IGNORED

Shooting at Oregon Community College

MatthewDuggar

10 dead at the time of this posting. Horrible!

cnn.com/2015/10/01/us/oregon-college-shooting/index.html

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Roseburg is a nice little town. This is just so awful. There are exceptions to this, of course, but I see young people, not being able to solve their problems, not knowing how to manage their lives, and emotions, and it leads to tragic events, like today.

I am watching the newscast regarding the horrific shooting on a college campus in Oregon. My heart goes out to the victims and their families. I can't help but wonder how long until Zsu alleges this is all a conspiracy. I hate to see the lack of compassion some people have for the victims of such terrible crimes.

At first MSN reported 15 dead and now they are saying 7. MSN stays up at work. Grrrr media, reporting people are dead before they really know.

And we worry about outside terrorists taking us down? We're doing just fine on our own, thank you.

How sad is it that stories like this are so common it hardly registers anymore. We will never learn.

Not again. Surely the hard discussion on gun law reform has to start soon America? Every time this happens, as an Australian I am so very bewildered by the level of acceptance and lack of change. Condolences to all affected.

police have confirmed the 20 year old male gunman is dead.

i wonder if he went to or used to go to the school and had a beef with them.

In a USA Today report, a student stated that he shot a teacher in the head and then told students to lie on floor. He allegedly then had them stand up one at a time and state their religion. It does not go into further detail.

In a USA Today report, a student stated that he shot a teacher in the head and then told students to lie on floor. He allegedly then had them stand up one at a time and state their religion. It does not go into further detail.

Off the bat, I have trouble believing this level of detail at this point in the investigation.

I understand the media's desire to be first, but I just can't buy this.

It's pretty common for the numbers of dead/wounded to vary for a while - I tend to treat anything in that realm with a grain of salt.

Off the bat, I have trouble believing this level of detail at this point in the investigation.

I understand the media's desire to be first, but I just can't buy this.

It's pretty common for the numbers of dead/wounded to vary for a while - I tend to treat anything in that realm with a grain of salt.

I saw a couple of Twitter posts from students and then they had responses from various media outlets trying to get in touch with them for interviews. Kind of shameless on the part of the media but not surprising really. I wonder if they actually did get in touch with some of the students for interviews.

I saw a couple of Twitter posts from students and then they had responses from various media outlets trying to get in touch with them for interviews. Kind of shameless on the part of the media but not surprising really. I wonder if they actually did get in touch with some of the students for interviews.

Oh, I'm sure they're trying to, and they may have. But even eyewitnesses are notoriously unreliable. I really think survivors are in the process of being interviewed by law enforcement. I hope the media isn't getting in the middle of that, because they can contaminate the process.

It's just very early to have much information.

And the "Christians at Columbine" story is one that this just sounds way too much like.

Color me skeptical.

How sad is it that stories like this are so common it hardly registers anymore. We will never learn.

Isn't that the truth?? It makes me sick to think that this is becoming so commonplace.

I'm all for gun ownership as my family were hunters growing up in the upper midwest. We used to have to take gun safety classes every year. I grew up in a very "Andy Griffith" type setting and it never crossed my mind to use a gun on another person. I can't imagine becoming so emotionally distraught to resort to gunning down several people at random.

Along with stricter gun laws, maybe mental health screens and/or education should be a requirement for all schools....

Isn't that the truth?? It makes me sick to think that this is becoming so commonplace.

I'm all for gun ownership as my family were hunters growing up in the upper midwest. We used to have to take gun safety classes every year. I grew up in a very "Andy Griffith" type setting and it never crossed my mind to use a gun on another person. I can't imagine becoming so emotionally distraught to resort to gunning down several people at random.

Along with stricter gun laws, maybe mental health screens and/or education should be a requirement for all schools....

yes. this.

i really don't understand why people are against mental health screens and education classes. are they so afraid they won't pass the screen or that they'll flunk a test??

Not again. Surely the hard discussion on gun law reform has to start soon America? Every time this happens, as an Australian I am so very bewildered by the level of acceptance and lack of change. Condolences to all affected.

Ditto...my heart goes out to the families of all involved.

But as an Aussie, I do not understand how this keeps happening in the US, and nothing changes...

Ditto...my heart goes out to the families of all involved.

But as an Aussie, I do not understand how this keeps happening in the US, and nothing changes...

it is called ignorance fear and religion. we think an amendment means we can do anything.

Our problems run much deeper than easy access to guns. Sadly, until the reasons behind wanting to kill are addressed, new gun control laws won't help. Hell, we can't even enforce the laws we have now.

Don't get me wrong, I do believe we need to reform our gun control laws. However, we need to get to the heart of the matter. A good start would be mental health screenings, and deeper background checks. That costs $$$, and I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Our problems run much deeper than easy access to guns. Sadly, until the reasons behind wanting to kill are addressed, new gun control laws won't help. Hell, we can't even enforce the laws we have now.

Don't get me wrong, I do believe we need to reform our gun control laws. However, we need to get to the heart of the matter. A good start would be mental health screenings, and deeper background checks. That costs $$$, and I don't see that happening anytime soon.

I live in a country where owning guns have always been strictly (comparing to the USA) regulated and increasingly so. The regulations don't affect criminal organisations since they don't care for laws of any sort. But normal people are affected by the presece of strict laws, you can clearly see it from every statistic. Massacres in schools simply never happened and what I find particularly telling is that when you examine the background of random shooters (people who don't have a previous criminal record and don't belong to criminal organisations) you find a disproportionate percentage of policemen and private guards (who shooted in not work related situation). These two categories of people are used to carry firearms for work related reasons and they are required by law to be thoroughly checked for mental illnesses. My personal opinion is that the normalization of fire arms (that by the majority of citizens here are considered an abomination) due to work reasons and having arms easily at disposition are two reasons that are more than enough for the categories of people to which these reasons apply to be hugely overrepresented in the shooting stats. Now if you extend these two requirements to a whole population (normalize firearms and let easy access to them) you have America. But since in America live Americans and the majority of them seems to be fine with this situation, well I am none to judge.

John Hanlin, the sheriff of this county, sent a letter to vice-president Biden after the Sandy Hook school shootings in 2013, saying he opposed and would not enforce any gun control laws passed by the Obama administration.

So, an officer of the law is prepared to break the law in order to retain his right (and this shooter's right) to own weapons. He also opposes criminal background checks for those purchasing guns.

Oregon sheriff no fan of gun control

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/02/us/oregon ... index.html

@laPapessaGovanna: I don't think I understand you, but I'll try. Here in America we have a constitutional right to bear arms. That is one big stumbling block for limited gun access. Also there are responsible gun owners who use guns for hunting. To be honest, it would not bother me to see guns allowed for law enforcement or military. I hope that makes sense and that I understood what you were saying.

@morri: Sadly they don't. They have this "guns don't kill, people do" mentality. They don't give a rat's ass about the increasing numbers of mass shootings or number of gun related deaths. They don't want their right to bear arms infringed, and that disgusts me.

Archived