IGNORED

Bristol Palin Freaks Out About Girls Getting Free Birth Cont

doggie

Do we know that 10 year olds were actually put on birth control without their parents permission? I would like to see the proof for this. I don't believe a thing that comes out of Bristol Palin's mouth. :cray-cray:

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you think that they'll be peddling nexplanon out of their trenchcoats in schoolyards? I think clearly any time a 10 year old uses this is going to be an exceptional instance, and not the rule.

I don't assume that doctors, teachers, and nurses are completely stupid, but I don't think they are infallible either. Some are awesome, some not so much. Either way, I am just not comfortable with a 10 year old receiving a hormonal implant without a parent's knowledge or consent.

I can't get on board a 10 year old receiving the implant without parental consent either. There is no way a 10 year old can even understand what the implant is about or it's side effects. They may understand sex, getting pregnant and birth control in general but I cannot see them understanding something like the negative effects the implant may have. It's one thing to offer birth control to a 16 year old, it's another to give it to a 10 year old. I am not even sure a 10 year old would know how to fill about the forms necessary to get the implant. Don't you want family medical history or their own medical history before giving them the impact? I understand allowing birth control for older teenagers but I see justification for an implant to a 10 year old. I like to think I am open minded when it comes I most things but I just can't get behind this at all.

I'm no fan of Bristol, but I have issues with schools providing free birth control from a medical standpoint. My sister had a blood clot in her lung from her bcp and there needs to be appropriate education done prior. Exactly why I'm not crazy about pharmacies offering bcp over the counter either. People forget that they are hormones--medication. I don't have an issue with teens getting it, just feel like a PA, NP or Dr should eval PT first.

So how do you suggest that the health dept. address the issue? Should they screen the parents to see if they are assholes first before giving out the free birth control?

I believe that if a girl or a woman decides she needs birth control the she should have birth control. Teen and even pre-teen pregnancy is too big of a problem to deal with by pretending that every parent is reasonable and responsible. Yes, if a 10 year old is having sex then that should be investigated, however I rather she have it than not have it. Maybe she is being abused by a family member or maybe she is having sex with another 10 year old (it happens.) We don't know exactly what happens when a 10 year old asks for birth control, but somehow I doubt they hand over some pills without question.

And Bristol Palin is a complete fool. If she was my daughter I would be horrified but the apple doesn't fall far from the tree and no doubt her mother is applauding her words.

I'm not saying I think they will hand over pills without question. I'm saying that in the case of a 10 year old for whom every single instance of intercourse is non-consensual lumping them in with teenage girls making their own choices makes no sense to me.

If a 10 year old is somehow choosing to have sex with boys her own age - which I'll admit is so foreign to me I cannot fathom it - then that behavior needs to stop immediately and she needs whatever intervention and help necessary to address some very serious underlying issues. Because it's so far outside of the realm of normal because legally and IMO mentally there is no way they can consent because they just don't have the mental capacity. That's such a world away from a teenager making choices I may not personally want for my daughter, but I everyone can understand as it's such a basic human drive.

IOW it's absolutely possible for a teenage girl to need birth control stemming from reasons of choice rather than sexual abuse. I do not believe it's possible, in any sense, for a 10 year old to need birth control because of her own choices because of lack of capacity. So in the latter instance I think the reaction to "I need birth control" is immediate reporting to the authorities and intervention. I believe this would likely happen most (hopefully all) of the time, in which case presenting it as an option starting at 10 isn't the same. If there is an age limit of when they would mandatory report and when they would issue birth control then that should be the age up for discussion.

And agreed to the other posts that sometimes young girls need bc due to hormonal issues with their periods. That's a medical issue and I don't see how it would be any different than other medical issues. A 10 year old can't on their own go to their GP and get on migraine meds or antibiotics without parental consent, so BC if being used as medical treatment and not BC is in the same category, imo. Although I do think every child should have the right to speak to a doctor or other medical professionals without a parent present.

I just don't see 10 year olds as mature or responsible enough to manage their own health care - not one I've ever known. I don't think many teenagers are, over all, either but the risk of sexually active teenagers getting pregnant is mitigating enough for me to personally get behind BC as an exception to parental consent.

If my daughter had come to me at 13+ and told me she was having sex I would try to talk her out of it and get her on BC asap. If she had come to me at 10 I'd have treated it as the assault it is and while being gentle with her started contacting authorities and therapists to address this.

12? Some girls want to have sex at 12...where is the line? I don't know and I'm so glad I never had to deal with this with my own daughter...it's impossible to pick an age but to me 10 is just beyond too young for consent to even be part of the conversation so that's a straight to the authorities for me. If it's two 10 year olds I'm not saying the boy is a rapist, I'm saying they both need immediate help and intervention.

I don't have the cut off or the answers...and I'm not even saying I'm necessarily right as I'm reading some other comments and it's clear there are other experiences out there where what to me is unthinkable is happening. But as someone in favor of universal availability for BC for sexually active people my knee jerk reaction was to focus on 10 year olds and this is crazy. I am not the only person in the public who will react like that and the extreme low age will derail the conversation for a lot of people who would otherwise support providing BC for low income people. Framing the conversation this way will result in less support than they would otherwise get.

Just for clarity, the quotes here got mixed up. I didn't say any of the bolded, even though it was (accidentally) attributed to me. :)

And to answer your question, no :? Not sure what I said to give you that impression. I said very simply, that I am not comfortable with a 10 year old getting a hormonal implant without parental consent/notification.

:o :shock: I had no idea. This conversation is so fucking disturbing. I have a 9 yo that I want to now lock in her room until she's 30. :?

Bristol needs to stfu. She's clearly no expert on birth control.

Now I need to go :brain-bleach: and pretend like my sweet little angel won't even think about sex until at least well into high school.

Just for clarity, the quotes here got mixed up. I didn't say any of the bolded, even though it was (accidentally) attributed to me. :)

And to answer your question, no :? Not sure what I said to give you that impression. I said very simply, that I am not comfortable with a 10 year old getting a hormonal implant without parental consent/notification.

Sorry, I got the quoting messed up. And I pretty much agree with everything everybody else is saying - a sexually active 10 year should be a red flag for a bunch of different reasons. And parents should be very involved in their children's sexual health for quite a few more years than that. But I assume that when such an issue comes up, that it will not be ignored, but investigated. And that in most normal situations, parents would be involved. But if the doctors and nurses think they need this provision, they must have a few ideas in mind of when a reasonable person might need to use it. I'm not disagreeing with any of you, really, just saying that I trust most professionals to do their jobs professionally, you know?

I can't get on board a 10 year old receiving the implant without parental consent either. There is no way a 10 year old can even understand what the implant is about or it's side effects. They may understand sex, getting pregnant and birth control in general but I cannot see them understanding something like the negative effects the implant may have. It's one thing to offer birth control to a 16 year old, it's another to give it to a 10 year old. I am not even sure a 10 year old would know how to fill about the forms necessary to get the implant. Don't you want family medical history or their own medical history before giving them the impact? I understand allowing birth control for older teenagers but I see justification for an implant to a 10 year old. I like to think I am open minded when it comes I most things but I just can't get behind this at all.

you may want to read my post on the last page re: medical records.

I'd have to read the report that Bristol referenced. It is way too easy to pick data out of context and start spinning it like mad.

I think the thing I dislike most about Bristol Palin is that she is incapable of self awareness and (even worse) isn't capable of understanding irony.

Were it not for her mom's meteoric rise as a political icon, Bristol would be a single mother trying to survive financially by clerking at a convenience store in Wasilla.

Haven't seen her have any drive for higher education, which she could well afford.

It is possible for young children/young teens to be prescribed contraceptives for other health reasons. I know someone who was put on the pill long before she was sexually active because she had debilitating cramps and heavy flow, and that's difficult to deal with when you're in middle school. Hormonal implants have effects besides contraception.

All the females in my family have very heavy menstrual flow, severe cramping and periods generally lasting 6-10 days, every month. We have all been on iron supplements to fight anemia. I had all my daughters on BC pills by the time they were 14. I was never worried about them wanting the pill for actual birth control because we talked about all that so I knew when they became sexually active AND of course, when they needed the pill it was there. I was also really careful to let them know they needed condoms to protect them from STIs.

But iud?? Dep Provera?? No way.

I am sure Barstool has the same views about penile implants and anti-impotence drugs, if the genders were switched in this scenario.

To make a long story short...

I am not going to take birth control advice, from someone who has as many baby dads as she has kids. Especially if it comes from some who is very "do as I say, not say as I do", like Bristol Palin.

She's just jealous that she is incapable and unable to do what others do. She and her family have set themselves up so far on their self built pedestal that there is no way she can ever use birth control. She could claim abstinence and have two kids out of wedlock and excuse and justify because people fall for it and in their minds it's all good because of Jesus. If she used birth control it would be all over. They would have no money source anymore. All the Palin's would fade out of news and value and be done...can't, can't, can't do that. They can still keep stupid people's attention by making 'mistakes' but not by making conscious choices.

Birth control pills and condoms? Sure, hand them out. Offer them along with school lunches, and make sure each kid (male and female) knows exactly how they work and what they do and WHY they should use them and HOW they should use them. Get every kid properly protected before they become sexually active and keep them protected after they become sexually active.

But IUDs and implantable devices make me uncomfortable when it comes to pre-teens and young teens. There are different risks and issues associated with those, and if I had a daughter, I think I'd be very uncomfortable with that without us talking in-depth to her doctor.

I much prefer non hormone birth control. I turn into a psychotic bitch on even the low dose stuff (everything but Nuvaring). I know IUDs have their own issues but children going through puberty should be careful with hormones.

Birth Control is tricky. Some girls will really need it as people have stated for medical issues to do with their periods and obviously that's perfectly necessary. I do think that teenaged girls should be able to get birth control without crazy parents saying that it's against Jesus. I don't know if a 10 year should have that but honestly, that's not really my place to judge. And it's certainly not the place of Bristol Palin to judge. Holy shit like someone said she has two baby daddies, and is she even 26 yet? I think that she should close her mouth and stop trying to control everyone else. Get off your high horse and look at your own life.

1. If you go to the actual number it was like 1 ten-year old/year got an implant and thousands of teenagers.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/bri ... 6ad4c73c04 (article links here http://www.judicialwatch.org/wp-content ... ontrol.pdf)

2.Implants are progesterone-only, which is much safer than pills, because estrogen is what causes blood clots.

3. If a young girl did get an implant without parental consent, maybe it was because her parents were crazy fundies!

Bristol needs to sit down and shut up. It amazes me that she thinks people actually care about her opinion. Writing a memoir at 20...bitch please.

Anyway, I went and looked at the actual numbers in the report and there was 1 10 year old in 2014 and 1 10 year old in 2015.

So it's not like there is an epidemic of free birth control being given to 10 year olds, as she would like to paint it.

I think 10 is too young for sex, but when I was in school there was a pregnant 6th grader (I was a sophomore or junior at the time).

I just have one question about these pregnant CHILDREN. Who the fuck is letting their daughter be alone with boys at that age? Not counting the few instances that are probably rape, this seems like a LOT of mother's who haven't even learned algebra yet. Also, if this isn't an argument against hormones in our food, I don't know what is. Cut down on the soy people! I didn't think it was so common to start menstruation that young.

10 does seem rather young for birth control, but contraceptives have uses aside from pregnancy prevention. They can be very helpful for managing hormonal issues. My hunch is that a medical problem of some sort was behind them getting the insert (it's a nicer thought than the other possibilities). If so, I'd think the insert was used rather then oral options as it would provide a more normal life (no daily pill taking) and doesn't risk skipped doses.

Has her publicist or anyone else told her that being pregnant outside of wedlock whist campaigning against it should mean you need to lay low. :penguin-no:

Seriously girls as young as 11 now are getting their period and whist girls at 10 may not be sexually active theres a whole other section for why they may need to start taking the pill. I have friends who have severe period pain and endometriosis that requires the pill for safety reasons.

It's possible that the 10 year old is uninsured or under insured, and her parents can't afford BCP or an IUD for her. If she had been seen at a clinic or ER for heavy menstrual bleeding/cramping, a doctor or nurse might have directed her parents towards this program to defray the costs of treatment for her. It doesn't mean she's having sex. Just a thought.

Archived