IGNORED

Erika Shupe *fake smile* Large Families on Purpose Part 2

DaffyDill

She doesn't have the time? I wonder what Bible verses she would throw at someone who said that very thing! 

Off topic, but I also noticed that for a family who claims to be so into ministry, I noticed that the Rodrigues kids never mention God in videos. I doubt they really teach the kids much about their faith (or anything other than makeup). 

She doesn't have the time? Funny, the time she spends posting articles on Facebook say otherwise.  

:kitty-wink:

• Replies 816
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How much have you watched children play with things that aren't academics-based?  Kids use toys, from Barbies to Tonka trucks, to act out various situations, and to problem-solve.  A few days ago, I was watching a couple kids who were using My Little Ponies in their play, and they had a few ponies start to bully a couple others.  They had the pony-victims stand up for themselves and say that bullying isn't nice and hurt their feelings, and some more of the toys were brought in to stand up for the victims, and it ended with the bullies realizing they were hurting feelings.  Then they all had a party.

That free-play let them act out situations they've encountered themselves or seen, and figure out ways to solve problems.  Kids shouldn't be denied the chance to do that with toys just so they always play with magnets and shapes of states instead.

Kids don't have entirely no structure.  This time is free-play time, and now we clean up for snack time, and now we clean up for story-time or songs.  There's loose structure.  Were we harmed in any way at all by having more free-play instead of academics in our early school years?  Were we harmed by not having our play directed?  Let kids use their imaginations.  That's vital, and if it's killed in the early years because they've learned to wait for someone to guide them, then something in them has been destroyed that they might not get back.

Yes, I have worked in preschools, I have been around children my whole upbringing and I have a child myself, is that enough? I am also a teacher myself and part of my training was to learn how preschools and teaching in younger years work. The only type of experience I lack is going to preschool myself as I started with the prep-year since my mother was at home. 

I love free play and think it should be the base of what children do in preschool, I just feel it has almost gone too far in the other direction here compared to countries where children go to preschools that are mini-schools. I think a happy medium where the teacher utilize their speciality, learning through play but with a more academic twist would be even better. 

Erika just posted a couple of other articles in the past few hours about patience and "making homeschooling a joy, not a fight." Erika. If homeschooling is bringing you down that much, maybe you need to step back from your attachment to homeschooling and assess whether or not you are doing what's best for your children and yourself. I live somewhat close to her and can attest that public schools in this area are a DREAM compared to most of the country. And I can say as a Christian (though probably not the right type), I never ever experienced anything in public schooling that was rebellious or antagonistic to religion. 

The family have been ice-skating! Lacey and Lilly were wearing long(ish) skirts, although appeared to be using training aids most of the time; there is, however, one photo of one twin skating without an aid. I know we've seen the Duggars skate in long skirts, but it just seems dangerous to me. Karen, Melanie and Anna Marie were wearing knee-length skirts, which is likely safer. No evidence of Bob, although I appreciate that he was probably working. 

If you are not playing ice hockey I think skating in a skirt is fine safety-wise. A knee-length skirt is likely much better than a long one but I don't think they are in any more danger than without a skirt. I wonder why at least not the little ones are wearing helmets, falling backwards while skating can really hurt you even if you don't have very high speed. In my country you are often not allowed to skate without a helmet during the time when the rink is open to the public. 

For the poster who asked why they don't do anything charitable that is because those would be "works based" and her and her ilk are already saved don't you know??? I am a former Catholic turned Anglican and it drives me nuts when they say we are all works based and trying to earn our way into heaven. No asshat, I am just concerned for the world and think about what Christ would do. Not to mention isnt legalism a form of works?

Erika just posted a couple of other articles in the past few hours about patience and "making homeschooling a joy, not a fight." Erika. If homeschooling is bringing you down that much, maybe you need to step back from your attachment to homeschooling and assess whether or not you are doing what's best for your children and yourself. I live somewhat close to her and can attest that public schools in this area are a DREAM compared to most of the country. And I can say as a Christian (though probably not the right type), I never ever experienced anything in public schooling that was rebellious or antagonistic to religion. 

But you make sense.  

I don't think it's an attachment to homeschooling that Erika has, it's an attachment to having the perfect fundie family and lifestyle, to mirror people like the Maxwells.  

In another world, had Erika not been fundie, there are a lot of other careers that would have fit her better than fundie homeschooling SAHM.  She'd be great in the military or a shrewd businesswoman.  

For the poster who asked why they don't do anything charitable that is because those would be "works based" and her and her ilk are already saved don't you know??? I am a former Catholic turned Anglican and it drives me nuts when they say we are all works based and trying to earn our way into heaven. No asshat, I am just concerned for the world and think about what Christ would do. Not to mention isnt legalism a form of works?

I couldn't phrase it any better. These "christians" don't act anything like the deity they profess to spend their time emulating.They believe Jesus wants them to do nothing but make babies for the army of the Lord, but what is this army doing? Feeding the hungry? Clothing the naked? Sheltering the homeless? Nope. They're at home making tater tot casserole and writing blog posts about laundry.

If you are not playing ice hockey I think skating in a skirt is fine safety-wise. A knee-length skirt is likely much better than a long one but I don't think they are in any more danger than without a skirt. I wonder why at least not the little ones are wearing helmets, falling backwards while skating can really hurt you even if you don't have very high speed. In my country you are often not allowed to skate without a helmet during the time when the rink is open to the public. 

Fair enough re the skirts. They look fairly floaty/"free" so I imagine movement wasn't hard. Interesting about helmets. I know in my country (Britain) we don't have helmets. I had an ice-skating party for my 10th birthday and my mum fell and concussed herself. No serious injury resulted, but I can see why helmets would be useful. I just don't think helmets are used often in skating, I hadn't heard of them being used in that way until you mentioned it. 

ETA: just googled helmets and skating. It is kind of recommended, but not often done. It does seem like a very good idea.

Popping in to add my limited knowledge to the artificial sweetener discussion.  My husband used to work for the company that developed the technology used to make sucralose - most often sold under the brand name  Splenda.  I keep telling people "You DO NOT want to eat the stuff. If you knew how it was made...."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sucralose

It is hard to find an article on the chemical makeup of Splenda but basically, it IS made from "natural sugar," but what they don't tell you is that the sugar molecule has been washed in chlorine.  It is just as chemically tainted as Aspartame or saccharin.  I get that it is diabetic-friendly, but people see "made with real sugar...but healthy," and get stuck on it.  I especially know a lot of hard core fitness enthusiasts that simply will not give up their Splenda.  We, at our house, will stick with a little sugar in moderation - or honey. 

Side note: Splenda makes me very sick to my stomach and I can instantly tell if I've ingested anything sweetened with Splenda. It leaves a very distinct taste in my mouth and makes me nauseous.  My husband's co-workers tease me that I should work in their tasting department because I can pick out the tiniest hint of certain ingredients, especially sweeteners in different foods. 

Erika needs to educate herself a little better about "clean eating." 

Fair enough re the skirts. They look fairly floaty/"free" so I imagine movement wasn't hard. Interesting about helmets. I know in my country (Britain) we don't have helmets. I had an ice-skating party for my 10th birthday and my mum fell and concussed herself. No serious injury resulted, but I can see why helmets would be useful. I just don't think helmets are used often in skating, I hadn't heard of them being used in that way until you mentioned it. 

ETA: just googled helmets and skating. It is kind of recommended, but not often done. It does seem like a very good idea.

I had to double-check and most skating rinks here in Sweden have in their rules "helmet obligatory", "helmet strongly recommended" or "helmet recommended" and some places have helmet rentals for very little money so I guess it is what is expected here. I would never ever enter a rink without a helmet, I even used one for curling as I felt too tense when I tried moving around with that sliding shoe without a helmet. Once I had a helmet on I could relax because I knew I would not die from head trauma when I inevitably f-d up. I ended up falling and hurting my knees pretty badly but the helmet was not strictly necessary as I never bumped my head though.

Skirts are totally fine. I skate every week and occasionally wear them. Only the kids in hockey lessons wear helmets there. Sometimes they break off their lessons and ask to race us. 

That letter Melanie wrote was odd. the weird circling and underlining was...odd. I don't know how else to describe it other than really, incredibly odd. And did they really just put Skittles in each one? I thought there were supposed to be actual material items?

Do they (and by "they", I mean Erica) realize that the children who receive the boxes probably won't be able to read them? The website says that they go to more than 100 of the hardest to reach countries in the world, most of which don't speak English as a first language.

But you make sense.  

I don't think it's an attachment to homeschooling that Erika has, it's an attachment to having the perfect fundie family and lifestyle, to mirror people like the Maxwells.  

In another world, had Erika not been fundie, there are a lot of other careers that would have fit her better than fundie homeschooling SAHM.  She'd be great in the military or a shrewd businesswoman.  

Can definitely see Erika as a businesswoman in another world.

Do they (and by "they", I mean Erica) realize that the children who receive the boxes probably won't be able to read them? The website says that they go to more than 100 of the hardest to reach countries in the world, most of which don't speak English as a first language.

That's what I was thinking. Aside from the multitude of problems associated with sending OCC boxes, writing detailed messages about salvation in English is not particularly useful. But they shouldn't worry, I'm absolutely sure Samaritan's Purse will have plenty of brainwashing materials handy.

I'm surprised Lacey and Lilly got to send their own boxes, and that Erika would shell so much for that (you're supposed to include cash or a check to help with shipping). I'm sure the kids got to sacrifice their limited selection of treats and stuff for the boxes. While teaching children about giving is a really good idea, it'd just be nice if Erika actually had to walk the talk once in awhile instead of her kids.

Wonder if they get one marshmallow on top of their stevia/Splenda sweetened cocoa post-skating?

Was fixing lunch yesterday for the kids and we had Goldfish crackers with our sandwiches.  The bag was half-empty, and each kid got a small amount...maybe half a handful.  I felt horrible, but resisted the urge to follow it up by giving each child one chocolate chip (we have no jelly beans). 

I thought it was sad in her recent post where she won't take her boys grocery shopping even though they like it, instead they go to manly stores with their dad.

Our sons love to shop with me, too, but Bob and I have chosen to let them have the Daddy shopping trips to Home Depot or the auto repair shop, and I'll do the food and clothing shopping with the girls. *smile* 

What if they have one day have a wife who's too poorly to go to the shops for food and they need to do a food run?  Why is the grocery store a girly place?  Boys and girls (and men & women) should be able to navigate both stores and stores won't a gender or orientation change :bangheaddesk:

Yes, come on, I have seen the father of the extremely religious Muslim family whose child used to go to preschool with my child go to the store, alone AND with his sons. I am sure hers will survive going there and still keep all their manly ways... 

"My husband likes that I wear form fitting things, but we have a house full of little boys, and prefers that I save those types of clothing for in the bedroom even when I exercise I do it behind closed doors so as not to hinder my own children's thoughts."

I wonder how long it took Erica to instill this idea in Bob's head, so that he is the one who prefers her to hide herself from their little boys. Because that was totally Erica's idea. It gives her time alone and lets her think she is hot. And it gives her more control over her sons, or at least lets her think she is controlling their lust.

• happy atheist locked this topic

Archived