IGNORED

Maine Shcool Bans Dance Over Grinding Blames MTV

roddma

Hey! It's a modern day Footloose! Since he wants to ban "VHS", he can start with that one. :P

I have a teen who probably couldn't tell me what channel MTv or VH1 is on. Are they even relevant these days?

They are not. I teach teenagers, and I don't know any who still watch either.

Besides, MTV and VHS are all about reality shows now, so I'm not sure how they'd get grinding from watching those shows.

It is so bizarre how different regions/schools choose to deal with things. When my nephew started 7th grade, he was telling me about how there are city-wide school dances for Boston students in the 7th and 8th grade. He had been to the first of seven scheduled dances for the year and said he had a great time. He told me that the dances were held in West Roxbury (a fairly nice part of Boston) at the Holy Name Parish. My niece (5th grade) started laughing at this wholesome description of these events and said "Hey Auntie Woosh - look up Holy Name Dance on urban dictionary". :pink-shock:

All his friends were allowed to attend, they always seemed to have a great time, and most of their mischievous and scandalous Jr High activities were entirely unrelated to these evenings of mayhem :wink-kitty:

Urban Dictionary - Holy Name Dance

The holy name dance is a crazy dance in west roxbury massachusetts. Everyone goes wild there are like no chaperones. Its grinding right and hooking up left. Even if you are ugly you are bound to have a good time at this dance. Holy Name is the place to be its the best dance alive.

Girl A." Hey how many guys did u get with at holy name dance."

Girl B. " I can't count."

Boy A. "Dayumn I didnt get tickets to holyname."

Boy B. " Sucks for you its the best dance ever."

Fundies and those with a fundie like mindset really do seem to be stuck in the 80s. What's next, railing against Dungeons and Dragons and heavy metal music?

This isn't 1985, when MTV showed music videos.

Actually in parts of Maine it probably IS still 1985! Ha!

I will say that while down here in enlightened NH we have never cancelled dances, I can see the principal's frustration. Keep in mind that most anything outside of Portland is rural without a lot to do. No real public transportation. No malls. I grew up in the same town, NH. Red SOLO cups anyone?

Kids do watch a lot of TV and there are music videos on television and internet streaming (the principal is probably the MTV generation so that is what was in his head). And I must say some of the videos are disgusting and demeaning towards women.

Our local hockey club hosted middle school dances at our rec. center to raise money for the teams. The hockey parents took turns chaperoning the dances. They were awful and that was in 2001 or 2002. The grinding, the boys hands down girls pants, the mauling behind curtains etc. These kids were 11-14. The girls would show up to the dance in parent approved clothing and then change into their dance clothes. I hated chaperoning those dances. I was constantly separating kids and moving boys hands and dragging half naked kids out from behind doors or folded tables. I was embarrassed for them sometimes given the positions I would find some of them in. And I am far from a prude. I would have loved to just stop them, but they made a ton of money for the hockey team and I wasn't in charge. I was so glad to have my kid age out of that group. And no, my kid didn't go to the dances. He had dances at his own really rural middle school.

I think the principal could have made his point cancelling one dance to let the kids know enough is enough, but he probably lost his shit after one too many kids ignored the rules. Perhaps a better punishment would have been to require parent chaperons!

The Fundies don't get is good and bad of everything. Grinding IMO is an activity for adults. Videos have changed a lot. Fundies forget feminist fight against the degrading videos. No, MTV or VH1 . Does anyone remember the 'Remote Control" game show on MTV years ago?

Umm......grinding isn't new. It's been around for a long time.

Yeah really... I'm in my early 30s and when I was a tween the "bad" dance was to bump n wine. I don't remember anyone being told to stop though. The kids who weren't allowed to go to the dance (held in the afternoon instead of classes every couple months) would stay in the lunchroom and play board games. I actually wanted to play board games, but I always ended up going to the dances.

Archived