear me they might have to THINK!! 

All jokes aside, sadly this is the case now a days. I actually had a friend who was going to be a brilliant Math professor, but one of his professors 'challenged'  his faith. Meaning he probably asked "Why do you believe what you believe?"Which, I think I could defend my obession with Walking Dead more than he could defend his fatih and thats just sad. I remember from church you are supposed to be able to give an answer for the hope that is in you. The story ends with him taking up a job with like-minded people (Intervarsity) where he needs two real jobs to actually pay for the one he's supposed to make a career out of. It's quite sad, he was such a good friend and utterly brilliant... now its all wasted.

I remember watching a video review someone did of the movie and all I could think was "what the fuck college did the writers go to/what the fuck do they think college is like?" Because I went to a school that could likely be called a wretched hive of liberalism and debauchery, and no professor, no matter how godless, would ever say or do a thing like that. Ask you to contemplate or debate Nietzsche's statement that God is dead? Sure. Challenge you on why you believe something? Of course. But the most inflammatory I've ever heard a professor get was one who voiced a rather negative personal opinion of anti-vaxxers, and was more than happy to have a short debate in class with a girl who was unvaccinated because her parents, coming from a country/culture that was unfortunately used for unethical medical testing by US doctors, did not trust vaccines (and frankly had valid reasons why they wouldn't, even though I still think her parents were wrong). He apologized to her for being so knee-jerk negative, and thanked her for bringing up a valid point about the power relationships between doctors and patients.

Also, what course would require you to do that? That's like the idiots who assumed that a class on world religions would require students to recite the Muslim statement of faith and pray towards Mecca, or fail. By that logic, my class on Indonesian dance would have required me to renounce my US citizenship to become Indonesian. Believe it or not, learning can happen without indoctrination. Funny how that can happen outside of the batshit ATI curriculum.

Also, what course would require you to do that? That's like the idiots who assumed that a class on world religions would require students to recite the Muslim statement of faith and pray towards Mecca, or fail. By that logic, my class on Indonesian dance would have required me to renounce my US citizenship to become Indonesian. Believe it or not, learning can happen without indoctrination. Funny how that can happen outside of the batshit ATI curriculum.

I've also been rolling my eyes at all the "teaching Islam in public schools" posts. What is wrong with teaching ABOUT Islam? It is part of many country's culture and how is it going to harm children to know ABOUT another religion? Unless they are requiring the children to agree with and/or practice a religion, learning about it is just good education!

I am turning into the most liberal conservative. . . .

And let's suppose that all faiths other than your own are Bad Religions, shouldn't you know something about them anyway? They say knowing the enemy helps in winning the war. 

I remember watching a video review someone did of the movie and all I could think was "what the fuck college did the writers go to/what the fuck do they think college is like?" Because I went to a school that could likely be called a wretched hive of liberalism and debauchery, and no professor, no matter how godless, would ever say or do a thing like that. Ask you to contemplate or debate Nietzsche's statement that God is dead? Sure. Challenge you on why you believe something? Of course. But the most inflammatory I've ever heard a professor get was one who voiced a rather negative personal opinion of anti-vaxxers, and was more than happy to have a short debate in class with a girl who was unvaccinated because her parents, coming from a country/culture that was unfortunately used for unethical medical testing by US doctors, did not trust vaccines (and frankly had valid reasons why they wouldn't, even though I still think her parents were wrong). He apologized to her for being so knee-jerk negative, and thanked her for bringing up a valid point about the power relationships between doctors and patients.

I know, the movie was laughable and sadly my friend is not ATI affiliated, well somewhat good, but he went to a regular university of Reno. Btw, I heard GND is based off of a chain letter from the early 90's

It's hard to go plastic when you grew up with a sliver spoon. Christians claim persecution because they're use to being above others. Everyone has to agree with them. They get special privileges that other groups of people do not. The Christian faith is weakening.  Christians cannot use their beliefs to make laws, gay marriage is legal and now more people are leaving the church.  

God's not dead is a stupid ass movie. Apparently Muslims and atheists are evil people. Because you know Christians aren't evil. The most funniest part of the whole movie was the ending. Because you know instead of calling 911 after hitting a person with a car, we must sit in the rain while the person lays there dying and force him to accept Jesus. Btw I'm Christian but I call out bs.

Oh, you guys, it is too true  :my_dodgy:.... look here is poor little Jordan Wooley being forced to say God isn't real in 7th grade in Katy TX.....ok,  probably not exactly accurate.    (see, John Schrader could have just stayed home to be a missionary)

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2015/10/28/student-said-teacher-taught-god-not-real/74727730/   and http://coveringkaty.com/2015/10/27/katy-teacher-instructed-there-is-no-god-according-to-student-testimony-video/  

The school says it was ungraded, the teacher says she was misunderstood and looking at the paper, I"m not convinced anyone was told to say there is no God.    YOu may have to enlarge the picture on the right to see what the assignment really was. 

I think it is interesting that this girl (and her mother) have been in the news already this fall.  She wrote an open letter to her school when they didn't celebrate 9-11 , http://www.resurrecttherepublic.com/katy-isd-principal-snubs-911-memorial-ignores-student-patriot-her-story-and-her-letter-to-the-principal-in-her-own-words/  (NOTE this is a weird site) but it is where any site that mentions her letter connects to, so it is what it is.   Here is a less weird site that refers to the event. 

:NAWAK: So this girl had to identify whether or not the statement "God is real" is fact, assertion, or opinion, and that is how she was "forced to say god isn't real"? Could she not have simply identified that statement as fact? She may have gotten the question wrong, but that doesn't mean she was forced to say he isn't real...

:NAWAK: So this girl had to identify whether or not the statement "God is real" is fact, assertion, or opinion, and that is how she was "forced to say god isn't real"? Could she not have simply identified that statement as fact? She may have gotten the question wrong, but that doesn't mean she was forced to say he isn't real...

But that means she isn't living the Movie God Isn't dead..... and isn't on the news defending her faith.  How is she ever going to pick up her cross for Christ if she doesn't first build a cross?

What I find about the whole Christian persecution thing is that so many people feel persecuted...because my wife and I openly exist. I'm not trying to persecute anyone, I just want my cake/flowers/rental apartment/job/car!

They have gone to far now....

Coming soon to the big screen, hopefully not near you, I'm not ashamed: The TRUE story of  Rachel Joy Scott. Who was gunned down by the shooters of The Columbine massacre... you guessed it.

She was targeted for her faith... 

:lost:  

As a resident of CO and one who remembers this tragedy unfolding in real time, I am livid. Anyone who has read the police reports or searches the internet knows that Rachel was never spoken to by either gunman especially asked about her God/faith. Wanna know something even more sickening? It comes out on the 16th anniversary.:56247904e3b6a_ConanONoes:

That's sickening. I was a senior in high school when Columbine happened. It was innocence lost for my generation and for people to now be making it something it wasn't is shitty.

My take on this, is that some Christians feel that have to look for anything in their lives to label 'persecution' so they feel - I don't know - more holy or godly.  Pastors tell you about real persecution believers elsewhere in the world feel and I suspect to some - deep down - there is that urge to be able to say 'look, I'm persecuted, too!'  

Archived