IGNORED

It's the End of the World as We Know It

AmazonGrace

Embarrassed disappointment that they were so naive, mixed with relief? My parents kinda/sorta bought into the y2k prepping fad. Companies selling prepping supplies had a lot of people freaked out that systems would crash and normal life would be over. Conflicting reports about the test runs just fueled people's frenzy. Our group went ice skating on a farm pond New Year's Eve. When we walked back to the vehicles the lights in town were fine. Proof that it was all hype gave me a strange feeling of gosh we were fools/but mostly relief. Idk why my parents didn't talk about the places that had already switched over to 2000. :lol: The dino days of being less connected. It seems dumb now but when people are determined to believe something they can be convincing. i'm still so naive that following prepping blogs triggers all those scared feelings. :doh: Nothing wrong with being prepared for normal crap life dishes out but good grief the people making money off scare tactics and lies should have to pay for therapy. Getting over the experience of TVP is bad enough.

I worked at as a computer programmer during the Y2K scare. We did have to change a lot of programs to handle the new dates, but it certainly wasn't going to be the end of the world if one of them crashed. With that said, I had a coworker at the time, a very sweet lady, who got uber-paranoid to the point where she built a shelter in her basement, complete with a small kitchen and a years worth of food. She also made plans with all he family and "loved ones" to be at her place or nearby when the clock struck midnight. I was sick on new years eve and fell asleep. Woke up at 1:00 AM and the TV and lights were still on, I rolled over and went back to sleep.

Yet again, we survived the end of the world. I for one am glad, as I just started watching 30 Rock for he first time and have been told that it gets better somewhere soon after where I left off. :D

Bill Gothard sold an overpriced Y2K kit so ATI families could survive the world crashing.

I was never really worried about Y2K but I remember tons of people being very upset over it. Seems crazy now.

Bill Gothard sold an overpriced Y2K kit so ATI families could survive the world crashing.

I was never really worried about Y2K but I remember tons of people being very upset over it. Seems crazy now.

Jim Bakker is still selling them, I'm not sure what his logic is, but it may be he is preaching mid- or post trib rapture. (While looking for his pricing, he had a dream and God tells him stuff about financial crashes...)

Thisevil bastard man of god is selling buckets of 112 servings of minute rice for 100 dollars. He is selling buckets with 64 servings/14 lbs of dehydrated pinto beans for $100 dollars. (Even other dried food places sell dehydrated pinto beans at 25 lbs for $119, so he's making a killing on this stuff)

I told my husband if we were dishonest, we could be rich; we just have way to many morals to be evangelists.

Jim Bakker is still selling them, I'm not sure what his logic is, but it may be he is preaching mid- or post trib rapture. (While looking for his pricing, he had a dream and God tells him stuff about financial crashes...)

Thisevil bastard man of god is selling buckets of 112 servings of minute rice for 100 dollars. He is selling buckets with 64 servings/14 lbs of dehydrated pinto beans for $100 dollars. (Even other dried food places sell dehydrated pinto beans at 25 lbs for $119, so he's making a killing on this stuff)

I told my husband if we were dishonest, we could be rich; we just have way to many morals to be evangelists.

Sad, isn't it? I honestly thought that Jim Bakker was done after the PTL scandal back in the 80s. He has people in his audience that are my age or older who should know better than to give money to his "ministry"! :doh:

If this rapture thing ever happens I really hope it's on a Sunday.

I will head over to one of the believer church parking lots in an affluent neighborhood and give a couple of ownerless spendy cars a good home.

It was laid upon my heart to help tidy up the aftermath.

Another IP person here. It was a non event for us as well. Programming manager had implemented fourl digit year dates years in the 80s and 90s, because of long range forcasting. Mortages and insurance tables go out 15 to 30 years in the future. My boss made us work overnight just in case but we got a fat bonus check for our efforts. We got pizzas oan watched movies. Sister in law was mad, her twice divorced sister in law scheduled her third lavish wedding for 12/31/1999 and ruined a lot of plans.

Another IP person here. It was a non event for us as well. Programming manager had implemented fourl digit year dates years in the 80s and 90s, because of long range forcasting. Mortages and insurance tables go out 15 to 30 years in the future. My boss made us work overnight just in case but we got a fat bonus check for our efforts. We got pizzas oan watched movies. Sister in law was mad, her twice divorced sister in law scheduled her third lavish wedding for 12/31/1999 and ruined a lot of plans.

I didn't get the memo until today. I have always been told I'd be late to my own funeral. I guess I will be late at the end of the world, too. Today is my birthday. If the world had ended yesterday, I would have missed out on sugary sweet birthday cake icing.

Another month, another failed apocalypse.

These seemed thick and fast when I was a kid, mostly some delusional guy holding a sign saying " The End is Nigh. Repent!" in front of the mall. Definitely at church there were regular calls for a rapture but nothing ever happened :violin: .

I didn't here about this latest one until today. Looks like I have to finish my assignments after all.

Maybe the world did end and we are all on a different string of existence.

Or people like to make stuff up for giggles and money.

I was raised in a church with fire and brimstone preaching. Everyone was always quoting Revelations and talking about the Anti Christ. My mother was a sunday school teacher, so even in the home I was subjected to diatribes about lakes of fire, and eternal suffering. My mother was a good woman and a loving mother, but looking back at how scared I was as a small child, I think this kind of teaching is abusive for littles. My own children grew up just fine without all that teaching.

Can't believe I missed the end of the world. Again! Seems I'm always late to that party. Guess it's his divine noodliness's punishment for busying myself with the wordly things that are not fj. I repent :worship:

I've been singing this all day - sometimes out loud. My coworkers were very happy to see the end of the day if not the world. :D

lol me too every time i read the thread title. Thank you, AmazonGrace :lol:

I was raised in a church with fire and brimstone preaching. Everyone was always quoting Revelations and talking about the Anti Christ. My mother was a sunday school teacher, so even in the home I was subjected to diatribes about lakes of fire, and eternal suffering. My mother was a good woman and a loving mother, but looking back at how scared I was as a small child, I think this kind of teaching is abusive for littles. My own children grew up just fine without all that teaching.

no kidding. It's awful as a kid to have that gripping fear every time the house is empty, that you were left behind.

Another month, another failed apocalypse.

These seemed thick and fast when I was a kid, mostly some delusional guy holding a sign saying " The End is Nigh. Repent!" in front of the mall. Definitely at church there were regular calls for a rapture but nothing ever happened :violin: .

I didn't here about this latest one until today. Looks like I have to finish my assignments after all.

Last year during a harvest festival (not halloween related) in our town square some guy with a bull horn was really disturbing the peace. It was loud enough to hurt our ears even driving slowly past him. Little kids were covering their ears it was that loud. And the guy looked normal, no sackcloth and ashes.

Liveblogging the end of the world:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... -live.html

The false prophet's response:

ebiblefellowship.com/archives/2015/10/08/october-8th/#.VhayeWmKH3Y.facebook

lol that's great. The Rowan Atkinson video someone posted in the comments. :cracking-up:

[bBvideo 560,340:zxbft081]

[/bBvideo]

the ebiblefellowship response, 'we'll just keep reading the Bible!' lol mabye with a slightly different slant...

Liveblogging the end of the world:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... -live.html

The false prophet's response:

ebiblefellowship.com/archives/2015/10/08/october-8th/#.VhayeWmKH3Y.facebook

I just read that link as "edible" fellowship and was wondering what the hell kind of church would that be! :P

I need coffee!

2000 was my favorite end of the world. I was newly divorced from a crazy assed fundamentalist abusive maniac who was threatening to kill me and then blow up our cabin and business and then kill himself, (i wanted him to save a step and just kill himself) . I was living a trailer out on a piece of land on the steese hwy waiting for the end, drinking cheap champagne and watching Jerry Springer, my first T.V. in 9 years...ah...memories...

My mom was/is the same way and I was scared shitless growing up! I hate admitting this but there's still a small part of me that's slightly terrified.

Archived