IGNORED

Teri Maxwell gets passive aggressive about the ABC girls

anjulibai

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I get the sense that the Maxwells expect children to revere adults above everyone. They also seem to have a deep disdain for playfulness, childishness, etc. I can see why it'd bother Teri that her grandkids want to exclusively play with the younger aunts because it doesn't mesh with her mindset that older, wiser adults are to be revered, and that children should be willing to interact with adults just as much if not more than with other children/young people. I haven't read their Making Great Conversationalists book cover-to-cover but it seems to emphasize making kids interact with adults in an adult-like manner.

That's a good point. I wonder if things are getting too rowdy with Mary and Anna out back on the Maxwell playground, and Steve and Teri are getting worried? Maxwells, no matter their age, can't be having fun and being silly.

I was curious to see what book Teri was reading. The Pen that Pa Built

One of the reviewers says her 2 year old loves it because of the simple rhyme scheme. She also mentions that the pictures are lush and very detailed. So over all not a bad book for reading aloud but depending on how often she has read it, it might be a bit babyish for a 7 year old. It was actually a better children's book than I expected from the Maxwells and it seems to fit in with their Christian work ethic as it is all about working on a farm. What do you want to bet that the children in the book are hard working and well mannered.

I wonder when the "no reading of books other than the Bible" Rule kicks in?

I was desperately trying to figure out what book Teri was reading to them. Interesting. If books like that are acceptable for children, then why aren't adult non-fiction books about American history or crafting okay? And did the Maxwells ever explicitly say that they don't read anything other than the Bible? Or did Steve just get all condescending once and say he only raises writers, not readers.

For a woman who believes so vehemently in 'the joy of the Lord', Teri Maxwell has the most "I've lost my bucket of happy" face/personality, ever.

I was curious to see what book Teri was reading. The Pen that Pa Built

Isn't "The Pen that Pa Built" sort of a description of where Sarah lives?

Judging by the size of her book bag, the girls have probably heard each book 100 times. I can't imagine what chapter books are acceptable. Probably just the Moody's and the bible.

It could be a special time, reading a chapter or two from a children's classic. But we know none are acceptable.

Can you imagine how entranced they'd be by Charlotte's Web? Or Little House on the Prairie?

Thank God Nathan's kids have other grandparents close to them. If i was Bethany i'd be bored and annoyed too, it's obvious that not only Teri doesn't like children but she's just selfish...

My best moments with my grandma are just talking for hours about royalty and celebrities, when i was a kid i wasn't into it but she's such an amazing storyteller that i got into it... And for the record my grandma doesn't really like kids and she isn't a cuddly type of grandmother but she LOVES us soooo much that it doesn't matter that she's not touchy-feely, my grandma is super cool and very very funny. You don't have to be a kids kind of person to be fun to them.. Teri is miserable and wants everyone to be as miserable as she is... like i said she's SELFISH.

Thank God Nathan's kids have other grandparents close to them. If i was Bethany i'd be bored and annoyed too, it's obvious that not only Teri doesn't like children but she's just selfish...

My best moments with my grandma are just talking for hours about royalty and celebrities, when i was a kid i wasn't into it but she's such an amazing storyteller that i got into it... And for the record my grandma doesn't really like kids and she isn't a cuddly type of grandmother but she LOVES us soooo much that it doesn't matter that she's not touchy-feely, my grandma is super cool and very very funny. You don't have to be a kids kind of person to be fun to them.. Teri is miserable and wants everyone to be as miserable as she is... like i said she's SELFISH.

Indeed. And children recognize it on the instant if someone is only faking affection and interest or is genuine.

Teri seems to see it as a chore to spend time with her granddaughters, because that´s what is expected of her, not because she wants to.

What a sad thing for this girls: 60 minutes of life-time spent in in awkwardness - this will be the memories as adults they will have of their paternal grandma, Poor Sarah and their sisters always come across as genuinely enjoying their auntie-time.

If Teri just would leave them alone and restore to a nice sentence or now adn then, it would be a win-win situation for everyone.

Just went through some old Maxwell posts. For a family that pushes fitness so much, all the Maxwell women have terrible push up form. And the girls don't even plank from their feet.

Can you imagine how entranced they'd be by Charlotte's Web? Or Little House on the Prairie?

Moby Dick, Swiss Family Robinson. Some of my fav's when I was young were the Betsy Tacey Tib books. They were pretty tame, but I'm sure they wouldn't meet "Maxhell standards".

I get the sense that the Maxwells expect children to revere adults above everyone. They also seem to have a deep disdain for playfulness, childishness, etc. I can see why it'd bother Teri that her grandkids want to exclusively play with the younger aunts because it doesn't mesh with her mindset that older, wiser adults are to be revered, and that children should be willing to interact with adults just as much if not more than with other children/young people. I haven't read their Making Great Conversationalists book cover-to-cover but it seems to emphasize making kids interact with adults in an adult-like manner.

Their adult children were raised with only having elderly people to socialize with. That says it all for how Teri and Steve expect children to behave.

Neither of them should have ever had children. I rather believe that, outside of religious fundiedom, they'd both have chosen to be childfree.

Steve and Teri really seem to believe their children and grandchildren exist for them, and them only, and any deviation from that is unacceptable. It's sad, too, that they seem to have convinced their children of that as well.

Moby Dick, Swiss Family Robinson. Some of my fav's when I was young were the Betsy Tacey Tib books. They were pretty tame, but I'm sure they wouldn't meet "Maxhell standards".

The All of a Kind Family, Five Little Peppers and How They Grew, all good books but no way they would pass Maxwell standards.

Aside from the insight into Teri's personality, I think this post also gives good insight into how the scheduling works for the adult children. Technically, they are supposed to be free to make their own schedules now they are adults and yet, clearly, the parents are still controling who does what when, even down to the amount of time spent at the Auntie's park.

Why didn't she try to be more creative and fun like the aunties then?

She's the same woman is so un-fun that she used to play hide and seek by standing in the corner instead of finding a hiding place.....

She's the same woman is so un-fun that she used to play hide and seek by standing in the corner instead of finding a hiding place.....

Really she did that?

Really she did that?

Well, it is a story from the first Moody Family book, but since those books seem to be drawn from real life, it seems likely that Teri was the inspiration. :D

Betsy, Tacy, and Tib were friends! Can't introduce that dangerous notion to the ABC granddaughters.

And I guess even Charlotte's Web would have to be truncated before the part where Fern rides the Ferris Wheel with Henry Fussy.

I agree w/ some of the above to said the Maxwell grand kids r not allowed to have fun.

No one is allowed to have fun in MaxHell :?

As much as I hate Cheryl, Erika Shupe, Jill Rodrigues and J'Chelle... Teri and Steve are the WORST of the WORST in fundieland. You can even see Kelly Bates actually enjoying her grandchildren; those two hate THEIR life together, their kids, their grandkids and just life in general and they want everybody to be miserable as they are, even those little angels who unfortunately are their grandchildren... As much as i loathe Steve i can't sympathize with Teri, that iceberg doesn't have a kind maternal bone in her body and a woman who doesn't lift a finger to protect her kids (and now grandkids) gets no sympathy or compassion from me. I know she had/has depression but i live with it as well and trust me it would be hell on earth if someone messes with my niece, let alone a future kid of mine.

They infuriate me sorry but if there's a hell, i hope satan is waiting for them with a freaking roaster :angry-banghead:

She can only spare one hour in a week? How fucking selfish is that!! Those poor girls having to suffer through their 20 minutes of Grandma from Hell time. While Teri is reading with one girl, what do the other two do? Are they allowed to read on their own? Do they have to read from Teri's bag? I can't think of anything more depressing than that hour of misery those poor girls have scheduled.

Even for the maxwells, that post is weird. Teri's passive/aggressive jealousness, the scheduling of the childults, the awkward pics....

Well, it is a story from the first Moody Family book, but since those books seem to be drawn from real life, it seems likely that Teri was the inspiration. :D

From the Moody books it seems like Terry spent a good bit of her children's childhood sitting in her room avoiding them. It is really tragic. She and Steve should have never had kids because they really don't like them.

This woman can hike for hours but claims she doesn't have the energy of the Aunties, or the creativity! Hell, I don't have much creativity or energy either but I can paint egg cartons and stick black pipe cleaners in them and call them 'spiders.' My 2 young grandsons think I'm a genius! lol

Archived