IGNORED

Has the Arndt family avoided the scrutiny of the www?

circularlogic

BTW I have had excellent results with no Knead pizza dough.

I knead mine very minimally as well.  I never use my hands.  I must be anal, but all that handling of the dough grossed me out.  They are obsessed with the perfect crust...   what about the sauce???

I've gotta go Team Arndt on this one.  Crust is hard to perfect and it doesn't matter how good the sauce is, if the crust isn't right forget it.

I'm a thin crust kinda girl...can't be too thin or crispy.  Any chewiness or squishy feel to the dough and it's in the garbage.  My husband is a regular crust (says I may as well spread sauce on a saltine if I want it that thin.). It's what makes us a mixed marriage and it hasn't been easy because it's tough to find delivery that does both well.

Yeah I have to agree with the Arndts on this one too! The crust is the best part of the pizza! If you don't have a good base you have nothing! Although, I'm not as dedicated as them! :) 

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the guys would need to find special women - the kind who would be willing to register at Toys R Us. 

Not sure about Wizzy.  Does she want a guy who reminds her of her brothers?  A guy who acts his age?

I think the guys would need to find special women - the kind who would be willing to register at Toys R Us. 

Not sure about Wizzy.  Does she want a guy who reminds her of her brothers?  A guy who acts his age?

They will definitely need a kid at heart. I'm not sure what Wizzy would need but probably a guy who can take her out of there! :) 

They will definitely need a kid at heart. I'm not sure what Wizzy would need but probably a guy who can take her out of there! :) 

He only needs one qualification:  a guy who won't wtf at the lifestyle.  That kind of guy could influence, either deliberately or by example, some of the guys into venturing out.  

I am not sure if that guy exists, but I doubt anyone who would give the side eye to any of it would make it past Rick and Cathy for even an afternoon at the ice cream parlor, much less marriage.  If she goes regular guy her best shot is to just elope - they love her enough to grudgingly accept it after a while.  If she waits to do it on her parents terms...

Well, then I would hope she's reading Sarah Maxwell to prepare for her future.

He only needs one qualification:  a guy who won't wtf at the lifestyle.  That kind of guy could influence, either deliberately or by example, some of the guys into venturing out.  

I am not sure if that guy exists, but I doubt anyone who would give the side eye to any of it would make it past Rick and Cathy for even an afternoon at the ice cream parlor, much less marriage.  If she goes regular guy her best shot is to just elope - they love her enough to grudgingly accept it after a while.  If she waits to do it on her parents terms...

Yikes! Poor Wizzy. I wonder if some of the older guys are starting to get frustrated and discouraged. Little Miss Perfect hasn't fallen in their laps yet and they're not getting any younger. 

Yikes! Poor Wizzy. I wonder if some of the older guys are starting to get frustrated and discouraged. Little Miss Perfect hasn't fallen in their laps yet and they're not getting any younger. 

that whole philosophy of not looking and waiting for the perfect woman to show up reminds me of an old bit from Fred Stoller's stand up back in the early 90's maybe?  Something about people always saying he'll find a girl when he's not looking:  When's that?  Am I just going to get up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom and someone will jump out, "Hi, I'm Debbie!  You weren't looking for me so here I am!"

Yeah I don't really know either. Poor guys! They seem to be nice enough, a little drunk on the koolaid that Mama and Papa are serving but nice enough! 

Does anyone else remember the old Dilbert cartoon where Dilbert's co-worker, Wally, receives a box in the mail containing his mail-order bride?

Not sure why I thought of it after all these years...:pb_lol:

Does anyone else remember the old Dilbert cartoon where Dilbert's co-worker, Wally, receives a box in the mail containing his mail-order bride?

Not sure why I thought of it after all these years...:pb_lol:

Because the Arndts clearly need some mail order brides lol! Poor guys! 

I live in western NY.  Have they mentioned where they film in NYS, exactly?  I wonder why they come all the way to NY to film their little movie, it must cost them quite a bit to keep taking trips back and forth.

I live in western NY.  Have they mentioned where they film in NYS, exactly?  I wonder why they come all the way to NY to film their little movie, it must cost them quite a bit to keep taking trips back and forth.

It may be a way to deduct the trip....though if a small business like that doesn't make a profit (however small) at least 3 out of five years, it can be defined as a hobby.... so no more deductions.  (or that is how it used to be years ago)

It may be a way to deduct the trip....though if a small business like that doesn't make a profit (however small) at least 3 out of five years, it can be defined as a hobby.... so no more deductions.  (or that is how it used to be years ago)

Maybe that's it.  I can't see them getting away with it for very long, though.  Vine Valley is most definitely a hobby, lol.  They've been doing this for years now, and nothing has come of it.  

Rick always refers to it as the "Finger Lakes Region"....  if that helps...

I agree. There could be some kind of group-think dynamic as well - who wants to be the first Arndt son to change? I suspect at least one of them has some thoughts of breaking out and finding a girlfriend but they don't want to be the one to upset the equilibrium. Especially as close as they all are, that makes it extra hard.

I agree I think the only one who will may get married is Wizzy, but how intimidating would it be for a young suitor to meet dad and 13 brothers? I think even she has a long shot.

If I were Wizzie (or any of the boys, actually) I'd go with the old 'better to ask for forgiveness than permission' and just elope and come home married - let everyone suck it up.

Wizzie might be able to get away with it, but the manboys? I get the vibe from Cathy Arndt that she'd be way too invested in their marriages and cause discord between the manboys and any prospective wives.

(I've said it before, but my ex-husband's mother was like that. Only with her sons, though, she's more "live and let live" with her daughter- go figure.)

I've noticed in many of The Dad's Diary posts from this October, Rick keeps on commenting about how they are usually filming in NY in October, but this year they are at home.  He seems to be having quite a "difficult" time dealing with that.  In a post from a few days back he says:

I am still adjusting to the fact that our family did not travel to upsate New York this October.  We are enjoyinh the various stages of autumn in our home state.

I wonder what that's all about.  So you go to NY every October but not this year, deal with it.  

I agree. There could be some kind of group-think dynamic as well - who wants to be the first Arndt son to change? I suspect at least one of them has some thoughts of breaking out and finding a girlfriend but they don't want to be the one to upset the equilibrium. Especially as close as they all are, that makes it extra hard.

I agree I think the only one who will may get married is Wizzy, but how intimidating would it be for a young suitor to meet dad and 13 brothers? I think even she has a long shot.

If I were Wizzie (or any of the boys, actually) I'd go with the old 'better to ask for forgiveness than permission' and just elope and come home married - let everyone suck it up.

Wizzie might be able to get away with it, but the manboys? I get the vibe from Cathy Arndt that she'd be way too invested in their marriages and cause discord between the manboys and any prospective wives.

(I've said it before, but my ex-husband's mother was like that. Only with her sons, though, she's more "live and let live" with her daughter- go figure.)

Same here about the vibe with Cathy.   I always suspected that if any of the manboys got married, she would be the interfereing MIL from Hell. 

The manboys do seem very nice and if not for the baggage in the form of overprotective and controlling parents, I think they would be pretty decent husbands.    But neither Rick or Cathy are going to let those boys go, they are reliant on those kids for income, maintaining the home and are extremely emotionally enmeshed with them.   Unfortunately I think that their grip on their kids' hearts and minds is going to remain, because it would be up to the individual manboy to break free and I sure don't see any indicator of that happening with any of them.  

Same here about the vibe with Cathy.   I always suspected that if any of the manboys got married, she would be the interfereing MIL from Hell. 

The manboys do seem very nice and if not for the baggage in the form of overprotective and controlling parents, I think they would be pretty decent husbands.    But neither Rick or Cathy are going to let those boys go, they are reliant on those kids for income, maintaining the home and are extremely emotionally enmeshed with them.   Unfortunately I think that their grip on their kids' hearts and minds is going to remain, because it would be up to the individual manboy to break free and I sure don't see any indicator of that happening with any of them.  

Yeah I think that Cathy would be the most interfering MIL in the world and Rick would just be by her side talking in circles about when this manboy was little or that manboy was little. I too agree that I don't think that they are going to go anywhere anytime soon. It's hard to tell because they haven't given us much to go on lately but I would guess...no! 

Rick always refers to it as the "Finger Lakes Region"....  if that helps...

Thanks, it does!  I'm just a little bit west of the Finger Lakes, actually (south of Rochester).  So the Arndts come to my area, Jill and David Rodrigues are from my area and frequently visit.  Yikes! :pb_surprised:

I think the manboys are Potempkin Villages...Nice on the outside and vacant on the inside.

There's probably some truth to that.   They do seem nice and polite but one has to wonder, given their limited upbringing, how much they could talk about outside of penguins, the eternal project known as Vine Valley, being the greatest family in the world, birthday traditions with cakes in parent's bedrooms.   Most women are not going to last long with a 30 something who is basically a 13 year old. 

In the case that there is some woman (or women) able to overlook the huge WTF factor, there's always Cathy to drive them off.   And probably not overtly, but will go like Cathy talking to Rick, Rick taking manboy involved out for a drive to chat, then there is the family discussion where manboy is encouraged to break it off, making manboy do the parent's dirty work.   And manboy will be so grateful that his wonderful family is looking out for him.

I think the manboys are Potempkin Villages...Nice on the outside and vacant on the inside.

There's probably some truth to that.   They do seem nice and polite but one has to wonder, given their limited upbringing, how much they could talk about outside of penguins, the eternal project known as Vine Valley, being the greatest family in the world, birthday traditions with cakes in parent's bedrooms.   Most women are not going to last long with a 30 something who is basically a 13 year old. 

In the case that there is some woman (or women) able to overlook the huge WTF factor, there's always Cathy to drive them off.   And probably not overtly, but will go like Cathy talking to Rick, Rick taking manboy involved out for a drive to chat, then there is the family discussion where manboy is encouraged to break it off, making manboy do the parent's dirty work.   And manboy will be so grateful that his wonderful family is looking out for him.

If it weren't for Rick and Cathy I could see women like the seven sisters or Rebecca (Eleventy) Kellum and her sister getting along with the manboys, they too are somewhat naive and simple and it wouldn't seem too weird to them that the manboys are a bit immature... however, I wouldn't wish Mama and Daddy on any of those sweet girls. Ugh

Of course that's how it would happen. And the man boys would go on talking about how they are soooo lucky, they were born into the best family in the whole world.

Don't Rick and Cathy want grandchildren? Aren't they the least bit curious to see if they can pull off total control of the next generation, too? Or would it be too risky to allow even one of the manboys to have a tiny measure of independence with a wife and a life outside of their nuclear family? I just can't see how they think their lifestyle and beliefs are so very right, yet none of their sons have had even a hint of a relationship, let alone a normal family of his own. How can they expect to be an example of faith when they are so odd and separate, even from other believers? They don't ever seem to mention other families or friends, for parents or "children."

Plus, Rick may have a need for grandchildren for the Vine Valley series-the storyline might need babies or young children some day. Does anyone besides Rick and Cathy appear in it? I've only seen part of the episode with Cathy and the basket. So slow and dull that it was not worth trying to watch more.

Don't Rick and Cathy want grandchildren? Aren't they the least bit curious to see if they can pull off total control of the next generation, too? Or would it be too risky to allow even one of the manboys to have a tiny measure of independence with a wife and a life outside of their nuclear family? I just can't see how they think their lifestyle and beliefs are so very right, yet none of their sons have had even a hint of a relationship, let alone a normal family of his own. How can they expect to be an example of faith when they are so odd and separate, even from other believers? They don't ever seem to mention other families or friends, for parents or "children."

Plus, Rick may have a need for grandchildren for the Vine Valley series-the storyline might need babies or young children some day. Does anyone besides Rick and Cathy appear in it? I've only seen part of the episode with Cathy and the basket. So slow and dull that it was not worth trying to watch more.

You'd think that they'd want grandchildren but I don't think that Cathy is ready to let go of any of them yet! Which is sad! 

Well, we should all be happy to know that some progress "has" been made in the filming of Vine Valley.  As per Dad's Diary: :clap:

The three of us are about to film a final segment (that is, final of the 2015 season) for Vine Valley.

Archived