IGNORED

Has the Arndt family avoided the scrutiny of the www?

circularlogic

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Attack of The Killer Geraniums?

Isn't Philip the duck guy? An Arndt version of Birds? :wink-penguin:

The suspense is killing me!

I am not proud of what this says about me, but should Vine Valley ever get released I will watch it. All eleventy hours if it, even if I have to travel to do so.

I am oddly invested in seeing this movie series finished. Edited because I just read upthread and yay! Series is way better than a movie.

I am not proud of what this says about me, but should Vine Valley ever get released I will watch it. All eleventy hours if it, even if I have to travel to do so.

I am oddly invested in seeing this movie series finished. Edited because I just read upthread and yay! Series is way better than a movie.

I will probably watch it too. If it's released in Canada or I'll figure it out somehow. I need to see what it is now. What they have spent so much time on! :popcorn2:

I will probably watch it too. If it's released in Canada or I'll figure it out somehow. I need to see what it is now. What they have spent so much time on! :popcorn2:

I know this sounds weird but I don't want to snark watch - I really hope it's good. I'm not expecting it to be a cinematic masterpiece but I'd be happy if it turned out to be one despite my cynicism.

Well, if Rick had more lines in there like below it will be impossible not to snark:

Cathy the Nurse Practitioer: "is it your upper thigh?"

Rick the injured hero: "no, just north of there."

I bet the camera work will be great, though. Those guys are really talented when it comes to that. The Fam Team series is shot so well I forget they don't have a camera crew.

I know this sounds weird but I don't want to snark watch - I really hope it's good. I'm not expecting it to be a cinematic masterpiece but I'd be happy if it turned out to be one despite my cynicism.

Well, if Rick had more lines in there like below it will be impossible not to snark:

Cathy the Nurse Practitioer: "is it your upper thigh?"

Rick the injured hero: "no, just north of there."

I bet the camera work will be great, though. Those guys are really talented when it comes to that. The Fam Team series is shot so well I forget they don't have a camera crew.

Oh I don't think that I would snark either, not too much. Yeah those guys are definitely talented with a camera so at least it's going to be very well on the camera side of things. I don't know about Rick but you never really know.

Oh I don't think that I would snark either, not too much. Yeah those guys are definitely talented with a camera so at least it's going to be very well on the camera side of things. I don't know about Rick but you never really know.

Oh I think Rick will be completely off the rails, as usual. I was blinded by momentary optimism. I actually have no problem snarking on Rick and Cathy, I just feel bad about the kids because they are so darned nice.

I have three kids who are close in age to Phillip, Jacob, and Nathan respectively and they get along (usually) but they aren't close like the Arndt kids. Between college, work, and their own separate sets of friends they don't even see each other that much even though all live at home. I will never come home and see them all playing a board game or making plans to go curling and that makes me kind of sad. I know it's normal, but when Luke said in one of the episodes that they have always been close it's like having your best friends around you all the time...as a mom I felt this pang that my kids don't have that with each other.

Which is crazy, I know, because I would never in a million years want for them the isolation, etc. And as much as I adore them I am not going to sit through day before my birthday songs or have them risk getting frosting on my duvet cover on birthdays! We're a cake in the kitchen or dining room kinda family. For the summer birthdays sometimes the deck, but never our bedroom.

They make the superficial stuff look so good though. Beautiful property, nice house, kids that are more cooperative and amiable with each other than any siblings I've ever know, and they all pitch in and work together when stuff needs to get done with great attitudes. I want THAT part of it...but without the weirdness it had to have taken to make that happen.

I remember in the to pie or not to pie episode a bunch of the guys were upstairs and Caleb was in the basement watching a movie. They called him up to take out the garbage as their ruse to get him upstairs for the pie in the face. His response was "okay." Two of my kids would have replied that they were watching a movie and you're already up there, why are you asking me? Then an argument would have ensued where they'd each claim they do "everything" and the other does "nothing" which would have ended by the other one coming out to do it silently so they'll shut up, roll his eyes and head back to his room because he does everything without bitching. :D

I just don't know how they all turned out so compliant - usually methods to keep kids in line to that degree with backfire spectacularly with some and turn them rebellious.

Yes they do have the white picket fence, wonderful kids who love each other and have respect for their parents beyond belief going on for them. They make it seem so appealing because like you said all their kids seem to be so nice. I sort of feel bad for snarking on the manboys and wizzy. Rick and Cathy are different, they're snarkable because they chose this life. The kids were just born into it. They haven't really continued any kind of hate at this point, sure they parrot what Daddy has to say but who knows what they truly believe. I still want to know how theyre doing it.

Yes they do have the white picket fence, wonderful kids who love each other and have respect for their parents beyond belief going on for them. They make it seem so appealing because like you said all their kids seem to be so nice. I sort of feel bad for snarking on the manboys and wizzy. Rick and Cathy are different, they're snarkable because they chose this life. The kids were just born into it. They haven't really continued any kind of hate at this point, sure they parrot what Daddy has to say but who knows what they truly believe. I still want to know how theyre doing it.

That's the big mystery that makes this family so fascinating...how did they do it? I'd pay real money for a tell all from one of the kids. hopfully there is nothing horrible to report, but just some answers in how you get that many guys to buy into this lifestyle for this long.

Wondering why keeps my brain itchy - I'd love to just know and could stop wondering!

I absolutely will watch Vine Valley, hell, I'll even buy a copy if he sells it and it's not outrageously priced. My fear is that it will be hours of pointless scenery of upstate NY and IL that only Rick sees some sort of spiritual message in. He never talks about having to do retakes of the actual scenes of people with speaking parts. I wonder if that's all been done. Hopefully it's not still yet to be shot.

I will never understand why they still use the parent bedroom as the gathering place for birthdays given the fact they have such a large and beautiful house. They congregate there daily for the family prayer time as well. I have a feeling it's just a tradition. Way back, when they lived in the smaller house in the city, they would have prayer time in the parent's room right before the kids went to bed. Rick often mentions that some of them fall off to sleep during the prayers.

I remember seeing a scene in a barn where there seemed to be just about all of them in the shots. I think some of the guys were playing guitars. I want to know what that's about. The fact that the picture stuck with me still makes my brain itch. Just as much as what they are putting in the vitamins that keeps the boys healthy, strong, and brainwashed.

I remember seeing a scene in a barn where there seemed to be just about all of them in the shots. I think some of the guys were playing guitars. I want to know what that's about. The fact that the picture stuck with me still makes my brain itch. Just as much as what they are putting in the vitamins that keeps the boys healthy, strong, and brainwashed.

From vine valley or one of the Fam Team episodes? I don't remember ever seeing guitars, Philip was the only one I saw mentioned as having musical ability and that was on his turning 20 episode.

I never could get through the Safe At Home series (or even 1 full episode) because Rick's voice lulls me to sleep. Could it have been one of those episodes or are they all Rick curing insomnia like the few I tried to watch?

OT but seriously, is Erika Shupe for real?

Her boxy shirts and hairstyle are really, really reminiscent of my more stereotypically lesbian friends.

I don't follow her, but when I first saw her picture, I wondered if she was an angry closeted Fundie.

I just don't know how they all turned out so compliant - usually methods to keep kids in line to that degree with backfire spectacularly with some and turn them rebellious.

Oh, to know the secret of how Rick and Cathy manage to keep all their sons so cooperative. considerate and happy amongst each other. But agree whatever voodoo they wrought on their kids to keep them this way has to be the same thing that's keeping them at home, not dating, not even close to getting married and starting their own families when several of them have been past the age to do so.

Personally, I think all the kids have some form of Stockholm Syndrome caused by some dysfunctional family dynamics going behind the picket fence and the nice scenes. Not that I think that Rick and Cathy are concealing any strife that goes on, but they have well trained their kids to not seek anything outside of the realm of Mommy and Daddy, who will keep you safe, who know what's best, who are involved and in the know on everything that goes on in their kids' lives even as they become adults. But the the remarkable thing of all is that they managed this with 14 kids.

From vine valley or one of the Fam Team episodes? I don't remember ever seeing guitars, Philip was the only one I saw mentioned as having musical ability and that was on his turning 20 episode.

I never could get through the Safe At Home series (or even 1 full episode) because Rick's voice lulls me to sleep. Could it have been one of those episodes or are they all Rick curing insomnia like the few I tried to watch?

It was a picture on the website, I should have made that clear, but I think that it was said to be one of the Vine Valley scenes. They were all in the huge old barn in upstate New York.

Yeah I tried to watch one of the Safe At Home episodes and it just didn't work for me. No way, no how!

Oh, to know the secret of how Rick and Cathy manage to keep all their sons so cooperative. considerate and happy amongst each other. But agree whatever voodoo they wrought on their kids to keep them this way has to be the same thing that's keeping them at home, not dating, not even close to getting married and starting their own families when several of them have been past the age to do so.

Personally, I think all the kids have some form of Stockholm Syndrome caused by some dysfunctional family dynamics going behind the picket fence and the nice scenes. Not that I think that Rick and Cathy are concealing any strife that goes on, but they have well trained their kids to not seek anything outside of the realm of Mommy and Daddy, who will keep you safe, who know what's best, who are involved and in the know on everything that goes on in their kids' lives even as they become adults. But the the remarkable thing of all is that they managed this with 14 kids.

I agree. There could be some kind of group-think dynamic as well - who wants to be the first Arndt son to change? I suspect at least one of them has some thoughts of breaking out and finding a girlfriend but they don't want to be the one to upset the equilibrium. Especially as close as they all are, that makes it extra hard.

I agree I think the only one who will may get married is Wizzy, but how intimidating would it be for a young suitor to meet dad and 13 brothers? I think even she has a long shot.

As per Dad's Diary, the softball classic is today on their property.

Wow! How exciting! One of the most wonderful days to be an Arndt! :penguin-no:

Wow! How exciting! One of the most wonderful days to be an Arndt! :penguin-no:

I'm not proud

To admit this but if I lived within an hour of the Arndt's I would definitely try to make a Softball Classic!

I agree. There could be some kind of group-think dynamic as well - who wants to be the first Arndt son to change? I suspect at least one of them has some thoughts of breaking out and finding a girlfriend but they don't want to be the one to upset the equilibrium. Especially as close as they all are, that makes it extra hard.

I agree I think the only one who will may get married is Wizzy, but how intimidating would it be for a young suitor to meet dad and 13 brothers? I think even she has a long shot.

If I were Wizzie (or any of the boys, actually) I'd go with the old 'better to ask for forgiveness than permission' and just elope and come home married - let everyone suck it up.

[quote name="Peas n carrots"] [quote name="nokidsmom"] [quote name="HerNameIsBuffy"]I just don't know how they all turned out so compliant - usually methods to keep kids in line to that degree with backfire spectacularly with some and turn them rebellious.[/quote]

Personally, I think all the kids have some form of Stockholm Syndrome caused by some dysfunctional family dynamics going behind the picket fence and the nice scenes. Not that I think that Rick and Cathy are concealing any strife that goes on, but they have well trained their kids to not seek anything outside of the realm of Mommy and Daddy, who will keep you safe, who know what's best, who are involved and in the know on everything that goes on in their kids' lives even as they become adults. But the the remarkable thing of all is that they managed this with 14 kids.[/quote]

I agree. There could be some kind of group-think dynamic as well - who wants to be the first Arndt son to change? I suspect at least one of them has some thoughts of breaking out and finding a girlfriend [b]but they don't want to be the one to upset the equilibrium[/b]. Especially as close as they all are, that makes it extra hard.

I agree I think the only one who will may get married is Wizzy, but how intimidating would it be for a young suitor to meet dad and 13 brothers? I think even she has a long shot.[/quote]

Re: the bolded I think this could be the case. My own FOO had some family dynamics that centered around Mom and Dad wanting to keep their kids safe at home (yep that "safe at home" business really makes me :disgust: ) and as the being the one who left first, changing the family dynamic, upsetting Mom and Dad and being considered the one that broke up the family not only by my parents but also my siblings, it's a tough position to be in. So I really wonder if that's part of what's keeping one or several of the manboys at home. Leaving home and striking out (without or without a girlfriend / wife / partner) is considered A Very Bad Thing [sup]TM[/sup]

If I were Wizzie (or any of the boys, actually) I'd go with the old 'better to ask for forgiveness than permission' and just elope and come home married - let everyone suck it up.

Yeah I think that I would do the same. I mean they do go on trips! They could do it! Poor Wizzy! She's going to need to run away to get away from all those brothers. 

When the grown men were making pizza,it was so boring. They made CHEESE pizza for themselves. No throwing dough or cheese on one another, just calmly trying to make the perfect pizza. BTW I have had excellent results with no Knead pizza dough.

I meant to say perhaps the brainwashing has taken up too much time to keep up with the blog. That shit has to be a full time job. How many fundie families do we know with so many adult children towing the line? None of them have made a break for it or ended up in a sex scandal. Really I think its unheard of.

BTW I have had excellent results with no Knead pizza dough.

I knead mine very minimally as well.  I never use my hands.  I must be anal, but all that handling of the dough grossed me out.  They are obsessed with the perfect crust...   what about the sauce???

BTW I have had excellent results with no Knead pizza dough.

I knead mine very minimally as well.  I never use my hands.  I must be anal, but all that handling of the dough grossed me out.  They are obsessed with the perfect crust...   what about the sauce???

I've gotta go Team Arndt on this one.  Crust is hard to perfect and it doesn't matter how good the sauce is, if the crust isn't right forget it.

I'm a thin crust kinda girl...can't be too thin or crispy.  Any chewiness or squishy feel to the dough and it's in the garbage.  My husband is a regular crust (says I may as well spread sauce on a saltine if I want it that thin.). It's what makes us a mixed marriage and it hasn't been easy because it's tough to find delivery that does both well.

Archived