IGNORED

Prophet's Prey (movie)

Mary C Doates

It's really good. Lots of film of the community and interviews with Jeffs family members who left the FLDS.

I just finished and I have mixed feelings. I think it was really good. Most of the documentaries I have seen on the subject have been focused on the first person narratives of those who have left the church. This provides a whole new piece of the story. Especially his prison interviews.. At the same time, I question her choice to exclude or only briefly discuss certain things, like the lost boys, the paternity edicts that only some men can father babies, the keep sweet idea, the lack of education.

One thing I really really dislike was the inclusion of the audio of Jeff's raping 12-year-old Merianne Jessop. It was completely unnecessary and exploitative.

I just finished and I have mixed feelings. I think it was really good. Most of the documentaries I have seen on the subject have been focused on the first person narratives of those who have left the church. This provides a whole new piece of the story. Especially his prison interviews.. At the same time, I question her choice to exclude or only briefly discuss certain things, like the lost boys, the paternity edicts that only some men can father babies, the keep sweet idea, the lack of education.

One thing I really really dislike was the inclusion of the audio of Jeff's raping 12-year-old Merianne Jessop. It was completely unnecessary and exploitative.

I agree with you in the Merianne tape. If anyone is thinking of watching the movie, the tape is played about 90 minutes in--could be triggering.

I think the movie was trying to focus on the criminal aspects of Jeffs, and had to get a lot on information in on different topics. Would have loved to have more detail on the community as a whole, but the movie would have been hours and hours long. I thought the photos of Alta Academy and Short Creek were so interesting--nothing like what I envisioned from things I'd read on them. The poor living conditions of most of the people were striking.

I thought it was fantastic. I was thrilled to see Janetta Jessop, who is one of only wives to leave warren, speak. How sad she had to get a job at a nursery in the hope of seeing her mother who shopped there. I like that they used new people instead of the same old Carolyn jessop/Elissa wall stuff. They really could have gone on for hours - there are so many ex members with fascinating stories to tell.

And the fact that there are thousands of flds in Mexico - people who have vanished without a trace - that should be investigated next. I cannot wait until Warren dies; he really enjoys seeing people suffer.

I really hope this one makes it somewhere accessible to me. Then I'll just need some time alone to watch it. It sounds like it's definitely not for kids and hubs isn't even remotely interested in this sort of thing.

I read you can sign up for a 30 day free trial of showtime streaming, so theoretically you could do that and watch it.

And the fact that there are thousands of flds in Mexico - people who have vanished without a trace - that should be investigated next. I cannot wait until Warren dies; he really enjoys seeing people suffer.

Yes he does.

Archived