IGNORED

Christian Rape Culture

FundieFarmer

Obviously, trigger warning.

Today, Homeschoolers Anonymous shared a post that lists the ways that the church is complicit in creating and condoning "Christian Rape Culture." As a survivor, I really appreciated the article (though I think some points are a stretch, and others aren't just limited to Christians), and found myself nodding along in agreement. I thought some of you here might find it a good read too.

homeschoolersanonymous.wordpress.com/2015/10/14/everyday-examples-of-christian-rape-culture/

Yes! I am very happy to see some points of evangelical culture called out for what they are, rape culture. I do also agree that some of the points in the article are a stretch.

I'm glad someone's compiled this list. While I think a lot of the points can be applied to society in general, I think that some of them indeed are specific to fundies.

My pet peeve is blaming women for the way men objectify them. Its internalized misogyny at its worst. It definitely earns you "points" in the system of patriarchy to take some of the heat onto yourself (and womenkind in general) but in the long run it hurts women in very tangible and visceral ways.

I have never understood why anyone would willing allow a person who can't be held accountable for their own behavior to rule over them. The whole "It's her fault. She defrauded him." thing, and then he gets to decide everything in his family's lives? :wtf:

The thing I find most odd about this entire topic is when you reverse the scenario, i.e. put a Muslim or any non-Christian person in...they would scream and cry that it's wrong to assume Allah or whatever deity would condone this action.

Why is it when it's a veiled Bedouin woman that is raped in her hometown it's an atrocity and those who committed the act are super-hella-ungodly and wrong for it.

They should be punished!

But when it's a frat boy with a collared shirt and a "nice" girl who is in the requisite collar bone/elbows/knees outfit...it's "boys will be boys, she should have worn something less revealing/shouldn't have been at a party alone/should be at home minding children".

The whole modesty bit....if a girl/woman decides herself to dress in a certain way that she's comfortable, high collars or no-fine. But the same people who demand and enforce a dress code on their "pure" daughters are (here again) screaming and protesting a hijab, burqa, or veil on a non-Christian woman. The reasons are basically the same for the garb, remove temptation and only allow the "countenance" to be revealed.

I. Don't. Get. It.

Why are the same rules in any other culture wrong...the level of hypocrisy really does get to me. I have friends who refused to put their teenage daughters through any of the sex ed/HIV awareness classes in middle school. Simply because they didn't want them learning about sexual education from a non-abstinence standpoint. Mine went to every one, I refuse to allow her to be victimized due to lack of education. The world is too big, and there's too much crazy out there.

Archived