IGNORED

Erika Shupe *fake smile* Large Families on Purpose Part 2

DaffyDill

Please send a doctor as well, because Little Cody has been bit twice and they've decided to....do nothing :shock:

Not much point sending a doctor to people with this attitude:

Coots had already lost a finger to snake bite, allowing it to rot and turn black on his hand, exposing the bone before it eventually broke off.

His wife Linda kept the blackened fingertip in a jar, telling Coots "I'll always have a piece of you wherever you go."

Idiots.

• Replies 816
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder what an evening in the Shupe house is like after a particularly FJ day online for Erika. 169.gif

I wonder what an evening in the Shupe house is like after a particularly FJ day online for Erika. 169.gif

I'm not sure about Erika, but I imagine that this is what Bob looks like after this week: :roasting:

On the bright side, at least the kids will get a filling meal for once. :?

Yes, I was actually just reading about the Cobb salads. Very troubling. Fat intake is vitally important in the first years of life! I'm shocked that she's feeding toddlers salads for lunch and then forcing them to finish it before getting anything else to eat. That's fucked up and imposing a horrible relationship with food onto them! I'm pretty fired up at the moment. Here's the link. Details about withholding food until they finish are in the comments section where she's giving advice.

largefamiliesonpurpose.com/2011/09/favorite-recipes-karens-cobb-salad.html

Yes, I was actually just reading about the Cobb salads. Very troubling. Fat intake is vitally important in the first years of life! I'm shocked that she's feeding toddlers salads for lunch and then forcing them to finish it before getting anything else to eat. That's fucked up and imposing a horrible relationship with food onto them! I'm pretty fired up at the moment. Here's the link. Details about withholding food until they finish are in the comments section where she's giving advice.

largefamiliesonpurpose.com/2011/09/favorite-recipes-karens-cobb-salad.html

Those salads sound pretty good. With the sunflower seeds, bacon bits, and cheese, there's a decent amount of fat in that meal. Also, idk why it's bad she makes them finish their food. Kids need to learn that food isn't meant to go to waste and that they can't just not finish their meal because they want to eat something more appetizing.

I mean, besides it being boring I see nothing wrong with what Erika is doing. :shrug:

Also, that sentence is not something I ever though I'd say lol.

HAHA! In the comments I've found Erika's motto!

MARIE - Thanks! Oh yes, great ideas for protein variety. I've done that a bit, but for right now with all of the "babies" (four 22-mo. and under) together with the rest of the young group I've resulted to just as simple as possible. *chuckle* Later we'll do more variety. They have their whole lives for variety; they'll be fine

That's really what Erika's answers for everything child rearing boils down to looolll

Those salads sound pretty good. With the sunflower seeds, bacon bits, and cheese, there's a decent amount of fat in that meal. Also, idk why it's bad she makes them finish their food. Kids need to learn that food isn't meant to go to waste and that they can't just not finish their meal because they want to eat something more appetizing.

I mean, besides it being boring I see nothing wrong with what Erika is doing. :shrug:

Also, that sentence is not something I ever though I'd say lol.

That's a decent amount of fat for us. But that's not at all a decent amount of fat for say, a two year old. I think what bothered me so much about finishing the food was how she talked about it; using the word "submission," etc. There was just a very controlling vibe about it.

Erika

Oh yes, my sister introduced me to quinoa as it is very high in protein, but I didn't care for the taste or texture. Of course I didn't try multiple recipes, only one *bashful smile*

Erika

* You can also keep that salad until the next meal and refuse to give any additional or different foods until that first food is finished. We don't throw food away here just because someone doesn't want it. We teach the kids don't just eat our favorite things, we eat what is healthy and purchased and prepared for us, and do so with a good attitude. And if they refuse then they may need more practice in submission and in eating what is served.

So if Erika tries something and doesn't like it, it's only served once *bashful smile* :evil: , but if her children don't like something they get nothing else until they eat it because submission.

:pull-hair:

Erika

Erika

So if Erika tries something and doesn't like it, it's only served once *bashful smile* :evil: , but if her children don't like something they get nothing else until they eat it because submission.

Its all a part of her "do as I say, not as I do" act, though she'd never admit it. She is the queen of doling out advice and not taking it herself. Its one of the things that just chaps my ass the most about Erika. Most people (even fundies) have enough humility to admit that they have done something wrong or are imperfect. Erika would never admit to imperfection in a lot of regards. And if hell froze over and she did admit to imperfection, it'd be buttressed with an explanation of how she was formerly imperfect but now she's seen the light and will never go back to her old ways.

HAHA! In the comments I've found Erika's motto!

MARIE - Thanks! Oh yes, great ideas for protein variety. I've done that a bit, but for right now with all of the "babies" (four 22-mo. and under) together with the rest of the young group I've resulted to just as simple as possible. *chuckle* Later we'll do more variety. They have their whole lives for variety; they'll be fine

That's really what Erika's answers for everything child rearing boils down to looolll

Hmm. I can kind of see where she's coming from, although only a bit. It is good to learn to eat what's placed in front of you, rather than mom having to cook loads of different meals. But then Erika's like "they have their whole lives for variety". Kids who are exposed to a variety of foods when they're young will be more open to trying new things when they're older. Getting the same stuff all the time as a kid seems kinda monotonous to me. Erika does have those recipe folders which seem to contain a fairish number of recipes- although, in that "meal planning" post, there's a photo of a post-it note detailing their suppers for the week. She plans 5 suppers a week (two nights they have standing plans), and in the photo she's only written down three recipes (although maybe that's the highest number that can fit on a post-it note). Erika seems like the kind of person who'd do say a lasagne one night and then just reheat the leftovers for the following night.

That's a decent amount of fat for us. But that's not at all a decent amount of fat for say, a two year old. I think what bothered me so much about finishing the food was how she talked about it; using the word "submission," etc. There was just a very controlling vibe about it.

I guess it seemed fine cause I was thinking about it as only one meal, so it's not that big a deal if it's slightly less fat. I don't know what else Erika serves her kids though. I know she's a health nut, so I wouldn't be shocked to learn she doesn't give the toddlers enough fatty foods. Does anyone know?

I agree Erika is controlling and the submission thing is gross. But I also agree it's important to teach kids not to waste food, and to finish the healthy stuff before they eat the very yummy but not as healthy stuff.

Hmm. I can kind of see where she's coming from, although only a bit. It is good to learn to eat what's placed in front of you, rather than mom having to cook loads of different meals. But then Erika's like "they have their whole lives for variety". Kids who are exposed to a variety of foods when they're young will be more open to trying new things when they're older. Getting the same stuff all the time as a kid seems kinda monotonous to me. Erika does have those recipe folders which seem to contain a fairish number of recipes- although, in that "meal planning" post, there's a photo of a post-it note detailing their suppers for the week. She plans 5 suppers a week (two nights they have standing plans), and in the photo she's only written down three recipes (although maybe that's the highest number that can fit on a post-it note). Erika seems like the kind of person who'd do say a lasagne one night and then just reheat the leftovers for the following night.

Is there something wrong with leftovers (assuming the original meal was nutritionally sound)? I mean, I think Erika's a controlling monster, but there's definitely an ethical argument to be made for not wasting food, and there's definitely a financial argument there considering how many kids she has. I don't like Erika, and I do have a problem with the controlling way that she feeds her family, but leftovers are fine.

HAHA another reply!

"How is posting a photo of Halloween sillyness celebrating Halloween or undermining our principled positions? Seems like your're seriously grasping at straws. Anyone else notice that the date on the first photo is from 2014. Even if you wanted to call these Halloween photos one post is hardly a celebration of the event and everything surrounding it."

No Erika, I'm not grasping at straws. I'm grasping at the wispy little hairs of reasons you keep trying to throw in everyone else's faces.

:dance: :dance: :cracking-up: :cracking-up:

Especially ridiculous considering Erika's been recycling the same halloween post since at least 2012. It might display October 5, 2015 in the body of the post, but check out the actual web address:

largefamiliesonpurpose.com/2012/09/happy-halloween.html

Erika

Erika

Do we know if Erika and Lori have interacted? Because it seems like they would get along tremendously well.

Also, I suspect her reasoning with the food is actually a lot less about being healthy, and more about "eating what is purchased and prepared for us". Or else it only has to meet her definition of "healthy" for a 40-something woman who is trying to lose weight, vs. what is actually nutritionally appropriate for a growing child.

I am a firm believer that sometimes, there is a reason a person (even a very younger person) might want to avoid one food or another. My mother says when I was a toddler, I suddenly started refusing bananas. She'd offer, and I'd refuse and she gave me something else. And I have always found the smell of bananas off putting and have never eaten a banana since then. IF I get a dish that has bananas in it, I'd not eat it (the smell is a warning) and I avoided banana bread, etc. I was in my mid 30s when I accidentally ate a small piece of banana candy. My mouth and tongue immediately began to itch.

Food allergies are a real thing, and forcing kids to eat foods may mean you are forcing them to eat things that give them a bad reaction that their body recognizes, but the child can't put into words.

Plus, if you dish out my serving size of anything, particularly of something I find unappetizing, allergy or not, it is very hard for me to eat the full serving, even when I try (for instance, to be polite). Why would we assume that is different for a child.

A few things...

1. I do agree that it's important to teach kids not to waste food. That's absolutely important! However, vegetables for lunch 5 days a week for small children is just not sufficient nutrition. Also, it's my personal belief that even if finances are tight, there are ways to offer variety.

2.I don't see a problem with serving leftovers at all!

3. Young children go in and out of stages where they eat very little and/or get picky about food. (I have a degree in child development and years of experience working with children in different capacities) This is normal and you shouldn't try to force them to eat. Erika said in those comments that she will save what they didn't eat and keep serving it to them. Maybe that's not what their body needs at the time. Maybe their body is in need of more fat or protein rather than vegetables and here she is offering the same damn salad all day long! That just sounds controlling to me. Like for her it's more important that they eat what she made because that's what she said is for lunch damn it rather than thinking about that particular child's individual needs at the time.

Edit formatting

Erika deleted all the critical comments (of course).

I liked that someone asked her about the Maxwell daughters not being married. I really do wonder what Erika would do if that happened to Karen and Melanie. Does she really intend to send them to school, or is that just something she's saying right now? Will they get to drive? Go places by themselves? Eat chips more than once a week if they feel like it? So many questions, so many pretentious answers from Erika...

I am a firm believer that sometimes, there is a reason a person (even a very younger person) might want to avoid one food or another. My mother says when I was a toddler, I suddenly started refusing bananas. She'd offer, and I'd refuse and she gave me something else. And I have always found the smell of bananas off putting and have never eaten a banana since then. IF I get a dish that has bananas in it, I'd not eat it (the smell is a warning) and I avoided banana bread, etc. I was in my mid 30s when I accidentally ate a small piece of banana candy. My mouth and tongue immediately began to itch.

Food allergies are a real thing, and forcing kids to eat foods may mean you are forcing them to eat things that give them a bad reaction that their body recognizes, but the child can't put into words.

Plus, if you dish out my serving size of anything, particularly of something I find unappetizing, allergy or not, it is very hard for me to eat the full serving, even when I try (for instance, to be polite). Why would we assume that is different for a child.

We have the same banana issue! :pink-shock: Except I never was able to stomach them and would spit them out, even as a baby. Other foods and fruits were fine, but even now, the smell of bananas makes me want to retch.

Koala's comment about the quinoa nails it, though. If Erika doesn't like it, it's off the menu. If the kids don't like it, well, suck it up anyway!

Not at all surprised to see her deleting the comments which push her. Now there's just an odd half to the dialogue remaining on the page.

For those who can't see the Halloween post anymore, it's still there, you just have to keep scrolling. It's at the beginning of October; she seems to pin some posts to keep them at the top, but unpin (or whatever) them when the heat gets too high.

I wonder if Erika didn't pre-rinse her quinoa. If you don't, it leaves the bitter taste from the plant's natural coating. It's super easy to rinse though but if you don't, it is nasty. Because it shouldn't really taste that different from rice!

Sugar is fine for once in a while, but don't buy white flour bread or crackers, or sugary "granola bars", or candy and cookies, or serve top romin type of foods.

Almost as good as "stirophome".

"Top romin"? The heck is that??

I can never figure out what's best: Erika's egregious errors in spelling, or that she credits Bob as the editor and "blog technician."

I can never figure out what's best: Erika's egregious errors in spelling, or that she credits Bob as the editor and "blog technician."

Crying laughing!

Edited to add that the lord provides the content! Let's not forget that important fact!

forcing a kid to clean their plate teaches them to ignore their body telling them when they are full. Erika is setting her kids up for so many obstacles when it comes to food later in life. :disgust:

I've always been a picky eater. As an adult, I've been trying to broaden my palate somewhat. That involves trying foods I can't ever remember eating, but "know I don't like". First up, raw tomatoes. Itchy mouth, yuck. Next to try are avocados. Delicious - until the cramps and vomiting start. Finally I saw an allergist, and it turns out I'm allergic to everything. No wonder I was a picky kid! I remember having constant stomachaches and basically just feeling miserable much of the time. I never connected it to what I was eating, even as an adult, until my doctor asked me more about it. How the hell is a child supposed to vocalize that, instead of just pushing the plate away?

"Top romin"? The heck is that??

Top Ramen. It's heavily processed, super salty, but kinda tasty. I only eat it when I'm sick, since the salt feels so good on a sore throat. It's super cheap, and generally considered "college" food- the kind of thing you eat when you're too broke to buy anything else. You can often get ten packages for a dollar. Michelle Duggar once referred to it as a good breakfast, since it has protein in it.

• happy atheist locked this topic

Archived