IGNORED

Bristol Palin Freaks Out About Girls Getting Free Birth Cont

doggie

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This article http://www.salon.com/2015/07/10/11_year ... e_clinics/ goes more into depth on the topic.

From the article:

If Fox’s mythical 11-year-old were to seek an IUD alone, her presence at the clinic would raise red flags for all around her, and any provider or educator with evidence of sexual abuse would be in a mandatory reporting situation with a legal obligation to contact authorities. Rather than estranging young children from caring, protective parents, the goal is to create an additional safety net for children who may be sexually abused, so that they can be identified and helped.

love this

It appears Bristol Palin’s fifteen minutes of fame might actually be coming slowly to a halt. The pregnant ‘abstinence only’ speaker who is famous for being the daughter of failed vice presidential contender and half-term governor Sarah Palin, has been back working at the dermatologists office she’s been at for six years. And kudos to that; at least that’s a solid job that requires some amount of skill and isn’t based off failed political campaigns and unexpected pregnancy.

However, it was at this dermatologist’s office that she recently encountered a woman who was not a huge fan of the reality star. The best part is, the woman didn’t realize she was speaking to Bristol Palin when she revealed she believes “Bristol Palin is such an idiot.â€

Palin wrote in her blog on Patheos recently about her encounter with this hero woman. Please keep mind, Palin is not a fan of proper grammar and punctuation. This is quoted directly from her blog:

“I took a patient back to an exam room, and set up for for a procedure the dr was about to do. (I promise I really do work a normal job, and have for a while.) I was making small talk with the patient while filing out notes… She asked how long I had been there. I told her around 6.5 years, but I had left for school, and done other short term “things†but always came back… She said she had never seen me there before. She goes on to say that she had heard “Bristol Palin had worked there,†and I just kind of laughed. I didn’t say a word. (I never do! DWTS/reality shows – that kind of stuff is so embarrassing for me!!!) Anyways, what was strange about this incident was that the patient continued. She then told me that, “it was a long time ago, when her mom was running. She didn’t work here long.†I still didn’t say a word.

She then tells me, “but Bristol Palin is such an idiot!â€

I about died!!!!!!!!!!!!

I should’ve asked why she said that.

I’m sure she would’ve said something like, “well she’s such a whore†.. That’s all people can revert back to, you know?

All I said back was, “Well actually, I am Bristol Palin and I have worked here, and I think that’s pretty rude you would say something like that.â€

Her face went white!!!

Like I’m sure the biggest foot you could’ve ever put in your mouth just happened!!

I told her the dr. would be right in and closed the door.

The patient ended up apologizing – and even sent flowers that same day! I know she felt terrible, and I know she had no reason to call me an idiot.â€

Bristol's blog is written by Nancy French.

Nancy makes it pretty obvious when you compare samples of her writing to the blog that Bristol supposedly writes. Is Bristol still on her Hawaiian vacation? The last picture on her instagram is yesterday's picture of Piper wearing a sleeveless dress and flip-flops.

Instagram.com/bsmp2/

Nancy makes it pretty obvious when you compare samples of her writing to the blog that Bristol supposedly writes. Is Bristol still on her Hawaiian vacation? The last picture on her instagram is yesterday's picture of Piper wearing a sleeveless dress and flip-flops.

Instagram.com/bsmp2/

Nancy isn't even that good of a writer.

I think it's very helpful to have Bristol Palin involved in the debate around contraceptives for young women. She is a reminder that teenagers have sex no matter what grownups say, and that doing so with contraception can land them with a pregnancy. And that said teenage pregnancy could prevent them becoming educated.

It's possible that the 10 year old is uninsured or under insured, and her parents can't afford BCP or an IUD for her. If she had been seen at a clinic or ER for heavy menstrual bleeding/cramping, a doctor or nurse might have directed her parents towards this program to defray the costs of treatment for her. It doesn't mean she's having sex. Just a thought.

I have endometriosis. If after my daughter had had her period for a year or two and was experiencing symptoms you bet your ass I'd have her to the gyn to talk about an IUD. It can preserve fertility and prevent further chronic scarring and pain.

Im no a Palin fan and havent read all comments, but agree why would a 10 yr old need an implant? Ironic, and this not be a popular opinion you arent old enough to drive, maybe not vote and smoke, but you are trusted with birth control and sex?

Our brains are not fully mature until what 22? If I had kids, I would fully instruct them on the consequences of sex at their age and let them know you are worth much more than that. And one should fully be a responsible ADULT before partaking in such. However you will have the desires which are normal. And furthermore, it places all the pregnancy prevention on the female.

BUt it seem Bristol doesn't want free birth control for any reasons She fails to see not everyone is person of privilege and like said above she needs to close her legs..

I have endometriosis. If after my daughter had had her period for a year or two and was experiencing symptoms you bet your ass I'd have her to the gyn to talk about an IUD. It can preserve fertility and prevent further chronic scarring and pain.

Can confirm, have IUD. Got it partially because I don't want teh baybeez and I travel a lot, so dealing with the pill is pretty inconvenient for me, and mostly because I have periods from hell. It hurts a lot when you implant it if you haven't had any kids, but after a couple days of essentially a kind of nasty period, you should be good to go. My only issue with it is that every few months, I get sort of a mini-period, but my doctor said that by about six months after implantation (coming up next month), that should go away. I also had some nasty acne for the first couple of months after I got it, but with time and judicious skin care, that went away too. I don't know what its effects would be on a younger girl (I'm in my 20s), especially the ones that release hormones (I'd be hesitant to get a prepubescent girl a hormonal IUD like Mirena), but I'm pretty happy and my periods are very light now and going to be completely gone soon.

I would like more confirmed info re bc for 10 year olds than the word of Bristol Palin! In the 1960s, when the pill was very new, my doctor put me on it at the age of 14, because my periods were for 10 days of every 24. My mother did not know it was The Pill; she thought it was medication to help me. If she had known otherwise, as a SEVERE catholic, she would not have permitted it. I wonder how many 10 year olds are truly involved, and their back stories .

Can confirm, have IUD. Got it partially because I don't want teh baybeez and I travel a lot, so dealing with the pill is pretty inconvenient for me, and mostly because I have periods from hell. It hurts a lot when you implant it if you haven't had any kids, but after a couple days of essentially a kind of nasty period, you should be good to go. My only issue with it is that every few months, I get sort of a mini-period, but my doctor said that by about six months after implantation (coming up next month), that should go away. I also had some nasty acne for the first couple of months after I got it, but with time and judicious skin care, that went away too. I don't know what its effects would be on a younger girl (I'm in my 20s), especially the ones that release hormones (I'd be hesitant to get a prepubescent girl a hormonal IUD like Mirena), but I'm pretty happy and my periods are very light now and going to be completely gone soon.

A prepubescent girl would not need contraceptives, being prepubescent.

The hormonal IUD is way better than the pill because it has no estrogen ad because the dose of progesterone is so low, and so localised. It's also way way more effective because you cannot miss a pill.

I just have one question about these pregnant CHILDREN. Who the fuck is letting their daughter be alone with boys at that age? Not counting the few instances that are probably rape, this seems like a LOT of mother's who haven't even learned algebra yet. Also, if this isn't an argument against hormones in our food, I don't know what is. Cut down on the soy people! I didn't think it was so common to start menstruation that young.

You have to include both genders: Who is letting opposite gender minor sons and daughters, especially pre-teens, be alone long enough to get pregnant? I grew up in a religious but non- Fundie home, I was never allowed that much alone time with the opposite gender.

This I would say sometimes sons get away with things more often then female,s because parents say boys can't get pregnant. Again, where is the focus on male responsibility?

In Tennessee , even consensual sex is child rape at 12 and under. I know if worked at a clinic and anyone below 16 came in for BC or an implant, it would raise flags. Yes kid should know about BC, but I also think 'they're going to do it anyway' is a lame excuse. What if we said that about drugs or drunk driving?

You're right. I've told my son and will tell my daughter (sooner than I had planned after this thread :shock: ) it's up to them to make sure they don't have kids they don't want. I'm still struggling to wrap my head around a pregnant 10 yo, let alone several of them.

I would like more confirmed info re bc for 10 year olds than the word of Bristol Palin! In the 1960s, when the pill was very new, my doctor put me on it at the age of 14, because my periods were for 10 days of every 24. My mother did not know it was The Pill; she thought it was medication to help me. If she had known otherwise, as a SEVERE catholic, she would not have permitted it. I wonder how many 10 year olds are truly involved, and their back stories .

My mom went the pill at 16 in 1968 because her periods were really irregular. I always thought my grandmother was sort of progressive for allowing that, now I'm wondering if she just didn't know what it was!

You can't compare drugs and drunk driving to sex. The first are never okay, even in adulthood, and there's no biological drive to do them. Sex is something we want our kids to grow into, and I don't think that it's helpful to outright ban it until a certain age (see nearly everyone who's ever tried). It's far better to prepare them and make sure they're educated, that way, when the time comes (and it's almost always too early from a parental perspective) they can keep it from affecting the rest of their lives.

You have to include both genders: Who is letting opposite gender minor sons and daughters, especially pre-teens, be alone long enough to get pregnant? I grew up in a religious but non- Fundie home, I was never allowed that much alone time with the opposite gender.

This I would say sometimes sons get away with things more often then female,s because parents say boys can't get pregnant. Again, where is the focus on male responsibility?

In Tennessee , even consensual sex is child rape at 12 and under. I know if worked at a clinic and anyone below 16 came in for BC or an implant, it would raise flags. Yes kid should know about BC, but I also think 'they're going to do it anyway' is a lame excuse. What if we said that about drugs or drunk driving?

Granted boys cannot come home pregnant, but as a mother of sons, I certainly did tell them not becoming a father until they were ready (and with someone also ready) was their responsibility as the pill is not infallible, and condoms were an insurance policy that they wouldn't be tied down with a child/paying child support before they were ready to become parents.

I also tried my best to explain the emotional side of having sex with someone. That it is intimate and very personal, and advised them to be choosy and careful about who they had sex with, and to make sure it is with someone they love, respect and trust, as you are sharing with them one of the most intimate but beautiful things you can share.

Who takes this chick seriously? She could actually do something with her life but instead bitching about shit that doesn't concern her. Proves that money and fame doesn't buy class or common sense

I'm not defending the messenger because the overall point is stupid...but 10 year old girls getting bc implants?

10 year olds cannot legally consent to sex anywhere in the US, so if they are in danger of pregnancy they are being raped. Putting them on long term BC so they don't get pregnant from rape maybe preventing the symptom but not protecting them from the violence. Kind of on par with making sure kids who are beaten by their folks have a supply of ice packs and band-aids. The message that we'll address this but allow the cause to continue is very upsetting to me.

I'm all for providing no cost BC for sexually active people who can't otherwise afford it, but there is no consenting sexually active 10 year old...not legally and not morally. If a 10 year old wants/parent wants to put an implant in then there needs to be an investigation immediately for her own safety.

Delurking to say AMEN!!! My youngest is almost 12. If I found out the school offered to give her birth control that'd be the last day she went to school. :ew:

Read in one of the articles on this story (of course, when I go looking for it again, I couldn't find it) that the four girls aged 10 and 11 who were given the IUD were with their parents' permission, and all four were profoundly disabled and wheelchair bound. My developmentally disabled cousin (I don't know her exact diagnosis) started her period three months after her tenth birthday, and was put on birth control to control her out of control periods (one of her first lasted almost six weeks). As she went through puberty (I can think of it starting about 13 or 14), she started to become very sexualized (no filter of what is socially acceptable and not) and she told people she would have a baby when she was 16, so I think having something like an implant or an IUD for her would be a good thing to have as an option (again, her parents would be involved).

For those posters who are ok with hormonal birth control pills being given to girls, which only work if you take them correctly, but not ok with things like the Depo shot, implant or IUD, which require no further action for an extended period of time, why? What about a non-hormonal IUD? Is it just that there is a lack of parental notification? What about children whose parents wouldn't allow them to get it even as adults, if they had the option to control what they did past the age of majority? Or those who are being abused at home?

Really? Really? Talk about helicoptering! Instead of stepping back and transferring responsibility as your kids get older you're going to step in and be more and more intrusive? And then, at some point, maybe when they move out, you'll suddenly be gone? Really?

Just imagining you going on 'playdates' with your fifteen year old and following them around the house.

Why anyone took Bristol at her word is beyond me. If I was even a little inclined to believe this woman, I would've sought out the report she cited and done my own reading of it. Why did those 10 year olds get BC, and is it even true to begin with? Was it a statistic that said "n girls at 13 or less got BC" and Bristol or whomever just "extrapolated" numbers for 10 year olds? This is the same woman who advocates for abstinence only sex ed. It OBVIOUSLY doesn't work, not even when one hits adulthood (!!!!). Anything that comes out of her mouth is questionable, at best.

As horrifying as it sounds that 10 year olds are sexually active, I think we need to be aware that not everyone grew up in the same circumstances as we did. I do think it's possible that 10 year olds are sexually active, either by choice (however little choice it is, given their limited life experiences) or by force. Maybe a poor family or single parent knows enough to get their child on BC but not enough to get them help due to other circumstances. Picture a poor mother that is in this country illegally. She's received services from Planned Parenthood before, which she only found out through word of mouth because she expressed to a friend that she was tired of being pregnant all the time. She is afraid to involve authorities when she finds out someone is molesting her 10 year old daughter, and the best course of action she can think of, due to her limited education, is to get her daughter the same BC she got for herself some years ago. Yes, this shit is real, as much as we'd like it not to be, and the ignorance can be so deep, that even those of us who lived in that ignorant world can't comprehend it years later.

To those people who brought up parents (I'm not bringing in mandatory reporters), and how (a) parents can leave their children alone long enough for this happen, or (b) parents who don't seek help for their sexually active 10yo immediately (nobody said this but some people brought up how they would seek help for their sexually active 10yo): just because you are an available parent who is trying to impart wisdom on their child doesn't mean all parents are like that, unfortunately. There are absentee parents who simply provide shelter and, sporadically, food, but that's it. Children are left to fend for themselves. It may be possible, though far-fetched, for a 10 year old to have enough brains to try to get BC because she doesn't want to end up like the rest of the females in her family. I realize this last bit is probably not the case for those 10 year olds referred to in the report, but in my wishful thinking I would like at least one 10 year old girl to be able to figure out she has choices. I also realize that if a 10 year old girl does have enough wit to seek out BC at such a young age, there would more than likely be an investigation.

TL;DR: Bristol Palin is an idiot.

As a mom of two girls, both of them started their cycles at age 11 (same age that I was), I seriously contemplated putting them on BC to ward off some of the least savory parts of the entire thing-- the majority of women in my family have had debilitating cramps and other not so pleasant side effects of the monthly bleeds. I talked to their doctor about it and was lucky enough to have been given all of the information they had, both on hand literature and a list of internet sites that I could go to in order to become even more informed than I already was (and I am OBSESSIVE about research and educating myself on things, especially when it comes to my kids). Long story short, the girls and I together opted to not have them go on birth control until such a time as they a) needed it due to their cycles being painful/lasting too long/becoming debilitating or b) they decided (hopefully long after I'm dead) to become sexually active. That might not be the "norm" but I have always wanted my girls to have a voice when it comes to their health and their lives; if they ask questions they get the same answers I would give an adult or we defer to a professional because I am smart enough to know that I don't know everything and the last thing I want to do is make a decision FOR them that might negatively effect their lives somewhere down the line. [i did, as a side note, start them on the Gardasil series as soon as the doctor okay'd it, again, with their permission after the doctor had educated them.] As far as 10 year olds being on BC, the links provided by another user only mentioned I think 2 instances where this actually happened, so Bristol freaking out and blowing it up to epidemic proportions is just straight up fearmongering on her (or her publicist's?) part, and for that she ought to be beaten thoroughly with some sort of large stick (no, not really, but at this point I don't think there's a way to talk sense into any of the Palin clan). I can agree that BC should be available free of charge to anyone that seeks it but with someone as young as 10, it really ought to be handled on a case-by-case basis. From what I can gather, that's exactly the way it's happened so I don't really have an argument there.

I do want to thank those that posted with opinions that differ from mine. I am a firm believer in knowing all sides of an argument before speaking, and some of the comments have given me things to think about. I suppose that's why it took me a few days to comment. :wink-penguin:

Archived