IGNORED

Shooting at Oregon Community College

MatthewDuggar

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When people start screaming about how Obama is going to take their guns, I can't help but roll my eyes. It takes a fairly long time for anything to get done around here, even without pushback. I would think there'd be more than a little retaliation about the outlaw of guns.

Besides, it would be virtually unenforceable. All of the unregistered guns wouldn't be turned in, because the government simply wouldn't know they existed. Half of the people screaming probably own at least one or two unregistered guns, so they're yelling about nothing. It would be a pointless nightmare.

When people start screaming about how Obama is going to take their guns, I can't help but roll my eyes. It takes a fairly long time for anything to get done around here, even without pushback. I would think there'd be more than a little retaliation about the outlaw of guns.

Besides, it would be virtually unenforceable. All of the unregistered guns wouldn't be turned in, because the government simply wouldn't know they existed. Half of the people screaming probably own at least one or two unregistered guns, so they're yelling about nothing. It would be a pointless nightmare.

I think it is the NRA who pushes such ideas to increase gun sales. all normal people know it is not going to happen but normal people don't stock up on assault rifles and ammo either.

I would love to see the NRA go down...by nonviolent means of course.

I would love to see the NRA go down...by nonviolent means of course.

Hope would that work. it is loaded with lunatics running it. it used to be a sane org but now it is bast crazy its just rubber room and thorazine crazy. really I would not mind ted nugent and Wayne LaPierre having a shootout to the death. Lapierre is such a evil bastard that has caused countless deaths. he is no better then a arms dealer.

Again, looking in from outside, the NRA and other political lobbyists (especially gun manufacturers like Smith & Wesson etc) with a burning "Right to Bear Arms" agenda seem to have way too much political influence in politics in the US.

Just before, or during the time of change to our gun laws, a group of firearms activists tried to join one of our political parties, (the Liberal Party) who were enacting the changes in an attempt to influence the decision making process, but were barred from joining. This group of around 500 shooters took things as far as the Supreme Court, but they still ultimately failed to gain admission.

The NRA seem like a bunch of rabid blowhards with too much importance.

And also consider that the people who would go door to door to pick up the guns would be people who own guns. While I wouldn't be surprised if most police were hypocritical and want to be the only people with guns, I know they wouldn't ALL be OK with that kind of thing.

And also consider that the people who would go door to door to pick up the guns would be people who own guns. While I wouldn't be surprised if most police were hypocritical and want to be the only people with guns, I know they wouldn't ALL be OK with that kind of thing.

I don't know why you should need to collect door to door. You can give 6 months time to register all firearms or to give in unwanted arms for a compensation, past that date anyone who is caught with an illegal weapon gets a 10 years jail sentence as sure as gold. If robberies in homes happen people have the duty to denounce stolen arms otherwise if those arms are used for crimes the registered owner finds himself in hot trouble. It rapidly becomes a self policing system.

As for criminals, with such laws they could end up in jail only for going around armed (with unregistered firearms, because using arms fegistered to your name for criminal behaviour would be very stupid) without having done a thing, even mafia people in the south of Italy don't go around armed, they do so only when they are going to behave criminally, that's still better than always.

You have everything to gain from guns regulations. And you could still own guns!

As for the comparison between luxury items and automatic rifles you must know that it lacks in the logic department. You know the only thing killed by a Bottega Veneta purse is your bank account. To drive a Lamborghini you need to have a driving licence, can't drive past 90 m/h, can't drive drunk, must respect traffic regulations, how can you compare it with an assault rifle, the only regulations for rifles is don't kill people! And then for the dead it's too late.

The nra will never go down. First it's white men Christian privilege. Then there's too much money being made. Look at every gun tragedy and see how gun sales go up. They profit off deaths. The GOP need to get up off their ass and deal with this. Unfortunately anything that doesn't deal with women, immigration, minorities and taking away their rights they won't deal with anything else.

And I'm sick of the mental illness argument being used. I know people with mental illness. I myself had depression. The majority of people with mental illness wouldn't shoot up a school or take multiple lives. People who do things like this are just plain evil.

You already have to report stolen firearms, especially if they're registered to you, or you'll be the first person suspected in the crime committed with it. You do get in hot trouble.

And sure, I know less guns would be great, but that's not going to reasonably happen any time soon. We need to find a way to address the illegal and irresponsible owners. I know that many people here aren't from the U.S. so gun experience and laws are different, but it's remarkable the number of Americans (both here and on other social media channels) who are suggesting things that are already in place. If you're from the U.S. and suggesting those same laws, my guess is you aren't familiar with the way responsible gun owners purchase and handle their guns, and the liability they take on to own one. It would make sense to me to familiarize yourself with what responsible gun owners have to do before giving suggestions that already exist. I think you'd find that the responsible gun owners aren't your problem, and it's not more ordinances against those owners that we need, it's action against the irresponsible owners who are causing these problems in the first place.

You already have to report stolen firearms, especially if they're registered to you, or you'll be the first person suspected in the crime committed with it. You do get in hot trouble.

And sure, I know less guns would be great, but that's not going to reasonably happen any time soon. We need to find a way to address the illegal and irresponsible owners. I know that many people here aren't from the U.S. so gun experience and laws are different, but it's remarkable the number of Americans (both here and on other social media channels) who are suggesting things that are already in place. If you're from the U.S. and suggesting those same laws, my guess is you aren't familiar with the way responsible gun owners purchase and handle their guns, and the liability they take on to own one. It would make sense to me to familiarize yourself with what responsible gun owners have to do before giving suggestions that already exist. I think you'd find that the responsible gun owners aren't your problem, and it's not more ordinances against those owners that we need, it's action against the irresponsible owners who are causing these problems in the first place.

I am Italian and it's true I can't understand what's your problem, I tried but I can't. In the previous page someone said that registering weapons isn't mandatory, so I was explaining why making it mandatory could be a good idea, since here it works. Then now you say that laws already exist. Well then what's the problem in making people respect them?

Not all states require that reporting though: http://prtl-sitea-maigs.nyc.gov/html/lo ... olen.shtml

I know you're Italian- I didn't mean my angst at you! Sorry!

Yeah, I suggested registering guns, because there aren't a lot that are registered. Many of them are inherited, bought illegally, or bought at gun shows where you don't have to register them (gun shows, to me, are a clusterfuck of stupidity, but to each his own). Registering them would be a good first step, but it's an uphill battle because how do you track guns you don't know exist? I was saying that for those that are already registered, for the small percentage that are, you do get in big trouble if it's used in a crime, especially if you didn't report it stolen.

I don't really know how to help make people respect the gun laws. It's really the people who don't that are scary. They're the ones doing drive-by shootings, robbing people, committing mass murders. I'm not convinced that anything would make them follow the laws. That's why I think for them, we need a solution other than laws and registration because they won't follow them anyway. I just don't know what that is!

Sorry if I'm not making sense!

Not all states require that reporting though: http://prtl-sitea-maigs.nyc.gov/html/lo ... olen.shtml

Thanks for the share, FakePigtails. I eat my words. Here, we do.

Well, maybe that's the first step- making this a federal law. Still, I feel it will amount to a very small part of gun control, given how many are unregistered.

I know you're Italian- I didn't mean my angst at you! Sorry!

Yeah, I suggested registering guns, because there aren't a lot that are registered. Many of them are inherited, bought illegally, or bought at gun shows where you don't have to register them (gun shows, to me, are a clusterfuck of stupidity, but to each his own). Registering them would be a good first step, but it's an uphill battle because how do you track guns you don't know exist? I was saying that for those that are already registered, for the small percentage that are, you do get in big trouble if it's used in a crime, especially if you didn't report it stolen.

I don't really know how to help make people respect the gun laws. It's really the people who don't that are scary. They're the ones doing drive-by shootings, robbing people, committing mass murders. I'm not convinced that anything would make them follow the laws. That's why I think for them, we need a solution other than laws and registration because they won't follow them anyway. I just don't know what that is!

You're making sense, sorry Iif I thought you were addressing your post to me.

Well I think that if registration is mandatory everywhere, whatever the means you (general you) got your firearms, it would be a lot easier for law enforcement to check (ie they stop you and searching your car they find unregistered guns, they charge you and you get a hard sentence or your neighbour holds a grudge against you and denounces you for illegal weapons possession, police find said weapons and you end in jail etc) on people. The fact that responsible gun owners would have no problem respecting such laws means that only the nutbags, the dangerous ones would risk to be caught with illegal weapons and to end doing jail time. Only those who have something to hide would have problems, so let's them end up in hot water, get burnt and learn something, this way the general perception and people's behaviour would change very rapidly.

The sensation I have is that Americans love to feel like they still live a bit like in the Old Wild West. Because if they only loved their weapons they would have no problem registering them and owning them responsibly.

I don't know why you should need to collect door to door. You can give 6 months time to register all firearms or to give in unwanted arms for a compensation, past that date anyone who is caught with an illegal weapon gets a 10 years jail sentence as sure as gold. If robberies in homes happen people have the duty to denounce stolen arms otherwise if those arms are used for crimes the registered owner finds himself in hot trouble. It rapidly becomes a self policing system.

As for criminals, with such laws they could end up in jail only for going around armed (with unregistered firearms, because using arms fegistered to your name for criminal behaviour would be very stupid) without having done a thing, even mafia people in the south of Italy don't go around armed, they do so only when they are going to behave criminally, that's still better than always.

You have everything to gain from guns regulations. And you could still own guns!

As for the comparison between luxury items and automatic rifles you must know that it lacks in the logic department. You know the only thing killed by a Bottega Veneta purse is your bank account. To drive a Lamborghini you need to have a driving licence, can't drive past 90 m/h, can't drive drunk, must respect traffic regulations, how can you compare it with an assault rifle, the only regulations for rifles is don't kill people! And then for the dead it's too late.

Actually, the point was that someone asked why do people buy guns if they don't need them, and I was merely pointing out that guns aren't the only item that people buy that they don't need. They aren't even the most dangerous thing that people buy, necessarily.

I am Italian and it's true I can't understand what's your problem, I tried but I can't. In the previous page someone said that registering weapons isn't mandatory, so I was explaining why making it mandatory could be a good idea, since here it works. Then now you say that laws already exist. Well then what's the problem in making people respect them?

I literally don't understand what you are asking.

Here is some info about NC gun laws. I've read some gun forums where people want to move to this area because of our slack gun laws. I think that is a problem.

North Carolina had the 20th highest rate of crime gun exports among the states in 2009–meaning that crime guns originally sold in North Carolina were recovered after being used in crimes in other states at the 20th highest rate among the states. Based on data published by Mayors Against Illegal Guns, in every year from 2006 through 2009, North Carolina was one of the top ten interstate suppliers of crime guns. North Carolina is the top interstate supplier of crime guns to Virginia and South Carolina

smartgunlaws.org/north-carolina-state-law-summary/

http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-gu ... -carolina/

I literally don't understand what you are asking.

Since the poster said that registration is already required I was asking why people don't follow this requirement. Since then another poster explained that registration is not required everywhere.

Wealth and education equality. That's how you solve systematic violence. We have people who have so much money that they can literally do anything. Those people make sure the system is set up.in their favour. Meanwhile, we have people who live in tents. We have public schools that have classes with 30-40 kids in one class, clases that meet in spaces that are too small or even bathrooms. Meanwhile, a few blocks away, the pta at a "nice" school is arguing over bake sales, while those kids get an education in rooms with smart boards, yoga, latte carts and fewer than 20 kids per room.

I don't think forcing people to register guns (and the added registration fees) would go over well either. It's too much government. Also, never underestimate the laziness.

Since the poster said that registration is already required I was asking why people don't follow this requirement. Since then another poster explained that registration is not required everywhere.

Yeah I don't think anything is required in my state. And private sales mean you don't have to jump through hoops. I bought my biathlon rifle from some guy at the range. (It wasn't that shady, and biathlon has kind of a limited number of people who care) some of our other guns were inherited. It's not like we want to put a price and "get reimbursed" on memories. The problem isn't the guns. It's crime. When people are killed by automobiles, no one says ban the cars, even though cars (and the subsequent need for gas to fuel those cars) kill a lot more people on the regular. And when people are killed because some teenager is on drugs or texting or whatever, no one gives a crash and the feel bad for the irresponsible teenager. She isn't prohibited from driving, once she's out of jail. But a gun owner will be prohibited from guns forever. It's asinine to think that guns (an object) are the problem when people murder each other.

I don't know why you should need to collect door to door. You can give 6 months time to register all firearms or to give in unwanted arms for a compensation, past that date anyone who is caught with an illegal weapon gets a 10 years jail sentence as sure as gold.

You know we already have more people in prison than anywhere else, right? And it's not doing a damn thing to deter crime. Also, wtf, 10 years for an unlicensed object?

Wealth and education equality. That's how you solve systematic violence. We have people who have so much money that they can literally do anything. Those people make sure the system is set up.in their favour. Meanwhile, we have people who live in tents. We have public schools that have classes with 30-40 kids in one class, clases that meet in spaces that are too small or even bathrooms. Meanwhile, a few blocks away, the pta at a "nice" school is arguing over bake sales, while those kids get an education in rooms with smart boards, yoga, latte carts and fewer than 20 kids per room.

I don't think forcing people to register guns (and the added registration fees) would go over well either. It's too much government. Also, never underestimate the laziness.

Absolutely agree with the first paragraph.

As for the second, in Italian I would say fanculo. Who cares if nutbags don't like to make an effort? Do you want to own a gun? Well there's a little bit of paperwork and a fee (the amount can be minimal) and then you can keep your gun. If you are too lazy well probably you shouldn't own a gun in the first place, laziness and responsible ownership don't go well together. Also post World War I Italy was made by a lot of illiterate and law avoiding people, yet people managed to have their firearms registered. So you know , it's possible.

Well, italy has 60 million people, compared to the usa's 320 million. If there are 88 guns per 100 people, whi is going to figure out where those guns are and get them registered.

And yeah, I'm against more government fees. In theory I'm not against a registry, but it's not something I think would be effective and I don't think it's right to create another tax. Especially since I live in a place where subsistance hunting is a thing and people already have difficulty navigating the english language paperwork. I'm also not ok with more people going to jail. Especially for non violent crimes.

You know we already have more people in prison than anywhere else, right? And it's not doing a damn thing to deter crime. Also, wtf, 10 years for an unlicensed object?

I said 10 years to mean a hard sentence. However I wouldn't be surprised if I found in some European country you can get 10 years for illegally owning weapons.

We are discussing a shooting not a mass killing by a drunk teenager. However our Parliament is discussing a sort of "driving licence life sentence" (meaning they can't drive anymore or for sme 30 years) for people guilty of killing someone driving a car and to consider it voluntary or premeditate murder if they were driving under influence of substances.

Archived